Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Sunday

Walking: 4.3km.

Monday

Running (morning): 10km Recovery around Bushy Park, 90% on grass and trails :) Kept the pace slow.

Cycling: 12km to work.

Running (evening): 6km Recovery home from work. Got the bus down to Montrose, ran through UCD and up along the Dodder, 60% on grass. Slow pace again.

Tuesday

Running: 18km to work with VO2 Max (5 x 1200m @ 5km race-pace). This was tough. I more or less hit the target. Two reps were on footpaths, the other three were in a park I discovered in Blackrock called Rockfield Park. A few small hills to challenge me!

I got 8.5 hours of sleep last night and 7.5 the previous night. I'm going to try get 9 hours each night between now and the marathon as it's good for recovery. Approaching 2000 miles for this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Have you tried using zinc-oxide tape on your nipples ? I find it works great to prevent any chafing in that area.

Have you tried using zinc-oxide tape on your nipples ? I find it works great to prevent any chafing in that area.

Cheers, I'll have a look for that. I'll try anything at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Else a plasters over them. Works for me.

Good stuff on the recent training. Looking good.

There's was a decent wind in the Phoenix Park last week, particularly on Chesterfield Road. I see you went up it twice so that's good going.

Tuesday

Cycling: 15km home from work.

Wednesday

Running: 23km Medium-Long run into work. Average pace of 5:12min/km. I found a shortcut that takes 40 metres off my run to work -woopdidoo! At least it means I can cross the road to Monkstown Road at a safer spot.

Pace wasn't too hard at all - found myself doing sub-5min/km at a few stages, had to hold back.

Thursday

Cycling: 12km into work.

Running: 13km recovery home from work with 8 x 100m strides. I left the strides until the end - chose the park behind my house with a straight 150m path.

My feet are sore this week so I'm really, really glad that the tapering is so soon.

I never really suffer from taper madness, but one thing that I do foresee is having a lot more time on my hands for the next few weeks. I usually have loads of things going on so hopefully I'll do something productive and non-running related with the time.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Else a plasters over them. Works for me.

Good stuff on the recent training. Looking good.

There's was a decent wind in the Phoenix Park last week, particularly on Chesterfield Road. I see you went up it twice so that's good going.

Thanks. Plasters don't stay on unfortunately, too much hair!

Chesterfield was quite hard alright, especially at that pace. Looking forward to the IMRA Winter League? I can't wait to get off the pavements and into the hills again!!

Cheers, I'll have a look for that. I'll try anything at this stage!

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

You didn't mention the chafing!
    I got DESTROYED there in Berlin - its soooo obvious in the photos, and the white Crusaders does not make it any better :)

I had tape on, but it came off around half way due to sweat and getting drenched a few times running thru streams of water from firemen [it was pretty humid, so they were spraying water onto road here or there to cool folks down]

So need a better "loads of sweat" proof solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great LSR last weekend. This weekend should give you a good idea in devising your marathon plan. Whatever you decide though, just look at the huuugge improvements over the past 2 years and revel in what you've achieved so far! Enjoy the last hurrah and then the ensuing 2 weeks of craziness! I don't envy you ;)

• Advertisement

So need a better "loads of sweat" proof solution

Zinc Oxide Tape. It's everything proof. Including post-run-painfree-removal proof.

Thanks. Plasters don't stay on unfortunately, too much hair!

Chesterfield was quite hard alright, especially at that pace. Looking forward to the IMRA Winter League? I can't wait to get off the pavements and into the hills again!!

The zinc oxide tape that someone mention is pretty good. That said, getting it off is painful if you're a hirsute gentleman.

Really looking forward to getting off the roads. Missing Run the Line this weekend so hopefully make up for it in November. And then sure I might have a crack at Art O'Neill

Zinc Oxide Tape. It's everything proof. Including post-run-painfree-removal proof.
    The zinc oxide tape that someone mention is pretty good. That said, getting it off is painful if you're a hirsute gentleman.

