Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want to stay in Ireland?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 killer_penguin

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Hey I'm all on for travelling and seeing the world. I'm a recent graduate too but I'm working a low skilled job now as opposed to a high skilled job in 2007 when I was in my final year of college.

Social Welfare payments aren't to blame for our current situation, regardless of the amount of vitriol that gets thrown around about the welfare system. The country is like this because the government gauranteed the banks and now it's sucking the national exchequer dry. The cost of social welfare isn't what has us in this position.

And again, going away for a few years and coming back with new skills is cool too. It's just depressing to think that we have a new generation of educated peolple coming out of college, exactly the people we need to fix the country, and a good load of them are leaving and will never come back.

Sorry if it came across like that :) Meant that with these portion of the new welfare recipient away for a while it would be less of a drain on resources - which would help ! :)

I agree it is depressing but fresh faced graduates will not provide instant recovery to Irish society. Fix the system in next few years with what we have got and watch prosperity return in the long term as those who have left return. Not every one is going to leave as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'd never like to think I'd stay in Ireland forever, without a view to exploring other countries and getting a taste of live outside the Island. After being to London a few times and New York once as well, I'd love to go back there for longer, maybe get a job there and stay for a few months or whatever. I won't stay in Ireland forever but as others have said, I do plan returning

Plus when I get rich, I plan to buy a few houses/apartments in a few different countries, with a place always to come back to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Even if this was the height of the Celtic Tiger I'd have no real desire to stay. It's always been in my mind to emigrate. Weird as this sounds, I honestly think it's the drinking at any oppurtunity culture that turns me off the place so much. Also throw in the really messed up version of dating that Irish people have, the lack of clearly defined seasons and the sheer 'smallness' of the place and it makes me want to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Even if this was the height of the Celtic Tiger I'd have no real desire to stay. It's always been in my mind to emigrate. Weird as this sounds, I honestly think it's the drinking at any oppurtunity culture that turns me off the place so much. Also throw in the really messed up version of dating that Irish people have, the lack of clearly defined seasons and the sheer 'smallness' of the place and it makes me want to emigrate.

Your username suggests a much more wholesome activity :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Your username suggests a much more wholesome activity :pac:

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭PocketWatch

I used to always think that I wanted to get out of here asap, but I dunno I think I'm changing my mind now... I definitely want to travel though, maybe not live anywhere far from home for a long period of time because if I'm honest the whole idea of living somewhere completely unfamiliar and far from home... also not knowing anyone there kinda scares me!
    But I definitely want to travel, I want to see the world but perhaps not live anywhere other than the UK or maybe France as I lived there when I was younger and would love to go back..

I do think I would like to go to university somewhere in the UK though, just to become more independent and really to start afresh because I don't like the whole atmosphere in my school and the universities that I'd like to go to (in Ireland) would be full of people from my school and tbh I want to leave them behind me once and for all. Of course I still want to keep in touch with my friends but generally I hate the people in my year! But money is now a problem because the English fees are so high now so it might not be an option and I'll be stuck here after all! :(

But I've still got time to decide, I'm only in 5th year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I always wanted to get out of Ireland to travel for a year or so but never actually contemplated moving countries for longer than that. How things have changed! I'm now moving to England for college in September and am not sure when/if I'll be moving back to Ireland..besides for the summers! I'm not leaving Ireland because of the government or banks , but because I missed out on my course.. so it's really an invoulntary move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I really have no idea what I will do.
    I like to get into TV but I don't know anyone in RTE and they all reddy have some like me on there day time RTE 2

So I maybe the uk is the best bet for that but I have no idea if I can make it over there to Because I have been told by a lot of people you have the look and voice for tv but have no idea if I can make it

Our stay in Ireland and work in something with computers if that does not work out but I am hopping to do mutimadia but I have no fate in getting past my interview because I haveint been told anything about what is post to go in my portfolio I going to end up with stuff that has notting To do with multimedia in it

So really I have no idea what I am going to be doing in college yet let alone moving for work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

A few years ago I'd planned on leaving the second I left college, but since I (hopefully) won't be out of college 'til at least 2017 (eep), it's gonna be a good while til I have to make that decision. Of course in the meantime I'd love to travel; planning on going to Vancouver next summer with a few friends, have a couple of European trips planned, stuff like that. If college turns out not to be an option for me next year though, I think I'll still stay here. A couple of years ago I would've been all for leaving, but my circumstances have changed since I left school in 2009, and I don't think I could face leaving my parents, at least not at the minute.

In the future though, I would like to move to America or Canada for a few years, but I know that no matter where I go, I'm always going to end up back here - it is my home after all, and if I have kids in the future I'd like to raise them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I fell in love with Paris instantly, and the couple of weeks of visits there didn't change that at all. The tourist areas are, of course, lovely - but it was the quiet parts that I absolutely adored. The second time I went to Paris, I was with friends and we all split up for a day to do our own thing. Mine was spent wandering around the empty, peaceful back-streets, in little book-shops and vintage shops. And I loved it. I loved the atmosphere, the way random people would start chatting to me (and assuming I was French, somehow :confused:).. Everything really. So I'd definitely like to spend a couple of years there - but my French will need to improve remarkably.

I'd also like to spend some time in Germany - probably Munich or that general area. I'm fascinated by the country and that region in particular and really enjoyed my few days there a year or so back. Finding a job would probably be okay - I was actually going to apply for some finance internships there this year, so I know they have the kind of careers I'd consider doing. I'd love to visit Oberstdorf, Garmisch-Partenkirchen and so many other towns in that area to watch all the winter-sports I've somehow become obsessed with over the years (thank you, Eurosport!).

My mother went to a fortune teller/tarot-card reader type in the not so distant past and they insist that I'll do well academically and emigrate to Australia. TBH, I'm not that interested in going there. It could happen, but I'm not madly in love (or out of love either!) with the idea.

There's a good chance I'll end up in the UK (or in the States, if I'm really good/lucky) for work. If I go into finance, there's so many more opportunities there than here and, having researched a lot of companies for various internship applications, I'd certainly find somewhere that I'd enjoy working! There's a few firms with branches in Cambridge and I absolutely love the place (it's like a university city, and it's beautiful <3) so I'd love to have the chance to work there - oh, and maybe a postgrad (thinking Part III in Maths or a Masters in Finance) there too! :pac: There's also London, where the main companies are based in the "City" and there would be a lot of amazing opportunities there.

I'd be happy living in Ireland for most of the rest of my life, but I'd like to spend a few years living elsewhere and I absolutely would emigrate for the sake of my career. I think I'll be one of those awful, awful career driven people you see that pretty much lives in their office. Oh dear. >.<

TL;DR - There's lots of places I'd like to live. Here would be one of them, others would be... well, others. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Or you could go to Canberra where they support a real sport.

I'm guessing the capital is all Union aye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MountainDew

Definitely planning on getting out of here, really boring where I live.

Thinkin' of going to the states at some point and living there :) Loved it every time I've gone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm currently getting stuff together so I can apply for public school teaching in Korea! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm a US citizen so thankfully I've a get out of jail free card there.

You lucky *£&£("&£!!!! :P

I think anyone thats actually been out of the country before knows how shíte it really is on an International scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm guessing the capital is all Union aye?

Yep. Think it's the only part of Aus where it's number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Yep. Think it's the only part of Aus where it's number 1.

I guessed as much, all the highly-paid government workers and public schools. ;)

Advertisement