Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

www.fight.ie Irish MMA Awards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

More than likely I will be going. And to the NI open the next day. probably! But i can safely say it will be in the Masters Super pesado division. Just out of interest, who intends to bring the other half? The Mrs would like to get her party dress out of mothballs, but doesnt want to be the only girl there!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

colin ill be there! the other half isnt going though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Just out of interest, who intends to bring the other half? The Mrs would like to get her party dress out of mothballs, but doesnt want to be the only girl there!

Yeah mine is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Just out of interest, who intends to bring the other half?

The feed back that i am getting seems to be that quite a few are bringing the "Better Half" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mmmm...not sure

Anybody heard any word on the results of any of the awards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Anybody heard any word on the results of any of the awards?

Well as seen as i was told 2 weeks ago that i had 95% of the vote for Personality of the year at the same time i was been asked to buy a table of 10 i can safely assume that i must have won that, incidently i had to coach a fight tonight so could not purchase said table so am waiting to hear the result of the categorary that i was assured i could not lose......

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

you lost

weemate wrote: »
    you lost

Wow! so i was either lied too or it was straight out a fix, I dont need to know the results as anyone could tell them all without seeing any voting figures.

I would be highly offended about this only for i knew it was a joke from the start, My annoyance is not about me not winning it either, its simple-Don't BS me cause i say it as it is.

What where the trophys like?
    after paying for the privilidge to collect an award i hope it was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Philpott1mm4

Interesting paul, Rodney got the award tonight, ummmmm interesting comment there man.

• Advertisement

Interesting paul, Rodney got the award tonight, ummmmm interesting comment there man.

What's interesting about it?

My comment has nothing to do with Rodney so don't take it personally-I was told i was getting the award, there would have needed to be over 3000 votes against me in the last 2 weeks without me getting any votes for me to not have won, this is based on what John told me, the award would mean little to me and I'm just annoyed about getting told lies at the time I was been asked to buy a table, plus my girl wiped down the mantle piece for a nice shiny trophy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

cowzerp wrote: »
    there would have needed to be over 3000 votes against me in the last 2 weeks without me getting any votes for me to not have won

Ya, that was me. :eek:

Anyway, don't be a bad loser Paul, it's unbecoming. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    Anyway, don't be a bad loser Paul, it's unbecoming........

Of the gentleman Paul is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mmmm...not sure

I would like to congratulate Alan Philpott on winning this award alot has been made about his age but as pointed out by others he only turned 18 in late 2010 so the majority of the fights were at 17. No disrespect to the other nominees but Alan has faced and beat the better and tougher opponents. I would like to wish him all the best now as he fights pro b at chaos.

I know being from strabane I should be supporting James gallager or ronnie Brennan but I don't think they deserved it as much as Alan did and it would have been a travesty if anyone else had won the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

I would like to congratulate Alan Philpott on winning this award alot has been made about his age but as pointed out by others he only turned 18 in late 2010 so the majority of the fights were at 17. No disrespect to the other nominees but Alan has faced and beat the better and tougher opponents. I would like to wish him all the best now as he fights pro b at chaos.

I know being from strabane I should be supporting James gallager or ronnie Brennan but I don't think they deserved it as much as Alan did and it would have been a travesty if anyone else had won the award.
    Was it under 18 fighter of the year award or YOUNG fighter of the year award?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Philpott1mm4

Was u18 Fighter joe, and paul i mean it is interesting as you were told you won and never, doesnt sound fair to anyone.

mmmmm not sure, thanks you have been backing me up everytime someone has said something, so appreciate it, and i don't know why people think i didnt deserve it because i turned 18, i turned 18 on september 22nd, obv i am not over 18.

Jealousy gets you no were lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Now that I'm back in the office, I just wanted to say a big thank you to John for the invite. Tom and I had a great night, the show all went well and I got to talk MMA with people which is a rarity for me (I should hang out in this forum more often :)). It was great to meet some of you guys and gals (including the lovely Mrs Lynch). Congratulations to all the winners and a big thank you to the staff and management of the Clarion in Carrickfergus for looking after us so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Firstly it woz nice to see alot of people there altho I wud hav lik to see more but I guess these things start somewhere :) And congratulations on those winners who are good people :) x

Given it was the first time there was mistakes made imo main thing was that I think nominations and voting needs to be changed and more transparent!

This kind of event I would like to see join the MMA community not split it therefore I hope that changes can be made and more clubs can get on board!

Urs
    x

p.s. Thks Dav...... typical me so nosey juz asked out right who you wer but Mrs Lynch has to know things lolol x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

above post deleted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So is there a list of the winners?

above post deleted?

Yeah Kev, I was just advised to sort out personally with John Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Wasn't there a load more categories than that? MMA League fighter etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Wasn't there a load more categories than that? MMA League fighter etc.?

That's the info that Fight.ie posted. I'm sure forum member Fight.ie should have the rest of the results.

Yes hopefully fight.ie will address situation about the other awards, I would appreciate it as I have already made a post about it but I think it would be more appropriate if John explained it himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Yes hopefully fight.ie will address situation about the other awards, I would appreciate it as I have already made a post about it but I think it would be more appropriate if John explained it himself.

maybe you should try and sort it with the relevant person yourself if it means this much to you, no point publicly drawing attention to one negative, i had nothing to do with it, but these things are usually meant to benefit the community rather than a specific individual.

I know you're right, that's why I will say no more about the topic, I'm sure John ferguson will sort it out anyway, that's all I want. I don't want to be negative to the awards or fight.ie/cage contender as I would love to see the awards grow and improve. I really enjoyed my night anyway. And as I said I will sort it out personally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

What's going on here?

Awards happened I know that much, but what is it that's not being said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Francis Galvin

i had a fighter (danny casey) nominated for the adult section of the mma league fighter of the year but i can't see who won it in the list of awards unless my eyes are failing me. we didn't attend as the lad in question was working that night and couldn't get it off, but we were wondering who won the category.

congrats to whoever did win it btw.:)

anyone know who was the winner?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Would it be fair to suggest the event was a money spin?

Seems like if people didn't get a table/didn't attend they were discarded from nominations and categories.

• Advertisement

All award ceremonies are money spinners. Nobody wins an oscar if they don't do the required PR. There is nothing different here. Fair play to John and his friends for doing something etc. but it was always going to be little more than a farce. If you want a slap on the back for either

1. doing your job
    2. doing your hobby

you need to get a life in my opinion.

the awards were a bit of craic, you have to attend them to win them.

There was no profit at all made from the Awards night and I know this for a fact!

It may not have been as successful as I would have liked it but at least it started..... at the end of the day it was Fight.ie awards and ran ultimately by a promotion. Noone has ever done it and we should maybe look to see how it can be done fairly in the future :) x

Im not 100% about the whole voting thing and not satisfied and really think it is a priority that it is addressed for next time :) x

Urs
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

I am sure minimal if any profit was made, but it sounds as though if you didn't buy a table etc or attend etc you didn't receive an award. There are plenty of award shows where someone is unavailable to attend but still receives the award.

I really don't see the big confusion in how to do it more fairly, I already highlighted how it could be done earlier in this thread. That is if such an event is to be taken seriously in the future. If its just to be a piss up and a pat on the back for those who attend as voted for more than once by their friends then leave it as it is, and I'm sure it was good night for those who want that sort of thing.

I am sure minimal if any profit was made, but it sounds as though if you didn't buy a table etc or attend etc you didn't receive an award. There are plenty of award shows where someone is unavailable to attend but still receives the award.

I really don't the big confusion in how to do it more fairly, I already highlighted how it could be done earlier in this thread. That is if such an event is to be taken seriously in the future. If its just to be a piss up and a pat on the back for those who attend as voted for more than once by their friends then leave it as it is, and I'm sure it was good night for those who want that sort of thing.

I agree with you Dave on you did hightlight it and it could have been done differently x I would hate to think if you attended you get an award thats totally wrong and thats why the voting needs to be addressed :) x

Urs
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 theanswer1

who cares about the awards the nominations were not fairly picked. where was greg loughran who is the number 1 lightweight in ireland and im not going by those fight ie ranking because they have no merit.

also all the categorys that sbg were nominated were tailor made for them to win. ie aisling daly who is top 3 in europe imo was always gonna win best female, sbg were gonna win best club as they have i think 3 or 4 of the cc belts maybe next year there can be more competition for the awards.

when i was there i thought i was at the oscars the way some folks were carrying on i mean come on its the fight.ie awards for christ sake !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

theanswer1 wrote: »
    also all the categorys that sbg were nominated were tailor made for them to win. ie aisling daly who is top 3 in europe imo was always gonna win best female, sbg were gonna win best club as they have i think 3 or 4 of the cc belts maybe next year there can be more competition for the awards.
    Awards tend to be 'tailor made' for successful people to win them. It's kinda the point of them some might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

when i was there i thought i was at the oscars the way some folks were carrying on i mean come on its the fight.ie awards for christ sake !!!!
    But you were not there, were you?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

who cares about the awards the nominations were not fairly picked. where was greg loughran who is the number 1 lightweight in ireland and im not going by those fight ie ranking because they have no merit.
    The nominees were user submitted. You see the same patterns in any user submitted nominations, the well known get nominated first, possibly ahead of more deserving. In this instance, Greg hasn't fought in Ireland for a number of years, so the Irish Fandom (which recycles often) wouldn't be aware of him.
    The good news is that for next year, the awareness of the process will be much greater (because of all the bitching and haranguing about something that, love or hate it, raised the profile of MMA in this country), so I would expect that the accuracy of the nominations will improve, but to be fair, they weren't all that far out this year either.

Is there any videos from the awards anywhere? Gutted I couldn't make them this year.

Didn't you personally select the winners of the MMA league awards, Mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Didn't you personally select the winners of the MMA league awards, Mark?

Perfect example of what I was talking about. The League was a late addition to the awards, if John has it on again next year it will run differently.

• Advertisement

Perfect example of what I was talking about. The League was a late addition to the awards, if John has it on again next year it will run differently.

Yes but not too late by any means as it was announced with the nominees a good while even before the voting was opened. So why was the winner of those awards selected by just one person, while the rest of the awards were done by a poll (even though there was a poll for the league awards too!).

fightie wrote: »
    There will also be a section of special awards on the night .....

We have contacted promoters asking if they would like to give a special award from their own promotion, this will be an award of their choosing and they will choose the winner.

I have not commented so far because I wanted everyone to have their say so that I could take all the comments on board to help improve the event for next year.

The idea of the event was to have some craic, the whole Irish MMA community together having a bite to eat, few drinks and some fun. And over all for a first attempt I'm quite happy with how it went. There are things that I will change for next year including the voting system but that said overall I'm happy enough.

To address a couple of points:

At one stage Paul Cowzer was indeed streets ahead for personality of the year but that changed, I suppose that is one problem with internet voting, and the other thing is that I probably shouldn't have told him that I didn't think he would be caught. Not a mistake I will make again.

There was talk of me making profit from the event. That's just nonsense, whilst I am a businessman and aim to make a few quid when I'm working how do you think I made money when a 4 course meal was only £16.50 plus during the awards there was music, lights, big screen and a professional compare.

Now I will be planning these again for next year, so give me your thoughts on how you would make it better and more fair, you all know me well enough to know if something needs changed for the better I will do it

Lastly thanks to all of you guys who came and had a good night, Congrats to the winners and a special thanks to Mrs Lynch for all her help in the run up to the event

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

I suppose since I followed this freight train of destruction from the start, and made an appearance, I'll make a few points (IN MY OPINION :)) from my night out at the awards.

Firstly, lets be fair to John, it was the first time running this event. I suppose it took a reasonable amount of balls, and to be fair time and workload to get the event to the level it was.

From looking around, there didn't appear to be that many clubs at the event, particularly the big guns. Come on guys! Its a bit of craic. I had anticipated that with the bjj open the next day, the place would have been bunged. In abscentia were the likes of Chum Sut, Gracie Barra, the majority of PCCB, Dogpound, and other Northern Irish clubs, who only live around the corner.

Its a bit sad that people down the road couldn't at least send a few representatives if they werent winning an award. I appreciate that its a fair trip up from the deepest recesses of Southern Ireland for some teams, but least try and make an effort.

On to the event itself. To be totally honest i expected a bit more, and would have been willing to pay a bit more for it. However, like i said, fair play to John, and its difficult to find a common level to host one of these things on with people having different levels of income etc varying from Doctors to students. However, If you are going to do a formal, make it formal. Otherwise just say suit and tie and cocktail dress for the weemenfolks.

Again, no criticism of John in any way, but the food was a bit rubbish. I imagine if we had booked the room under another name, the service might have been slightly better. There are plenty of other Hotels to choose from next year. Maybe book the room under a different name :p ?

In short i had a decent enough time, and there is a lot of scope for next year if everyone gets behind this event. I was just a bit bolloxed going to the BJJ open the next day lol

As for the award system itself. Each club should have a 1st second 3rd vote for each catagory, which have to be in for an allotted time. Clubs should also not be allowed to vote for any of their own team, to make things entirely transparent. These can be calculated fairly, and there is no bias in regard to size of club etc. These should remain unknown to anybody but the officator until the actual event.

Those are my thoughts anyway ;)

fightie wrote: »

To address a couple of points:

At one stage Paul Cowzer was indeed streets ahead for personality of the year but that changed, I suppose that is one problem with internet voting, and the other thing is that I probably shouldn't have told him that I didn't think he would be caught. Not a mistake I will make again

John

I find it hard to believe to be honest.

Ps. In my opinion If this is done again in the future it should either be the cage contender awards or else done neutrally by the people on the ground involved in Mma at all levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

^ That point made me think, was the running of fight.ie not passed onto someone else so JF could concentrate on Ferguson Sports ?

SDTimeout wrote: »
    ^ That point made me think, was the running of fight.ie not passed onto someone else so JF could concentrate on Ferguson Sports ?

www.fight.ie is one of the brands owned by Ferguson Sports Group. While I over see all of the companies and brands within the group I take close to nothing to do with the day to day running of the site. This will change slightly next month when the online superstore opens but I will continue to have more or less zero input into the editorial content of the site.

The editorial content is looked after by Chris Shanks who is also a writer for MMA Hitpit and David Woodland (Superwoody) from www.fighthounds.com we also have other contributors to the site. We will also take articles from others, so if you would like to contribute do get in touch, provided that your article is factually correct and can be proven so we will take it.

where was my award for wally of the year. i'm disgusted i didn't win after jf had more or less assured me i would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Francis Galvin

hi john

i sent u a pm
    thanks

hi john

i sent u a pm
    thanks

:D U have mail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Its a bit sad that people down the road couldn't at least send a few representatives if they werent winning an award. I appreciate that its a fair trip up from the deepest recesses of Southern Ireland for some teams, but least try and make an effort.

Make an effort for what though? It was a clear farce from the beginning, which is why nobody was bothered. A clique patting each other on the back, secret nominations, flawed voting, and the organiser telling certain people they were going to win even though they weren't.

Advertisement