Aw man, this will really hurt me so. It's either that or waxing and I'm definitely not going down that route!
    Really looking forward to getting off the roads. Missing Run the Line this weekend so hopefully make up for it in November. And then sure I might have a crack at Art O'Neill

Art O'Neill Ultra or Hybrid?! There's a good chance I'll be doing the Hybrid, but I'll need to get more hiking and navigation training.

Blue Light Mountain Madness looks a bit crazy. 5km - up to the masts at Three Rock and back again :eek:

Aw man, this will really hurt me so. It's either that or waxing and I'm definitely not going down that route!

See your PMs. you really just need a very small square on tape to cover the nipple. Don't stick it in the hairy part.

See your PMs. you really just need a very small square on tape to cover the nipple. Don't stick it in the hairy part.

Ah, see that now, thanks!

Just in from 20 miles with 14 @ marathon pace for 3hr15min, again. I needed conclusive proof that I'm not able for 3:15 and today I got it. I had to dig deep for the last 5 miles and I hung on. But with less than 1000 metres uphill to go I more or less hit the wall and finished it at 10minutes/mile pace. An excellent 2hr34 of training all the same!

Will report tomorrow evening, but the plan now is definitely 3:20, no going back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Just in from 20 miles with 14 @ marathon pace for 3hr15min, again. I needed conclusive proof that I'm not able for 3:15 and today I got it. I had to dig deep for the last 5 miles and I hung on. But with less than 1000 metres uphill to go I more or less hit the wall and finished it at 10minutes/mile pace. An excellent 2hr34 of training all the same!

Will report tomorrow evening, but the plan now is definitely 3:20, no going back.

me and you both.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

the plan now is definitely 3:20, no going back.
    me and you both.............

Me three :) well 3:20-3:25ish...

Friday

Running: 8km Recovery to Stillorgan. Got the bus for the last 3km - took 45 minutes :mad:

Saturday

Running: 32 km Long Run

Friday evening I travelled to Galway and dropped a few bottles and bananas along the route I had planned – Spiddal to Salthill and back again. I had planned this route because it was the least hilliest option in the area, but the road turned out to be surprisingly undulating. I ate, drank and slept well on Friday and throughout the week meaning I had given myself my best chance at performing well on Saturday.

Saturday morning was fairly warm when I left the house. For the first few kilometres I was still debating what my plan was for the run. P&D called for a straight 32km Long Run, but I had other ideas as I was still not convinced that running DCM in 3hr 15min was too much for me. Also, I turned a similar equivalent run into a PMP run when training for the Connemarathon at this same stage of the plan and it had turned out very well.

The first 9km was nice and handy and I decided to do the final 23km at 4:37min/km, being careful not to go out too fast in the first few kilometres. I remember passing a fella asleep on the bench outside Tigh Phádraigín's pub! By the time I came to my drop-off at the Connemara Coast Hotel, I was already quite thirsty. Had 500ml of water and a banana and soon after started the PMPs.

The pace felt OK all the way into Salthill (catching the tail end of the Galway Bay HM) and all the way back to the Connemara Coast for the second 500m and banana. But the following km was quite slow, mostly because of fumbling around with the bottle and banana. Once I had finished them, I found it difficult to keep up the pace. I don't know why I thought of it, but I figured I wasn't concentrating enough. Once I concentrated on form I found I was on target again.

Coming past the pub pub again I saw the same a fella still asleep on the bench - at least 90 minutes he was asleep! Anyway just past this pub is a longish hill, the highest of the day, slowed down a bit on the hill, and picked up again on the far side. All the way to Spiddal was grand, but coming to the last 800m I hit a wall.

The last 800m is all uphill and I knew I wasn't going to hit the pace. I slowed down slightly and from there I couldn't stop slowing down. The last km was by far the slowest at 5:59min/km :o

The run was very, very good, but the pace leaves zero room for error - anything could happen on DCM-day.

