Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Four.

Options
  • 21-11-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I opened the restrictions thread and just wanted to say thanks for the helpful information, not sure why it was closed but i apprectiated the input all the same.

I ended up getting a 93 cb400 super four, so if i need a restriction it's be a washers job (when i got an insurance quote i wasn't asked for one so here hoping they just dont ask)

Picked up the bike for €500 but she's a non-starter will be servicing her tomorrow and charging the battery in my dining room as i type to see if it's just plugs and a charge thats needed to get her going (fingers crossed) absolutely love the look of the super four and for that price im happy to take the chance that it'll be a cheap fix.

Cheers
    Inch
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Great bike, loved mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Lovely Bike, have one meself.

To get it restricted - take to Tom in TQS racing - we will do it for 250 yo-yos.

Paddy, in Paddy's pit stop has a 97 super four that he may be breaking this week or next week. Clocks and mirrors are fubar, but the rest is OK. Could be a good place to go for parts.

Gonna thow up a few pics for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

savage, yeah ill be looking for a few bits and pieces... shame about the clock because my ones are shot too..

but i have all winter to get it sorted out, doing plugs and oil tonight to try get her running. after i have done a lap or two it'll back in the shed to clean the carbs and take the year old petrol and swap/dilute it with fresh fuel.

heres a few pics of the condition she's in a tthe moment, still reckon a bargain for €520

Good luck getting clocks for it, they're rarer than hens teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Good luck getting clocks for it, they're rarer than hens teeth.
    Yes and to buy new their pretty expensive, and inchiuvatu they'll be wlll over the €500 you gave for the total bike ! Is the speedometer or the rev counter working ? If the speedomter and rev counter are not working get it checked by a proper mechanic, he may with a little tweaking may get them operating.

But I have seen badly damaged clocks before where the mileometer, fuel indicator etc have been damaged but once the speedometer and rev counter are working it should be ok for general riding. Just make sure that you have plenty of fuel and check the oil by the little glass window down on the right now and again. With a second hand bike and it is 93, you'll probably be better spending money on more essentials.

• Advertisement

Hopefully at least one of them work but and the moment all i know is it backfires and the lights work, will find out after dinner if there is any hope!

To be honest, I've seen worse bikes. It looks like the casings are OK on the clocks. You might be OK if they're not damaged, just disconnected.

Best of look with it. Let us know how you get on.

Changed the plugs and the bike started right up, now it was rough because of the fuel and probably carbs but there wasn't any rattles of shudders.. Will be spraying the carbs with cleaner and changing the fuel and air filter tomorrow to see how it runs and if needed will clean out the carbs properly with some expert assistance. Just can't wait to get and ride it around the block.

There's a little sealed tube down beside the gear lever that you need to whip off and empty out every once in a while. It's an overflolw from the filters I think. Get's filled up with condensation and gunk.

Make sure the fork seals are in good nick too. Check for rust, especially anywhere along the traval part that gets used alot. Clean them, push the forks down all the bay a few times, and see if a dark ring appears. If it does, they're on the way out. It's probably the weakest point of an otherwise bullet proof bike.

Type pressure for a Super 4 is 33 Front, 36 Back. And get some decent tape on that saddle hole, unless you want a wet backside!. :)

the fork seals seem ok, the seller said he had them serviced just before he stopped using the bike, but i had my friend testing out the bike and he gave the forks a good going over and seemed happy... im looking into getting the seat recovered or replaced which ever will cost less.. but it'll be hard to find an 15+ year old seat without cracks or damage, though i know a good leather supplier who might be able to help me out in getting it re-covered.

thanks for all the tips on getting it back running, ill post up a few better pics once i have done the work to it and taken off the yellow tape from my wheels.

and i might be in luck with the clocks, the rev meter works, as does the oil temp it's just the speedo so it's probably be fixable.

• Advertisement

More than likely just a broken speedo cable then, same happened on my one.

does anyone know if you can get clip ons for the super four, the rentols that are on it are too wide from my shed door. takes alot of wiggling to get the bike in and out.would prefer to not have to make the custom bars for it.

Clip ons won't really work as the tank is so wide.

I've handlebars that were on the SV when I got it, similar to renthals but a lot narrower, PM me if you're interested in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    does anyone know if you can get clip ons for the super four, the rentols that are on it are too wide from my shed door. takes alot of wiggling to get the bike in and out.would prefer to not have to make the custom bars for it.

saw a few mill off each bar and see how it goes

once i get it running reliably ill try it out and see if im bothered changing.. might take you up on the offer KamiKazi, i like the look of the bars at the moment but if they piss me off enough ill change them.

i have to say im really enjoying working on the bike, this is only my second bike and the first one is so new it doesn't need to be pulled apart to get it or keep it running, i know once the super four is polished back to good shape i wont have too much except general maintenance but it's a fun bike to play with... lets hope i dont cover myself in petrol because of a leaking in the fuel line.... again

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

turn the petrol tap off next time and you should be fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 steven.blanc

Looks good, great buy congrats.

Advertisement