Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SPL Ref's to Strike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jimspence/2010/11/dallas_the_scottish_football_s.html
    Celtic's doggedness in taking on the Scottish Football Association over what they felt were wrongs done to them over the Dougie McDonald affair and indeed at perceived injustices served up by the SFA itself, could herald a change in attitude by other clubs who might previously have run scared from a scrap with the powerbrokers.

The Parkhead club have shown an unwillingness to bend the knee and others will have watched and learned.

The issue of foreign referees may also turn out to be a Trojan horse.

Ask supporters of other clubs if they think they get the rub of the green against Celtic and Rangers and the answer will be always be a resounding no.

There were times in the past when the big city clubs in Scotland were not outgunned to anything like the same financial extent as they are now by the Glasgow giants, yet their combined trophy hauls over their respective histories would scarcely trouble the cabinets at Ibrox or Celtic Park.

Now that the principle of foreign referees has been accepted, albeit in exceptional circumstances, some clubs who may feel that they have historically suffered from an imbalance in favour of the big two, could think that that could be redressed in future, if referees from other shores, not subject to the unique pressures of Scottish football, were to officiate at their matches.

They may be wrong in that assessment but they may nevertheless think it an experiment worth toying with.

And even if the foreign experiment is no more than a one-off, our own referees will surely be emboldened by the flexing of their muscles and the realisation of the power they can wield as a unified force.

I agree, i think the smaller SPL clubs will galvanise and begin to dictate to the SFA too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

ziggy wrote: »

Was just about to post that.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9236198.stm

Hopefully now we can get back to football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    O'Shea was booed at Ibrox the other night just coz hes Irish.

I dont remember him being booed :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Admired by who?? I dont admire Bilbao. I dont admire rangers. I think both clubs should be despised in fact.Your arguement about a Nicaraguan is ridiculous. An Irish senior squad player is at every club in the SPL. Except ra PEEEEPle. Why is this?Why has this always been the case??

You do realise they signed a young goalkeeper from Ireland only this summer yes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

edit - ahh already posted I see...sorry.

SantryRed wrote: »
    You do realise they signed a young goalkeeper from Ireland only this summer yes?

Doesnt count.

If you go by parkhead67's logic you are only Irish if you have played for the National side at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I think its a shame Dougie has resigned. He has been forced out which is awful for him. The guy made a bad mistake, however it was not a resigning offence in my opinion. He has been made the scapegoat along with Hugh Dallas who again was forced out. Hopefully though with these two guys leaving their posts, all sensible people can move on. They are gone now and people need to move on. There is no point in debating these issues with the Celtic paranoia lunatics who claim injustices at every turn, but hopefully everyone else can move on. I think its over to the SFA now. I believe they will become stronger because of this as an association and obviously refs have to and will be given more support from now on in. If any player or manger questions the impartiality of refs from here on in from any club, they should be absoluted hammered like no one has been hammered before. This is the only way to address this, there has to be a deterent and if anyone crosses the line, they must be hammered.

It has been a farcial week in this history of the Scottish game, hopefully though something positive emerges from the wreck.

I think there is also an onus on Celtic supporters, guys with views such as Dempsey and d.anthony on here to be more proactive in rubbising the paranoia of these other supporters at games and on internet fora. These other supporters and their views are clearly part of the problem here and their behaviour needs highlighting every bit as much as mistakes by Dallas and McDonald etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Brewster wrote: »
    I think its a shame Dougie has resigned. He has been forced out which is awful for him. The guy made a bad mistake, however it was not a resigning offence in my opinion. He has been made the scapegoat along with Hugh Dallas who again was forced out. Hopefully though with these two guys leaving their posts, all sensible people can move on. They are gone now and people need to move on. There is no point in debating these issues with the Celtic lunatics, but hopefully everyone else can move on. I think its over to the SFA now. I believe they will become stronger because of this as an association and obviously refs have to and will be given more support from now on in. If any player or manger questions the impartiality of refs from here on in from any club, they should be absoluted hammered like no one has been hammered before. This is the only way to address this, there has to be a deterent and if anyone crosses the line, they must be hammered.

It has been a farcial week in this history of the Scottish game, hopefully though something positive emerges from the wreck.

I think there is also an onus on Celtic supporters, guys like Dempsey and d.anthony on here to be more proactive in policing these other supporters at games and on internet fora. These other supporters are clearly part of the problem here and their behaviour needs highlighting every bit as much as mistakes by Dallas and McDonald etc...

And what about the linesman who was forced to retire over a decision that wasn't even his, if anyone deserves a bit of sympathy it's him in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I think its a shame Dougie has resigned. He has been forced out which is awful for him. The guy made a bad mistake, however it was not a resigning offence in my opinion. He has been made the scapegoat along with Hugh Dallas who again was forced out. Hopefully though with these two guys leaving their posts, all sensible people can move on. They are gone now and people need to move on. There is no point in debating these issues with the Celtic lunatics, but hopefully everyone else can move on. I think its over to the SFA now. I believe they will become stronger because of this as an association and obviously refs have to and will be given more support from now on in. If any player or manger questions the impartiality of refs from here on in from any club, they should be absoluted hammered like no one has been hammered before. This is the only way to address this, there has to be a deterent and if anyone crosses the line, they must be hammered.

I think there is also an onus on Celtic supporters, guys like Dempsey and d.anthony on here to be more proactive in policing these other supporters at games and on internet fora. These other supporters are clearly part of the problem here and their behaviour needs highlighting every bit as much as mistakes by Dallas and McDonald etc...

Egg chasers forum this way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

:D:D:D:D:D

Brilliant!!!

You're actually becomming a parody of yourself these days!!!

EDIT - How many rules of this forum have you broken in that post? Abuse, back seat moderation, intentionally winding folk up etc... Well done my friend!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

:D:D:D:D:D

Brilliant!!!

You're actually becomming a parody of yourself these days!!!

Have to admit, he's bloody good at it! :D He must be pissing himself as he's typing that stuff!!!

PauloMN wrote: »
    Have to admit, he's bloody good at it! :D He must be pissing himself as he's typing that stuff!!!

I'm keeping an eye on you mate since Dempsey and d.anthony aren't on board at the mo!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'm keeping an eye on you mate since Dempsey and d.anthony aren't on board at the mo!

LOL! :D:D:D The Celtic Thread Polis!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Eirebear wrote: »
    Doesnt count.

If you go by parkhead67's logic you are only Irish if you have played for the National side at senior level.
    He hasnt played a senior game for rangers and he never will. The rangers fans would lynch him if he ever did. I pray for the young lad.Whoever advises him would need to take a long look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

He hasnt played a senior game for rangers and he never will. The rangers fans would lynch him if he ever did. I pray for the young lad.Whoever advises him would need to take a long look at themselves.

What a load of balls

Is it any wonder young players from here when asked to go over to us are wary when there are Neanderthals like you about.

For your information the young guy is very highly rated at Ibrox with both Smith and McCoist saying he could make the breakthrough two the first team within a couple of years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

CSF wrote: »

Who cares if Rangers are selective based on ethnicity with who they sign?

Any right thinking individual I believe. Honestly, that's an astounding question to ask.

Wow...and you guys see fit to have a go at brewster for "whataboutery"!

If you actually rhink the rangers fans would "lynch" the lad then you are entirely wrong, in fact he played in front of some 500 fans including a large turnout from "The Union Bears" in a charity match just after he signed.

No lynching happened whatsoever.

Which in turn makes the second part of that comment foolish at best, bigoted at worst.

• Advertisement

Don't think McGregor will be there for much longer and Alexander is on a new three year deal so who's to say

What a load of balls

Is it any wonder young players from here when asked to go over to us are wary when there are Neanderthals like you about.

For your information the young guy is very highly rated at Ibrox with both Smith and McCoist saying he could make the breakthrough two the first team within a couple of years
    Your club is full of neanderthals from the very top to the very bottom. When mo johnstone signed there were thousands of yee tearing up season tickets just because he was a Catholic. Danny Mcgrain was never signed by yee because yeer scout thought his name sounded Catholic.He turned out to be a Protestant, Rangers fan (and became a Celtic great). Andy Goram visits UVF haunts in Belfast in his spare time. Johnny Adair is on you tube at a European away game with your supporters being given a heroes welcome. Dont get me started on neanderthals. Your club is a disgrace. Look what yee did in Manchester at the uefa cup final.Scotlands shame.

Stories linking him with Villa at the moment, i reckon he'll be off at the end of the season if he keeps up current form.

Stories linking him with Villa at the moment, i reckon he'll be off at the end of the season if he keeps up current form.
    Good riddance to him with his play-acting theatrics. A really nasty character.

Good riddance to him with his play-acting theatrics. A really nasty character.

Ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

PauloMN wrote: »

Paul, not sure what your getting at. I have edited my post. Essentially what I am saying is that Celtic fans who do not preach the paranoia card have a role to educate the other supporters, Dempsey and d.anthony are just two examples that I know have stated that refs are not corrupt on this forum. I don't actually know where you stand..?? When I was writing my post, I can assure you laughter was not part of it, frustration would describe my emotions more succintly. :rolleyes:

Your club is full of neanderthals from the very top to the very bottom. When mo johnstone signed there were thousands of yee tearing up season tickets just because he was a Catholic. Danny Mcgrain was never signed by yee because yeer scout thought his name sounded Catholic.He turned out to be a Protestant, Rangers fan (and became a Celtic great). Andy Goram visits UVF haunts in Belfast in his spare time. Johnny Adair is on you tube at a European away game with your supporters being given a heroes welcome. Dont get me started on neanderthals. Your club is a disgrace. Look what yee did in Manchester at the uefa cup final.Scotlands shame.