The plan is now 3hr 20min which is around 4:42min/km. Not a hell of a lot slower at all, but I think it is achievable with the training I have put in.

Garmin Link

Meanwhile, I'm gonna taper like it's 1999 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Your going to smash DCM mate, brilliant training!

Now, slowly go insane for the next few weeks and entertain us all with your taper madness :pac:

Sunday

Rest

Monday

Rest, again. I banked this day a few weeks ago :)

Cycling: 16.5km home from work. Picked up some zinc oxide tape from a generous cambo_gueno. No more bloody nips (hopefully!)

Tuesday

Running: 11km recovery to work. I didn't feel like the scheduled strides would be a good idea as I feel a few niggles (no, it's not taper madness, I think!). One in my knee and the other in the groin. Taper will sort that out hopefully.

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Running: 19.2km Medium-Long home from work, and crossed the 2000-mile mark for the year.

Thursday

Running: 8.8km Recovery at lunchtime, running the two piers in Dún Laoghaire. Got soaked.

Cycling: 12km home from work.

Friday

Running: 6.2km Recovery around Bushy Park at 6am. 8km was on the schedule but I was pressed for time.

I have done a little bit more cycling this week. Around 50km. I can feel the fitness on the bike now as fewer of my cycles are 'recovery' from running due to the taper.

Tomorrow I'm running the TríSport Conamara 10km in Carna. Apparently the weather's not too great there at the moment so hopefully it will clear up by 4pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Tomorrow I'm running the TríSport Conamara 10km in Carna. Apparently the weather's not too great there at the moment so hopefully it will clear up by 4pm!

You gonna race this? What time are you aiming for?
    Best of luck with it anyways.

belcarra wrote: »
    You gonna race this? What time are you aiming for?
    Best of luck with it anyways.

Cheers! Yeah, going to race it. It's even scheduled in P&D!

Time-wise, my PB is 45:05 (in the Race Series Half Marathon) so I will most likely beat that. My Rathfarnham 5km time indicates 41:30 so I would like to better that too! Ronanmac (Race Director) tells me that it's flat with a small hill in the middle so I reckon I have a good chance, especially with the start of tapering this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

You should be grand, won't be running it this year due to bad knees. But its relatively flat on the way out and a bit of a hill around the 8-9 km mark if i remember correctly from last year. But nothing that would be to difficult compared to other courses.

Cheers! Yeah, going to race it. It's even scheduled in P&D!

Time-wise, my PB is 45:05 (in the Race Series Half Marathon) so I will most likely beat that. My Rathfarnham 5km time indicates 41:30 so I would like to better that too! Ronanmac (Race Director) tells me that it's flat with a small hill in the middle so I reckon I have a good chance, especially with the start of tapering this week.

41:30 would set you up nicely so if you beat it you're in great shape!
    I must do a 10k soon to see where I currently stand...I'd certainly be happy with 41:30 myself at the moment!

backspacer wrote: »
    You should be grand, won't be running it this year due to bad knees. But its relatively flat on the way out and a bit of a hill around the 8-9 km mark if i remember correctly from last year. But nothing that would be to difficult compared to other courses.

Nice to see you back here again. If no running, are you still doing the club cycles? Agus comhghairdeas ar bhur ndea-scéal!

Thanks for the course tips too! I usually have a look at Google Streetview for unfamiliar courses but this time it doesn't give much away. Am I right in saying there will most definitely be a bit of wind?

belcarra wrote: »
    41:30 would set you up nicely so if you beat it you're in great shape!
    I must do a 10k soon to see where I currently stand...I'd certainly be happy with 41:30 myself at the moment!

You're well-able for it. Your heart is definitely in the training - especially in the past few weeks - which is essential for the faster shorter races. Have you any tuneup races planned before Valencia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done on the 2k miles this year and I'm jealous of your An Spideal running, lovely part of the world.

A slightly hilly 10km in 42:11. Came in 16th place!!!

• Advertisement

Where to start with this report?! I had such a blast yesterday!

