Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Gossip

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

mike65 wrote: »
    everdead.ie where did you get that list?
    Sorry I should of included it
    http://www.epltransferrumors.com/2010-summer-transfers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Boselli for Wigan has turned out to be the biggest pile of ****e ever, they spent 7.5million on him, I actually thought he was going to good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

papagormo wrote: »
    I still wish we held on to Stoch, and possibly Ballack for another year.
    The bit we seen of Yossi was pretty good I thought.

Yeah agree with you there, was shocked Stoch went.

Getting close now to January always a bit of excitement even if we won't do much business this January.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

papagormo wrote: »
    I still wish we held on to Stoch, and possibly Ballack for another year.
    The bit we seen of Yossi was pretty good I thought.

TBH if you're missing anyone this season it's Carvalho.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

As a Liverpool fan, I have zero excitement for the transfer window opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

As a Liverpool fan, I have zero excitement for the transfer window opening.

If the whispers in Germany are to be believed then you may be getting a certain Dutch winger from us and a ridiculously low price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

who's us?

down-arrow.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    down-arrow.jpg

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Huh?

The answer's probably in his sig for those that bother to leave them turned on.

My bad. Didn't know you could turn sigs off.

The answer is Hamburg and Eljero Elia. Liverpool were linked to him last January and in the Summer. Woy has scouts watching Elia and another one of our wingers(Jonathan Pitroipa).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

flahavaj wrote: »
    The answer's probably in his sig for those that bother to leave them turned on.

Apologies. I didn't realise you could turns sigs on. They are off by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The answer is Hamburg and Eljero Elia. Liverpool were linked to him last January and in the Summer. Woy has scouts watching Elia and another one of our wingers(Jonathan Pitroipa).

They any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Was thinking that, Elia is a top winger, would be useful in that Liverpool side. Oddly enough first person who popped into my head was Castelen, which wouldn't make sense because he's criminally injury-prone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Tbh I couldn't imagine Elia wantng to go to Liverpool or Liverpool being able to afford him

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Eljero Elia...is he fast and can he cross a ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Tbh I couldn't imagine Elia wantng to go to Liverpool or Liverpool being able to afford him
    Yeah, nor do think he'll go anywhere till Summer either, if at all this year. I can actually see him fitting in somewhere in Serie A.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Apologies. I didn't realise you could turns sigs on. They are off by default.

Best place for them in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Nemanja91 wrote: »

Why couldn't we afford him?

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    Yeah, nor do think he'll go anywhere till Summer either, if at all this year.

It's not a gimme that he's leaving. But he's clearly frustrated that he isn't getting enough gametime and our manager isn't a fan of his. He has said he and his agent will be meeting with the club soon to ''sort it out''. He was asked if he wanted to stay after our game Friday and he said ''I don't know''. Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

One thing I do know is if he isn't told he'll be starting more then he'll leave. He'll want to play first team and we will want to sell him before his value goes down again. We could use money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

monkey9 wrote: »
    Why couldn't we afford him?

Well he has 3 and a half years left on his contract and I can't see hamburg letting him go for cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

He'll be going for upwards of 20m. Only 3 teams in the league could afford that (not including Arsenal).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

if he is a 20mill player, why isn't he getting his game?

We wont get 20 mil for him. That was the price tag put on him by the club in the summer but nobody would pay it. If he's going to leave next month it'll be for around €14m imo.

And he should be getting a game, he's the best winger we have but he's been unlucky with injuries again this season and 1 or 2 disappointing performances when he came off the bench when he wasn't fully fit has seen him lose his starting place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

sorry mate, my post looked like I was being a smart arse. Just don't have much more than a passing interest in German football tbh, so genuinely didn't understand how a good player could be left sitting.

sounds like a NESV type player so, someone relatively cheap but soe quality about them, who maybe has lost their way a little. We'll see i suppose. I fear we're gong to be linked with every player out there, which gets real old real quick

Dr Galen wrote: »
    sorry mate, my post looked like I was being a smart arse. Just don't have much more than a passing interest in German football tbh, so genuinely didn't understand how a good player could be left sitting.

Not at all :). Perfectly reasonable question to ask when a player valued at €20m only 4 months ago can't get a game.

Sky sports understands City are in advanced talks to sign edin Dzeko what are they going to do with all their strikers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Sky sports understands City are in advanced talks to sign edin Dzeko what are they going to do with all their strikers?

got this sneaky feeling 'arry gonna go for adebayor assuming he takes a big pay cut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Most of the strikers at City and getting shipped out. Our first choice strikers at this point are Tevez & Balotelli.

• Advertisement

Also Julio Baptista who was strongly linked with spurs has signed for malaga

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Also Julio Baptista who was strongly linked with spurs has signed for malaga

ye should be happy about that. Hes useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

shano_88 wrote: »
    ye should be happy about that. Hes useless.