Thousands there was about half a dozen and you do know they were paid by various media outlets get over it
    Andy Goram is a tube will you defend Harston Lennon Reid all singing Ra songs and of course no Ra men follow the tic
    Will you get a life and grow up

Thousands there was about half a dozen and you do know they were paid by various media outlets get over it
    Andy Goram is a tube will you defend Harston Lennon Reid all singing Ra songs and of course no Ra men follow the tic
    Im just pointing out what your club is all about. I honestly cant think of one positive thing to say about em. Oh- Ally was sometimes funny on A question of sport. Apart from that???

THATS UNTRUE ABOUT THEM SINGING ABOUT THE IRA.yOU DO KNOW THAT.

THATS UNTRUE ABOUT THEM SINGING ABOUT THE IRA.yOU DO KNOW THAT.

Hahaha! And your the man for Youtube videos too!

"ooh ah up the ra" - Ring any bells?

• Advertisement

Post a link bud.;)

Are you honestly trying to tell me that John Reid the former secretary of state for Scotland was singing about the IRA???????:confused::confused::confused:?A lord who served under Tony Blair.Get real. Lennon would never be stupid enough to sing about the IRA when his family live in the North east of Ireland. The Hartson one you refer to-there were add ons to the song being sung.The crowd in the pub sang the add-ons.Hartson certainly didnt. Much too intelligent a man for that stupidity. Hes Welsh anyway. Why would he support the IRA? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I was away for the week, so ain't trudging through 19 pages of it. But here is my tuppence worth as requested by the Gers on here. :p

There is a serious problem with the standards and integrity at a number of levels

This came to a head when McDonnell was caught rotten lying and hanging an assistant out to dry. The referees assessor was then found to have been involved in telling the ref to lie and then sent a sectarian email from work, and this a man who once called a Celtic manager a "fenian bastard". Scotland or not, they both have to go. As it happens I agree with EB that Celtic should have used the back-channels to shaft them, not the press

They went on strike simply because they have been caught out and are now whinging about media criticism. Stop lying about decisions and there will be no furore...

There is an old boys club in Scotch refereeing that may or may not manifest itself in decisions for Rangers. Regardless of whether it does or not, in the modern media world, decisions about refereeing cannot be made over a cigar and brandy anymore. In that sense Celtic are dead right to drag them into the 20th century, nevermind the 21st

Bigots and cheats? Unproven. Liars, most definitly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Come on out of that. John Reid, the man who took Britain to war in Iraq singing Ra songs? Cop on

Well?? Were you lying?

Please back up your stupid statement or apologise for slandering three honest men. If Hartson was singing about the "ra" do you honestly think he'd be writing a weekly column in a Scottish newspaper. Your gone very quiet. Maybe you'll think of an excuse overnight.

Well?? Were you lying?

On the couch, yeah. Contrary to popular opinion i do spend time away from the internet!

Now what do you want from me? You already stated that you knew what i was talking about with regards to the "add ons" with Hartson and pearson, as for Reid it wasnt me that mentioned him.

Now you can make excuses for them all day long, to be perfectly frank i couldnt give a flying **** what they sing, where and when.

However your double standards are nothing short of ludicrous, and if you didnt come across as an immature 16 year old who simply repeats slogans and jibes that he has read elsewhere on the internet i would probably be annoyed with you by now, as it stands i just find you mildly entertaining.

Please back up your stupid statement or apologise for slandering three honest men. If Hartson was singing about the "ra" do you honestly think he'd be writing a weekly column in a Scottish newspaper. Your gone very quiet. Maybe you'll think of an excuse overnight.

Why not? He's a name that sells papers?

It was pretty damn well documented at the time, so i suggest you sort out your selective memory before dismissing anything as stupid.

Slander, lol

I was away for the week, so ain't trudging through 19 pages of it. But here is my tuppence worth as requested by the Gers on here. :p

There is a serious problem with the standards and integrity at a number of levels

This came to a head when McDonnell was caught rotten lying and hanging an assistant out to dry. The referees assessor was then found to have been involved in telling the ref to lie and then sent a sectarian email from work, and this a man who once called a Celtic manager a "fenian bastard". Scotland or not, they both have to go. As it happens I agree with EB that Celtic should have used the back-channels to shaft them, not the press

They went on strike simply because they have been caught out and are now whinging about media criticism. Stop lying about decisions and there will be no furore...

There is an old boys club in Scotch refereeing that may or may not manifest itself in decisions for Rangers. Regardless of whether it does or not, in the modern media world, decisions about refereeing cannot be made over a cigar and brandy anymore. In that sense Celtic are dead right to drag them into the 20th century, nevermind the 21st

Bigots and cheats? Unproven. Liars, most definitly.

