Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Gossip

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Darren Bent to Villa.

Michael Owen to Sunderland (rumoured at the weekend) could be on the cards. Would mean United would have to bring someone in though.

According to a United fan on twitter (Yolkie from 7Cantonas and formerly Stretford-End.com) had said previously that he heard from a very reliable source that United had agreed a deal for Jordan Henderson and that Benzema would be brought in if we could find a buyer for Owen.

Don't see it happening though - Madrid can't afford to let Benzema go at the moment for starters.

Can't see it myself,

How could we keep Benzema, Rooney, Berba and Chico happy? United will be playing 4-5-1 in the later stages of the CL, not enough games to keep 4 strikers of that quality and age happy in terms of game time.

imo Kiko was loaned out with the knowledge that Owen is happy to play 4th choice and leave in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

Well it looks like Bent could be on his way to Villa. Did not see this one coming. I am quite surprised Villa are spending this much on a player. Not like them at all. Also it raises the question about why O'Neill left the club. He must not have been trusted to spend the money if it is available. I personally would trust O'Neill with funds before Houillier (Diao, Diouf, Cheyrou, Traore) but having said that Bent is proven in the Premier League so could prove a good signing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Price as a measure of a player's worth is fairly meaningless. What matters is how much teh player is worth to the team that sells and the team that buys. If Bent saves Villa from relegation he's worth every penny of 18 million. If he makes the difference between 9th and 8th place for Sunderland it's not really worth holding on to him.

Eurosport are saying Sunderland have accepted the bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If Suarez goes to Liverpool, I'll be disappointed in Spurs for not making a move. Harry's been given the cash and surely we have to look the more attractive move?

Harry said the problem is finding an available top class striker. Well there seems to be one available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Houiller is a good manager, a good judge of player and very knowledgable regarding football, one of his biggest fans in Fergie even, he seems to get a raw deal for some reason or other but make no mistake he is a very capable manager

Kold wrote: »
    If Suarez goes to Liverpool, I'll be disappointed in Spurs for not making a move. Harry's been given the cash and surely we have to look the more attractive move?

Harry said the problem is finding an available top class striker. Well there seems to be one available.
    I think Spurs are wanting to add a proven top goalscorer who has done the business in the big leagues. Yes Suarez could be the answer and be a big hit but it could also be a big gamble. Van Nistelrooy was a prolific goalscorer in Holland and done it the Prem. Kezman was a prolific goalscorer in Holland and didn't do much in the Prem. Suarez move is a bit of a gamble imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Kold wrote: »

Suarez plays as a second striker we are looking for a front man, linked again with Rossi from Villareal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Darren Bent is on his way to Villa for talks according to a few journos. 18 million pound transfer fee!

Where was that money for MON?

MON spent a fair chunk of change at Villa, I don't think Lerner was overly impressed with how it was spent though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Suarez plays as a second striker we are looking for a front man, linked again with Rossi from Villareal

Who is also a second striker/trequartista....

At 5'8" I don't see him leading the line anytime soon...

I wouldnt like Rossi to sign for Spurs, still have a soft spot for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Darren Bent is on his way to Villa for talks according to a few journos. 18 million pound transfer fee!

Where was that money for MON?

He spent most of it on Curtis Davies.

kryogen wrote: »
    Houiller is a good manager, a good judge of player and very knowledgable regarding football, one of his biggest fans in Fergie even, he seems to get a raw deal for some reason or other but make no mistake he is a very capable manager
    I'm not too sure about that. He made some awful signings at Pool. £10m for Diouf. I do however regard him as a better coach than Rafa is.

I'm not too sure about that. He made some awful signings at Pool. £10m for Diouf. I do however regard him as a better coach than Rafa is.

All managers have made awful signings, he has had more clubs then Liverpool, he recommended Cantona, he advised Fergie on how to man manage Cantona, he brought through players like Carragher Gerrard Owen etc.. during his time at Liverpool and he won trophies at the club as well as finishing runner up in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Apparently Ashley Young to Liverpool. Bent to Villa and N'Zogbia and Owen to Sunderland.

