Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens after the MPharm?

Options
  • 21-11-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I need a bit of enlightenment here. So I was just thinking about the first MPharm batch that graduated there recently. Congrats btw!:) Does that replace the former MPSI qualification? Is there a difference between the two in terms of course content or is it the exact same only with a 'glossier' kinda name?

I was reading this thread here as well <http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055778966>. It talked about some licensure exam at the end of the pre-reg year with a 'limbo' kind of period between the end of the pre-reg yr and the actual registration as a licensed pharmacist. Is that still the case for the MPharm grads?

Thanks in advance for replies :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Previously:

4 year degree programme - graduate with Pharmacy degree and that is the end of colleges' involvement

12 month placement "pre-reg"- run by the PSI culminating in licence exam at start of november. Get results approx 2 weeks later then submit paperwork and wait around until placed on pharmacist register in mid-December when title MPSI (member of the pharmaceutical society of Ireland) and pharmacist can be used, and can work as a pharmacist.

This year:

4 year degree programme - graduate with Pharmacy degree

12 month placement "internship" - run by RCSI and approved by the PSI. More assignments etc to be done and submitted to RCSI. Final exam at start of November is now OSCE exam not law MCQ. Get results approx 2 weeks later - successful candidates now have MPharm. Submit paperwork etc and wait until placed on pharmacist register mid-December

Near future:

5 year Masters programme run by the different Schools of Pharmacies which involve placements in each of the 5 years and is run by each School, with final exam run by PSI and successful candidates being awarded MPHarm - not Pharmacy degree and then final year to make it a masters

So to answer your question the MPharms still have to wait til mid-December to become MPSIs

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Does anyone know if the grade you get in your degree - 1.1, 2.1 etc is that relevant to job prospects in pharmacy seen as you get the title of MPharm anyway?

Thats strange. I am only in second year of pharmacy in the UK and I am sitting my OSCE exam tomorrow. Had my dispensing exam two weeks ago. Is this equivalent to the OSCE exam in the pre reg year in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bleh!

Thats strange. I am only in second year of pharmacy in the UK and I am sitting my OSCE exam tomorrow. Had my dispensing exam two weeks ago. Is this equivalent to the OSCE exam in the pre reg year in Ireland?

I don't know if they're equivalent to each other but I do know that we'll be taking OSCEs (had one similar to an OSCE in first year) throughout the degree aside from the pre reg year OSCE.

Speaking of the UK, what is the RPSGB registration process like? Is it possible for Irish grads to do the pre reg year in the UK? Is it easy enough to gain RPSGB membership for PSI members? :confused: Just wondering cause it's always good to have that option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

bleh! wrote: »
    Speaking of the UK, what is the RPSGB registration process like? Is it possible for Irish grads to do the pre reg year in the UK? Is it easy enough to gain RPSGB membership for PSI members? :confused: Just wondering cause it's always good to have that option :)

No, you must do your pre-reg year in the same jurisdiction as you gained your undergraduate degree. Once you have successfully registered as a pharmacist in either jurisdiction, you may then apply to join the register in the other one. No extra exams or experience required (between the UK and ROI), but you need to pay the relevant fees of course.

OSCE exams that are part of UK undergrad courses have nothing to do with those in the new Irish internship program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 andy2082

does anyone here have/know anything about the pharmacy registration exam and the osce stations, i.e previous exam questions,study material,useful tips,handy references..etc plzzzzzzzzz im desperate for any info. im a third country applicant and my exam is this october and im soooooo nervous! thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 layaili

Hi andy2082,

I'm preparing for the equivalence exam too. Looking up for more relevant info & study materials. Will let you know any encounter.

Cheers

Advertisement