Totally agree for a guy who was built like a sh1t brickhouse, he was a total pussy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

West Ham reported to be interested in Shane Long. If he signs he'll be back in the championship in a few months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

West Ham reported to be interested in Shane Long. If he signs he'll be back in the championship in a few months!

The deal between the Hammers and Villa for Steve Sidwell is considered to be done.

I think we are building a decent team for our assault on the Championship next year !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

BERBA wrote: »
    got this sneaky feeling 'arry gonna go for adebayor assuming he takes a big pay cut.
    Why would Arry need to take a pay cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Liverpool supposedly interested in Carlton Cole.

slingerz wrote: »
    I really hope this is just idle speculation and there's no truth to it.
    i wouldn't let him play for liverpool

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

amiable wrote: »
    I really hope this is just idle speculation and there's no truth to it.
    i wouldn't touch him
    But would you let him play for Liverpool :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

another great mediocre signing for liverpool,just shows what level liverpool are aiming for these days!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Stop saying things like that. It makes my eyes bleed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Carlton Cole? Poor Liverpool. Why are they not having a crack at getting Carroll if they are worried about goals.

Liverpool's main problem is their away form and resilience. Get a couple of guys who are not afraid of a road trip or at the very least get Gerrard fit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭RobTheLad

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3322758/Jermaine-Pennant-signs-permanent-deal-with-Stoke.html

according to the sun jermaine pennant has signed for Stoke on a permanent basis

Ashley Young supposedly Liverpool's top transfer target in January.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/12/30/2282810/liverpool-make-ashley-young-th

How reliable this info is i don't know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ashley Young supposedly Liverpool's top transfer target in January.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/12/30/2282810/liverpool-make-ashley-young-th

How reliable this info is i don't know

I've always said that Young in January for less than 15m is simply a no go, add to it the fact that that report comes from goal.com and that there only quote is two words long and doesent support the premise of their article i'd say it's not too reliable.
    Gerard Houllier, the Aston Villa manager, insists it would take “crazy money” for the Premier League strugglers to sell their prize asset

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Talk of Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane joining Wolves, the former is proabably more plausible than the latter.

And Randy Lerner is on record as saying things have changed at Villa so just cos GH says Crazy money like 80mill for Young doesn't make it so. I remember Rafa saying Barca would have to pay 50mill for Maschareno and that didn't happen.
    In saying all that i don't see Ashley Young being a good enough player to help change things. He's mediocre at best

And Randy Lerner is on record as saying things have changed at Villa so just cos GH says Crazy money like 80mill for Young doesn't make it so. I remember Rafa saying Barca would have to pay 50mill for Maschareno and that didn't happen.
    In saying all that i don't see Ashley Young being a good enough player to help change things. He's mediocre at best

the actual quote from Lerner doesent exactley say what your suggesting and nobody is suggesting any kind of figure like those above but the clubs official line as best can be seen as Houlier is being backed and that Young is not for sale, that his contract

article from the guardian about Houlier
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/30/gerard-houllier-randy-lerner-backing

more to the point, from an article about Young and his contract in the birmingham mail:
    Houlier wrote:
    “Let’s wait and see, at the moment I can tell you that we’ll assess that a bit later on.

“But in the meantime I don’t think he’ll leave in January. I don’t think so.”

Prompted to be more definite, Houllier continued: “He won’t go in January.

“I’ve not spoken to him about it at the moment as he is injured.

“He told us very clearly that he would like to end this season and see what he’ll do and we respect that.

“He knows we hope. The club’s will is to keep him. I’d keep him in until the end of his contract and to keep the club developing. Obviously if someone comes in with crazy money...”

Asked if Villa were bold enough to risk a £20 million-plus-rated player leaving on a free in 18 months’ time, Houllier said: “Am I brave? Yes. Is Mr Lerner brave? Yes, I think so.”

Houllier fully appreciates Young’s value to Villa and has the statistics to support his view that he has been one of Villa’s best, hardest-working players in matches and training this season.

“As far as I’m concerned, since I’ve been here, and I can give you facts, he’s one of the players, if not the one, who’s run more miles in every game,” he said.

“In training I can tell you he puts himself around.

“Why he can do that on the field is because he trains like that all the time. He’s a good trainer and he’s also a good match winner.

“He’s strong and he can withstand physical pressure, I’ve noticed that. He gets fouled, he’s one of the players who gets the most fouls.”

the actual quote from Lerner doesent exactley say what your suggesting and nobody is suggesting any kind of figure like those above but the clubs official line as best can be seen as Houlier is being backed and that Young is not for sale, that his contract

article from the guardian about Houlier
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/30/gerard-houllier-randy-lerner-backing

more to the point, from an article about Young and his contract in the birmingham mail:
    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Ashley-Young-not-going-anywhere-says-Aston-Villa-boss-Gerard-Houllier-article632715.html

I think you'll find Houllier was suggesting those type of figures

I meant nobody on here, Houlier is just trying to emphasise that he's not for sale

• Advertisement
Advertisement