Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Ha, and I did about 3 laps too! The range of furniture I was looking for has now been discontinued, leaving us with a room of mismatched furniture. Arghh.

Tuesday
    Cycling: 25.2km commuting.

Wednesday
    Running: 14km General Aerobic w/10 x 100m strides. Still a bit stiff from the LSR on Monday. Also it's been a long time since I've done strides, nice to have a bit variation in the training.

Cycling: 34.3km commuting

Thursday AM
    Running: 7.5km recovery run commute. Started off with a pain in my left knee that went away after a few kms. Got soaked running through a heavy shower. Good fun.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|59.65|21.46
    MTD|655.36|169.17
    YTD|5458.48|924.88

Friday
    Rest. Supposed to run 13km but got delayed at work before leaving for Dublin.

Saturday
    Running: 13km General Aerobic. Ran from Rathfarnham up to Marlay Park and on to Dundrum. Picked up a nice dairy-free chocolate energy bar in one of the health food shops. They're expensive but I think I'll be consuming more of these during long runs over the next few months of marathon training.

Sunday
    Running: 6km recovery. Was in Belfast visiting relations, so just a 6km loop around North Belfast. The flegs are now twice the size as they were before!

Monday
    Running: 18km medium-long run. Back in Dublin again so I did my usual jaunt up to Fairy Castle and back again. Got some PRs on the downhill sections.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|59.65|58.46
    MTD|655.36|206.17
    YTD|5458.48|961.88

Tuesday
    Rest

Wednesday
    Running: 16km run commute with final 8km at LT pace. I really enjoy these runs - nothing like a progression run for confidence. On another note, it's getting dark noticeably earlier now. Time to get the headtorch batteries charged.

Cycling: 31.3km commuting

Thursday
    Running: 6km recoery run. Good to be back on the racecourse again, dodging empty bottles of Buckfast!

Cycling: 30.3km commuting.

Friday
    Running: 18km medium-long run commute. Another progression run by heart rate. Finished strongly.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|61.6|40
    MTD|61.6|246.17
    YTD|5520.08|1001.88

Heading to Limerick for the weekend for a bit of downtime. I feel like TbL with all this travelling, albeit domestic travel!

This will be my first week in a long time where I ran more kms than I cycled! I do have a 120km-cycle coming up in 2 weeks. Might do a long evening spin next week. The priority is my long run on Monday - 29km :)

Saturday

Rest. Went to a health shop to pick up supplements the dietitian has recommended:

* A general wellness tablet
    * Omega 3 fish oil
    * Enzyme tablet to take with lunch and dinner, to help digestion.
    * Acidophilus tablet to take with dinner. I think this is for the slight yeast buildup in my system.
    * L-glutamine powder to take in a drink just after a long run and just before bed each night. This is an amino acid and contributes to protein synthesis, helping to repair muscles. I think it also helps to 'repair' my digestive system.

I also thought I must log that I ate a salad for lunch on Saturday. A feckin salad! It took me the guts of 45 minutes to finish. I hate salad.

Sunday
    Running: 11km General Aerobic with 8 x 100m strides in Limerick. My hotel was at the start of the Lough Derg Way, the initial part along a canal, the Shannon and then into the grounds of UL. Lovely route, very very peaceful. Also, Limerick walking and running folk are very friendly!

Picked up a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline in Amphibian King Oranmore on the way home to Galway.

Monday
    Cycling: 31.6km commuting. Stashed a bottle of water and an energy bar for my long run home in the evening.

