Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want to stay in Ireland?

Options
  • 21-11-2010 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭

Reading a few of the posts in aaarrrrggghhh about this IMF business has got me thinking - do you want to live in Ireland forever or are you planning on leaving? I am too tired to think of a better way to put it so, er...discuss <_<

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I always intended to leave Ireland and see the world. Thats why I'm studying a language in college. That being said, I always knew in the back of my mind hat eventually, I would come home. I'm not sure if thats possible anymore or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Like Kev9100 said I want to get out and travel, maybe live somewhere else for a few years. I'd like to come back eventually, Ireland is and always will be my home.
    I'm currently considering going on erasmus for a year next year anyway.

If worst comes to worst and when I get out of college and there's still nothing here, then I won't have much choice but to emigrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Financial crisis or no financial crisis, I've always wanted to go travel and work abroad. Not sure where, but I know I want to get out there and explore other parts of the world.

I can see myself possibly living in Ireland for a few years at some point but I definitely don't want to spend my whole life here. Nothing against my country, I just wanna see other places and explore other ways of life.

That all said, the financial meltdown certainly provides extra incentive to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm a US citizen so thankfully I've a get out of jail free card there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

as soon as I finih college and get some cash, I'm moving to New Zealand to my aunt and cousins. I'll onloy stay if things get better, which it looks like they won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I used to be all for getting out of here at the first opportunity. Then I decided I'd kinda like to end up in Ireland after all my travelling/working worldwide. Then the economy imploded. Now I'm just going to follow wherever there's the slightest chance of getting a job in law or a related area and hope it works out. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Im going. Didnt plan on it tbh. Moved to galway, absolutely loved it, loved the atmosphere, far enough from home to know nobody but not too far for an impulse trip home to mammy. Thought id always be in galway, but yeah.. in my 2nd year in college and without a doubt will be going to the UK when im qualified. There is little prospects left in this place...hopefully one day we can return :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

No, no and no. Though it has nothing to do with the economy or anything I just like sunny weather and dislike Irish culture. I'll be hitting Oz or America after I graduate methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I never really thought about any real long-term future plan but I always imagined Ireland would be my main base of operations. I would be willing to work abroad but I never really considered the idea of spending huge portions of my life outside of Ireland.

I'd feel bad about getting out of the country as soon as possible given that taxes are getting me through college. However if I ever find myself very unhappy with my employment opportunities and general financial well-being I'd probably leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I'd love to stay here if I can but if things don't work out by the time I'm out of college I'll end up in England,Belgium or Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I've always planned on leaving Ireland after college. I'd like to live somewhere in Europe but I haven't decided yet. I'm not Irish anyway so there's not much to keep me here, other than the fact that my parents and boyfriend live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'd rather stay here, but if everything comes to the point the recession of the early 80s, I don't really have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Yes, I would like to stay in Ireland. However, the area I'm becoming interested in career wise has little or no work opportunities here only for the best of the best, financial crisis or no financial crisis. The masters I'm investigating is in London and there's no equivalent course in this country at all. I would like to travel to where I could gain experience for a while and then hopefully come back here when I'd be in a better position to get work. I'd like to spend some time in France but yeah ultimately I think I'd like to have my family, settle down, whatever here at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

I've always been waiting for the day I get to leave Ireland. I just think that what we experience here is such a tiny part of the awesomeness out there. It's all there to be explored so we may as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Getting out of here as soon as possible. I really don't like it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

I need not read only the headline please go enjoy your life be free you will enjoy it, if I was only young again. go man go what is stopping you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I would love to live somewhere else for a few years, Canada, America, Japan, France, Australia. The only obstacle in my way after I graduate is money. I still see myself coming back here after my travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I wanted to live my life out in my own country. I fought for years to repatriate my child from abroad so that they could enjoy an Irish education and be immersed in their own culture and country.

But traitors in government have made that impossible now.

As soon as my kid finishes their leaving cert, I'm outta here. Because I will not pay my taxes to support debts that Anglo-Irish banksters accrued to Roman Abramovich.

But I won't forget this and I won't forgive. And if I ever get a chance to take my pound of flesh out of anyone responsible, from Sean Fitzpatrick to Biffo to my local Fianna Fail councillor, be assured that I f ucking will.

