Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Gossip

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

how old is given now?

35 in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ 34 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

ye suppose, how old was van dar sar when united signed him?

i reckon he could still do a job at arsenal for 2-3 years to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Fcuks sake... Apparetly Harry is trying to sign Phil Neville...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

given would want to get of his hole and come out and say he wants to move like he did at the start of the season.

i hope given is not going to be another carlo cudicini happy to sit on the bench as long as he gets his wages.

a keeper as good as given needs to be at a big club, perfect signing for arsenal or united.

I hope he doesn't end up like Cudicini, I'm not even coming from the point-of-view of his International career, it's just disappointing to see a talented lad willingly sitting on his behind collecting paychecks, his business... but it seems a waste to me.

The Arsenal/United point is mute because City won't sell him to a team going for a CL spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

THFC wrote: »

A great pro to have at your club in fairness. Ye could do far far worse and he's an improvement on any of the right backs ye currently have.

flahavaj wrote: »
    A great pro to have at your club in fairness. Ye could do far far worse and he's an improvement on any of the right backs ye currently have.

He wants him for defensive mid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He wants him for defensive mid...

I suppose his versatility is an asset too. I'd have thought with Hudd, Palacios and Sandro ye were OK there.

Anytime I've seen Palacios this year he's been muck. Built like a tank and plays like one too; not an ounce of finesse to his game. He's a tactical fouler at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

ah here phil neville probaly won more trophies than the whole spurs team put together:D

he is a solid player man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Phil Neville was available on the cheap, he'd be an excellent addition to any squad. IMO Better than your current RB, and would be an option all over the defence and the midfield, something that you don't really have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

flahavaj wrote: »

Than Hutton or Charlie? Really? Hutton for me has been one of the outstanding RB's this year.

Kold wrote: »
    Than Hutton or Charlie? Really? Hutton for me has been one of the outstanding RB's this year.

Our most improved player by a distance this season. Neville would add nothing to the squad. We have plenty of defensive cover and midf cover.

Our most improved player by a distance this season. Neville would add nothing to the squad. We have plenty of defensive cover and midf cover.

I still reckon Sandro will turn out to be a beast of a signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If Harry were to sign Neville it should be as cover and to add his experience to the side. Talk of his replacing Hutton is silly imo, Hutton has played very well this year. Yes he's been caught out defensively once or twice but he's a great asset to Spurs on the overlap going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

a keeper as good as given needs to be at a big club, perfect signing for arsenal or united.

Utd and Arsenal have had plenty of opportunities to sign Given and they have never went for it, I cant see them doing so now even if City would sell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

From football-italia.net
    Flamengo have formally announced on their official website that they have signed Ronaldinho from Milan on a four-year deal.

The 30-year-old playmaker's contract was due to expire in the summer and Milan felt it best that they went their separate ways.

Milan Vice-President Adriano Galliani gave the Brazil international permission to seek a move home to Brazil after he brought in Antonio Cassano to replace him.

Ronaldinho has been in talks with several Brazilian clubs, notably Palmeiras and Gremio, but after weeks of negotiations Flamengo have won the race to sign the two-time winner of the World Player of the Year award.

“Ronaldo de Assis Moreira, or simply Ronaldinho Gaucho, will wear the Flamengo shirt,” read a statement on the club's website.

“I can already imagine that stadium packed full of fans,” said Ronaldinho. “They can expect maximum effort from me and obviously I hope that my hard work will get me back into the Brazil side.”

Bye bye, thanks for last season, enjoy the partying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Frisbee wrote: »
    If Harry were to sign Neville it should be as cover and to add his experience to the side. Talk of his replacing Hutton is silly imo, Hutton has played very well this year. Yes he's been caught out defensively once or twice but he's a great asset to Spurs on the overlap going forward.

Wow, I couldn't even come close to agreeing with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Is 'Arry going to sign Nicky Butt and Jonathan Greening too? I reckon he's developed an eccentric desire to collect the Manchester United trebling winning squad.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Wow, I couldn't even come close to agreeing with that.

I can only assume you don't watch Spurs much so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

In fairness, I have watched a few games myself,

I saw a good deal of Hutton when he was on loan at Sunderland last season and I was very impressed with him,

He may be coming close to his potential of late, but certainly his early part of the season appearances that I saw were not up to the level he was at at Sunderland.

Maybe he didn't stand out as much given the quality of the Spurs team, but I remember coming away thinking he was half the player I saw at Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

How bad are Ajaxs financial problems because Dutch media are talking about Ajax encouraging a bidding war between tottenham and Liverpool.

I've watched a lot of Spurs this year, and while Hutton is certainly improved, he's still a defensive liability. Now you could stick with him and maybe he'll iron it out of his game, but if I was Harry, defence is what I'd be most concerned about, and an experienced defender who can play across the back 5 is something that'd certainly interest me. All top squads ultimately need an O'Shea type player, who can step in and do the job when required. O'Shea getting injured last year imo cost United the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

PHB wrote: »
    I've watched a lot of Spurs this year, and while Hutton is certainly improved, he's still a defensive liability. Now you could stick with him and maybe he'll iron it out of his game, but if I was Harry, defence is what I'd be most concerned about, and an experienced defender who can play across the back 5 is something that'd certainly interest me. All top squads ultimately need an O'Shea type player, who can step in and do the job when required. O'Shea getting injured last year imo cost United the title.

