Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

www.fight.ie Irish MMA Awards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

1. Who came up with the nominees and categories?Was there a panel or committee who decided on the nominees and categories?.

In January when I said this event would be going ahead we opened the categories for email nomination. This stayed open until the last day of October. The nominations that you see are the results of this process
    What are the criteria for being nominated in each category?
    For example Fighter of the Year, do they have to have fought full pro rules, had a title fight, had more than 1 fight, be over a certain age, fought on more than one promotion etc etc?.

Again this is purely down to the nominations from the above process
    What are the criteria for deciding who wins?
    Leaving it to an internet vote means whoever has the most friends with internet access wins??
    E.g. and this is no disrespect to the other nominees, but in the case of Female Fighter of the Year, are you telling me that someone other than Aisling Daly could win it? This would bring me back to the criteria question highlighted in points 1. and 2. Surely she is in a different class of her own and if she did not win it would be extremely disrespectful to her achievements?.

Thats a valid point. I will give it some more thought

In my experience if you want to legitimize nominees, categories and winners, you would have to have a panel of their peers who work off strict criteria in both deciding nominees and winners. (Not who has the most pals on the internet)

While I totally 100% agree with you on this, the reason i went with the voting system is that if we had chosen the nominees the whiners and neah sayers would have come screaming out moaning about it being a fix (there are even certain clubs who are running around with this system saying it's Ferguson having a night to give trophys to his mates:confused:)

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    I would really like to see "awards" come off

This is happening, between the orders you have and the tables i have sold we have done 19 so far. It should be a decent nights craic!!!

cowzerp wrote: »
    An internet poll is completely a popularity contest-i only copped it on the last day and could have asked lots of people to vote for rush if i wanted to days before if i had realised, best thing would be to get each club to have a vote and to get a realistic democratic vote that way..

I seen the total votes of most near the end of the voting and it was obvious who had pushed for votes, even a club i've never had the pleasure of seeing where up the top bit of votes and thats not having a go but hardly team of the year if i've never seen them when im at most shows..

Not sure what poll your talking about here Paul? Is it the one to decide the nominations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

fightie wrote: »
    Not sure what poll your talking about here Paul? Is it the one to decide the nominations?

The 1 on web to decide best team etc, maybe that's not in relation to your awards, if so apologies. Obviously people will vote for there own club so if I tell everyone to vote on it then we'll get many votes, as i said popularity contest

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

correct me if im wrong cowzerp but are you confusing the fight.ie awards with the fight hounds poll?
    the fight hounds poll is only a bit of fun as woody has stated whilst the fight.ie one is the serious awards ceremony.
    no way would i think that we have the 2nd best club in the country after being only in existence 7 months, we do however look forward to next year when we get a lot more fighters on the scene and would be honoured if we had a nomination for new club of the year if we qualified.
    best of luck to all nominees in the fight.ie awards which i think are a great idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

The Fight Hounds pools was done out of interest and a bit of fun. We have said that this has nothing got to do with the Official Irish MMA Awards hosted by Fight.ie. We had a lot of votes on the pools and we thought it went very well and we are hoping to do it again next year (If we are still around) We posted news about the pool on the Fight Hounds Facebook page and Boards.ie. I did not inform any of the clubs, fighters, or coaches about the pool and I think now that I should have so they could of got the word out about it. If we do it again I will be sure to inform everyone who makes it onto the pool list and get there permission before we post anything. If we upset anyone with this years pool all we can do is apologize.

correct me if im wrong cowzerp but are you confusing the fight.ie awards with the fight hounds poll?
    the fight hounds poll is only a bit of fun as woody has stated whilst the fight.ie one is the serious awards ceremony.
    no way would i think that we have the 2nd best club in the country after being only in existence 7 months, we do however look forward to next year when we get a lot more fighters on the scene and would be honoured if we had a nomination for new club of the year if we qualified.
    best of luck to all nominees in the fight.ie awards which i think are a great idea

your not wrong, i was mistaken, no sweats and no offense was meant to your team as im sure you realise..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

i know man, no problemo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Award ceremonies are generally bit of a farce in general no? no offence to anyone nominated or winning etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

1. Who came up with the nominees and categories?Was there a panel or committee who decided on the nominees and categories?