Transfer muppetry has begun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

N'Zogbia would a great signing for Sunderland, can't see Wigan letting him go until the summer at least though.

kryogen wrote: »
    All managers have made awful signings, he has had more clubs then Liverpool, he recommended Cantona, he advised Fergie on how to man manage Cantona, he brought through players like Carragher Gerrard Owen etc.. during his time at Liverpool and he won trophies at the club as well as finishing runner up in the league.
    Fair point, I think Houllier is a decent manager but I just think some of his signings for Liverpool are questionable.

Looks like Downing is on his way to Liverpool. I think Ashley Young would be a better signing if it happens. Downing though not a bad signing either. Definitely better than some of the options Pool Liverpool currently have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Keane has priced himself out of a mover to Brum.

They have ended their interest.

Bad news for the national team.

noodler wrote: »

Yes this is bad news for the international team. You would wonder where Keane could go now that would satisfy his wage demands, if indeed that is the reason the move has fallen through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I cannot see ashley young moving to liverpool, i really cannot see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

noodler wrote: »

Agreed.

What sort of wages was he looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ush1 wrote: »
    Agreed.

What sort of wages was he looking for?
    CLUB END KEANE INTEREST

0,,10412%7E9018340,00.jpgBlues will not be signing Tottenham striker Robbie Keane in the January transfer window - but do have a number of other targets in their sights.
    Club acting chairman Peter Pannu (pictured) met with manager Alex McLeish and chief scout Paul Montgomery today and a decision was made not to progress with the possible acquisition of Spurs man Keane.
    Pannu exclusively told bcfc.com: "I met with Alex and Paul today to discuss some new targets - names that we will not be mentioning at this moment in time - as we have decided that the signing of Keane would not be in the best financial interests of the club.
    "Everyone knows he is a tremendous player but having considered the overall package (one which certainly wasn't unfair on the part of his representatives to ask for given his talent and experience), Keane's age and the length of contract we felt that financially he wasn't the best option available.
    "This is unfortunate because Keane is a class act but supporters can rest assured we are considering other options and will pursue them where financially viable."
    Blues fans are reminded that the only place to hear official statements about the club's transfer activity first is here at bcfc.com

Thats all Brum said

http://www.bcfc.com/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10412~2269224,00.html

Hard to see where Keane could go now. Other possible destinations are Newcastle, but can't see Ashley forking out on high wages let alone a fee, West Ham, in big debt, fighting relegation, probably won't fund big wages, I don't know what club will take him. Sunderland possibly if Bent goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Guy on Sky Sports sayin Real Madrid are in for Tevez! Yargh, i thought we were done with this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Keane was looking for £65 grand a week and be allowed to continue living in London. I doubt think any Brum fans thought he would sign, there were indications that the deal was going to be called off so this announcement is no surprise. Can not see Keane going anywhere this transfer window after this break down so it was quite silly of him to reject a move away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Guy on Sky Sports sayin Real Madrid are in for Tevez! Yargh, i thought we were done with this!

No chance Real will sign him, maybe in the summer. If Man City want to win the league this season then they need to keep Tevez. He has been fantastic this season, in fact the last two years at Real and it makes me sick. Yuk!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone really does need to tell Keane to cop on, he could sign for any number of clubs if he stopped with his overvalued self worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

mike65 wrote: »
    Someone really does need to tell Keane to cop on, he could sign for any number of clubs if he stopped with his overvalued self worth.

He is 30 and has played fcuk all first team football this season and not much towards the end of last season. Not worth the 70K reported plus the fee Spurs want. He might find himself on the bench for the remainder of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Can't see Real getting Tevez when they are unsuccessfully trying to get RVN for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Vanbis wrote: »
    No chance Real will sign him, maybe in the summer. If Man City want to win the league this season then they need to keep Tevez. He has been fantastic this season, in fact the last two years at Real and it makes me sick. Yuk!!
    Eh....... What?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Le King wrote: »
    Agreed, certainly would kick start the window.

