Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rob needs new MoJo

• 22-11-2010 12:01am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm in a odd situation.
    A season end was further extended by my sisters wedding and the 300k cycle.
    For next year I had planned to do the amstel sportif of the etape.
    Both seemed scuppered by the financial crisis.
    I have limited time for training and my job envolves long hours and unpredictable finishing times.
    I also am a bit lost with goals.
    I've done the full open racing series of 40+ races a year and enjoyed it.
    I've won the club league as a senior and as a vet.

I need goals to aim for and am struggling to find them.
    Luckily I'll always be involved in cycling in a certain role so will (hopefully) never be away from the sport.
    The IVCA racing is good but I cannot predict week to week my availability.
    I need 2-3 defined goals and am open to suggestions.
    The Race across Ireland interests me but that involves a team an d I'd only do it for a charity.

I have a goal of beating Beasty in a TT which I will do :D

As of tonight I'm off the bike (apart from commutes) for 2 weeks due to illness. I'm 84kgs and 5"10 and my racing weight is 76kgs.

I need suggested goals so all are welcome.

PS Am dosed with flu for the past 2 weeks and get SOB walking up the stairs so am understandably down just now.......

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mid-Life Crisis?

(only a couple of weeks left now Rob;))

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

...seriously though, you are a vet now, and the IVCA does provide plenty of opportunity, be it the midweek league, Sunday League, TT leagues and Championships and Track Championships

I would suggest in particular, if you have not given track riding much of a go, heading down to Sundrive (once repaired!) to try it out. The track leagues run on the same night as the Swords League, and there are a vets omnium and track championships each year - it can be addictive, and can also "justify" new bike spend;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

A few of us here are hoping to do Ronde Van Vlanderen on Apr 2. A worthy challenge.

However I have a suggestion for you. This year I took part in the 10th running of the Tour de Munster. It is a 4 day cycle thruout Munster that raises funds for charities. This year we raised 240k for DSI.

Given your charity work and statement about doing RAI for charity, then why not try to get say a 3-5 day Tour de Leinster or some such event off the ground for charity.
    I had a blast doing TDM this year and I plan on doing it next year. 650km over 4 days fully supported with 100 other people was a fantastic way to spend some time cycling. I would recommend that type of event to anyone who loves cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hi Rob,

Just to clarify, define 'goal' does it mean something like; to win like a race series, compete like RAAM, participate like a Mizen to Malin, or perhaps a touring holiday......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Mid-Life Crisis?

(only a couple of weeks left now Rob;))

Pretty much yes :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hi Rob,

Just to clarify, define 'goal' does it mean something like; to win like a race series, compete like RAAM, participate like a Mizen to Malin, or perhaps a touring holiday......

Touring holidays while desirable are out due to family.
    I always do a few sportifs and am Wicklow 200'ed out so maybe the Sean Kelly 160 could be a goal.
    Starting to get rid of this flu so an urge to race again (open or IVCA) is coming back.
    Would prefer to looks at peaking towards a series of events though rather than just race week in week out.
    Will Def do the track accreditation this time and not wuss out like I did last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

Ras Mumhann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

What about getting in a few triathlons?

If nothing else you'll get to observe some sweet bike handling.

Maybe mark on a number on your calf and shoulder before your next ride to see what it feels like. Happy days...only drawback is a certain loss of "euroness"

Advertisement