And who are the people who voted at all?

I've asked a a lot of people and everyone I asked said they didn't vote, and didn't know anyone who had voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

I do agree with alot of Dave Jones comments, especially with female fighter or the year. As you said theres in no doubt that Aisling deserves and will get the award, and thats no disrespect to any other nominees including myself. I did think it was rather funny that I was even nominated by whoever.

In that case it would of been good to have an amateur female fighter award as that would make more sense.

As you said this will be a good night but it would be better to be looked as a serious thing rather than just good fun :-)

VOTING NOW OPEN!!!!

vote here

And who are the people who voted at all?

I've asked a a lot of people and everyone I asked said they didn't vote, and didn't know anyone who had voted.

We got 418 nomination emails. It should be a great nights craic :) Maybe we will see you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mmmm...not sure

Good to see this catergory included in my opinion Alan Philpott should win this catergory although James Gallagher has came on leap and bounds and only lost of his fights this year he is fighting at teen level no disrespect to fighters at this level they are the future of the sport, Alan has proved he is more than capable of fighting high calibre fighters and winning and is fighting at pro in chaos in feburary ao has proved he is more than worthy of this award.

Good to see this catergory included in my opinion Alan Philpott should win this catergory although James Gallagher has came on leap and bounds and only lost of his fights this year he is fighting at teen level no disrespect to fighters at this level they are the future of the sport,

Adam Caffrey went 4-0 in the teen division this year at c class level and beat James so im baffled to how he did not get into the nominations!

His Bro Luke is in though and is awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

i didn't nominate nayone but i voted for everyone one i knew on the webpage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

This is really cool! I cant wait for the event :) Should be a fun night alright.

I would really appreciate it if I you gave me your votes for Teen MMA League fighter of the year! :) Karl Redmond (SBG) is the name. All of my matches are on my youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/KRedmondSBG#p/u . So vote for me if you feel I deserve it! Thank you all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

I got mails on Facebook from a promotion asking me to vote for them.

What is this proving?? Who has the most mates on Facebook or who actually has the best show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Chris89 wrote: »
    I got mails on Facebook from a promotion asking me to vote for them.

What is this proving?? Who has the most mates on Facebook or who actually has the best show.

Same here, I ignored them.

• Advertisement

I agree cowzerp I have seen the caffery brothers fight for their age they are unbelievable this sport is going to be awesome in the future with the calibre of young fighters that clubs in Ireland have.

A point on the voting I agree that it's not the fairest way to do it I have visited as many facebook pages of the fighters involved in voting and one comment read

" jus voted for you there, hope u win, cnt wait to see you fight sometime"

I think this proves the point that it's a contenst about who has the most friends rather than being the best fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Lol ;) Some serious resemblance to Irish MMA stars hehe......

Urs
    x

All's fair in love and war:confused::confused::confused:
    What other way could this be done? If we had have done it via clubs some would have thrown their rattles outta the prams! If a panel had been chosen people would jump on band wagon (bring us back to rankings last year!)! Only other way is to gather every fighter, coach, promotion on "fan" and lock them in a room (boooooom)????

I think altho we want this as professional as we can we have to take it a bit light hearted and enjoy it! Personally I think I will enjoy most is voting on the nite and hall of famers;)

Teen fighter is close to my heart as all these kids deserve recognition in some ways and yes Adam in there too but were do we stop? In my heart this section carrying two potential winners but I have put it down to this years work and commitment:)

Tough choices in some but as an MMA fan I would not be voting for "who I like" (categories are missing ppl I would have like to see in there but tough cookie - deal with what I have) but rather who I believe deserve it!

Urs
    x

What other way could this be done?

On that note, if anyone has any other ideas that will work better as always I am all ears.

As far as I am aware this is the first time this type of thing has been done in Irish MMA. It was always going to have some people giving genuine feedback and others just trying to pick holes in it. As I said if anyone has any feelings on what would work better and why their idea would work better please do spit them out.

I am not saying (and never have) that this is perfect, but as always after I suggested it I was willing to put up or shut up and make it happen. The idea behind this is for the whole Irish MMA community to have a night out and a bit of craic without the pressure of being at a show, looking after fighters etc.

