Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werder Bremen this week

Options
  • 21-11-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Anyone going?

I'm in the East stand as per usual - win should put us through to last 16.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

A draw would virtually put us through (persuming Inter beat Twente). Twente are 2 points further back with a GD of -1 while we have a GD of +4
    Table:
    (P - W - D - L - F - A - Pts)
    Tottenham 4 2 1 1 12 8 7
    Inter Milan 4 2 1 1 11 8 7
    FC Twente 4 1 2 1 6 7 5
    Werder Bremen 4 0 2 2 3 9 -6 2

But yeah, we should really aim to top this group. Well within our grasp. Hopefully the lads will play with the same enthuaism and conviction as they did against Inter. We could give these boys a hiding.

Gomes
    Hutton --- Gallas --- Kaboul --- BAE
    Lennon --- Jenas/Palacios --- Modric --- Bale
    VDV
    Defoe

Really looking forward to seeing how VDV and Defoe play together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I wouldn't be starting defoe...slowly does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be starting defoe...slowly does it.
    I'd keep defoe for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'd stick in Crouch so. He's built up quite a partnership with VDV.

Werder in trouble at the moment shipped 4 goals at the weekend and are getting slammed in the press we really should win they seem very low on confidence at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭sniffingchimp

Reckon we should have them quite easily - although possible hangover after Gunners result..... Still think we should do it without too much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Crouch and VDV up front - I'd play them in almost every CL game as foreign teams don't seem able to deal with Crouch. Big game, have to keep the desire and intensity up, though I'd be a little worried after the result on Saturday that the team may not perform as well.

We should win though. I'd love us to finish top of the group :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Just found this forum, long time Spurs fan here.

Agree with Crouch starting ahead of Defoe for this one, we can give Defoe some game time late on, hopefully after Crouch has helped us win the game.

We're so close now, but would rather not have to go to Holland looking for a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

WB lost 4-0 at the weekend, thats 4 defeats in their last 5. Considering Twente won in Germany we really should be winning this one handy.

Inter are playing so poorly under Benitez I wouldn't be surprised if our match in Holland is to decide who wins the group.

Wednesday night is absolutely crucial we win however.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

I will be travelling over as well. Will be my CL debut so looking forward to it. Agree about keeping Defoe on the bench and starting with Crouch. And hopefully we won't go a few goals down - heart can't keep taking it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

5-0 Spurs :)

5-0 Spurs :)

Thats the attitude ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

Really looking forward to seeing how VDV and Defoe play together.[/QUOTE]

I second that THFC. That is going to be a class act to watch :D
    We're not great at the back at the moment but if people let us play, they will be punished!
    I really think Modric is different class for us this season.
    What a reader of the game.
    Spurs 4 Werder 1

After that we have Liverpool to look forward too :)

I like that Modric can suddenly hit fierce drives that he couldn't hit before

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Heading over also.....and can't wait :D:D
    Airport beers anyone ??????

VdV & Crouch up front for me.
    Centre Mid who to partner with Luka is the issue !!!!

Hope Harry doesn't decide to rest up anybody....just play 1 game at a time. Go get the win & qualification.....and thrill the crowd again ;)

The key thing is to win, at all costs. There's no point in beating Arsenal away and then not beating Bremen at home. The same can be said of the Liverpool match on Sunday too. I'm hoping confidence will be high, we'll get a early goal or two, and start playing with some swagger.

Bale and Rafa doubtful according to Harry

Bale and Rafa doubtful according to Harry

Doesnt sound good, I'm wary of us without our two biggest playmakers at the moment. Could be Harry playing games tho?

That might work out though. I know they're our best players, but what about Niko on the left and Crouch/Defoe up front? It weakens us in that Niko doesn't have the speed or attacking qualities of Bale, but he can still play and is well able to score. Plus, it would be a good reintroduction for Crouch & Defoe up front.

SuprSi wrote: »
    That might work out though. I know they're our best players, but what about Niko on the left and Crouch/Defoe up front? It weakens us in that Niko doesn't have the speed or attacking qualities of Bale, but he can still play and is well able to score. Plus, it would be a good reintroduction for Crouch & Defoe up front.

Would be nice to see Defoe and Crouch partnered again, compliment eachother well but I'm worried about the general morale of the team when they line up without two players they've come to rely quite heavily on....

Anyhow, still think we'll have them regardless, COYS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Is the match been shown live on TV? Other than Sky Sports? I'm sick so can't go to the local to watch it, :(

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

Balfie wrote: »
    Is the match been shown live on TV? Other than Sky Sports? I'm sick so can't go to the local to watch it, :(
    Sky Sports 2 and Setanta as far as i know.

Gio on the left maybe kranjcar not 100% fit Pav up front with crouch until 60+ min then bring Defoe on.

Vital we win and try top the group.
    Assuming bale and vdv are out, Id go with Modric on the left, lennon on the right, jenas and Palacios in the middle, crouch and pav.

fabvinny wrote: »
    Sky Sports 2 and Setanta as far as i know.

Setanta Ireland? Or Setanta1?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JL Pagano

Balfie wrote: »
    Setanta Ireland? Or Setanta1?

Cheers
    My cable box makes it the free Setanta.

A win puts us into last 16 no matter what. Would love to target that so we'll be able to rest players in Twente. Prem points far more important than home advantage IMO.

I have a feeling that VdV and/or Bale could be on bench tonight.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

philon wrote: »
    Heading over also.....and can't wait :D:D
    Airport beers anyone ??????

Flying out of Cork so probably no good to you....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have a feeling about this one,

Confidence will be high after Saturday. I think we'll out score them. Maybe 2-1 win.

Defoe with a brace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

VdV is definately out I read earlier

• Advertisement

I was looking at the Inter team to play Fc Twente, and they are riddeled with injurys, so if Twente can go to the San Siro and get a draw, and we win tonight against Bremen we have a good chance of finishing top of the group.
    Coutinho (thigh), Cristian Chivu (groin), Diego Milito (thigh), Joel Obi (thigh) and Walter Samuel (knee ligaments) are all definitely out. Maicon (thigh), Sulley Muntari (calf) and goalkeeper Julio Cesar (thigh) are all also sidelined.

Chances are tho 'Arry will rest key players like VDV, Bale, Modric.

Corluka might get a run out instead of Hutton.

Sky Sports News is reporting that Werder Bremen are without up to 10 first team players also.
    Petri Pasanen (virus) joining the likes of captain Torsten Frings (suspended) and strikers Claudio Pizarro and Marko Arnautovic (both thigh) on the sidelines.
    Mikael Silvestre, who joined from Arsenal in the summer, is also out of Wednesday's fixture after being laid low with a back injury.
    Coach Thomas Schaaf has included several players from the club's Under 23 side to make up the numbers in a squad which has conceded 10 goals in their last two away games.

So we have every chance of finishing top of the group, which would be great for us.

COYS :D

Advertisement