It started on the drive back from Spiddal to Carna - the Twelve Bens and the Maamturks looked amazing on Saturday so I was in a great mood already arriving at the Carna Bay Hotel. Also it was perfect running conditions. The organising club were local Connemara triathlon club, TríSpórt who had a weekend-long festival of running, including a Chi running workshop with Catherina McKiernan. A large finishing-archway greeted us with Bruce Springsteen blaring :cool: 150 were taking part and the registration was easy-peasy with a nice little goodie bag.

Warmup
    I did a makey-uppy warmup about 15 minutes beforehand - a few strides building up to around race pace. Immediately I felt like I hadn't the bounce in my stride I had a few weeks ago around the time of the Rathfarnham 5km. After having read a few articles on the bus to Galway on Friday about mental strength in races, I knew not to let this bother me.

Just before the Race Director's (boardsie Ronanmac) instructions, I made my way back to the start line and hung around very close to the front. At home I had looked at last year's results and spoke to Rónán about his expectations for winning time so I judged that I should be close to the front and lined up in around the third line.

The Race
    Once the gun went everyone around me went out about the same pace as the expected leaders, meaning I went out too fast too :rolleyes: Not the first time me or anybody has made or will make that mistake! The first 250m were at 3:15min/km pace. It was very exciting though to be so close to the leaders for so long (for about 500m), especially with Catherina McKiernan running too. The first km split was 3:46min/km - way too fast! Just before the 1km mark I was on my own with about 14 people ahead of me in different groups.

I passed out a few people in the second km despite slowing down unintentionally. Crossing over the bridge to the island Mweenish got a little bit tough because of the headwind. Second km in 4:02min/km, still a bit too fast for me.

In the third km I slowed again, to 4:18min/km and here I was passed by the second local TríSpórt runner, Brian. I kept him and the second lady, Niamh in my sights all the way over the small hills to the 5km turnaround - the fourth and fifth splits in 4:24 and 4:29. I picked up a small bottle of water at the turnaround water station.

I saw Brian and Niamh running close together and figured it might be worth my while catching up and using them to shelter from the wind. I decided to take the initiative and go up front and see if they stayed with me but Brian was happy to just have me run beside him. It stayed like this over the next few kms - 6th, 7th & 8th splits in 4:07, 4:13, 4:18. I don't think Niamh stayed right with us for very long but must have been very close.

From the 7th km onwards I felt very good and I knew I was going to get a good finishing time. Brian and I stayed side by side all the way and every time I felt like pushing on he stayed right with me, just like a GAA player marking his man! The 9th km was slower because of a hill and for a second I thought we would catch the next guy up when he stopped to walk, but never happened.

Coming down to the village again I knew I had a kick in me and I kept putting it off until I felt Brian couldn't keep up. Turning the corner into the last 200m I kept upping the pace and he kept coming at me with the spectators cheering us both on for the sprint finish (mostly him ;)). With about 20m to go, elbow to elbow, he just got ahead of me and finally beat me by 1 second :pac:

10km in 42:09, 17th place.

Garmin Link

It was such a satisfying race, despite being outrun in the final sprint and not getting the time I was hoping for. I guess it was because I pushed myself to the very limit and left nothing on the course (except for a mouthful of vomit after the line!) The PB was big - 3 minutes off my unofficial time and 4 minutes off the official one from the Great Ireland Run in April.

The organisation was excellent. The course was well-laid out, marked and marshalled, and the Carna locals out supporting too. Lapsed boardsie MarySamsonite provided me with a clean tshirt after I puked on my race tshirt meaning I could hang around the hotel a while longer!

PS A highlight of the race was seeing Catherina McKiernan running towards me just before the turnaround. She has a very impressive style, especially in the power in her arms. I finished 12 places behind her eek.png

I have a real appetite for shorter races now and can't wait to do more after DCM. I like to plan ahead after marathons so that I'm not in a limbo deciding what direction to take. So I am definitely going to focus on doing more races between 5km and Half Marathon, but the question is how. Really enjoying running :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great to have seen you there, Micilín Muc, glad you enjoyed the day! Great time and some serious PB shaving there, I just hope it doesn't result in mass puking at the finish line from now so that people can claim a second t-shirt!
    By the way, Tom O'Dowd was the lead TríSpórt man, Brian the second TríSpórter!

Sunday

Rest.

Monday

Cycling: 12km home from work.

Running: 27km Long Run. This was supposed for Sunday, but I had a day in hand and wanted to spend Sunday doing other things.

I left the house after 7pm (after my cycle home from work) and ran down to the Phoenix Park and followed the DCM route from the Islandbridge Gate all the way to Rathgar and home again. It rained the whole 27km :mad:

I went at MP for 2kms, just to see how I could handle the hill coming up from Islandbridge up to Sarsfield Road. It slowed me down by about 10 seconds for that kilometre, I may need to bank a few seconds in the previous downhill kilometre.

There is a long drag from Rialto up to the Halfway House on Walkinstown Avenue and it is definitely noticeable. I imagine this is a section of the route that I will need to concentrate on maintaining the pace - it is very easy to lose concentration and lose seconds that add up.

The rest of the run last night was painful. My feet and joints were aching, no doubt because I was so cold from the constant rain. Still, this could happen on the day!

I'm only counting official PBs in future, it will make me do more races! I've also added a VDOT for each PB, so I know which one to target next!

Distance|Current PB|Goal PB
    5km|00:19:54 (23.09.12)|00:19:00
    5 miles|00:36:20 (15.09.12)|00:33:00
    10km|00:45:05 (15.09.12)|00:41:20
    10 miles|01:12:02 (15.09.12)|01:09:30
    Half Marathon|01:34:55 (15.09.12)|01:32:30
    Marathon|03:56:09 (01.04.12)|03:20:00

Distance|Current PB|Current VDOT|Goal PB
    5km|00:19:54 (23.09.12)|50|00:19:36
    5 miles|00:36:20 (15.09.12)||00:33:00
    10km|00:42:09 (13.10.12)|49|00:41:20
    10 miles|01:12:02 (15.09.12)||01:09:30
    Half Marathon|01:34:55 (15.09.12)|48|01:33:12
    Marathon|03:56:09 (01.04.12)|38|03:20:00

Great race report. Good stuff. I hear you on everything aching.

I feel a flu coming on :mad:. 2.5 hours in the rain last night did not help. Taking Benylin already. It has been 11 months since I last had so much as a cold - why now?!!!

Where to start with this report?! I had such a blast yesterday!

It started on the drive back from Spiddal to Carna - the Twelve Bens and the Maamturks looked amazing on Saturday so I was in a great mood already arriving at the Carna Bay Hotel. Also it was perfect running conditions. The organising club were local Connemara triathlon club, TríSpórt who had a weekend-long festival of running, including a Chi running workshop with Catherina McKiernan. A large finishing-archway greeted us with Bruce Springsteen blaring :cool: 150 were taking part and the registration was easy-peasy with a nice little goodie bag.

Warmup
    I did a makey-uppy warmup about 15 minutes beforehand - a few strides building up to around race pace. Immediately I felt like I hadn't the bounce in my stride I had a few weeks ago around the time of the Rathfarnham 5km. After having read a few articles on the bus to Galway on Friday about mental strength in races, I knew not to let this bother me.

Just before the Race Director's (boardsie Ronanmac) instructions, I made my way back to the start line and hung around very close to the front. At home I had looked at last year's results and spoke to Rónán about his expectations for winning time so I judged that I should be close to the front and lined up in around the third line.

The Race
    Once the gun went everyone around me went out about the same pace as the expected leaders, meaning I went out too fast too :rolleyes: Not the first time me or anybody has made or will make that mistake! The first 250m were at 3:15min/km pace. It was very exciting though to be so close to the leaders for so long (for about 500m), especially with Catherina McKiernan running too. The first km split was 3:46min/km - way too fast! Just before the 1km mark I was on my own with about 14 people ahead of me in different groups.