Simples-give every club the option of 1 vote on each and if they don't take up the option then fine

Apart from that it can only be viewed as a bit if fun in fairness, ps John I have no credit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

As I outlined above already, I think the criteria for nomination and selection need looking at, how individuals are selected etc and then your voting structure.

People have been emailing nominations in all year, based on what criteria? Is there a certain number of criteria each potential nominee must have before being eligible for selection? or once again is it Im best friends with x I'll nominate him?

If set criteria had been made that might have automatically eliminated some nominations from clubs just nominating their mates.

Ideally you need a selection panel to work off set criteria to fill the categories, then said panel need to select a winner based on yet more criteria that have been well thought through.

At the moment, this is a popularity contest as is borne out by the number of private messages on facebook requesting "vote for me".

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

As I outlined above already, I think the criteria for nomination and selection need looking at, how individuals are selected etc and then your voting structure.

People have been emailing nominations in all year, based on what criteria? Is there a certain number of criteria each potential nominee must have before being eligible for selection? or once again is it Im best friends with x I'll nominate him?

If set criteria had been made that might have automatically eliminated some nominations from clubs just nominating their mates.

Ideally you need a selection panel to work off set criteria to fill the categories, then said panel need to select a winner based on yet more criteria that have been well thought through.

At the moment, this is a popularity contest as is borne out by the number of private messages on facebook requesting "vote for me".

I agree if the results are to be made official this would be the fairest way with criteria, if its just a bit of fun and not official the way it is done at the minute is fine as its just a good excuse for a piss up :)

If nominations are going up again let me know as I think Joe Frey should have been up there after spending 2010 fighting on many of the big UK shows beating the top English amateurs. He fought the number one ranked UK fighter who had over 19 fights in an Ireland v England match up to win a comonwealth title, he is also the holder for one of the fastest armbars in main mma competition at 7 seconds and is also 9-0. I think he deserves a place :)

p.s - Dave you've got my back,right?? old buddy old pal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

IFS.NI wrote: »

If nominations are going up again let me know as I think Joe Frey should have been up there after spending 2010 fighting on many of the big UK shows beating the top English amateurs. He fought the number one ranked UK fighter who had over 19 fights in an Ireland v England match up to win a comonwealth title, he is also the holder for one of the fastest armbars in main mma competition at 7 seconds and is also 9-0. I think he deserves a place

im curious :)

but what weight class is joe, sounds very good :)
    which big uk shows?
    who are the no.1 ranked uk fighters, where do they have rankings?
    which org is offering 'commonwealth' titles?
    7 second armbar is fast!

im curious :)

but what weight class is joe, sounds very good :)
    which big uk shows?
    who are the no.1 ranked uk fighters, where do they have rankings?
    which org is offering 'commonwealth' titles?
    7 second armbar is fast!

Thanks for your interest,

Joe is featherweight

He has fought on Fight Force with the Rough House, Wolfslair and Kaobon fighters and also the Fight Ikon and Fight Ignite shows.

The UK MMA League have their top amateur fighters fighting on it from round the UK. At the top of the table was Matt Maguire, Well there was one guy higher but he had fought a few pro fights shortly after so wasnt suited for the Amateur title.So he was ranked on the UK MMA league.

The ISKA offer regional titles right through to world titles - Joe won the Irish title through the clubs who submitted fighters back when it was announced and then the next step was to fight the top ranked Amateur UK fighter,Matt was dubbed top Amateur fighter by many in the UK and backed up by his placings in the UK MMA league.

Yes a 7 or 8 second armbar and there is proof for your viewing pleasure from this early video from Clan Wars 2 at 21 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/user/firefight999#p/a/u/1/fx4nJarVXkU

Thanks

looks good :)

• Advertisement

as matter of interest is that mma league rules in a cage? like is he 'mma league commonwealth champ?' or is it like c class...never sure what 'amatuer' means.

as matter of interest is that mma league rules in a cage? like is he 'mma league commonwealth champ?' or is it like c class...never sure what 'amatuer' means.

Yes the UK MMA League is held in a cage and has the same format as the Irish MMA league. Matt was the equivilent of the UK champion ranked from the UK league.

