Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want to stay in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

illiop wrote: »

I'm a bit wierd because I hate, with a burning passion, those people who are always going on about how much they hate Ireland, I mean sure it rains a lot and our government is a sham but how can you hate your own country.

+1. I have a friend like this, and it really annoys me. All she does is complain about it. A lot of people don't realize how lucky we are to have been born into a country with food, water and such a beautiful countryside. Despite it all, Ireland really is a great place to live, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

+1. I have a friend like this, and it really annoys me. All she does is complain about it. A lot of people don't realize how lucky we are to have been born into a country with food, water and such a beautiful countryside. Despite it all, Ireland really is a great place to live, imo.

Is there any country where we'd have as much craic as here? I don't think there is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

johnn wrote: »
    If you don't like it, get the F out. Some of us are still proud to be Oirish.

Johnn, add something more substantial and less incendiary to this thread, or else don't post at all. Post deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

No, I plan on leaving as soon as. I want to go to Japan but I'd like to get a working holiday visa there first before applying for a full work/living one. Just to see if I'd really be happy living there and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

No, I plan on leaving as soon as. I want to go to Japan but I'd like to get a working holiday visa there first before applying for a full work/living one. Just to see if I'd really be happy living there and whatnot.

Japan? Now that will be a culture change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I wanted to live my life out in my own country. I fought for years to repatriate my child from abroad so that they could enjoy an Irish education and be immersed in their own culture and country.

But traitors in government have made that impossible now.

As soon as my kid finishes their leaving cert, I'm outta here. Because I will not pay my taxes to support debts that Anglo-Irish banksters accrued to Roman Abramovich.

But I won't forget this and I won't forgive. And if I ever get a chance to take my pound of flesh out of anyone responsible, from Sean Fitzpatrick to Biffo to my local Fianna Fail councillor, be assured that I f ucking will.

They stole my right to live in my own damn country.

Aye, make sure you take as much benefit from "your" state before you leave it, great patriotism.

I don't know if I'll hang around. I feel no loyalty to this state or this land or any other land. I'll go anywhere that I will be treated as equally as possible as someone else would be, and this country isn't such a place.
    I may leave before I finish college depending on a few factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

I plan on leaving as soon as Uni's up. The prospect of haing to pay back lots of my hard earned cash in high taxes for the next 10 years in order to bail out some institutions dosn't exactly fill me with joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

After the cuts announced today. I think I will be getting out of Ireland myself. Canada and Australia are live possibilities for me, since they are two very good countries that I have been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Dazza Mc kenna

No, But thankfully because of my career I'm looking at I hopefully will be moving to the Italy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stevephones

no i'm not going to leave ireland i'm going to stay here and weather the storm....
    i've landed a new job in emobile so any1 looking for info let me know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I really really want to stay. I'm going to work with horses and we have a bit of land here but it's looking less and less likely. My CG teacher told me to consider another job (though I think that's because she know nothing about Equine Physio) Have to study my Masters in England when I get that far so will be out of the country then but hope to return.

I'm too much of a home bird to leave. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I'll be stayin here, All the FF Clusterfuks in the world (And they do seam to be tryan hard to have as many as possible) Couldent force me from my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

Yes and no. I’ve always wanted to travel a bit and live abroad in say Australia or America for a couple of years and then come home to Ireland to settle down and stuff when I’m older. But if there’s not going to be any jobs here for me then I guess I’d be more inclined to stay living in the sun. It'd be a shame really though cos I like Ireland for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm not really sure... I would absolutely love to go and live in France for a while, to learn the language and stuff, and just because it seems like an amazing place. Or London, because I love it there :) I want to travel to basically everywhere though, so I'd take whatever. But there's some factors in my life that will make it really hard for me to live abroad, which is what makes me unsure about going...

Sh1t sux though, because pretty much all of my friends are emigrating when they finish college next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Probably not. I don't particularly dislike Ireland, but I feel I'd have a better quality and more interesting, productive life elsewhere, and have no real love for the place either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm not really sure... I would absolutely love to go and live in France for a while, to learn the language and stuff, and just because it seems like an amazing place. Or London, because I love it there :) I want to travel to basically everywhere though, so I'd take whatever.
    Aha same :) I'd love to go to France for a year abroad (Erasmus if I don't do something French-related) during college and I've wanted to move to London since I was like 8. Never thought I'd have to do it out of necessity though... And yeah, like the rest of you I don't hate it here, but I don't wanna stay here forever at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Stay for college...planning on many years of postgrad studies. So I'll probably never leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Yep, always been my intention to leave, just really don't like it here anymore, got some family in Oz, so i reckon i will travel after college and eventually move to Australia :D my life is sorted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I had my heart set on travelling across Russia, but I work with a Russian security guard and he said it certainly wouldn't be safe.

