Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want to stay in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Namlub wrote: »
    and Imma freak because I have no interest in Australia or America...

I've no massive interest in oz or the USA either. It's somewhere I'd like to experience but nowhere I'd se set on moving to. So don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I've always been set on leaving Ireland, dire economic situation or no dire economic situation. It's just such a small part of a much bigger world, no matter what I'm definitely going to do lots of travelling. I think I'd really like to live somewhere else, at least for a while. I really like the idea of London or Paris (or anywhere in France, really) too. I'd like to go to America and Australia too, but I doubt I'd be part of the mass exodus to actually live in Australia. I could see myself living in America for a while though.

I dunno, I haven't exactly done a whole lot of travelling, I haven't been further than France - so it's hard to say where I'll end up going, but I'm definitely going to go. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Didn't we have a similar thread a while back? I can't remember if it was exactly the same, but 'twas of a similar nature!

But yeah, I think I probably will emigrate. I've always wanted to work for a company such as MCD or Aiken (Organising concerts and stuff, it just seems so fun!) but realistically I'd never get a job in that because it's such a small industry. :( So yeah I'm hopefully going to do a Business Degree (And a masters in marketing) or a Law Degree (And a masters in Criminology) and emigrate to either Australia/America. I just love the way of life in these places, it's all so relaxed and stuff. I can't say I'm really attached to Ireland at all, but I'd be worried about leaving my family behind and not seeing them for long periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Didn't we have a similar thread a while back? I can't remember if it was exactly the same, but 'twas of a similar nature!

But yeah, I think I probably will emigrate. I've always wanted to work for a company such as MCD or Aiken (Organising concerts and stuff, it just seems so fun!) but realistically I'd never get a job in that because it's such a small industry. :( So yeah I'm hopefully going to do a Business Degree (And a masters in marketing) or a Law Degree (And a masters in Criminology) and emigrate to either Australia/America. I just love the way of life in these places, it's all so relaxed and stuff. I can't say I'm really attached to Ireland at all, but I'd be worried about leaving my family behind and not seeing them for long periods of time.

oops, went 5 pages back there and there is a couple of quite similar ones, "what will you be doing in 5 years time" etc.
    This is more meant at the locations though, wanted to see if anyone has any interesting plans!
    To get work in MCD & the likes I think it comes down to "who you know" and that sort of thing a lot of the time, tis what I've heard from my friend who did commerce & then a masters in something business related. He set up his own small management company and from that managed to get an internship in rubyworks (they're involved in the management of rodrigo y gabriela & fight like apes).
    It is achievable! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 killer_penguin

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Stay here and fix your own country or the next generation of Irish people will be just as fúcked as this one.

The reality is that a very large percentage of upcoming graduates will be signing on until they do find a job. Before this may have been unusual and for a short period of time, but now it seems much more indefinite.

Stay here and fix your own country?

To be quite frank, these graduates (myself included) will realistically be a burden on the taxpayer in the form of social welfare costs. From what I gather, this is one of the most costly expenditures this government is having to accommodate in these tough financial times.

I think it is better for people to move away for the following reasons:
    • Lessen the burden in terms of lower social welfare payments.
    • Explore the world, gain a greater knowlege and respect of how other economies function.
    • Learn new ideas, ways to do things and how to do them more efficiently.
    • Gain valuable work experience in all types of sectors that they probably will not be able to here for some time to come.

People WILL return. Certainly not all of them but most definitely a significant portion will. They will be experienced, better equipped and driven. Surely this is the the best way to fix this country? Let those who are here do what they can to change the mistakes that previous governments have made. Sort out the fundamental flaws in Irish society and let the country begin to prosper once again. When we return, our impact on the country's development will be much greater then it would be if we all stayed here queuing outside the dole office week in, week out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Noel2k9 wrote: »

Run! Save yourself while you still can! Damn Law seemed so cool on the tv, but reading cases is slowly killing my soul*...

PM me with law questions, if you like. Anything to avoid college work..

*Only kind of joking.