The MMA league has nothing to do with the ISKA, its just where we were advised to go too to find the top ranked UK fighter to get Ireland v UK to find the commonwealth champion which was sanctioned by the ISKA and held at Clan Wars 4. Joe beat Matt to take the title.

The ISKA Titles at the minute are as follows -

Amateur -

Joe Frey - Featherweight Irish and Commonwealth champ

Pro -

Mike Reid - Welterweight Irish Champion

Peter Duncan - Lightweight Irish Champion

If you have anymore questions on it mate drop me an email as I dont want to hijack the thread about awards lol

Cheers

p.s just found this to show you the UK MMA league

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2b189lcyN8

.....Maybe you are hijacking Awards thread but it is interesting so maybe start another;)

Urs
    x

p.s. Is Joe the wee guy who kinda looks like baby Marcus Davis????

just asking a question urs, reckon thats ok

thanks for reply - interesting info IFS :)

just asking a question urs, reckon thats ok

thanks for reply - interesting info IFS :)

Im not tellin you off :o

Urs
    x

Ive just received the stats for the voting and it is very impressive (numerical);)

Awesome response in there thousands and its brill!!!! Really heating up :D

Urs
    x

p.s. mayb im not allowed to release that info but I am on circulation list John lolol

Ive just received the stats for the voting and it is very impressive (numerical);)

Awesome response in there thousands and its brill!!!! Really heating up :D

Urs
    x

p.s. mayb im not allowed to release that info but I am on circulation list John lolol

There were 2409 votes cast in the first 48 hours

There will also be a section of special awards on the night .....

We have contacted promoters asking if they would like to give a special award from their own promotion, this will be an award of their choosing and they will choose the winner. I will announce the Special Awards later in the week as they come in. But as a taster our friends at Boards.ie will be giving a special award and DeV and Dav from boards will be joining us on the night!!!

NOTE TO PROMOTERS: This section is open to you all, If you want to take part let me know asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Well I just voted 10 times for Andy Ryan as best coach for the craic, by using a proxy server. Nice little voting system you have there... no flaws at all. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And why are the Irish Fighter awards being held in the UK? I know you'll say it's Ireland, but it's not if prices for hotels & admission are in GBP.:
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

:confused:

?? I never said that.

We can both do that y'know:
    haha - I'm making up quotes to distract from the flaws that have been pointed out in my voting system

Forest Master you might have time to run around proxy servers and making stuff up!! I don't, The quote I have posted has been taken directly from what you posted. I see you have now edited that post (and you have also edited your reply to me). I am well used to people trying to pick holes in these awards but please stop **** stirring (which is being made worse by being political).

There will also be a section of special awards on the night .....NOTE TO PROMOTERS: This section is open to you all, If you want to take part let me know asap

No Rodney you cant award for best hotpants in the gym lol:D

I know there was a few promotions that had "awards" at their recent Xmas Dinners but this gives everyone the opportunity to recognise not only the prime fighters we are seeing but also those behind the scenes at clubs!

Best of luck to all;)

Urs
    x

forest master, it was quoted direct from you so leave it there please.

A fighter looking for votes posted a plea on facebook and got a comment

"used all the computers at work so managed to vote 8 times"

Is their no way to stop one person voting numerous times like this?

• Advertisement

Hi Folks

Less than 2 weeks to go :)

There is still space if anyone else wants to come and we have opened a couple of mixed tables incase you want to come along but dont have 10 people.

RUNNING ORDER

19:00 Arrive
    19:30 Called for Dinner
    19:45 Dinner
    20:30 AWARDS
    22:00 Live Music
    23:00 DJ (lol and Karaoke if requested)
    1:00 Residents bar for more mischeif

The Idea of this night is for us all to get together for a nights craic, so come and join in!!!!

Remember it's a formal event..... Tux, bow tie etc

*goes looking for formal gi*

It's going to be good fun alright:). Hopefully I'll be grand for competing in the N.I open the next day, anyone else competing?

Does it look like it's going to be well attended? And most importantly, will there be and Rival goodies for the nominees/winners?:D

*goes looking for formal gi*

How about the tuxedo rashguard on bjjlife.com? Haha.

• Advertisement
Advertisement