What about Van Bommel to Spurs or Liverpool?

Suarez to Liverpool won't happen IMO.
    Why in your opinion won't that happen. You are quite entitled to that opinion. Just wondering if you'd like to elaborate?

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Why in your opinion won't that happen. You are quite entitled to that opinion. Just wondering if you'd like to elaborate?

Think he's looking for champions league football.

mike65 wrote: »
    Why should he take a 20k per week reduction in wages? He might be trying to get Spurs to drop their asking price? 7mill for a 30year old is a bit much imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Because he will go to Spurs .. Both clubs will agree a fee and he will choose Spurs as they are more attractive at the moment IMO.

Re Suarez btw

Think he's looking for champions league football.
    Where has he said that?
    He won't get that at Spurs this season.

Playboy wrote: »
    Because he will go to Spurs .. Both clubs will agree a fee and he will choose Spurs as they are more attractive at the moment IMO.
    Both clubs might agree a fee but why is it a given that he will choose Spurs?
    He has the same agent as Torres.
    Liverpool have a hefty Spanish speaking contingent.
    I think if it comes down to it he'll choose liverpool over Spurs.

Where has he said that?

Being cup tied obviously not should probably put a bid in before we even start thinking about that but I think he said he wanted to play in the big competitions win the big trophys doesn't get any bigger than Champions league

Where has he said that?

A lot more chance he will get it at Spurs than at Liverpool next season. Liverpool are a mess at the moment.

Both clubs might agree a fee but why is it a given that he will choose Spurs?
    He has the same agent as Torres.
    Liverpool have a hefty Spanish speaking contingent.
    I think if it comes down to it he'll choose liverpool over Spurs.

If u cant see how spurs are a more attractive proposition right now then I don't know what to say. Settled team and manager.. Playing great football.. London as a location... Etc etc

Being cup tied obviously not should probably put a bid in before we even start thinking about that but I think he said he wanted to play in the big competitions win the big trophys doesn't get any bigger than Champions league
    He won't win the champions league at Spurs and a big competition could be the Premier league.

If u cant see how spurs are a more attractive proposition right now then I don't know what to say. Settled team and manager.. Playing great football.. London as a location... Etc etc

Actually forgot about the London thing he "allegedly" said if he was going to England he'd like to raise his daughter in London so could be Chelsea Arsenal Spurs or maybe QPR in the summer :p

• Advertisement

The london thing as a location is a myth nowadays. That was a thing in the 80's and 90's. Settled manager? Haha.... Good one. He's off first time the FA call which we all know they will. Time will tell i suppose but if you can't see the prestige of playing for Liverpool i don't know what to say

The london thing as a location is a myth nowadays. That was a thing in the 80's and 90's. Settled manager? Haha.... Good one. He's off first time the FA call which we all know they will. Time will tell i suppose but if you can't see the prestige of playing for Liverpool i don't know what to say
    Again we'd have to put a bid in on him. Not even 100% he'd be right for the club. The London thing is Definetly not a myth though still a huge thing.

Why is location a myth? Have you been to Liverpool and London? There is no comparison with London especially if you are a foreign player.

Redknapp might get an England call but its very doubtful considering his personality and his past. Sure he is popular with the public but he is not liked within the FA. Anyway the point was in regard to the fact that Rednapp has been in charge of the team for a few seasons.. the club has progressed massively under him.. there is a great team spirit and players love playing here .. you just have to listen to the interviews VDV, Modric and Bale have given recently.

I'm not doubting that Liverpool is a prestigeous club to play for but look at the situation a bit objectively. Liverpool are practically in a relegation fight .. You have just sacked your new manager and replaced him temporarily with a past legend who has been out of the game for a decade. Its yet to be seen what the new owners are like or how much they are willing to invest. Torres looks like he wants out .. Joe Cole must be thinking he made the worst mistake of his career.. Gerrard is in the twilight of his career as is Carragher. There is a serious lack of up and coming talent to replace these players and the rest of the squad is average at best and we still dont know if there are enough funds available to rebuild. You are no closer to getting a new Stadium and Liverpool isnt excatly the most attractive place to live in terms of nightlife or if you want to raise a family.