I passed out a few people in the second km despite slowing down unintentionally. Crossing over the bridge to the island Mweenish got a little bit tough because of the headwind. Second km in 4:02min/km, still a bit too fast for me.

In the third km I slowed again, to 4:18min/km and here I was passed by the second local TríSpórt runner, Brian. I kept him and the second lady, Niamh in my sights all the way over the small hills to the 5km turnaround - the fourth and fifth splits in 4:24 and 4:29. I picked up a small bottle of water at the turnaround water station.

I saw Brian and Niamh running close together and figured it might be worth my while catching up and using them to shelter from the wind. I decided to take the initiative and go up front and see if they stayed with me but Brian was happy to just have me run beside him. It stayed like this over the next few kms - 6th, 7th & 8th splits in 4:07, 4:13, 4:18. I don't think Niamh stayed right with us for very long but must have been very close.

From the 7th km onwards I felt very good and I knew I was going to get a good finishing time. Brian and I stayed side by side all the way and every time I felt like pushing on he stayed right with me, just like a GAA player marking his man! The 9th km was slower because of a hill and for a second I thought we would catch the next guy up when he stopped to walk, but never happened.

Coming down to the village again I knew I had a kick in me and I kept putting it off until I felt Brian couldn't keep up. Turning the corner into the last 200m I kept upping the pace and he kept coming at me with the spectators cheering us both on for the sprint finish (mostly him ;)). With about 20m to go, elbow to elbow, he just got ahead of me and finally beat me by 1 second :pac:

10km in 42:09, 17th place.

Garmin Link

It was such a satisfying race, despite being outrun in the final sprint and not getting the time I was hoping for. I guess it was because I pushed myself to the very limit and left nothing on the course (except for a mouthful of vomit after the line!) The PB was big - 3 minutes off my unofficial time and 4 minutes off the official one from the Great Ireland Run in April.

The organisation was excellent. The course was well-laid out, marked and marshalled, and the Carna locals out supporting too. Lapsed boardsie MarySamsonite provided me with a clean tshirt after I puked on my race tshirt meaning I could hang around the hotel a while longer!

PS A highlight of the race was seeing Catherina McKiernan running towards me just before the turnaround. She has a very impressive style, especially in the power in her arms. I finished 12 places behind her eek.png

I have a real appetite for shorter races now and can't wait to do more after DCM. I like to plan ahead after marathons so that I'm not in a limbo deciding what direction to take. So I am definitely going to focus on doing more races between 5km and Half Marathon, but the question is how. Really enjoying running :D

Great racing, well done on the PB. Nice report too.

You're right about the shorter stuff, I'm currently researching the best sub 40 10k training plan for after the marathon.

Watch that cold\flu, you've the hard work done, so don't force anything.

Great racing, well done on the PB. Nice report too.

You're right about the shorter stuff, I'm currently researching the best sub 40 10k training plan for after the marathon.

Watch that cold\flu, you've the hard work done, so don't force anything.

Have you bought Daniels Running Formula yet? There's a Kindle edition available. I reckon you could go sub-40 on the prescribed Blue Advanced Plan. 16 weeks with weekly mileage of 45 to 52 miles.

"Don't force anything" - that's exactly the kind of thing I would stupidly do until somebody points it out to me. A long night's sleep should help me keep the flu at bay. An easy 11km scheduled for the morning - I'll decide on that when I wake up.

actually, I was talking to my Physio, Mark Kenneally (Irish Olympic Marathon runner) yesterday about that book.

He reckons that the sort of milage and sessions that the book calls for, he could never do, without causing injury or illness to himself!!
    He was specifically referring to the amount of MP runs and the extent of MP runs that the book calls for.

Interesting perspective from an elite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Have been reading your log for the last few months (well since we met on an LSR a while back). The progress that you have made is amazing. Super PBs (the half, 5k, 10k) and training for DCM. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Dont be in the logs much so ill wish you good luck for dcm now, if you see me during the race it means your ****ed :P

actually, I was talking to my Physio, Mark Kenneally (Irish Olympic Marathon runner) yesterday about that book.

He reckons that the sort of milage and sessions that the book calls for, he could never do, without causing injury or illness to himself!!
    He was specifically referring to the amount of MP runs and the extent of MP runs that the book calls for.

Interesting perspective from an elite!

That's interesting. It musn't be the mileage that he can't do - Daniels don't prescribe a certain mileage, but leave it up to the runner to choose a peak mileage and then prescribe a relative percentage of that mileage for each week. There are definitely a lot of MP runs alright, a lot more than P&D.

Did you get any insight into his own training programme?
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Have been reading your log for the last few months (well since we met on an LSR a while back). The progress that you have made is amazing. Super PBs (the half, 5k, 10k) and training for DCM. :)

Thanks! I've been keeping an eye on your log recently too - I really like your attitude towards training and goals, especially since you have a lot less time on your hands than I do!
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Dont be in the logs much so ill wish you good luck for dcm now, if you see me during the race it means your ****ed :P

Cheers man! Enjoy your pacing duties - another weekend, another marathon!

Tuesday

Running: A day of rest

Cycling: 24km to and from work.

Wednesday

Running: 11km with strides was scheduled but I didn't feel well enough. Got to bed early.

Thursday

I worked from home today so I could get better - luckily my bosses were happy enough with that. I went to the chemist again after work to get a second opinion. I was told I don't have a flu, or a cold, but am just really stuffed up. She recommended Vicks, manuka honey and hot whiskey.

I had been off the alcohol since the start of September until the marathon, but I have to break that now with the whiskey ;) I got some Jack Daniels in the off-licence - they didn't have any Pfitzinger & Douglas left (where's the cr^ppy joke smiley when you need it!)

Going for an easy 6km now.

;) I got some Jack Daniels in the off-licence - they didn't have any Pfitzinger & Douglas left (where's the cr^ppy joke smiley when you need it!)

Ba dum tish............

dont give up the day job :-)

Ba dum tish............

dont give up the day job :-)

My humour is a running joke at this stage.

• Advertisement

Did you get any insight into his own training programme?

at his peak weeks, he's doing 140m per week :eek:, mostly double sessions.
    His training plans are structured to him specifically, by the Elite Team coaches.

With this in mind, today I registered for the Art O'Neill Ultra :rolleyes:

With this in mind, today I registered for the Art O'Neill Ultra :rolleyes:

Haha!
    I'm considering a 42 mile race in London the same day...think I'll leave it 'til the last available moment though!!
    How the hell are we meant to get the 5km times down at all!!

At least you've got a bit of sense.

Registering for races during marathon tapering is similar to food shopping when you're hungry!

Thursday

Running: 6km Recovery around Bushy Park. Nice and easy, didn't push the pace at all.

Friday

Rest

Saturday

Running: 13km with 3 x 1600m at 5km Race Pace (VO2 Max). I hit just under the target on each rep. I went from An Spidéal to Na Forbacha and back. Spent the rest of the day with Vicks VapoRub.

Sunday

Running: 10km Recovery with 8 x 100m strides. I took the bog road up to Bóthar Trasna to An Criarach. As it was such a clear day, I could see the Twelve Pins, the Maamturks and the Hell of the West in the distance :cool:

Monday

Running: 21km home from work - Dún Laoghaire to Rathfarnham via Ballinteer and a few loops of Bushy Park.

A new cause for concern is my ankle. I felt it sore last week, on the outside of my left foot just below the bone. I didn't knock it or twist or sprain it, but it feels bruised :confused: It's a tiny bit sore for the first few kms but goes away. Always sore to the touch. At least my congestion is more or less gone :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement