Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secondary school teaching

Options
  • 21-11-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm thinking of going into teaching music in secondary schools. still unsure whether i wanna spend my life back in a class room or not. is it tough being a teacher for secondary school and the studying to become one?
    finding it hard to know whether i wanna do it or not....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

You'd want to have a lot of patience to be a teacher.
    I can't personally give you any advice about teaching, but one thing that's always stuck in my mind is that a teacher I had called it a "real loner's job". You spend your whole day just teaching kids, you don't really get to interact with any adults, the breaks are short and you have to be preparing stuff.
    Just something to keep in mind if you're serious about teaching. Also all the homework you have to correct. The holidays are a nice aspect though :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

PLEASE check out the number of unemployed teachers before embarking on a planned career in it. It's not going to get better, only worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The other thing to be aware of is the enormous amount of tax/pension they take off you. My friends dad is a teacher and he lost 700 euro in it just this month, and he doesn't even qualify for the pension anyway.

Personally, I'd hate to be a teacher. Its so much work and so hard to get a permanent job in.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Also think of what you want to teach. Most schools want someone who is capable of teaching a number of subjects. Also, according to my own music teacher, there are fewer jobs in teaching music in schools than most other subjects. One reason being not every school has a music programme and most that do have very small classes.

Advertisement