Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SPL Ref's to Strike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I have never read as much dribble in all my life. Upto now, I deliberately just stood back and laughed at some of the nonsense on this thread, but enough is enough. The reason the refs are going on strike is down to Celtic football club and their supporters. The SFA also have to take some responsibility for not hammering Lennon earlier this season for bringing the game intn disrupute. This 'honest' mistakes inuendo is both disgusting and dispicable. I have been following the Scottish game in recent years and have faithfully supported Scottish clubs in Europe through thick and thin. Scottish football has had many lows over this time but none lower than this. The refs have been left with no choice but to strike. This pro Rangers anti Celtic bias that a section of Celtic supporters would have you believe is comical. Individuals that come on, quoting this decision and that decision went against Celtic blah de blah etc etc. What planet do they live on? They share the same planet as the rest of us, but it is a different world they inhabit. Every club could produce a dossier of decisions that have gone against them over the years, Celtic seem to think they have a monoply on them?! Of course standards can be improved, but when officials of Celtic imply they are effectively corrupt, then it has gone way too far. The results of this are all to obvious, just ask Willie Collum's family. Poor Willie had the audacity to incorrectly call a penalty decision against Celtic? Build a bridge and get over it Bhoys. The only criticism I would have of the refs is that they didn't have the balls to boycott Celtic games only, rather than the approach taken where the innocent suffer too. A sad sad state of affairs that it has come to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Ref's from Ireland at the weekend ! Will one of them take charge of the rangers ?? Should be interesting, http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/1123/1224283957707.html

Thats fine you do so do every other club and thats going to be fun when they all start that
    Awww poor Celtic its only them that decisions go against :rolleyes:

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The SFA are considering bringing in Irish referees. This could be interesting :D

Scabs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

celticbest wrote: »
    Ref's from Ireland at the weekend ! Will one of them take charge of the rangers ?? Should be interesting, http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/1123/1224283957707.html

Walter Smith didn't like it when a linesman had an Irish name - what will happen when he finds out the referee is actually IRISH :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

There are a couple of points the writer has right they both should be out of a job as has been said many times.
    But I still don't believe the email was sectarian you yourself said you found it amusing.He should not have sent it from his workplace and for that he has to go.
    Also to be fair the guy that writes scotzine is a rabid Celtic fan who himself has been known to make less than savoury comments

Well, my sense of humour isnt what you'd call mainstream or politically correct! Plus, I've no time for any religions. Just because I found it funny, doesnt mean for one second that practising Catholics wouldnt find it offensive in the extreme. One thing you shouldn't do is take the piss out of someone's belief's.

I do think Hugh Dallas has a personal agenda against Celtic, he has suffered more than most at the hands of the thugs that commit thuggery in the name of our club. I do think he didnt want McDonald to "go down" for getting a decision right against Celtic and had a hand in the cover up. I think people working within the SFA have knowledge of this are covering for Dallas (not a clue why) and we'll never have an impartial system because of the nepotism that has always existed in that organisation.My thinking is not paranoia but a logical assessment of the facts.

Its sad for Scottish Football that these people's jobs are considered safe even though every man, women and child that part with money to watch the game knows the details of the corruption and incompetence that exists. It goes all the way up to George Peat because either he's incompetent and doesnt know whats going on within the office he's suppose to run or he's in on the act, turning blind eyes etc. Either way, he's guilty but again not accountable to the paying public.

Brewster wrote: »
    I have never read as much dribble in all my life. Upto now, I deliberately just stood back and laughed at some of the nonsense on this thread, but enough is enough. The reason the refs are going on strike is down to Celtic football club and their supporters. The SFA also have to take some responsibility for not hammering Lennon earlier this season for bringing the game intn disrupute. This 'honest' mistakes inuendo is both disgusting and dispicable. I have been following the Scottish game in recent years and have faithfully supported Scottish clubs in Europe through thick and thin. Scottish football has had many lows over this time but none lower than this. The refs have been left with no choice but to strike. This pro Rangers anti Celtic bias that a section of Celtic supporters would have you believe is comical. Individuals that come on, quoting this decision and that decision went against Celtic blah de blah etc etc. What planet do they live on? They share the same planet as the rest of us, but it is a different world they inhabit. Every club could produce a dossier of decisions that have gone against them over the years, Celtic seem to think they have a monoply on them?! Of course standards can be improved, but when officials of Celtic imply they are effectively corrupt, then it has gone way too far. The results of this are all to obvious, just ask Willie Collum's family. Poor Willie had the audacity to incorrectly call a penalty decision against Celtic? Build a bridge and get over it Bhoys. The only criticism I would have of the refs is that they didn't have the balls to boycott Celtic games only, rather than the approach taken where the innocent suffer too. A sad sad state of affairs that it has come to this.