I want to travel Eastern Europe, Asia etc. Not mad to do Oz or NZ but if I did I wouldn't complain! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

seems like im gonna be out of here after my last year (this year). going to the UK hopefully to study more and actually get a job cause LORD knows i ain't getting a job here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭keithzer

Im out of here at the end of January heading to the uk i have a job lined up. Im out of work over a year now i cant get a job here i'd love to stay but i need to work hopefully ill get back in 3 to 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Would be sad to leave it forever, but I want to live in a decent country with some intelligent leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gabria

I've been living in the UK for a few years and for the past year just outside Birmingham. I don't think I've settled here yet, especially at the weekends I get homesick. Did the working holiday visa in Oz also and occasionally homesickness reared its ugly head
    If I was to be offered a job in Dublin with pay on a par with my current job I'd certainly consider moving back. I like to travel so if I was living in Ireland at the moment would take off but sometimes I feel its difficult to shrug off the tourist status when the time comes to settle with a full time job in a foreign country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Surprised at the lack of people saying they'll stay in-country. I'd rather not leave Irealnd. I'm not a homebird an all but the idea of moving to another country is completely unappealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I'd like to live in somewhere different for a while [New Zealand/Canada are nice] but all things considered,I don't have the option of living anywhere else or moving

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

& Where to?

With the country not in the best state, it's looking like quite a few of us will have to look elsewhere when entering the working world. One of my friends is moving to Oz next month, I've heard plenty of other stories of people I know having to move too. Would you be able to make the big step and move away from the comforts of your friends/family in Ireland?

Personally, I'd prefer to not emigrate when i finish my degree. I grew up in the UK, moving away from my friends a couple of times & it was quite hard. I've lived in Ireland for the last number of years and I'm quite comfortable here now.

However I'm not completely against the idea of emigrating. If I had to I think I'd like to live in France. I spent a lot of time in Brittany when I was younger and I've always liked the place! :) I really like London too, and a random one I'm quite intrigued by was an advertisement I saw in my college course about working in Singapore when I'm qualified. With English being their first language it could be a good experience!
    For some reason I couldn't see myself living in some of the places people emigrate to. I've never been to Australia but it never crosses my mind as somewhere I'd live. Maybe I need to see it and experience what it's really like!
    I'm also not sold about living in the USA. I've been to New York twice, and while I absolutely loved it, I couldn't imagine living there. I hope to do a J1 next year so that could change my mind, guess I just need to travel more and see what other parts of the world are like!

So yeah, could you imagine living away from here? Where could you see yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Would like to have the option to emigrate rather than having to. There's a few places I'd love to try out.
    -Japan. Though I don't think I'd have the dedication to learn the language.
    -Singapore. Would need the job sorted before I left and I don't think I'm on the right path for what they look for.
    -Seoul. Though there's a chance after a while I'd get bored of the skyline. :pac: Also the language thing.
    -Germany. Was there a while back and it took a few days for me to put my finger on I didn't like about the place. Nothin major but don't know if I'd like to stay there.
    -America. It's just so big, something for everyone. :pac:
    -Australia. But only QLD or NSW. :P
    -Scandinavia. For the weather. Language would be an issue.
    -England. Handy for access, love the culture in certain areas as well.

Basically I'll play it by ear, not in any hurry to do anything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Defnitely will emigrate. Whether it would be permanent or not I don't know yet. I Want to move to Japan. That's my main goal in life. Although things are not good there at the moment, it's still a place where I see my future and a place where I want to be. I would also go to Oz. have an aunt and family there so would like to experience there at some stage. New York is also a place where I'd like to live for a while. I love big cities :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I've wanted to move to London since I was like eight anyway, but if things are still bad by the time I finish college it'll be out of necessity rather than just because I feel like it. Something might happen between now and then to change my mind but right now it's one of the only things I know I want to do with my life - I couldn't live in Cork forever. I love Paris but I don't know if I'd move there permanently, and Imma freak because I have no interest in Australia or America...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Stay here and fix your own country or the next generation of Irish people will be just as fúcked as this one.

Advertisement