Even as a united supported I think it was a lot more then just that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You know what they say about assuming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Whos Charlie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MR NINE wrote: »
    Whos Charlie?

Corluka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Corluka

Suppose I could have figured it out, I was trying to think of a Spurs full back called Charlie/Charles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

mike65 wrote: »
    Kenny Miller to Brum, he'll get polite round of applause at Molineux :) Where that leaves
    Keane is another matter.
    Move has fallen through and it looks like there's a battle between Marseille and Fiorentina for his signature. I am not joking either!

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/69/transfer-zone/2011/01/09/2296964/report-fiorentina-set-to-land-rangers-striker-kenny-miller

Always thought he looked a classy player. Just a shame he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.

How bad are Ajaxs financial problems because Dutch media are talking about Ajax encouraging a bidding war between tottenham and Liverpool.

For Suarez?

I rate JOSH but he wasn't the reason you got beat by Chelsea last year whatever way you swing it PHB.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    I rate JOSH but he wasn't the reason you got beat by Chelsea last year whatever way you swing it PHB.

We lost the title last season by one point. When O'Shea was injuried, and we had our worst injury crisis in defence I've ever seen, O'Shea was the player who normally fills in when anyone in the back 4 is out. With him injuried, we had to play people like Carrick in CB, and we dropped points.

IMO, if he had stayed fit, we would have won the league.

He didn't, and we didn't, and that's the way things go, everyone has injuries and you've got to to have the squad to overcome them, but players like O'Shea and Neville can add you an extra 5-6 points a season, because of their flexibility while maintaining a high enough level of performance.

cson wrote: »
    For Suarez?

Ya for Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Coentrao heavily linked to a move to Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I've watched a lot of Spurs this year, and while Hutton is certainly improved, he's still a defensive liability.

If we could weld him and Corluka together, we'd have a pacy, marauding full-back (Hutton) who can defend as good as a centre-half when need be and connect telepathically with Lennon (Charlie). The scientific ethical questionability of the experiment is the only obstacle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

markesmith wrote: »
    If we could weld him and Corluka together, we'd have a pacy, marauding full-back (Hutton) who can defend as good as a centre-half when need be and connect telepathically with Lennon (Charlie). The scientific ethical questionability of the experiment is the only obstacle :)

Sorry - Arry doesn't fancy it - "Listen, I'm a wheeler-dealer, not a bloody surgeon"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Anyone know what the current update is with Sebastian Larsson? Apparently he didn't agree personal terms with NUFC, has anyone heard anything since?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Anyone know what the current update is with Sebastian Larsson? Apparently he didn't agree personal terms with NUFC, has anyone heard anything since?

Doesn't sound like he is going anywhere and may leave on a free in the summer. Today from McLeish after getting Bentley

"We're delighted to have David's services. He is a classy footballer and will enhance the quality of the squad," said City manager Alex McLeish, speaking on Birmingham's official website, on Wednesday.
    "He is a natural footballer capable of top delivery at set-pieces. With the likes of him, (Alexander) Hleb and (Sebastian) Larsson - who has had a great season consistency-wise - we have creative players.

Rumours today that Aaronn Ramsey is a loan target for Blackpool, I think he'd improve any premier league team outside the top five certainly Bolton, Liverpool, Blackpool, Newcastle, Brom ya just about every team

Rumours today that Aaronn Ramsey is a loan target for Blackpool, I think he'd improve any premier league team outside the top five certainly Bolton, Liverpool, Blackpool, Newcastle, Brom ya just about every team

Could be with a view of letting Charlie Adam go? or just a rumour fueled. by the assumtion Adam will be gone soon

• Advertisement

Could be with a view of letting Charlie Adam go? or just a rumour fueled. by the assumtion Adam will be gone soon
    In fairness to Ramsey he's probably even better than Adam is.

Yeah, or at least will be, but he will only be a loan deal, I wasn't comparing the players quality, just that getting Ramsey in would hint at letting Adam go,

Or does Holloway have ideas on playing them both in the centre and further enhancing his total football beliefs! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

While it would be good to see him getting game time in the EPL I'd hate to lose him from the squad. He can certainly contribute this season and should displace Denilson in the squad as soon as he gets back to full fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Certainly not at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

He is in his shíte

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

He is in his shíte
    I always knew doing the honours english would stand you well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

amiable wrote: »
    I always knew doing the honours english would stand you well

I was in pass,got an A.
    By the way,the post from me you quoted is in perfect colloquial english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yakubu joins Leicester on loan for the rest of the season. Should rip it up in the Championship.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Yakubu joins Leicester on loan for the rest of the season. Should rip it up in the Championship.
    And he's coming into his prime now in his mid 40's

Advertisement