You always maintained that referee's were up to scratch in Scotland. 80% of grade one referee's fail the written exam. They arent fit for purpose, no other league would allow this to happen but we should just get on with it? If Celtic didnt bring the SFA and referee's to this point, would we have found out about the clearest indicator of all that they are WELL BELOW the standards required? I think not. Changes need to happen and there needs to be a plan implemented before they finish their strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Dempsey wrote: »
    Well, my sense of humour isnt what you'd call mainstream or politically correct! Plus, I've no time for any religions. Just because I found it funny, doesnt mean for one second that practising Catholics wouldnt find it offensive in the extreme. One thing you shouldn't do is take the piss out of someone's belief's.

I do think Hugh Dallas has a personal agenda against Celtic, he has suffered more than most at the hands of the thugs that commit thuggery in the name of our club. I do think he didnt want McDonald to "go down" for getting a decision right against Celtic and had a hand in the cover up. I think people working within the SFA have knowledge of this are covering for Dallas (not a clue why) and we'll never have an impartial system because of the nepotism that has always existed in that organisation.My thinking is not paranoia but a logical assessments of the facts.

Its sad for Scottish Football that these people's jobs are considered safe even though every man, women and child that part with money to watch the game knows the details of the corruption and incompetence that exists. It goes all the way up to George Peat because either he's incompetent and doesnt know whats going on within the office he's suppose to run or he's in on the act, turning blind eyes etc. Either way, he's guilty but again not accountable to the paying public.

As to the first part as a fully fledged practicing RC I wasn't offended and to be frank if that offended people then they need to get a life to me it was satirical from the point of view and lets be straight he did cover up abuse.

As to the rest of your post I know where your coming from but I don't know if I agree
    Dallas should be sacked for the simple reason he should not have sent that email from his workplace
    I would also agree that there needs to be more accountability and the SFA needs overhauled from top to bottom purely IMO because they are incompetent and there is to much of Jobs for the Boys syndrome

I stopped growing many years ago and am quite happy with my height :D

We'll just have to wait and see what happens at the weekend, will the referees have the balls to carry through there threat ?

If they do will it last more than one week ??

What will the reaction be to Irish ref's if there needed & by chance make a big mistake in a rangers game??

Well the head of Refs here has said he doesn't want his Refs intruding in another countries jurisdiction ;)

As to the first part as a fully fledged practicing RC I wasn't offended and to be frank if that offended people then they need to get a life to me it was satirical from the point of view and lets be straight he did cover up abuse.

As to the rest of your post I know where your coming from but I don't know if I agree
    Dallas should be sacked for the simple reason he should not have sent that email from his workplace
    I would also agree that there needs to be more accountability and the SFA needs overhauled from top to bottom purely IMO because they are incompetent and there is to much of Jobs for the Boys syndrome

Well, your opinion doesnt set the bar for whats acceptable and whats not. Neither does mine.

You dont think he could possibly have a slant against Celtic because of all the shít him and his family have endured over the years from thugs wearing Celtic jersey's? I wouldnt rule it out, how can you?

• Advertisement

You dont think he could possibly have a slant against Celtic because of all the shít him and his family have endured over the years from thugs wearing Celtic jersey's? I wouldnt rule it out, how can you?

Not ruling it out I just don't think its necessarily true

Well, your opinion doesnt set the bar for whats acceptable and whats not. Neither does mine.