Emigration you say? Hmm, well I think it would be beneficial to spend some time abroad to be honest. I'll come back to Ireland, though. I'm rather attached to our little island.
    On the whole "stay here and fix your country" point - I agree with Killer Penguin. It's better to go abroad and get a job and some experience rather than stay here on the dole. Then graduates will be better prepared to fix the country. It's happened before (in the eighties) and it will happen again. You can't "fix" anything from a dole queue, though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

To be quite frank, these graduates (myself included) will realistically be a burden on the taxpayer in the form of social welfare costs. From what I gather, this is one of the most costly expenditures this government is having to accommodate in these tough financial times.

I think it is better for people to move away for the following reasons:
    • Lessen the burden in terms of lower social welfare payments.
    • Explore the world, gain a greater knowlege and respect of how other economies function.
    • Learn new ideas, ways to do things and how to do them more efficiently.
    • Gain valuable work experience in all types of sectors that they probably will not be able to here for some time to come.

People WILL return. Certainly not all of them but most definitely a significant portion will. They will be experienced, better equipped and driven. Surely this is the the best way to fix this country? Let those who are here do what they can to change the mistakes that previous governments have made. Sort out the fundamental flaws in Irish society and let the country begin to prosper once again. When we return, our impact on the country's development will be much greater then it would be if we all stayed here queuing outside the dole office week in, week out.

Hey I'm all on for travelling and seeing the world. I'm a recent graduate too but I'm working a low skilled job now as opposed to a high skilled job in 2007 when I was in my final year of college.

Social Welfare payments aren't to blame for our current situation, regardless of the amount of vitriol that gets thrown around about the welfare system. The country is like this because the government gauranteed the banks and now it's sucking the national exchequer dry. The cost of social welfare isn't what has us in this position.

And again, going away for a few years and coming back with new skills is cool too. It's just depressing to think that we have a new generation of educated peolple coming out of college, exactly the people we need to fix the country, and a good load of them are leaving and will never come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I definitely wanna emigrate at some point. I don't mind if it's out of choice or necessity, because it's always been on my agenda anyway. I can't live my whole life in the same country. I need to go explore new places, try new ways of life etc.

Nothing against Ireland but there's such a big world out that there I think you'd be mad not to emigrate at some point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I've always assumed I would go to England after college. I want to go into the gaming industry and there is nothing in Ireland really. Plus I prefer the education and health system of the uk from having it in my own childhood up north. Plus the uk is close enough that I can see my family often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I think I would like to, yeah. The only thing that would hold me back is some annoying health problems, but I could work around that hopefully. I'd love to live in London for a while - was there last year and absolutely loved it! Or France either; one of my friends went on Erasmus to Aix-en-Provence and it just sounds great :) Canada also would be pretty cool. I think I'd go anywhere really if I could :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I can see myself going to the US or Canada in the future, but it's too early to tell tbh.

Would really like to move, but it's not a decision I can just make, not without considering the pros and cons etc., the job market will apparently be good most places I go once I get my degree (which will hopefully be accompanied by some good work experience next year) so hopefully that won't force my hand either way.
    My main worry is that I'd end up hating it but not be able to leave as easily due to work or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Probably will do next year more than likely to the states due to the lack of hassle moving there

my degree is in high demand in most countries though so that could easily change if i get the right job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I don't really have a plan for the future with regards to emigrating or working, going to be in Ireland for the next few years anyway. What's great is the options- there's a big huge world to travel around.

One thing I think I'm fairly sure about is if I did go abroad for awhile, I'd probably come back here at some point. People knock Ireland, myself included, but the quality of living here is really second to none. Economic meltdown or not, I love the space here, and yet how near everything is at the same time. You know what they say: far away aliens are always greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm a US citizen so I'll almost definitely move there at some point in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I'm a US citizen so I'll almost definitely move there at some point in my life.

Ya same here. Ever since I was little I''ve wanted to go back. I'd love to live in New York for a couple of years.
    I thought I'd hate London but was there last year and loved it. And wouldn't mind oz either. But at the end of the day I think I'd always come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Id love to go to america, but I cant see myself living there somehow. Germany would probably be high up on my list to live in.

Basically, Ill go wherever the jobs are. Doesnt bother me too much. Moving to dublin means pretty much the same thing as moving to Australia or whatever. ( I know that probably seems strange to some of ye).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

I lived in America for 9 months last year and i loved every minute but at the same time i don't think i'd want to live their forever.

Probably going to have to emmigrate to get a job once i finish my degree in a few months. Have had a few interviews in London and looking far more likely i'll get a job there than in Ireland

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd love to do the whole artist-living-in-Paris thing sometime. I'll have to start writing again first though! >_<

I'm sure I'll get to visit the U.S.A. but I don't know if I'll ever spend a prolonged period there. Might start thinking about Australia/New Zealand for 2012 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm not sure really. The more time that goes by, the more I think I'll have to leave to have any hope of getting work. Realistically I can go to the UK, some states in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand...any of the common law countries, really, although some require conversion courses and the like. I don't think I'd particularly mind emigrating but then again I'd like to have the choice to stay here and not be forced into leaving out of necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

In all likelihood, yes, regardless of economic situations, Ireland is a very small country with very few people in it. I'd like to go to Canada, France or Australia, but I don't know the logistics of doing that. Also, Australia is really hot and full of spiders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I'm more interested in spending loads of time travelling than in actually living somewhere for a long period of time. I'm here for the next 5 years anyway, but during a couple of the summers we'll be sent to Africa or Asia on volunteering programs which I can't wait for! :)

I'd like to work here for a year or two, save some money and then go travelling for a few months. I would consider working abroad, or spending periods of time working elsewhere than Ireland but I'm not sure at the moment if I would 100% leave Ireland. The health system is disastrous here though...

For some reason the US has never interested me but I'm going to sit the USMLE anyway. Australia and New Zealand would be my main goals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

amacachi wrote: »
    -Australia. But only QLD or NSW. :P

Or you could go to Canberra where they support a real sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

We had a thread on emigration not too long ago, so I'm going to merge the two into one thread. :)

Kateos2

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I don't think I'd like to leave Ireland, although I can't really say why!

Half of third year of my course involves work placement as a trainee/junior Actuary, and a lot of people in my class are talking about how they'd like to go to England/America etc. to do it. I don't really have the same desires as them to travel abroad - I like Ireland, and would like to stay here if possible.

Of course, once the 'oul degree is done and it's time to look for a company that'll have me, I may have no choice but to emigrate as jobs are fairly scarce in Ireland. We'll see what it comes to anyway!

I'd like to go to America if it came to emigration. If you actually think about it, the sheer size of the Earth is scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I'll pretty much have to I'd say, there'll be very few jobs going in my area when I graduate. I'm on erasmus in France this year though so I could definitely see myself coming back here for work for a few years, or maybe England or Canada. Don't really get the mass desire to go to Australia, it'd be cool to see I spose but it doesn't really hold anything for me. I'd like to settle in Ireland though after a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I think it's a lovely country, it's just not for me. I will leave in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

I think it's a lovely country, it's just not for me. I will leave in the future.
    I wouldve Thought Youd be trying to get as far away from home as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

I'm a US citizen so thankfully I've a get out of jail free card there.

out of the asylum morelike...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Ireland will always be my true home, that much is fairly certain.

I quite like where I live, I like my community and I feel like I have found my niche here. However, I certainly want to see life beyond the borders of my town. :P Assuming I get medicine, it shouldn't be difficult to find a job here in Ireland, so IF I get medicine, emigrating due to lack of work is very unlikely.

I would, however, emigrate for a few years just for the experience of working abroad. Seeing what it's like, trying something different. I'd love to emigrate to Germany and work there for a few years and get my German into fluency. I would love to try some Asian countries, but I think getting Japanese or Chinese into doctor-patient communication standards is a bit of a push. Maybe a tour of Asia for a few months! :P

Basically, I would love to travel. I've no problem living in other countries, or even perhaps having a family in another country and stuff. But Ireland will always be home, I'll always return, even if the flights I book might be return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I wouldve Thought Youd be trying to get as far away from home as possible.

<3

Advertisement