Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry requirements question?

Options
  • 21-11-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, im looking into masters courses in England at the moment and one thing im quite nervous about is entry requirements. Most, if not all, say they require a 2.1 which im getting but does that just mean the bare minimum and that if you apply with a 2.1 youre going to lost out to all 1.1's automatically or do they take other things into account, possible experience or related extracurriculars for example?

Incidentally i'm massively keen to apply to Cambridge because they do a course that suits me perfectly but am i fooling myself in even thinking of going there if im not top of my class?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mono627

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Hey guys, im looking into masters courses in England at the moment and one thing im quite nervous about is entry requirements. Most, if not all, say they require a 2.1 which im getting but does that just mean the bare minimum and that if you apply with a 2.1 youre going to lost out to all 1.1's automatically or do they take other things into account, possible experience or related extracurriculars for example?

Incidentally i'm massively keen to apply to Cambridge because they do a course that suits me perfectly but am i fooling myself in even thinking of going there if im not top of my class?

Cheers

Really depends where you are applying to. AFAIK Cambridge only accepts students with a first class honours for postgraduate study, although I do stand to be corrected on that one. It would also depend what course you have done and where you have done it. A first from Trinity would carry you a lot further abroad than lets say Tallaght I.T. (nothing against Tallaght I.T. by the way).

You would also have to take funding into account, Cambridge postgraduate studies can be VERY pricey.

Yes most places would take extra-curricular activities and work experience into account as well when admitting students. The main advice I could give you is to apply to all places you think you might even remotely stand a chance getting into. Sure if you're not in, they can't accept you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Good info, cheers. I'm looking at a 2.1 i think (I should be so lucky) so i hope other things i have on the CV will factor in.

Thanks again

Advertisement