Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cowen to address the nation

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

So are people going to the march on Saturday then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Vincent ranting didn't so bad as people are saying, he was saying what is on ALL our minds. Good stuff.

I still don't want violence over this, though I know its going to come to that. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Ginny wrote: »

Everyone except the guy who got run over just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Liam282

My guess is that they (IMF) will close AIB or at least merge it with BOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Bambi wrote: »
    There must be video of the actual incident, wonder if the copper driving will face repercussions?

For what? No video has come out. For all we know some guy jumped in front of a moving car. Could very will be a chancer looking to screw money out of our already broke state with a compo case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Vincent ranting didn't so bad as people are saying, he was saying what is on ALL our minds. Good stuff.

I still don't want violence over this, though I know its going to come to that. :(

I don't want violence but I fear it may be necessary to out these spoofers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Has anyone ever seen Mary Hanafin in the same outfit twice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

themadhair wrote: »
    Classic side step. Care to address her point that taxpayers should not be the ones covering the bets of private industry? I doubt you will since you seem to think speaking the truth is harming the markets.

Wow you don't know what my politics are at all do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Collie D wrote: »

Look at the student protests. A good reason to march, thousands of people on the streets making their voices heard. What do we remember? A few idiots.

Honest question.

If not for the violence at the student protests, would anyone remember anything from it at all? It would've gotten a 2 minute news clip on RTE and that's the end of it.

At least now it will be on Reeling In The Years - Noughties Edition :D

Seriously, I hope there is no violence at the upcoming protests. But I think you vastly under-estimate the possible ramifications of showing those in power that if they continue to mess around with us they will be in danger.

Surely the more they fear the people the more they will act within the interests of the people? Or am I just naive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Jesus, they pour out of Leinster House in a procession of Mercs, in the midst of all this?

+ 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Keep an eye on Fionan Sheehan on the panel he has connections to the FF mafia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

They were some pains Cowen went to in terms of waffling in order to dodge answering the questions put to him while bamboozling the average joe at the same time. Walk tall Brian, walk tall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Z Brannigan

Just to confirm - the person who was run over is a member of Sinn Féin youth wing.

He is currently getting Xrays on his leg.

He was hit by Batt O'Keefes car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 stevo5

Crosáidí wrote: »
    HOPE HE'S RESIGNING

Ff should disband:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

skelliser wrote: »
    yes, thats the sad thing about it.

I got wind of this announcement from the bbc and sky news ffs!

foreign news channels!!!

Where was rte?!

I got it from boards.ie and I knew well from experience not to go to RTE. I remember the time it was reported in the International media that 'the Dail was being stormed' -RTE completely bypassed it on the 9 o'clock news and IIRC only barely mentioned it on the late news.

As it turned out the story was less of a storming and more of a minor breach of the gates but I knew then for future events I would automatically go to the external International news channels and not bother looking at the RTE propeganda and spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toobeyshaw

bleg wrote: »
    RTE giving us a history lesson.... I saw reeling in the years earlier lads...

Couldn't believe they showed an episode from 2005 mentioning the booming construction sector and great economy of Ireland today of all days!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I maybe wrong but sooner rather than later I think one of the FF dail members will be taken out of it, people are really on the edge and all it will take for someone to lose the plot and blow them away.

We have watched our country ruined by banks and our so called leaders. They bail out their buddies and leave the rest of us to rot and bail all them overpaid traitors.

They should hang their heads in shame, problem is they wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

Wow you don't know what my politics are at all do you?
    Another classic side step. Care to address the point Angela was making? Since that was the reason I introduced it, and since you apparently took exception to it, care to actually address it? Or did you have nothing but an irrelevant fail-jibe to offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    They were some pains Cowen went to in terms of waffling in order to dodge answering the questions put to him while bamboozling the average joe at the same time. Walk tall Brian, walk tall.

"Going forward" as a buzz phrase has now been replace with "I don't accept that."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

If they want security, stick two of em to a squad car or something...

That wouldn't achieve anything. Bar maybe giving the foreign press a very intense journalistic hard-on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Just to confirm - the person who was run over is a member of Sinn Féin youth wing.

He is currently getting Xrays on his leg.

A Shinner getting his leg broken?

There's irony in that somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I thought it was cockroache's?

Sorry, I'll amend that, the car he has the use of, at our expense.

(O Keeffe and Roche do look similiar, so maybe that's where the confusion arose.)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Anyone else completely embarrassed and humiliated right now?? Brian Cowen carrying on like he had the public interest at heart all along but hit a "whoopsie" a whoopsie that hes not willing to take responsibility for and apparently never seen coming. The amount of lies, procrastinating and fobbing off that FF have done in the last week alone is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

It's fun to watch hanafin squirm on RTE right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Seriously, I hope there is no violence at the upcoming protests. But I think you vastly under-estimate the possible ramifications of showing those in power that if they continue to mess around with us they will be in danger. ?

Surely the more they fear the people the more they will act within the interests of the people? Or am I just naive?

Maybe I do under-estimate it. Although FF have gotten away with murder for so long and been re-elected so often that they honestly think they stand a chanceof staying in power. Either way, they'll cling to power until their own back-benchers get fed up of taking it in the neck and collapse the government from within (I'm giving FF back-benchers the benfit of the doubt in assuming they have that shred of decney in them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Buceph wrote: »
    For what? No video has come out. For all we know some guy jumped in front of a moving car. Could very will be a chancer looking to screw money out of our already broke state with a compo case.

BBC say that the car hit him and ran over him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

toobeyshaw wrote: »
    Couldn't believe they showed an episode from 2005 mentioning the booming construction sector and great economy of Ireland today of all days!

Did you hear the soundtrack that went with it, though ? 100% top-class irony!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

happypants wrote: »
    Anyone else completely embarrassed and humiliated right now?? Brian Cowen carrying on like he had the public interest at heart all along but hit a "whoopsie" a whoopsie that hes not willing to take responsibility for and apparently never seen coming. The amount of lies, procrastinating and fobbing off that FF have done in the last week alone is shocking.

Not as much as seriously concerned about the future. I'm tempted to grab all my things and run to Canada as soon as I've finished my degree! I'm almost fearful of what living here could mean for me in the years to come :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Ah, the Battmobile. Many a villian has found themself under the wheels of that car.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    That wouldn't achieve anything. Bar maybe giving the foreign press a very intense journalistic hard-on.

I know it wouldn't, in fact it would probably cost more.

But that's not my point, it shows, as always, a distinct lack of empathy with the public view on behalf of FF.

Dark blue Mondeos would be fine, they don't have to be liveried cars.

If it were the real world, they'd be driving their own bloody cars anyway, tbh. The thought of my taxes and yours going to cossetting their asses in leather and aircon...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sent the following into the Vincent Brown special: tonight@tv3.ie
    Question: how can we believe what our ministers have said tonight when they have lied all week about even holding meetings and talks?
    Lied directly and repeatedly to the public, to the nations cameras and media outlets!

They are a national shameful disgrace!

I look forwards (if lucky) to hearing any response!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

The revolution will not be televised*...

(on RTE)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Why did they spend all week denying this was happening? What possible good did that do for anyone; including them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

is Mary Hannifin quivering on TWIP?

She's gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

kincsem wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen Mary Hanafin in the same outfit twice?

better than seeing her in no outfit imo

Send your complaints to Pravda, Donnybrook, Dublin 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Biggins wrote: »
    Sent the following into the Vincent Brown special: tonight@tv3.ie

I look forwards (if lucky) to hearing any response!

Did they lie though or just not disclose?

I actually don't remember :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Ginny wrote: »

Yep. I am going to do a banner with just the words; GET OUT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ah, the Battmobile. Many a villian has found themself under the wheels of that car.

We could do with a real life Batman right now. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

efb wrote: »

She's gone!

Please don't fall for it. She made sure not to apologise or admit shame.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

They actively denied that they were considering bail-out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

that ould chancer fitzgerald on RTE now "we have to take desperate measures" he was'nt saying that when the banks gave him his own personal bailout was he? hypocritical old vulture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

efb wrote: »

Yeah I think she was. I can't stand her but at least she went on to the show. Have to respect her for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

What about TD's pay and pensions???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

jblynam Joe Lynam
    #Ireland 4 year plan to be published on Weds now. Not Tuesday.

just when you think they can't get worse......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Years of Robbin', tonight a pathetic speech from the Joker & Two-face and now a fast getaway in the Battmobile. A Dark Night all-round.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

Just saw Batty there saying he honestly 'didn't know the talks were taking place'... That just makes him and cronies look even more ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Remember Lenihan and another (Noel Dempsey) on the steps of their offices days ago?
    "There are no talks taking place" and he looked for confirmation to his office mate to confirm and he did!
    "Yes, there is no talks whatsoever! Its just media speculation!"

As it was said in todays paper:
    ...poll has found, in summary, that the people are deeply resentful at the manner in which they believe the Government “lied” to them last week, and, consequentially, at the apparent lack of respect inherent in the Coalition’s public relations strategy. As Mr O’Dea writes today: “Putting out ministers to insist that the emperor is beautifully robed when onlookers can plainly see he is stark naked cannot be justified as a media strategy, even by the most inept of communications managers.”

Asked whether they welcomed the IMF intervention, 63 per cent said yes and 37 per cent said no. Asked if there was tactical advantage in the Government “lying” to the public last week, 79 per cent said no and 21 per cent said yes. The country is divided, but largely indifferent, on the question of whether the events of last week were a betrayal of the men and women of 1916: 47 per cent said yes, but 53 per cent said no.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/a-nations-outrage-to-drive-cowen-out-2429376.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

This government needs a big fright

and over the next month it is going to get one

enough is enough

What are you gonna do? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Please don't fall for it. She made sure not to apologise or admit shame.

Fall for what, her weakness?

She seem to be the fall guy for FF (Her and Carey) what about big bullock t!ts coughlan

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement