Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best bank for a personal loan

Options
  • 21-11-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

well gonna open up a new account as permanent tsb are [SNIP]! just wondering could anyone recommend the best bank to go for if seeking a personal loan.. i no i obviously wont get it straight away but plan on saving minimun 100 per week into savings then askings after a few months..

anyone help me here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

davemc180 wrote: »
    well gonna open up a new account as permanent tsb are [SNIP]! just wondering could anyone recommend the best bank to go for if seeking a personal loan.. i no i obviously wont get it straight away but plan on saving minimun 100 per week into savings then askings after a few months..

anyone help me here?

Ulsterbank are fairly approachable never had any hassle with loans ect even in the current climate

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

Scrummage wrote: »
    Ulsterbank are fairly approachable never had any hassle with loans ect even in the current climate

cheers for the reply iv already been told to join them.. do you find them ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

First of all try to avoid getting loans unless you really need them, but I guess you considered that... If you're gonna save some money first how about your local credit union? Probably the best/cheapest rates...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

flyguy wrote: »
    First of all try to avoid getting loans unless you really need them, but I guess you considered that... If you're gonna save some money first how about your local credit union? Probably the best/cheapest rates...

yea i tought about the CU but you can only borrow what you have saved the 1st time.. so that kinda cancles that out!! thanks for the imput do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Depends which CU, some allow up to 3 times what you have saved for 1st loan I think (my local CU does x2 IIRC)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

davemc180 wrote: »
    cheers for the reply iv already been told to join them.. do you find them ok?

The customer service in UB is good they have really improved in the past 18mts. I would agree with other posters if you are going to save regularily set up a credit union account and save there the interest rate on loans from the CU is cheaper than banks.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

When you say you're planning on seeking a loan in a couple of months, just bear in mind that you'll probably need to have an account with your new bank for 6 months to a year before they'll let you borrow. Credit union might be your best bet for the savings and loan, but definitely move your current account anyway if you're not happy with the service you're getting from PTSB.

Advertisement