Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refurb Project

• 21-11-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Hey all, long time reader. Seldom poster.

I'm doing up my 15 year old bike into a commuter (see pics) and want a few suggestions from you all. I'm going to take my time with this as cash is tight so I have plenty of time to choose parts, but I am lost and need suggestions.

The frame, gears and brake cables are in good condition but both the old wheels are badly buckled. The handle bars are bent and need replacing. Lots of rust in other places.

Need the following:

1. Handlebars & grips
    2. Stem and whatever comes with it
    3. New saddle & seat post
    4. Break Pads
    5. Commuter Wheels & tyres. Original tyres are 26 x 1.95. Can I get thinner, commuter wheels onto this frame?

So let the creative juices flow and let me have your suggestions!

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Nice bike.

I have a bunch of spare parts you are welcome to for a pittance, including saddle, handlbars, grips, seatpost. I also have a 1 and 1/8th inch threaded headset and I think a 1inch threaded headset. Both silver. You could instead pick up a quill to aheadset converter and get a regular stem which tends to be more convenient. That might cause trouble with the canti's, not sure. You could just change to vbrakes though.

I'd get rid of the gears and just convert to singlespeed. Either do it on the cheap and use your existing derailler as a tensioner or get a conversion kit with tensioner.

Strongly recommend a new set of wheels, it's not worth scrimping on wheels. You could get a set made up for ~100 quid which would be quite decent. Merlin are good and you might also get lucky and find some second hand ones.

Thin tyres wouldn't be a problem 1.25 gatorskins are perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Hi Gav,

I'd be interested in one of the saddle posts and the nisene saddle.

I'm going to keep the gears as they are at the moment.

Still need advice on the wheels and tyres in that what size wheels can I put on the bike? Can someone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

not sure about the wheels, but you can certainly go as thin as 1.1/8 for the tyres and that will make the world of difference http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39338

schwalbe city jet 1.5 are not too bad for something a bit cheaper (and wider)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

City Jets are certainly cheap, hard wearing tyres, but they've bugger all grip on wet roads. Not really suitable for this country. Schwalbe Marathons are supposed to be piles better - and they won't break the bank either.
    seve65 wrote: »
    not sure about the wheels, but you can certainly go as thin as 1.1/8 for the tyres and that will make the world of difference http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39338

schwalbe city jet 1.5 are not too bad for something a bit cheaper (and wider)

Advertisement