No it doesn't but the strange thing is the only people who I have talked to that were offended by it are ones that never go near a church ;)

When I say talked to I mean in real life not a forum

No it doesn't but the strange thing is the only people who I have talked to that were offended by it are ones that never go near a church ;)

When I say talked to I mean in real life not a forum

These all rebel song loving barstool bombing celtic fans?? :pac:

These all rebel song loving barstool bombing celtic fans?? :pac:

LOL Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

What will the reaction be to Irish ref's if there needed & by chance make a big mistake in a rangers game??

More importantly, what will the reaction be if an Irish ref was to make an "honest mistake" in the Celtic game? ;)

Well the head of Refs here has said he doesn't want his Refs intruding in another countries jurisdiction ;)

FAI doesn't seem to have a problem if requested,

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/fai-will-consider-any-official-request-to-send-refs-to-sfa-games-482814.html

I haven't seen anything about it being a problem anywhere.....

Eirebear wrote: »
    More importantly, what will the reaction be if an Irish ref was to make an "honest mistake" in the Celtic game? ;)

At least we'll know it was an honest mistake & it will not be accompanied by a bucket full of lies to try to cover it up.

As I said before it will be far more interesting to see rangers reaction to one of those calls, they has never been in that boat before in Scotland.

FAI doesn't seem to have a problem if requested,

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/fai-will-consider-any-official-request-to-send-refs-to-sfa-games-482814.html

I haven't seen anything about it being a problem anywhere.....

He said it in an Interview on newstalk his morning
    At least we'll know it was an honest mistake & it will not be accompanied by a bucket full of lies to try to cover it up.

As I said before it will be far more interesting to see rangers reaction to one of those calls, they has never been in that boat before in Scotland.

LOL get a grip

One thing I have to point out in all this its SCOTTISH FOOTBALL not Irish or any other country so why should these Refs be considered

He said it in an Interview on newstalk his morning

Added on. Have gone through the newstalk website and there's no mention
    LOL get a grip

One thing I have to point out in all this its SCOTTISH FOOTBALL not Irish or any other country so why should these Refs be considered

:eek: MAYBE BECUASE THE SCOTTISH FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION ARE LOOKIN FOR THEM, WHY ARE YOU GETTING A BIT WORRIED.............

• Advertisement

MAYBE BECUASE THE SCOTTICH FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION ARE LOOKIN FOR THEM, WHY ARE YOU GETTING A BIT WORRIED.............

Why on earth would I be worried the simple fact is I don't believe any Refs other than those from the Country in question should be used to Referee domestic games why should they
    Pretty sure clubs in most countries would not like officials from outside brought in.
    Now you seem to be making a big thing about the Irish refs why is this your club are Scottish not Irish though at times they and some of there fans forget this

Why on earth would I be worried the simple fact is I don't believe any Refs other than those from the Country in question should be used to Referee domestic games why should they
    Pretty sure clubs in most countries would not like officials from outside brought in.
    Now you seem to be making a big thing about the Irish refs why is this your club are Scottish not Irish though at times they and some of there fans forget this

Doesnt bother me who refs a match, as long as they are up to the standard, why is it a problem that "outsiders" are most likely going to officiate Scottish matches?? Sounds like you are getting paranoid and all that other bull you say about Celtic fans

Doesnt bother me who refs a match, as long as they are up to the standard, why is it a problem that "outsiders" are most likely going to officiate Scottish matches?? Sounds like you are getting paranoid and all that other bull you say about Celtic fans

Nothing paranoid about it Dempsey as I said I don't agree with it in principle the SFA have to get there house in order not involve other refs associations.
    What happens when the Scottish refs say feck it we will carry this strike on week after week as long as they use outsiders Scottish football will sink even lower as it can't afford the cost of doing bringing people in week after week

Nothing paranoid about it Dempsey as I said I don't agree with it in principle the SFA have to get there house in order not involve other refs associations.
    What happens when the Scottish refs say feck it we will carry this strike on week after week as long as they use outsiders Scottish football will sink even lower as it can't afford the cost of doing bringing people in week after week

If having outside referees improves the quality of the game then maybe clubs will get bigger crowd as a result.

If having outside referees improves the quality of the game then maybe clubs will get bigger crowd as a result.