Running: 29km Long Run commute. Left the office at 4, having watched the rain showers batter my office window all morning. Ran 13km before ditching my bag in my OH's car and picking up a rice cake and a bottle of hot water that was left in the car all day :(

Headed out to Barna Golf Course (TbL was somewhere nearby at the same time) and then further on to Na Poilíní and up to Cnoc ar Easair where I had left my water and bar earlier in the day. Just as I had arrived and went down on my hunkers, the sky opened up. Luckily I had shelter from the wall and became very smug with where I had planted my stash :cool:

From here it was another 6km on the Moycullen-Spiddal road, and I hit 29km just about a mile from home. I walked the rest of the way, but my hamstrings quickly started seizing up, probably from all the downhill in the previous 4km. It was my longest run since DCM last October so I knew it would hurt. Time to start stretching properly again.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|61.6|80
    MTD|61.6|118.03
    YTD|5520.08|1042.91

A successful week's training. The pace is improving all the time too. Onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Congrats on the salad :D
    it'll stand to ya!
    I used to hate them too but if you can put some bits of your favourite meat or fish or whatever takes your fancy into it and find a dressing that you like it helps a lot to spice it up. An uninspiring tasteless salad is a chore to endure...
    You've done it once now so you know you can do it again:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ososlo wrote: »
    Congrats on the salad :D
    it'll stand to ya!
    I used to hate them too but if you can put some bits of your favourite meat or fish or whatever takes your fancy into it and find a dressing that you like it helps a lot to spice it up. An uninspiring tasteless salad is a chore to endure...
    You've done it once now so you know you can do it again:D

He just mixes all the stuff he got from the health shop into it.
    Hhhhhhhmmmmm..........glutamine

He just mixes all the stuff he got from the health shop into it.
    Hhhhhhhmmmmm..........glutamine

Chocolate salad anyone? If only it was possible!

I had a second trip to the health food shop on Sunday to get some dairy-free energy snacks. Every single item I bought was chocolaty (high cocoa mass, so less dairy ;))

I'm on this diet for 3 months, meaning I'm looking forward to a fine juicy steak with a pint of milk and nice bread straight the minute I cross the DCM finish line.

Tuesday
    Rest. Actually because it was a rest day, I had to take two buses to and from work. Because of the crappy service, I ended up chasing the bus into town from my office for 2km before giving up and getting a taxi into the bus station. So that's probably 2km @ 3km race pace with HR @ max thanks to the stress of it all!

Wednesday
    Running: 19km Medium-Long Run. Got up at 5am, had a quick granola + yogurt breakfast and was on my way by 5.40. Pace was considerably faster today, and finished the run feeling like I had just done a recovery run :D

Cycling: 34km spin. Was supposed to do the Seanadh Phéistín 90km loop from the office with a colleague. Stopped off in the bike shop for a quick tune-up I was promised following the recent upgrades and repairs. Apparently my rear derailleur hanger was bent (most likely by a careless bike user at the office bike rack), so he fixed that.

Out to Uachtar Ard for a rest and when we got going again, I changed into an easier gear and the derailleur somehow got stuck in the spokes and completely mangled and broke the derailleur hanger. Game over. My colleague had to get a lift back to the city and drive back out to Uachtar Ard to pick me and the bikes up and bring me home. Annoyed that I didn't have the tools or the skills to remove the derailleur to ride single speed the rest of the way home.

Going to Dublin at the weekend so will leave the bike in to the Cycle Superstore to get fixed.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|34|19
    MTD|95.6|137.03
    YTD|5554.08|1061.91

Thursday
    Running: 11km General Aerobic with 6 x 100m strides

Ahh. Trails! Headed down to Merlin Woods after work and then through town and out to Salthill. Pace was very fast - 5:08min/km compared to 5:31min/km for the same session on Sunday. It's amazing the difference in my pace since I started with my new regime.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|34|30
    MTD|95.6|148.03
    YTD|5554.08|1072.91

16km with 10 @LT pace in the morning :-)

• Advertisement

Friday
    Running: 16km with 10km @ LT pace. Got up at 5 to run from home, had breakfast and went back to bed. Then got up at a normal time and got a lift to 16km from work and ran all the way from there.

Good pace again, although I could have pushed it a bit more - my HR wasn't at the upper limit of the range for very long. Once I stopped I realised how sore my right shin is. Walking with a limp since then. Probably shin splints, although it is in one shin only :confused: I better ice it at the weekend.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|34|46
    MTD|95.6|164.03
    YTD|5554.08|1088.91

Saturday
    Rest

Sunday
    Running: 8km recovery around Bushy Park. Nice and cool, good to be back running in one of my old haunts.