Spurs have a young team full of talent.. are based in London.. will have a new stadium in a couple of years.. and are competing for honours.

Liverpool might be able to trump Spurs on wages like they did with Cole but Suarez has come out and said he wants to go somewhere to play good football and he has said he would prefer to live in London. If it comes down to a straight choice between Spurs and Liverpool then spurs are more attractive even if Liverpool have an illustrous history. 2 years ago he would have signed for Liverpool and maybe 2 years in the future he will also prefer to sign for Liverpool but right now its a no brainer imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Just ask joe cole did he make the right choice in signing for pool over spurs ( obviously his bank balance would say so)

Thank god we didnt get him.:p

just see now that Pienaar on the way ...quality player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

2 transfers that will probably go ahead in the Summer is Tevez and Vidic to Real Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

BERBA wrote: »
    Just ask joe cole did he make the right choice in signing for pool over spurs ( obviously his bank balance would say so)

Thank god we didnt get him.:p

just see now that Pienaar on the way ...quality player
    Does he not have to choose between you's or chelsea now ? Or has he agreed terms with yous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Pienaar is going to Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Does he not have to choose between you's or chelsea now ? Or has he agreed terms with yous

sign of the times that abramovich wont give him the bobs he's looking for

or maybe pienaar thinks we are on the way ,id like to think its the latter

Why is location a myth? Have you been to Liverpool and London? There is no comparison with London especially if you are a foreign player.

Redknapp might get an England call but its very doubtful considering his personality and his past. Sure he is popular with the public but he is not liked within the FA. Anyway the point was in regard to the fact that Rednapp has been in charge of the team for a few seasons.. the club has progressed massively under him.. there is a great team spirit and players love playing here .. you just have to listen to the interviews VDV, Modric and Bale have given recently.

I'm not doubting that Liverpool is a prestigeous club to play for but look at the situation a bit objectively. Liverpool are practically in a relegation fight .. You have just sacked your new manager and replaced him temporarily with a past legend who has been out of the game for a decade. Its yet to be seen what the new owners are like or how much they are willing to invest. Torres looks like he wants out .. Joe Cole must be thinking he made the worst mistake of his career.. Gerrard is in the twilight of his career as is Carragher. There is a serious lack of up and coming talent to replace these players and the rest of the squad is average at best and we still dont know if there are enough funds available to rebuild. You are no closer to getting a new Stadium and Liverpool isnt excatly the most attractive place to live in terms of nightlife or if you want to raise a family.

Spurs have a young team full of talent.. are based in London.. will have a new stadium in a couple of years.. and are competing for honours.

Liverpool might be able to trump Spurs on wages like they did with Cole but Suarez has come out and said he wants to go somewhere to play good football and he has said he would prefer to live in London. If it comes down to a straight choice between Spurs and Liverpool then spurs are more attractive even if Liverpool have an illustrous history. 2 years ago he would have signed for Liverpool and maybe 2 years in the future he will also prefer to sign for Liverpool but right now its a no brainer imo!
    Location is a myth now cos people can fly wherever they want from several airports including Manchester airport which is near liverpool which they couldn't do years ago.
    I've lived in London so yes i know London. I doubt South Americans know as much about Spurs as they do Liverpool. The Spanish speakers at Liverpool and Torres being Surez's agent will sway it IMO and who knows what other players are being lined up which i'm sure they'll use to persuade him to sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Location is a myth now cos people can fly wherever they want from several airports including Manchester airport which is near liverpool which they couldn't do years ago.
    I've lived in London so yes i know London. I doubt South Americans know as much about Spurs as they do Liverpool. The Spanish speakers at Liverpool and Torres being Surez's agent will sway it IMO and who knows what other players are being lined up which i'm sure they'll use to persuade him to sign.

I just knew his head wasnt in the right place the last while!

Advertisement