Tell me though is it outside refs you want or is it really outside refs from Ireland ;)

To strike because people were hired in place of you because you went on strike? Wouldnt surprise me!

SFA have a contract with the SPL & SFL to provide referee's for league matches. If they dont provide an option for this weekend, we could have a scenario where the SPL & SFL sues the SFA for breach of contract and seeking millions in damages. That would be farcical too.

SFA have to do their legal obligations, getting help from other FA's doesnt bother me in the slightest. Getting those referee's off strike without putting a plan in place to improve standards etc then I think fans should boycot games or something because things cannot continue like they have imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

It was on a dreary November Day as the shades of night came down
    A lorryload of referees approached the Border Town
    There were refs from Dublin and From Cork
    And Linesmen from Tyrone
    But the leader of the SFA
    sang "The famines over, why don't you go home"

:eek: Need I say more :confused:

You won't get them from those countries as they have games of their own
    Need I say more ;)

Only 5 of 31 grade 1 scottish referees passed their own exam in February of this year. Pass mark was 80, the highest non-pass was 70 and one ref got 50.

Only 5 of 31 grade 1 scottish referees passed their own exam in February of this year. Pass mark was 80, the highest non-pass was 70 and one ref got 50.

Yep and they are on strike because they are getting decisions wrong despite KNOWING that they arent up to scratch and the SFA have stood back in silence whilst the integrity of the league went down the toilet.

The longer this goes on, the more i lose patience with the SFA and the Ref's.

I still dont agree with the manner in which Celtic have went after referee's this season but that's been discussed to death.

How do we move forward? For me, we need an independant arbitrator which handles referees and their performances, we need proper targets and guidlines in which officials need to work under.

However inbuilt into that we need a certain amount of protection for refs. We need to understand that mistakes can and will be made in a fast paced game, and given the technology surrounding football matches nowadays that these will be highlighted more and more often.

Players and managers make mistakes on a regular basis, however they are answerable to their superiors and will face being dropped, sold, sacked etc if performances are unnaceptable.
    How do we make sure match officials face the same?

I certainly dont believe that the clubs should have too much involvment in this operation, as passions run too high and the nature of football tends to build up grudges and rivalries. Clubs picking and chosing officials isnt something the game needs.

• Advertisement

:confused:"No Choice"..........This to me shows there lack of integrity, they haven't got the balls to go out and ref and show they can make the right decisions at the right time. They want to be able to go out make incorrect calls all the time and never get questioned, in no other job could you make mistakes and not expect to have to answer questions as to why.

Hopefully the SFA can organise to bring in some foreign referees this weekend & then we can compare the standard of Scottish ref's to those from say Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Holland & England. If one ref was brought in from each of these countries then all this weekends SPL fixtures would be covered.

Who knows, if they do a good job there might be no need for any Scottish refs in the SPL in the future............"dreams".
    You won't get them from those countries as they have games of their own
    Need I say more ;)

So you suggest I keep going on about Irish refs but in one of my original posts above on the subject I mentioned several other countries.

Then you come back and say that there are no ref's available from any of those earlier mentioned counties, (which by the way are all the countries of the big leagues in Europe).

So as Ireland is left as just about the only other viable alternative why then should I not go on about it :confused: Is it because you have such a fear of Irish ref's making the right calls & in the process showing up how poor the SFA Ref's calls have been so far this season??

The SFA has a contract to supply Ref's for all SPL games, this contract as far as I'm aware does not state were the Ref's comes from.

So you suggest I keep going on about Irish refs but in one of my original posts above on the subject I mentioned several other countries.

Then you come back and say that there are no ref's available from any of those earlier mentioned counties, (which by the way are all the countries of the big leagues in Europe).

So as Ireland is left as just about the only other viable alternative why then should I not go on about it :confused: Is it because you have such a fear of Irish ref's making the right calls & in the process showing up how poor the SFA Ref's calls have been so far this season??

The SFA has a contract to supply Ref's for all SPL games, this contract as far as I'm aware does not state were the Ref's comes from.

