Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cowen to address the nation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Comparing 2010 vs 2006 budgets.
    Ouch.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/budget/index.html#year-2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I didnt understand all this about IMF so I went over to the politic forum for a read. I would highly recommend for anyone who may be scared at this moment not to go there. Very very bad news. ****ting bricks here i am, in the cold and dark trying to save money. Going to bed soon. I just want to sleep. Dont want to wake in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

the only thing that will save face for us now, on a world stage, is a riot or a revolution.

we're a ****ing laughing stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

bluewolf wrote: »
    sent as well

Also sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

themadhair wrote: »
    complaints@rte.ie

To whom it may concern,

Earlier this evening there was a press conference wherein the Taoiseach and finance minister of our country told us, the Irish people, that Ireland had formally asked the EU for financial aid. Despite the importance of this event I have to say that I am absolutely livid at RTE and how they covered the event. There are two major bones of contention that have disappointed me greatly;

1) Your journalist asked the first questions off the Taoiseach and the finance minister. Despite this opportunity, your journalist asked the most irrelevant questions of the conference. It is astounding to me that the BBC journalist could display more understanding and solidarity with the Irish people in his questioning than could the RTE journalist.

2) RTE cut their coverage of the conference short, particularly when the hard questions wanted by the Irish people were being asked. Given the importance of this event I am staggered at the editorial decision taken by RTE to cut their coverage of the questioning short.

RTE has a responsibility to keep the Irish people informed of political developments, and that responsibility was shirked tonight. That many people on internet forums learned more details regarding this press conference, and could access the conference in full, on foreign channels rather than the national broadcaster is a disgrace.

The Irish people who pay their licences to fund RTE deserved better.

Regards,

Also add, perhaps after "... broadcaster is a disgrace", the following;

"The conference should be replayed in full on RTÉ television and posted online. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

I posted on this earlier during the news but I think the post got lost when boards timed out.

I don't know who is running RTE news @ 9 but it really does look like they were out to "hide" stuff. If you look at the last live report they even zoomed in on the reporter, possibly to hide the protesters and their signs in the back ground. That is what occurred to me as the zoom happened :( I was trying to read the bloody sign :)

WooHoo! Someone else noticed it :D

http://yfrog.com/2m6htz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Collie D wrote: »
    There is no room for thuggish behaviour in this country, broke or not! The type of people who carry on like that have no place in society. Attacking cars and throwing paint over women or eggs at bankers is criminal behaviour and not a valid form of protest. People who engage in those activities probably don't even vote.

People have the right to be angry.

They have and still are clearly not listening to the people so they deserve everything they get.

Don't get me wrong I do not think riots or violence will work but I understand peoples frustration on wanting to. If you ignore someone or something for long enough they will get frustrated, angry and begin to fester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    I know if i had a chance to confront Cowen and give him a piece of my mind, i would find it quite difficult to not hit him.

And where would that get the country? How would it make you any better than the mindless idiots up and down the country who start fights at 3am? By all means, march on the Dáil, demand a general election. I'll join you. But for God's sake, keep it peaceful.

Whether we like it or not, the deal is being done. We've been sold out. I am as angry as the next person but I'm not going to debase myself by behaving like a common thug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sent from two email accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Jake1 wrote: »
    they trampled all over the flag, Volthar, thats why they couldnt use it.

I thought they used it as their cumrag after they screwed the whole nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

bc dub wrote: »
    the only thing that will save face for us now, on a world stage, is a riot or a revolution.

And this will help us how exactly?

no they wouldnt be that nice, they would have came inside us and not even told us about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I didnt understand all this about IMF so I went over to the politic forum for a read. I would highly recommend for anyone who may be scared at this moment not to go there. Very very bad news. ****ting bricks here i am, in the cold and dark trying to save money. Going to bed soon. I just want to sleep. Dont want to wake in the morning.

Guessed as much from your username :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

About €500 reduction in tax/paye credits for a single person.

Could be worse I suppose. Still, that's 500 quid a lot of people will need.

