Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Ross/Conor] Problem with page loading

Options
  • 21-11-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

For some reason i am having so much trouble with boards. 99% of the time when i click on a page, a blank page comes up with the message 'Internet explorer cannot display the web page'. I then refresh, usually i have to do this 3 or 4 times before the page will actually load. I do not have this problem with anything else on the internet. Its so infuriating because I love boards but it takes so long I usually just give up.Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Are you having this problem with any other sites? What part of the country are you in? I know that there's a problem with Eircom being out of action in parts of Cork at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'm having the same issues Zaph this evening, half the time boards just isn't loading. No issues with other pages, just boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muireann50

I'm in dublin and I use 02 mobile broadband but i never have this problem with any other site on the web, just boards. I should have been clearer, this isn't something thats just happening recently, its been happening on boards for months. I get the option to diagnose my internet connection each time and it always says theres no problem. weird!

This seems to be a general issue tonight judging by the other threads. I had a few problems myself, but nothing as bad as described by muireann. As for it being an ongoing issue, well all I can say is that we haven't been getting reports of problems before tonight, so I'm not sure what the problem might be. I'll mark this thread for Ross and Conor's attention, they might have more info for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Site was a bit slow last night, but no recorded timeouts or errors on our side from what I can tell.

If you've been having this problem for months, I haven't got an obvious explanation for you, it sounds like an issue with your connection. We have an O2 dongle knocking around somewhere, I'll try testing connectivity.

Don't suppose you've noticed more or less trouble as your location changes? Like, suburbs versus city centre, that sort of thing.

• Advertisement

I've received a PM that may provide some more useful information:
    i've noticed the same problem with my o2 bb, but it seems to be when the connection changes network from HSDPA to WCDMA. even though this is supposed to provide a better signal, it just doesn't load anything. it just flips back eventually but i haven't figured out a way to get around it. maybe the OP should look into the midband forum to see if there's some way to change the settings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If it helps, the slowdowns I've noted on my system* seems to be with loading b static.net and google type addresses(the ad servers?). The page is almost there and then dogs right down.

*unibody macbook pro/firefox or safari.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement