Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal History Books

Options
  • 21-11-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm looking for a a good book on the history of the area known as Donegal. Ideally something that goes back to prechristian times.

I've been having a gander around and here's a few that pop up ...
    • Donegal: the making of a northern county
    • Donegal history & society: interdisciplinary essays on the history of an irish county.
    • The Outer edge of Ulster: a memoir of social life in nineteenth-century Donegal.
    • The Donegal Awakening: Donegal & The War of Independence.
    • Donegal and the Civil War: The Untold Story
    Can anyone comment on these or recommend some others?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

My favourites are the books written by local historians, each with a different flavour.
    Helen Meehan's large book about the Parish of Inver covers many topics concerning the whole of Donegal.
    Lochlan McGill's In Conall's Footsteps (Ardara district) is really a step by step guide to the history of the district.

Brian Lacey's Archaeology of County Donegal is an extensive list of all sites from pre-Christian to Plantation. maps, plans, photos. Brilliant, the first of its kind, I do believe.

Buildings of North-West Ireland, Alexander Rowan Hamilton, (Pevsner series) is a constant source of reference for me and you will find him referenced in a lot of other books.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

oops, I forgot my summer treat, the Bridges of Carrick and Glencolumbcille. Local author. Lots of titbits of info, for example the track up the middle of Slieve League was built by the Carrick Hotel owners for their visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Lots of good locally written books at the back of Four Masters Bookshop in Donegal Town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I think you might have a problem finding a book focusing on Donegal during pre christian times. Durnish mentioned a couple good ones, also Malachy Sweeney had one on Donegal town.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I appreciate it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Durnish wrote: »
    oops, I forgot my summer treat, the Bridges of Carrick and Glencolumbcille. Local author. Lots of titbits of info, for example the track up the middle of Slieve League was built by the Carrick Hotel owners for their visitors.
    Here is the website for this book http://www.bridgingtheages.com/

Advertisement