Monday
    Cycling: 28km commuting on freshly fixed bike. Then got a puncture 4km from the office. Typical!

Abandoned 32km long run home due to stomach issues thanks to a sneaky dairy ice cream on Sunday. Grr.

Tuesday
    Running: 32km long run commute. Crappy stressful day at work. Glad to leave the office at 3.30 to do this one.

Dropped the running bag off at the wife's car at 10km, collected water and snack, then out the coast road home, picking up another stashed bottle of water at 18km and then another just at Spiddal. Was only 28km through the run at this stage - it was hard to head off again. Went as far as Trá Sailín and then back for the final stretch.

The last few kms weren't half as bad as last week's 29km. Heart rate was higher from stress so pace wasn't as good as recent days.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|61|86
    MTD|122.6|206.03
    YTD|5581.08|1128.91

Not bad for a peak week of training (54 miles), even though I took an extra rest day from running. Bit of a stepback week over the next 7 days.

Wednesday
    Cycling: 30.3km commuting. New tyres - Continental Gatorskins - same as before. Don't know how the last ones only got 6000km before getting destroyed. Should be a lot more I think.

Thursday
    Running: 10km recovery after work. Easy peasy.

Cycling: 62km commuting.

Friday
    Running: 23km Medium-Long Run commute home. Progression again - most of the last few kms were sub-8 minute miles. Don't know how on-target I am for a 3:0x marathon in 10 weeks' time. But i feel like I'm in the shape of my life right now. Plan B is a PB (see what I did there?!)

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|92.3|33
    MTD|214.9|239.03
    YTD|5795.98|1161.91

Saturday
    Cycling: 144.42km over two spins. After 3.5 hours' sleep (was out until 1.30am :eek:), I got up at 5am to cycle 17km into town to get a lift down to Ennis. My company had a charity cycle around the Burren with some of the crew from the Dublin office.

I was in the fastest wave that left first, but we went wrong at the start thanks to the lead car which added about 7km on to our journey. Some hairy moments with motorists trying to overtake at the least suitable moments. The weather was perfect with zero wind and blue skies all day. Finished in about 4hrs 40min of cycling.

Sunday
    Rest. Was supposed to do a 10km recovery run, but I figured yesterday's spin was a good enough substitute, plus I needed to let my right shin heal. I will need to go to the physio once pay day comes!

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|236.72|33
    MTD|359.32|239.03
    YTD|5940.4|1161.91

Monday
    Running: 10km recovery with 6 x 100m strides. Nothing to report.

Cycling: 57.61km commuting. Took the coast road home to take advantage of the strong easterly wind. Everything was at warp speed!

Tuesday
    Running: 26km long run with 19km @ MP HR. Straight run home from work with my backpack as light as possible (just phone, wallet, keys and water).

I ran this by HR rather than by intended pace. Started off well with some kms just slightly slower than my intended MP for October. Faded towards the last 6km. I lost concentration I think and was slightly dehydrated. Still, it was only my first long run @ MP and I think I'm not far off MP for 9 weeks out + all the crosstraining I'm doing.

A growing cause for concern is my shin. I can't work out what it is, but it may be the tendon connecting the foot and the shin. Prodding it with my finger is painful. Heaven know what kind of pain the physio can find :mad:

Cycling: 31.74 commuting.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|326.07|69
    MTD|448.67|275.03
    YTD|6029.75|1197.91

No running since last Tuesday. Scheduled day off on Wednesday, Thursday was too stormy and by Friday I had developed a head cold - took the weekend off to rest. Also my shin never got better - I've been taking Advil Cold & Sinus which contains an NSAID, so I can't actually tell how well the shin is. Regardless I've got a physio appointment tomorrow evening - she'll find the pain alright. I'm not overly worried about it - I think I was wise taking the week off.