After all the anger on here tonight it will be interesting to see how many us of will be at Leinster House tomorrow.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Cowen has a holidayhome in roundstone. maybe we can track him down at xmas time and drown the fcuker in nearby waters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

IngazZagni wrote: »

You get a bit of exercise and fresh air. Great for the mind and body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Oh yeah, Cowen said we will be returning to 2006 tax rates. Does anyone remember what the tax rates were in 2006?

I thought I actually misheard this.

It'll be at least 2056 before we return to those tax rates. The tax rates were never that practical anyway (look at Switzerland and Norway). I don't know exactly what the rates were, but we had some of the lowest in Europe at the time. The aftermath to the McCreevy era.

Cowen is either deluded or else he thinks the whole of Europe is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

If there is any good to come of this, then it's the death of Fianna Fail!

Good riddance to them!!

Haughy set the tone for party and now lets hope that them or their likes never get power in this county again!

• Advertisement

F-Stop wrote: »
    I thought they used it as their cumrag after the screwed the whole nation.

no they wouldnt be that nice, they would have came inside us and not even told us about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Javiero

bc dub wrote: »

Ive heard that they have invested a lot of money into a Riot defense force. With specially trained horses. The works...

Any protesters would probably be slaughtered :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

well its as simple as this RTE is run by the state.:D

Guys where can i watch the full thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Not to worry, folks, the IMF is standing by to help:
    “I welcome the response from the European Union and euro-area Member States to the Irish Government's request for financial assistance to safeguard financial stability. “At the request of the Irish authorities, the IMF stands ready to join this effort, including through a multi-year loan. An IMF team, currently in Ireland for technical talks, will now begin to hold swift discussions on an economic program with the Irish authorities, the European Commission, and the European Central Bank.”

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Sitting back and taking it up the ass has gotten us so far already:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

If there was a riot before the bank guarantee was signed, perhaos we would be in trouble today but not sunk (assuming any one in power paid attention, which to be fair is unlikely).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I thought I actually misheard this.

It'll be at least 2056 before we return to those tax rates. The tax rates were never that practical anyway (look at Switzerland and Norway). I don't know exactly what the rates were, but we had some of the lowest in Europe at the time. The aftermath to the McCreevy era.

Cowen is either deluded or else he thinks the whole of Europe is stupid.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/budget/2006/income-tax.html

WooHoo! Someone else noticed it :D

http://yfrog.com/2m6htz

i saw it also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That was a paltry delivery from Cowen. He showed zero empathy and seemed to be in a hurry to get through his statement, stumbling even at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

After all the anger on here tonight it will be interesting to see how many us of will be at Leinster House tomorrow.:confused:

No Thursday at midday at Leinster House.

alanatoday wrote: »
    In fairness it did look like the only flag on most of the shots, which could have been quite worrying!

Well I watched on rte online, and I didnt see the irish flag either, it may as well have been out in the hall :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

Galway K9 wrote: »
    well its as simple as this RTE is run by the state.:D

Guys where can i watch the full thing?

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2010/1121/media-2858512.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

And where would that get the country? How would it make you any better than the mindless idiots up and down the country who start fights at 3am? By all means, march on the Dáil, demand a general election. I'll join you. But for God's sake, keep it peaceful.

Whether we like it or not, the deal is being done. We've been sold out. I am as angry as the next person but I'm not going to debase myself by behaving like a common thug.

Berlusconi deserved that statue across the face, Bush deserved the shoe and Cowen deserved a banged up bonnet. I don't those regard those actions as thuggish. I call it tough justice!

If it makes the people behind it thugs in certain people's eyes, then so be it. I don't go to bed at night feeling sorry for Silvio, George and Brian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

One of the protestors was hit by a ministers car leaving Leinster House, shown on BBC News a guy lying on the ground. People going crazy as the ministers left.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    No Thursday at midday at Leinster House.

ok, thursday, but honestly why the wait till thursday????

Well I watched on rte online, and I didnt see the irish flag either, it may as well have been out in the hall :)

do you think cowen deserves to have the irish flag anywhere near him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

On his coffin maybe.

I do not. Him and his ilk have sullied it more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Aidric wrote: »
    That was a paltry delivery from Cowen. He showed zero empathy and seemed to be in a hurry to get through his statement, stumbling even at times.

Have to agree he looked very ashamed meanwhile the udder Brian seemed to be almost enjoying himself. Did anyone hear what seemed like a turkey during the press conference? What the hell was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dikdaan

Berlusconi deserved that statue across the face, Bush deserved the shoe and Cowen deserved a banged up bonnet. I don't those regard those actions as thuggish. I call it tough justice!

If it makes the people behind it thugs in certain people's eyes, then so be it. I don't go to bed at night feeling sorry for Silvio, George and Brian.

Well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

To all the people advocating violence. Congratulations! You are suggesting the one thing that could make Ireland look even worse. The only thing we have is that we man up as a country and take our medicine for putting in charge Fianna Fail (and later the Greens) who brought us to our knees. The idea that we become a second Greece and cause instability that will drive out any and every foreign business left here is what you would do with riots. Some people are suggesting ludicrous actions, like resisting austerity. Grow up. We had the good, it's time for the bad. And nothing will change that. What you can do is come the start of next year, don't let the people who put us in this situation back in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

How can the Garda be so violent against a small number of protestors outside the Dáil?

I mean... some of the garda were acting like skangers starting on them.

Garda and Riot Squad shouldnt be used anymore in any public demonstrations. Let the DF Public Order units in. They might know how to use reasonable levels of force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

it was Dick Roches car btw, not clowens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Have to agree he looked very ashamed meanwhile the udder Brian seemed to be almost enjoying himself. Did anyone hear what seemed like a turkey during the press conference? What the hell was that?

Mary Coughlan more than likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Mary O Rourke

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

bnt wrote: »
    Not to worry, folks, the IMF is standing by to help:

So is the UK who could also make an extra contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

To be honest it probably wouldnt do a whole lot. But i want this prick to feel the pain some of my friends are feeling. But with his cushy little pay packet and pension, he never will. In his little ivory tower, everything is rosey, everyone is smiling and happy. He wont have to look his kids in the eye's and tell them everything will be ok, that daddy will have a job soon and then they can turn back on the heating. He wont have to spend all night sitting on his couch in tears wondering how he's gonna pay his mortgage this month, or willl his children have to wake up on christmas morning to an empty tree. It breaks my heart to see some of my friends in this trouble, and though i try to help and give advice, there is only so much i can do.

So yes, i want him to pay, i want him to pay BIG TIME.

time to put on tv3!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Sometimes you can just smell a riot coming. It might not be tomorrow or this week but it will come. When average Joe or Jane has had enough and can't put food on the table or keep a roof over their families head it won't end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Buceph wrote: »
    To all the people advocating violence. Congratulations! You are suggesting the one thing that could make Ireland look even worse. The only thing we have is that we man up as a country and take our medicine for putting in charge Fianna Fail (and later the Greens) who brought us to our knees. The idea that we become a second Greece and cause instability that will drive out any and every foreign business left here is what you would do with riots. Some people are suggesting ludicrous actions, like resisting austerity. Grow up. We had the good, it's time for the bad. And nothing will change that. What you can do is come the start of next year, don't let the people who put us in this situation back in charge.

Your dead right so far as we voted them in, but not cowen!

Also i agree, prob people in here complaing about FF who were the very ones who got their children and family to vote FF because they always have. Its not fair for the rest to suffer when we didnt vote him in.
    Democracy doesnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

time to put on tv3!!!!!

Thanks, was just about to watch motd, didn't know he was on tonight, should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

Buceph wrote: »
    Some people are suggesting ludicrous actions, like resisting austerity. Grow up.
    Should Angela Merkel grow up to for suggesting that the shysters who helped create this mess should bear the brunt of it?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/1112/1224283151994.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement