Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do i go from here?

• 21-11-2010 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

hey

ok so my story is I finally decided to buy my first SLR about a year ago. Iv been all over europe travelling with it and iv used it quite alot.. But now im few up with just having the standard 18.55mm lens.. and want to take the plunge and splash out... and by splash out i mean no more than 300.... Im a student ye see..

id love a 24-105mm but these are woful expensive!! so i think thats of the cards.. so any ideas? at the moment i love landscape but iv also just started into sports.. mainy water based like rowing and kayaking but the 55mm is no good really for that.. (need a faster lens)

any ideas or am i being too tight with my budget?

cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

i use a sigma 70-300mm for some landscape and some motor sport and find it excellent it cost me 200 euros well not me it was a present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I have a Tamron 70-300mm that was around $300 USD when I bought it... I think it's probably around €300.
    But.. something like a 55-200 might work well for you.. and you can probably get one used to save some dosh.

The main lenses I use are my Sigma 17-70 and my Tamron 70-300 becasue carrying those two lenses is easy, and they're both reasonably good lenses (excellent considering their price) The Sigma someone mentioned above is a lot like the Tamron I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Toby_2010

Cheers guys!! ill have a look into these :D

Iv decided to go for the Sigma 17-70... its selling for 360 on pixmania.ie... is this a good price? i'm going to drop into whelans in limerick Wednesday too to check them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

have that lens if you want to try it before buying .... you'd have to borrow/test it in Dublin though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Toby_2010 wrote: »
    Iv decided to go for the Sigma 17-70... its selling for 360 on pixmania.ie... is this a good price? i'm going to drop into whelans in limerick Wednesday too to check them out

Tamron 70-300mm £169 + delivery on Jessops?

Wow thats sound of you.. unfortunatly ill be stuck in Limerick till close to christmas.. exams coming up.. :( But if I havent bought it before then ill get in contact! :D Do you find it an all round good lens? its the 2.8 appature which is really appealing at the moment.! but again im a complete novice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I havent used it .... bought it last year...on a whim !!

as far as I remember its f2.8 all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

I did a lot of research last year and ended up buying one of these - don't be put off by the price here - you can get em a lot cheaper - I love this lens tho it is a wee bit heavy, the zoom ring is a bit too close to the body and is a wee bit clunky when moving - all in all tho optically it is sweet .

I wouldn't have the money for a canon version but I get a lot of enjoyment from taking pictures with this - it has great depth of field also .

Not sure would it have a long enough range for you - what camera are u using btw ?

Advertisement