Cycling: 93.68km commuting.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|93.68|0
    MTD|574.84|273.05
    YTD|6063.63|1197.91

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Get well soon..

Loads of time left for DCM, so taking a while off now is better than loosing a couple of weeks out injured :)

Thanks Vagga.

Just back from physio. I have shin splints due to - wait for it - wait for it - a tight calf. Well it's good news in the sense that I'm not looking at a totally new injury. Will have to restart the calf raises and stretches and continue with them, even when the problem is gone.

She did dry needling on the calf and is happy to let me do an 8km run tomorrow, a 16km on Friday and a longer one again on Sunday if there's no pain. 'Speedwork' is to be kept on hold for another two weeks until I see her next.

Head cold more or less gone too, so I'm happy I held back on the training before making the cold or injury worse :)

Long time no update. No running in over two weeks due to a few things.

My focus at the moment is about having a job in December. My contract runs out soon (I'm covering for someone else's maternity leave) and we're overstaffed. My backup plan of working freelance is scuppered thanks to an inept state body who have recently decided to revoke the qualification given to anyone who did their exam before 2013, without any warning or reason, meaning I will have to focus on studying for that exam again in October, the weekend of the marathon.

My motivation and happiness in general has been very low as a result and it's had an effect on my running. I've had plenty of opportunities to go for a run, but every day for two weeks I've chosen to slip on my cycling shoes instead of my running shoes. I've cycled nearly 1000km in the last four weeks and I'm really enjoying it. Also, the cycle-commute lifestyle is a little bit cheaper than the bike-run-commute lifestyle due to my distance from the office.

I'll update the log again once I have a few runs under my belt anyway.

So I got out for a run on Tuesday evening. Exactly three weeks after my last session with the physio - she had allowed me to start back running again the day after, but between one thing and another I never got out for a run.

10km up to the top of my local bog road and back. After 4km I could feel the shin beginning to hurt again and by the end of the run I knew that the issue was by no means going to get better any time soon. Dry needling and three weeks rest should have allowed it to heal.

I'm afraid I'm now going to drop my plan to run DCM14. I wanted to get a PB and that's quite unlikely as I simply don't have the mileage in my legs. The injury is unfortunate but I'm quite hopeful to get back into good training again soon. This 'comeback' has already taken nearly 2 years, I'm not ready to pack it in yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'm afraid I'm now going to drop my plan to run DCM14. I wanted to get a PB and that's quite unlikely as I simply don't have the mileage in my legs. The injury is unfortunate but I'm quite hopeful to get back into good training again soon. This 'comeback' has already taken nearly 2 years, I'm not ready to pack it in yet!

So from myself, you and Statss that were going for 3:05, exactly none of us will get it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Sorry to hear that your shin is still giving you grief! Had you entered DCM? You should consider doing some more adventure races ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Fancy jogging around with me again to a 4hr run, just like last year??

Sorry to hear that your running is scuppered

Hope the work thing sorts itself out :(

Sorry to hear that your shin is still giving you grief! Had you entered DCM? You should consider doing some more adventure races ;)

No, I was waiting for pay day before I would register! I am definitely considering more adventure races. That Carlingford Challenge was my racing highlight of 2013 and 2014! I'm actually thinking of going swimming over the next few months to give me something else to work on, so I may do a few triathlons next year.
    belcarra wrote: »
    Fancy jogging around with me again to a 4hr run, just like last year??

I still have your gloves.

Physio has only allowed me to run 3-5km on grass three times a week until November, so unfortunately I won't be able for a full marathon :mad: First time not lining up in four years.

The physio wants me to do lots of foam rolling, stretching and strengthening on the calves. I'm going to have to do yoga again too.

Sorry to say it but this log is going to be mostly about cycling for the next few months. I'm thinking of doing a 205km charity cycle in a few weeks in Galway, and maybe hit the 300km distance by the end of the year. I'm on track to do 10,000km for the year, so I would like to keep the weekly distance up and get out for a long spin at the weekends.

IM 70.3 Dublin in August next year maybe....

IM 70.3 Dublin in August next year maybe....

It's on the radar! There's talk of a Challenge 70.3 in Galway next year too. They're bloody expensive though!

Sorry to say it but this log is going to be mostly about cycling for the next few months.

*Unfollow*

:D

I'd forgotten about those gloves! Wonder will i ever see them again!!:pac:

Physio told me on Tuesday:
    * no hills
    * no speedwork
    * no running over 5km
    * run on grass only
    * stretching every 1km

What do I do on Thursday?
    Accept a place on my tri club's team entering the Connemara Rough Diamond, involving:
    * hills
    * racing
    * 10km running distance
    * running on trails, tarmac and sand
    * assault course
    * 30km of cycling

Result: 13th out of 120 :D

I waited all year so I could race in September and October and I got injured before I got to do any of the races. So when I got asked to join the team, my only thought was "feck it, I'm injured anyway, one race isn't going to make it a whole lot worse if it's only a once-off".

Race report:
    In a way I had nothing to lose - my shin splints recovery would be delayed by a week or two - but I had no reason to be conservative. Also, being part of a team meant I didn't want to finish last out of the four of us.

1st stage: 4.5km hilly trail run in the National Park. Started a few rows back. Gradually started passing people out. The turn around point (big rock) was only halfway up Diamond Hill so I powered up to there at max effort, knowing that the following downhill would be a different kind of max effort. I think I finished the first leg in 9th place.

2nd stage: 8km flat cycle. Very quick transition and I blasted up the hill out of Letterfrack. I was only a few hundred metres behind my team's leader so I caught up with him for a chat. He went ahead to let me draft but I had put so much effort into the run and transition that I was already at max HR. Didn't see him for the rest of the race. Got passed by a few people here.

3rd Stage: Assault course. Good fun. Didn't like being passed by a "competitor" who made no effort to do the assault course, just ran around some of the obstacles.

4th Stage: 13km cycle. Very lonely, all on my own and couldn't even see the next competitor. Eventually two lads caught up and let me draft behind them.

5th Stage: 4km beach run. Running over dunes and through streams. Awful headwind on the way back blowing sand into my eyes. Lost a spot or two here.

6th Stage: 8.5km cycle back to the finish. Overtook a few people, but they may have been on the longer "expert" version of the race.

Our team came in 2nd place - we accumulated 15 minutes more than they did. I was our second team-mate home. I think their first three actually came in 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Very happy with my 13th place. All the cycling paid off!

• Advertisement

Absolute Nutter :)

Took last week off running. Will do the same this week.

Took it a bit easier on the cycling Monday to Friday, went for a long spin on Saturday after a hard week at work.

Did 260km from Spiddal to Rathfarnham via the Sally Gap. Just over 9 hours of cycling. Saw lots of Ireland I had never seen before.

Spoke to a few cyclists on the way in Co. Laois, asking me "you're not from round here, are you?" Saw a bride walking out her front door in the middle of nowhere around here too. And one of those old gypsy caravans pulled by two horses and a tiny little dog running after it. The highlight was the Curragh in Kildare, it's like one big Phoenix Park! I also went by the Tough Mudder race in Punchestown and helped a few lost finishers with their bearings. The sun was setting on the valley west of the Sally Gap when I reached the top. Not a drop of rain all day long and a nice tailwind all the way! Perfect!

The 300km seems a lot easier now. Better not leave it too late or else I'll be cycling from before dawn to after sunset.

http://www.strava.com/activities/203246596

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Did 260km from Spiddal to Rathfarnham via the Sally Gap. Just over 9 hours of cycling. Saw lots of Ireland I had never seen before.

:eek: Wow

thats Epic stuff - seriously Good stuff.
    Deserves more than a few lines!!

thats Epic stuff - seriously Good stuff.
    Deserves more than a few lines!!

Cheers!

I know it's criminal to say this on a running forum, but cycling seems to suit me better as a sport. 12 hours after finishing and I felt 90% recovered. Last night and today I feel 100% recovered. No injuries either. It feels really weird.