I honestly cannot disagree with anything you've said here, i reckon theres another poster or two who could probably take a leaf out of your book and learn to think before they post.

(I'm off for a lie down after that...!)

On the couch, yeah. Contrary to popular opinion i do spend time away from the internet!

Now what do you want from me? You already stated that you knew what i was talking about with regards to the "add ons" with Hartson and pearson, as for Reid it wasnt me that mentioned him.

Now you can make excuses for them all day long, to be perfectly frank i couldnt give a flying **** what they sing, where and when.

However your double standards are nothing short of ludicrous, and if you didnt come across as an immature 16 year old who simply repeats slogans and jibes that he has read elsewhere on the internet i would probably be annoyed with you by now, as it stands i just find you mildly entertaining.
    WOW. What a pathetic response. Very bad. Anyway-glad to amuse you.What double standards??

• Advertisement

I think I recall that incident with Hartson and Pearson - were they not at some supporter's do when the add-ons to some song were being sung?

If I recall the incident it was impossible to tell from the coverage if they were singing the add-ons as the quality of the recording was awful.

EDIT - Is this the footage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvUF7nxKVw

Why not? He's a name that sells papers?

It was pretty damn well documented at the time, so i suggest you sort out your selective memory before dismissing anything as stupid.

Slander, lol
    It was actually a concocted story. he was proven completely innocent.The footage shows that he clearly never sang "ooH aH Up the ra" as you put it.You obviously misunderstand the fact that Hartson is a highly intelligent man. Now Gazza the flute player on the other hand.......

WOW. What a pathetic response. Very bad. Anyway-glad to amuse you.What double standards??

Please explain to me how it is pathetic exactly, the crux of the matter is that you already knew what i was talking about yet still seemed intent on goading me into giving you proof?

Bizzare to say the least.

I think I recall that incident with Hartson and Pearson - were they not at some supporter's do when the add-ons to some song were being sung?

If I recall the incident it was impossible to tell from the coverage if they were singing the add-ons as the quality of the recording was awful.

Yeah thats the one Bob. its an awful video but i think if we all take a step back from whatever team we support, we all know whats happening.

As i said, i really dont care what they sing, especially when probably drunk.

However some people seem to find it impossible to see that their beloved heroes could possibly be involved in something that many people would class as "unsavoury", but will be very quick to jump on others as soon as they put a foot out of line.

EDIT - Is this the footage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvUF7nxKVw
    Probably. Hes not singing the add ons. Hes not that stupid

Looking at that footage I genuinely can't see Hartson singing the add-ons.

Pearson deffo shouts something during it... but it's impossible to know what it is that he said... though I'm sure we could guess!

Pearson deffo shouts something during it... but it's impossible to know what it is that he said... though I'm sure we could guess!

"Partick Thistle!"? ;)

Please explain to me how it is pathetic exactly, the crux of the matter is that you already knew what i was talking about yet still seemed intent on goading me into giving you proof?

Bizzare to say the least.

Yeah thats the one Bob. its an awful video but i think if we all take a step back from whatever team we support, we all know whats happening.

As i said, i really dont care what they sing, especially when probably drunk.

However some people seem to find it impossible to see that their beloved heroes could possibly be involved in something that many people would class as "unsavoury", but will be very quick to jump on others as soon as they put a foot out of line.
    He sang the fields of athenry FFS. MUnster rugby fans sing that song. It has absolutely no sectarian connotations whatsoever. Now,moving on-where is any shred of evidence of Mr Reid or Mr Lennon engaging in sectarian singing. Was that just a lie also?

He sang the fields of athenry FFS. MUnster rugby fans sing that song. It has absolutely no sectarian connotations whatsoever. Now,moving on-where is any shred of evidence of Mr Reid or Mr Lennon engaging in sectarian singing. Was that just a lie also?

The song itself no, the add ons are a different story mind you...but havnt we been through all this?

As for lennon and Reid, where did i even mention them? Mind you, i do have pretty vivid memories of Lennon calling the Rangers management team "Orange Bastards" before gobbing on a scarf. Classy guy.

Can we move on from this tit for tat bull**** now please?

The song itself no, the add ons are a different story mind you...but havnt we been through all this?

As for lennon and Reid, where did i even mention them? Mind you, i do have pretty vivid memories of Lennon calling the Rangers management team "Orange Bastards" before gobbing on a scarf. Classy guy.

Can we move on from this tit for tat bull**** now please?
    Okay. Dont think he said "orange bastards" though. Twas broxibear who said that about lennon+reid-my mistake. Yeer all the same:D.(Joke)

• Advertisement

Never mind
    can't be bothered anymore

Advertisement