I have already stated I have no fear of Irish refs or any other I have also stated I don't agree with any foreign refs officiating in any domestic leagues but there own.
    Don't think any foreign refs will break the strike anyway
    Also would you be happy if people came here and took jobs off the Irish people

Now try and read whats posted I hate having to repeat myself

I find it intriguing that the more "socialist" leaning Celtic support seem to be actively encouragin referees from all over the world to effectively cross the picket line this weekend.

Sometimes politics, and pseudo morality, are only there to suit it seems

Also would you be happy if people came here and took jobs off the Irish people

In these circumstances I wouldn't give a flying sh!t, the referee's are on strike because they are not doing there jobs properly, then when questioned as to why they are not and are put under pressure they walk out, that is just not good enough.
    Now try and read whats posted I hate having to repeat myself
    I have already stated I have no fear of Irish refs or any other I have also stated I don't agree with any foreign refs officiating in any domestic leagues but there own.

:D LOL, that's about as funny as it gets, all you have been doing over the last few days is repeating yourself.... No foreign ref's, No foreign ref's, No foreign ref's......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I find it intriguing that the more "socialist" leaning Celtic support seem to be actively encouragin referees from all over the world to effectively cross the picket line this weekend.

Sometimes politics, and pseudo morality, are only there to suit it seems

All depends why people are striking I suppose. Every strike is different, this one is a joke.

It could also be argued that a lot more people will lose out if these matches don't go ahead, like those who have booked flights, trains, accommodation etc. which won't be refunded.

The refs are a disgrace tbh.

In these circumstances I wouldn't give a flying sh!t, the referee's are on strike because they are not doing there jobs properly, then when questioned as to why they are not and are put under pressure they walk out, that is just not good enough.

:D LOL, that's about as funny as it gets, all you have been doing over the last few days is repeating yourself.... No foreign ref's, No foreign ref's, No foreign ref's......

Your right and you keep on with foreign refs , foreign refs foreign refs

So you believe people should come into Ireland and take over the government for example because lets face it they aren't doing there jobs properly.
    Or bring more immigrants in in because people lots of people here don't want them

PauloMN wrote: »
    All depends why people are striking I suppose. Every strike is different, this one is a joke.

It could also be argued that a lot more people will lose out if these matches don't go ahead, like those who have booked flights, trains, accommodation etc. which won't be refunded.

The refs are a disgrace tbh.

People lose out when strikes happen, thats why Unions use them as a weapon.

Wether you or I agree with it is entirely irrelevant in this case, it seems that the Icelandic and Welsh ref's are supporting their colleagues at least. (I have no idea what the Irish have said).

Encouraging anyone to cross the picket line is out of order IMO.

What has that got to do with anything
    But to answer you there is a tricolour with me everywhere I go

Do I really need to to answer that :confused:
    I am well aware of Celtics history don't try to be patronising you can spout all you want yes Celtic should be proud of their heritage
    But the simple facts for you are Celtic are a Scottish club playing in a Scottish League get over it

You said in previous posts you know the history of Celtic so as a rangers supportor I'm sure you know there history also so I won't Patronise you about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Wether you or I agree with it is entirely irrelevant in this case, it seems that the Icelandic and Welsh ref's are supporting their colleagues at least. (I have no idea what the Irish have said).

Nothing is that black and white. Your view is that regardless of the reason, all strikes must be observed? I personally find that ridiculous, but then again, I'm not a big fans of unions. Unions have us where we are today to a certain degree because they have way too much power and influence.

The paying public should not have to suffer just because some refs feel like taking the day off. Personally I'd sack any ref that doesn't turn up for work at the weekend, but that's just me.

Your right and you keep on with foreign refs , foreign refs foreign refs

I'm not the one that said that I don't want to keep repeating myself :confused:

If the SFA Ref's grew some balls then I would not need to talk about getting outside Ref's in to do there job as they would be doing it themselves this weekend.

Do you honestly think they should be allowed to make mistakes on a weekly basis and not have to answer for it ?

• Advertisement

1. The referees are not a union.
    2. There was no ballot put to all the members, only the select of the 31 class 1 referees. The class 2 referees were not included.
    3. They are effectively self employed contracting themselves to the SFA.
    4. There won't actually be a picket line to cross.

1. The referees are not a union.
    2. There was no ballot put to all the members, only the select of the 31 class 1 referees. The class 2 referees were not included.
    3. They are effectively self employed contracting themselves to the SFA.
    4. There won't actually be a picket line to cross.

1. No but they are an association with similar responsibilities to those within their organisation
    2. The 31 category one referees are those affected by the situation, as far as i know you need to be Cat 1 in order to referee and SPL or SFL match.
    3. I dont know the ins and outs of a referee's contract.
    4. It would need to be a hell of a picket line to stretch around every ground in Scotland, it doesnt change the fact they are on strike.

As i said, it doesnt really matter wether you or i agree with the strike the fact of the matter is that they are planning to be.
    Their colleagues from iceland and Wales have refused to cross that imaginary picket line.

I'm not the one that said that I don't want to keep repeating myself :confused:

If the SFA Ref's grew some balls then I would not need to talk about getting outside Ref's in to do there job as they would be doing it themselves this weekend.

Do you honestly think they should be allowed to make mistakes on a weekly basis and not have to answer for it ?

Eh of course I don't believe they should but its down to the relevant authorities
    to sort it.
    A quick fix is not whats needed

Eh of course I don't believe they should but its down to the relevant authorities
    to sort it.
    A quick fix is not whats needed

Fixtures have to go ahead at the weekend the SFA are contracted to supply ref's so a quick fix is most definitely required to ensure games go ahead this week.

Fixtures have to go ahead at the weekend the SFA are contracted to supply ref's so a quick fix is most definitely required to ensure games go ahead this week.

One off maybe but I am talking about a long term to the solution which IMO is much more important.
    But I also don't think refs from other associations will break the strike

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/9216271.stm
    Striking refs want Scotland's top football clubs to confirm that the integrity of officials is not in doubt.

I think clubs should agree to that but still accuse them of incompetence over the test failures. I've a feeling that nothing is going to change and that is very disheartening.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/9223084.stm
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has branded Uefa's five-official system "useless" after his side were denied a penalty in defeat by Braga on Tuesday.

Just to point out, the 5 referee system is useless, I completely agree with Wenger and I didnt see their match last night. I've seen clear corners missed even when it was on trial last season. Its not a measure that the SPL could use a) dont have the manpower b) its a flawed system, no better than 1 ref 2 linesmen from what I've seen. c) not cost effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Any refs that break this so called "Picket line" should be ashamed of themselves. They are nothing more than scabs. I support Shels and as a few lads on here will tell you, some of the things we have seen over the last couple of years have been unbelievable but im not going to abuse the ref if i see him going about his daily life. They get enough stick in the ground ;)

A way to resolve the issue could be that the SFA and the TV stations have to stop announcing the refs names on tv and at the match and stop spending the whole game focusing on the ref and having a zoomed in shot of his face. Refs anonymity should be kept and that should apply in all leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

I makes me laugh that they are giving out about Scottish refs. God love ye if Irish refs do go over and ye get Buttimer to ref any game, never mind a big one. Ye will be crying for your own refs back, faults and all, after seeing him in action.:D

Pauleta wrote: »
    Any refs that break this so called "Picket line" should be ashamed of themselves. They are nothing more than scabs. I support Shels and as a few lads on here will tell you, some of the things we have seen over the last couple of years have been unbelievable but im not going to abuse the ref if i see him going about his daily life. They get enough stick in the ground ;)

A way to resolve the issue could be that the SFA and the TV stations have to stop announcing the refs names on tv and at the match and stop spending the whole game focusing on the ref and having a zoomed in shot of his face. Refs anonymity should be kept and that should apply in all leagues.

:D are you for real? Why not go the whole hog and put the mascot outfit on them? "Oh look, it's not Dougie, it's Hoopy the Huddlehound!"

• Advertisement

I makes me laugh that they are giving out about Scottish refs. God love ye if Irish refs do go over and ye get Buttimer to ref any game, never mind a big one. Ye will be crying for your own refs back, faults and all, after seeing him in action.:D

80% of Grade 1 referees in Scotland failed the exam on the laws of the game in February. They are clearly not fit for purpose.

Advertisement