I don't know a fraction about cycling of what I know about running. I also don't know many cyclists, bar a few people in the triathlon club, so I haven't got many people to compare myself to. I'll do the 300km distance by the end of the year, and will get back into running before making any decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I don't know a fraction about cycling of what I know about running.

you know that cycling is 90% easier than running :P

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    you know that cycling is 90% easier than running :P

I can't disagree with you, yet! I still haven't felt the sense of accomplishment that I've felt after doing a marathon, or after my run in the Twelve Bens last September.

An update with no update. I haven't run yet, too busy with other things for the next while. All shin pain has gone away, no other aches or pains at the moment. I'm doing plenty of cycling to keep the fitness up too. Looks like I'll be jobless for at least a few weeks from the end of November, will start running again then :)

Good luck to all doing the marathon in a few days, don't let the taper madness get to you ;)

An update with an update. The date has been set for my glorious return to the sport of running. I will run a slow and stiff 3km on Saturday 22nd November and continue with a couch to 5km style plan.

My imminent return will be marked by a change of job. From the start of December, my new job will be about 4 miles away from home, near some grass pitches and across the road from my local gym and pool. Really looking forward to getting back into it :D

Happy days!

An update with an update. The date has been set for my glorious return to the sport of running. I will run a slow and stiff 3km on Saturday 22nd November and continue with a couch to 5km style plan.

My imminent return will be marked by a change of job. From the start of December, my new job will be about 4 miles away from home, near some grass pitches and across the road from my local gym and pool. Really looking forward to getting back into it :D

Happy days!

Sounds like you can use the new job as a break from all the training you'll soon be doing...just nip away from an early morning cycle for a couple of hours in the office before a nice MLR at lunchtime followed by a few more hours in the office and a 90 minute session in the pool / bike ride in the evening.
    Deadly!:)

belcarra wrote: »
    Sounds like you can use the new job as a break from all the training you'll soon be doing...just nip away from an early morning cycle for a couple of hours in the office before a nice MLR at lunchtime followed by a few more hours in the office and a 90 minute session in the pool / bike ride in the evening.
    Deadly!:)

Haha, just don't tell my wife! It's likely I'll be going back to college to do another part-time Diploma or Masters, so I'm afraid my days of 16-hours of exercise a week might be coming to an end.

P.S. I still have your gloves :p

• Advertisement

Giz a shout the next time you are in Dublin and I'll meet you for a Parkrun or something.

Hello log!

Since my last update at the start of November, I have had a whole load of big changes which have taken over my life - two new jobs (one full-time in Galway, one part-time in Dublin), started another part-time Masters degree in Dublin, moved house again, elected club secretary in the tri club, but most importantly have started a new schedule for running and cycling etc!

I won't have much time for anything long-distance until the summer break in my part-time job and part-time masters. The new commute to the day job is only 5km direct, which is nice for running. I've worked out and tested a longer route for the mountain bike which involves about 4km on trail, 2km on open bog and 6km on back roads. It's good for getting the heart going, and could be a decent trail LSR route once there hasn't been days of downpours.

Some details for the log:

Cycling: I was well on track for cycling a total of 3,000km for November but unfortunately got struck down with some sort of bug during the one week I had between jobs. I can definitively say that I was at the peak of my fitness in November. I took December off and started back on the MTB last week on the new bog route. I lost a lot of fitness in that month and have developed a temporary wheeze following getting the heart rate above 75% of max.

Running: I have run twice in the past week. I ran 5km home from work on Tuesday, and then ran a mile on Thursday en route to the tri club AGM. Will try to run the 5km commute 3 times a week until the summer and I'll be happy with that. No races planned. Yet.

Monday
    Cycling: 5km commute.

Running: 5km run home. I have a tendency to start off too fast, with the result that each km is slower than the previous. It also doesn't help that I start and finish at the top of a hill.

Tuesday & Wednesday
    Too stormy for anything.