They stole my right to live in my own damn country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'll probably go where the jobs are tbh, as long as they speak English.

I have no specific plans to go anywhere (another 2.5 years in college anyway), but I imagine if I ever got a good job offer on the condition of leaving I'd take it.
    No idea how likely/unlikely that is though to be fair, there's a lot of relevant work right here.

For all I know I could feel completely different in the future though, but I can't really see myself with any particularly strong ties to the country ever :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

My plan is to go to England after college, I want to go work for Rare and that's where they are so I'll be heading over if all goes well. If I don't get to work there, I suppose I'll go wherever I can get a job, don't want to go far, I'll stay in the UK probably, I'm from the north so I might go back there. Don't really want to go too far from my family

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I'd rather stay here even though the health system is a shambles, but I'm hopefully going to work abroad at some point. We'll be sent to Africa and Asia between 4th and 5th year anyway so we'll get some idea of it. Ideally I'd like to work for a few months here and there while being in Ireland for the majority of the time but suppose we can only wait and see what job prospects are like...

I'd like to stay in Ireland but I'll go wherever there are jobs.
    I'd be more inclined to go to England, because I don't adapt well to big changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I dont particularly want to leave, but if I can't get work (Well, in two and half years time), I'll have to.

That said, relevant work doesn't seem that hard to come by even now, so I should be safe enough.

That doesn't mean I dont want to travel and all that craic, I'm just happy hear for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I'd like to study abroad, unfortunately my family don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I would like to stay in Ireland, but now I am more or less forced to leave. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

The plan is to get out of here as soon as possible, financial crisis or no financial crisis! It's a nice country and all, and it's a pity it's in a state but it's only a tiny little fraction of the world and there's so much more I want to see and do. I think I'd want to come back though...someday. I like the culture, I like being Irish, I like living here....but I'm not the type to stay in the one place for too long to be honest.

It's a fair distance off yet, but as soon as I finish college and whatever unfinished business I have here, I'll be gone.

The whole economic mess thing doesn't make it any more tempting to stay, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I've always wanted to leave; told myself I wouldn't unless the economy kept getting worse and worse and yesterday nailed the coffin. I've got an assortment of online friends from all over the world - we're pretty tight so I could probably bunk with them for a few nights/weeks/months before I sorted my affairs out or I could just start off fresh in a new country with no links to anyone at all. I'd like that.

Really, it depends on how well the next few years go - whether I think I'll make it into the university course I want and if not, how easily I'll get it abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I wanna go to Florida 'cos I was watching A Place In The Sun: Home or USA and it's the best show ever so I always watch it and the houses are so epic. Like seriously. >_> It's WOAH! They're massive and <3 and it's so sunny and hot and WOAH! And like WOAH! <3 Yeah so.. FLORIDDDDDDDDA! And it just sounds so like:

"Oh you live in Florida?"
    "Yeah..."
    "wow.. You must be rich"

Muaaaaaaaaaha!<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

I definitely want to leave after college, but that's something I've always wanted to do. I mean, I love being Irish, and i love the country (not the government so much though :P) but I'd probably grow to hate the place if I lived here for my entire life.

Doesn't really matter at the moment anyway, still have 4 and a half years before making any big decisions like that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I am going abroad English teaching as soon as I've graduated, I'd drop out and go now but my parents have already spent so much money on my education that I couldn't just drop out now.

It's not that I'm in some mad rush to get out of Ireland, I'm just in a md rush to get so everywhere else. I love Ireland and not being there makes me love it even more; I drink more tea, eat more crisp sandwiches and listen to more Saw Doctors than I ever did at home.

I'm a bit wierd because I hate, with a burning passion, those people who are always going on about how much they hate Ireland, I mean sure it rains a lot and our government is a sham but how can you hate your own country. But I also hate those people who go on about emigrating as if it was the wort thing to happen ever. I think everyone should live abroad for at least one year. 'Sides it's the 21st century, Skype and Ryanair are your friends.

I do plan on living in Ireland eventually, I'd like to raise my family there (I just hope the health system improves) regardless of the government or economy but at the same time I could see myself retiring to the sun when I'm old and wrinkly. Who know's where I'll end up though? :rolleyes:

Advertisement