Thursday
    Cycling: Took advantage of the break in the weather to do a long route on the MTB with headlights after work. Did 30km in total with about 20km on backroads and 10km on rough bog roads and some open bog. Very low on the technical side of MTBing, but a good workout all the same.

Friday
    Running: 4.5km run commute.

Saturday & Sunday
    All work, no rest or play.

Monday
    Running: 4.5km run commute

Tuesday
    Running: 4.5km run commute. Cold, but at least my hands were warm thanks to Belcarra's gloves. (sorry man, but their fleecy goodness was too tempting).

Wednesday
    Cycling: 27km MTBing. More exploring. Have added more trails to my knowledge of the local network of bóithríní, including one only 400m from my house which cuts out a good bit of the main coast road. :) Perfectly suitable and challenging for MTBing and trail running.

Tuesday
    Running: 4.5km run commute. Cold, but at least my hands were warm thanks to Belcarra's gloves. (sorry man, but their fleecy goodness was too tempting).

When I saw your updated log I was about to ask for proof of life but I'm even more upset now that I see you have been wearing them!!:eek::eek::D

Thursday
    Running: 5.1km. Following on from my discovery on Wednesday of some bóithríní for trail running and MTBing, I found a booklet of maps at work which mark out a discontinued waymarked trail along the coast. After work I ran a mile down the road from my office and then took a left-hand turn at Furbo Beach and followed the trail for a mile and a half before joining up with the main coast road again just below the turn-off for my road. Mostly runnable, some climbing over boulders, a few small stony beaches (like Killiney) but it definitely satisfies my need of trail running!

Friday
    Running: 5.2km. Same idea as yesterday except this time I turned off only 500m from the office and ran all the way along the coast to Furbo Beach and then joined the main road.All runnable.

Saturday & Sunday
    Rest

Monday
    Cycling: 4.6km to work

Running: 4.6km home via the coast road.

Tuesday
    Cycling: 21.4km MTBing, on road and trails. Took delivery of a garden shed today, I finally have a place for all my bikes and mucky gear :D

Wednesday

Running: 7.8km with 6.1km on coastal trail and bóithríní. Unfortunately 1km of the coast trail was gone and involved a lot of climbing over rocks and boulders. There's an exit onto the main road from the start of this crap bit which I'll take in future. No harm in trying it anyway.

Can't believe it's taken me this long to find trails that were right under my nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Would you mind post a link or map of the trail? Never came across it...

I've only run two parts of it:

https://www.strava.com/segments/8848339

and

https://www.strava.com/segments/8848360

According to my map there should be a trail all the way to Spiddal, but at least 1km of it is not runnable, probably due to the sea surges in January 2014.

I'll add to this info over the next few weeks.

Thursday, 29th
    Running: 4.5km run home.

Friday, 30th to Sunday, 1st
    Rest

Monday, 2nd
    Cycling: 4.5km commuting

Tuesday, 3rd
    Running: 4.5km commuting

Wednesday, 4th
    Cycling: MTB commute home, exploring more bóithríní, all dead-ends :(

Thursday, 5th
    Cycling: 4.5km commute in and 6.3km MTB commute home. I did more exploring and found another potential route on trail and open bog which could reduce my commute on main road to just 500m. Did too much walking with the bike this time though.

Friday, 6th
    Cycling: 4.5km commute
    Running: 5km after work

Monday, 9th
    Day off work :)

Cycling: 33km. Picked up my road bike from the office and headed off on the local loop. Just under 33km. Nearly died on the hills.

Running: 5.7km trail run to Spiddal. I ran another section of the coastal path. There are a few rocky bits which slow down the pace, but it's still enjoyable.

Took my old commuting bike out of storage and did a bit of maintenance on it. You can never have too many bikes at your disposal.

Tuesday, 10th
    Cycling: 10km commuting

Wednesday, 11th
    Cycling: 4.5km commuting

Thursday, 12th
    Rest

Friday, 13th
    Cycling: 12km MTB commute home on bóithríní. Nice to see the area in daylight for a change!

Saturday and Sunday
    Rest

• Advertisement
Advertisement