Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protestor knocked down by ministers car

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

gurramok wrote: »
    Publicity stunt?..LOL

Yeh, the guy wanted to be run over:rolleyes:

Sure didn't he want to pull a Padraig Pearse on it. Become a martyr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Publicity stunt?..LOL
    Yeh, the guy wanted to be run over:rolleyes:

Was he run over? Have heard that it was actually an AGS Ford Mondeo, and he wasn't run over, but manhandled against it during a scuffle with gardaí, and got 'injured'. Quickly becomes he was 'run over', then becomes a ministerial car....

As for the other plonker jumping in front of the ministerial cars, yeah that was very much a publicity stunt.

As expected....... no mention whatsoever of anyone being run over in a ministerial car...
    Angry scenes outside Dáil
    There were angry scenes outside government buildings last night as protesters vented their dissatisfaction with the bailout announcement. A small group of people shouted abuse at ministerial cars as they drove away.
    There were minor scuffes with Gardai. An ambulance had to be called for one man injured in the scuffles.
    Protesters are expected to gather outside government buildings again today.

http://tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=48639&locID=1.2.&pagename=home

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

The poor fella was lying on the ground and you can see the car actually rise up slightly as it goes over his leg. Was on BBC news this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    There are three bloody sundays by my count maybe more , so maybe this can be one too , there are no criteria afaik

Would blood not be a criteria?

easyeason3 wrote: »
    I hope he's not seriously injured but generally speaking if you stand on a public road in front of a moving vehicle then there is a strong chance that vehicle will knock you down.

Unless you have a buggy in front of you.
    Everyone knows buggies have big invulnerability shields!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

TheZohan wrote: »
    If you really want to get technical about it you should be aware that a pedestrian always has right of way, unfortunately.

If only the ministers thought that, and went for a walk down the centre of a motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

prinz wrote: »
    Was he run over? Have heard that it was actually an AGS Ford Mondeo, and he wasn't run over, but manhandled against it during a scuffle with gardaí, and got 'injured'. Quickly becomes he was 'run over', then becomes a ministerial car....

As for the other plonker jumping in front of the ministerial cars, yeah that was very much a publicity stunt.

As expected....... no mention whatsoever of anyone being run over in a ministerial car...
    http://tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=48639&locID=1.2.&pagename=home

Details have indeed been sketchy. The foreign media have been saying he was run over by the wheel of a car while RTE did not say what happened to him. All we know for defo is that its a severe leg injury and it does concur with been run over by a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Details have indeed been sketchy. The foreign media have been saying he was run over by the wheel of a car while RTE did not say what happened to him. All we know for defo is that its a severe leg injury and it does concur with been run over by a car.

There were many TV crews at Government buildings last night.When I was watching TV, they showed around four ministerial cars leaving the building surrounded by protesters and Gardai. The reporter said the rest must have left from a different entrance. Now, if a guy was actually knocked down by one of these four ministerial cars, it would be on film.

Seriously, some of these AH threads are sounding like Fox news or Sky news.
    Protests = cars = police brutality = 9/11 = Bloody Sunday = X Factor

Too much hysteria

Degsy wrote: »
    Sinn Fein are the only people fighting this bastard government..dont hold with thier beliefs but at least they're doing something.

Sinn Fein backed the government with the bank bail out that has the country w&nked.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Sinn Fein backed the government with the bank bail out that has the country w&nked.

That is one millionth of the full picture and should not be held against any opposition party.

To try and blame any opposition party for actions taken by Government parties is ridiculous.

It sounds like FF next attempt to snake back into government. "They all agreed with us". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mark200 wrote: »
    So what is the point of a zebra crossing, if they always have the right of way?

They're for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Why should there be pay cuts?

The hole in the finances is largely due to propping up the banks and ipso facto the developers who caused this mess.

The "investors" in anglo have fled the party so why should the men an women with mortages and children who dont have the option to flee..why should they have thier pay cut in order to allow the criminals to escape unharmed?
    Leaving the banks aside there still isn't enough money to run the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

karma_ wrote: »
    Regardless of what the law says, every driver knows, or at least they should know, that if a pedestrian walks into the road, runs or jumps on the road and starts playing the tambourine, it is your duty to do everything in your power not to hit them. To hit a pedestrian is the cardinal sin of driving. (And yes I recognise accidents are sometimes unavoidable)
    Having seen RTE showing a car inching it's way out of the gates, with people flinging themselves into the path of the slow moving car, before Gardai pull them out of the way, it seems this person may have lay down in front of the car, out of the drivers field of view, and got hit by the car, before or whilst being dragged away.

That is one millionth of the full picture and should not be held against any opposition party.

To try and blame any opposition party for actions taken by Government parties is ridiculous.

It sounds like FF next attempt to snake back into government. "They all agreed with us". :rolleyes:

Labour didn't ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Is there footage of the actual incident?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Nodin wrote: »
    Is there footage of the actual incident?

It was on Sky news last nite..tbh i think the bloke was playing possum.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Labour didn't ;)

Wow, ain't they champs? Labour have voted for plenty of things with FF in power so don't try to play that game. No one would win. I saw Joan Burton using that line about the Bailout last night too, its off-putting and reeks of trying to pull one over, not on FF, but on opposition parties. Lost my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

A garda threw the protestor against the car (Dick Roche's ministerial car) low to the ground and it ran over his lower leg. The injured party identified the Garda responsible but the guards refused to acknowledge it. One of them B556 actually walked over and laughed at the chap on the ground before the ambulance came. There are one or two bad eggs in that Pearse St station that are spoiling the good name of a lot of decent gardaí.

I'm not here to answer trolls, just thought an eye-witness report might be better than all the supposition that appears in this and other Boards.ie threads. I don't understand the vitriol that is poured on protestors by the way, calling people muppets and saying they deserve physical harm because they are voicing a democratic right to demand an election that something like 90% of people are calling for.... not sure they're the muppets really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

poochiem wrote: »
    A garda threw the protestor against the car (Dick Roche's ministerial car) low to the ground and it ran over his lower leg. The injured party identified the Garda responsible but the guards refused to acknowledge it. One of them B556 actually walked over and laughed at the chap on the ground before the ambulance came. There are one or two bad eggs in that Pearse St station that are spoiling the good name of a lot of decent gardaí.

I'm not here to answer trolls, just thought an eye-witness report might be better than all the supposition that appears in this and other Boards.ie threads. I don't understand the vitriol that is poured on protestors by the way, calling people muppets and saying they deserve physical harm because they are voicing a democratic right to demand an election that something like 90% of people are calling for.... not sure they're the muppets really.

Wow, that Guard was also involved in the student protest. There is a video on youtube clearly showing him carrying an unconscious girl and throwing her on the ground in the middle of a riot. Not my video btw, just came across it on youtube during the time of the student protest. My comment below was posted in the politics forum 11 days ago:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079006&highlight=student&page=42

When I first heard about this protest, I didn't think much of it, but after watching some of the videos on youtube it seems to me that the Garda reaction was a bit over the top.

If you fast-forward to 3:00 on the video below you will see a Guard (B556) carries an unconscious girl out of the building and throws her on the footpath. She could have been trampled upon by either the crowd, the Guards in riot gear or the horses. Very irresponsible to just place an unconscious person in the middle of a riot. Another Guard and a protestor remove the girl from the scene.

Wow, that Guard was also involved in the student protest.

Awesome, must buy him a pint sometime.

• Advertisement

Wow, that Guard was also involved in the student protest. There is a video on youtube clearly showing him carrying an unconscious girl and throwing her on the ground in the middle of a riot.
    Seems B556 may have been one of the cycle cops? He was wearing a bicycle helmet. It seems he brought her from "the front line", and put her to the side. A few moments later, B168 comes over, checks her out, and then assisted in bringing the girl away. Seems like an organized process in getting the injured to the side of the rioting, and then get them assessed by someone else.

Wow, that Guard was also involved in the student protest. There is a video on youtube clearly showing him carrying an unconscious girl and throwing her on the ground in the middle of a riot. Not my video btw, just came across it on youtube during the time of the student protest. My comment below was posted in the politics forum 11 days ago:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079006&highlight=student&page=42

Sin fein had a bit of a demo over merrion St earlier and some Gaurd or other got a bit baton-happy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I know the guy personally who was knocked down. I don't appreciate the speculation nonsense in this thread. He was attending a perfectly legitimate protest, and is usually one of the more quieter guys. He was hit hard and his leg was hurt. I'm not sure if it's broken or not yet.

Sin fein had a bit of a demo over merrion St earlier and some Gaurd or other got a bit baton-happy too.

They pushed their way beyond where normal protests are allowed, the should be driven back. And if you look at the full video you see that people were grabbing onto that guard and hooking his legs. All he did in return was push back against them. Plus he was the first guard there and did a good job in stopping them from getting any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Why not? you'd make a nice couple.

Why not? you'd make a nice couple.

Very good. Worthy of Wilde himself.

Buceph wrote: »
    They pushed their way beyond where normal protests are allowed, the should be driven back. .

Why?Because the Government deserve to be protected??

Why?Because the Government deserve to be protected??

Because violence is wrong.

But treason,theft,corruption and enforced poverty of a soverign nation isnt?

the_syco wrote: »
    Seems B556 may have been one of the cycle cops? He was wearing a bicycle helmet. It seems he brought her from "the front line", and put her to the side. A few moments later, B168 comes over, checks her out, and then assisted in bringing the girl away. Seems like an organized process in getting the injured to the side of the rioting, and then get them assessed by someone else.

I don't know what you're talking about. He knocked her unconscious inside a public building while she was sitting on the ground in the lobby, then he carried her prone and dumped her on the footpath at the feet of the riot squad. Why are you supporting this kind of thing, she's a little waif of a thing and the guy is over 6 ft?
    The young lad B168 did the right thing, a decent guard and I feel bad for him that you have a few of these thugs in uniform disgracing the rest of them.

• Advertisement

But treason,theft,corruption and enforced poverty of a soverign nation isnt?

Nobody is arguing that.

except it seems when it involves beating up unarmed kids and unconscious girls, then some of the posters here want to buy the offender pints! sick puppies

except it seems when it involves beating up unarmed kids and unconscious girls, then some of the posters here want to buy the offender pints! sick puppies

Yeah, how dare people put the State itself ahead of individuals.... funnily enough people doing the opposite created the mess, and here the same people are whining about it still.

I don't know what you're talking about. He knocked her unconscious inside a public building while she was sitting on the ground in the lobby, then he carried her prone and dumped her on the footpath at the feet of the riot squad. Why are you supporting this kind of thing, she's a little waif of a thing and the guy is over 6 ft?
    The young lad B168 did the right thing, a decent guard and I feel bad for him that you have a few of these thugs in uniform disgracing the rest of them.
    I did not see that happen in the video, nor did I read of that happening in the post. From the information at hand, I only know what I saw, and my post is based on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

So Sinn Fein have broken inside Dail Eireann grounds and I must say, that the people in this country are pathetic...

What was a peaceful protest last night turned into a farce when a protester was run over by the guards and an old man assaulted by the so called ''Peace Keepers''. The majority of people on here just complain but arent prepared to do nothing about it. Only a handful showed up last night while the rest of the country were watching X-Factor - what a disgrace.

Collins and Pearce would turn in their grave...

A sad day for Ireland and a definitive proof that we are a different breed to our forefathers who stood up for what they believed in...

Could you imagine the Greeks or another country with revolutionary history, France, doing something similar....pfft. Just goes to show, we are nothing and that people can walk all over us - we are a laughing stock to the world. Yes, we have the bailout but we need to fight for the dismantling of Fianna Fail and total political reform!

Yay for the Greeks, burning three people to death was, like, totally worth it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Damn that was moved quick. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

right - so we riot and generally go f'uckin mental. then after that i pull 100 billion out me arse. sounds like a plan.

So Sinn Fein have broken inside Dail Eireann grounds and I must say, that the people in this country are pathetic...

What was a peaceful protest last night turned into a farce when a protester was run over by the guards and an old man assaulted by the so called ''Peace Keepers''. The majority of people on here just complain but arent prepared to do nothing about it. Only a handful showed up last night while the rest of the country were watching X-Factor - what a disgrace.

Collins and Pearce would turn in their grave...

A sad day for Ireland and a definitive proof that we are a different breed to our forefathers who stood up for what they believed in...

Could you imagine the Greeks or another country with revolutionary history, France, doing something similar....pfft. Just goes to show, we are nothing and that people can walk all over us - we are a laughing stock to the world. Yes, we have the bailout but we need to fight for the dismantling of Fianna Fail and total political reform!

Stop with the historical masturbation and the wet dream held by Sinn Fein/Eirigi/SWP to try and martyr themselves and pretend to any degree that historical figures would be doing what you guys are doing today and yesterday. It is all ego-fulfilling nonsense and cringe-worthy drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

irish-stew wrote: »
    Did the driver stop, if not can he/she be reported for hit and run?

Good idea, report a Garda driver to the Gardai for leaving the scene?

O'Snaidigh was in his element being pushed around by the Free-State Bastards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

We don't have any tanks.(MBTs as opposed to scorpions)
    Yes we do.

Technically Starbelgrade is correct.

Excluding the privately owned vehicles scattered around the country such as Chieftains, there is precisely one operational government-owned tank in Ireland, a Comet built in the late 1940s which is part of the Army's museum collection and very occasionally drives around in parades and ceremonies.

It'll do the running-over job of protestors, but then again, so will a Ford Mondeo, and it's much easier and cheaper.
    Did the driver stop, if not can he/she be reported for hit and run?

Probably won't meet the requirement. To avoid being guilty of a hit and run, if you notify the police (done automatically, it's a police driver!) and wait until the police arrive on the scene (and there were police at the scene), I think you're good to go.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Technically Starbelgrade is correct.

I knew it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 snoepys

I heard a rumour that oh I really cant say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

That's a hateful thing to say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Stop with the historical masturbation and the wet dream held by Sinn Fein/Eirigi/SWP to try and martyr themselves and pretend to any degree that historical figures would be doing what you guys are doing today and yesterday. It is all ego-fulfilling nonsense and cringe-worthy drivel.

Arggh, SWP in martyr, nationalistic reference. You haven't a breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

snoepys wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that oh I really cant say

pffft attention seeker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 snoepys

If I could knock down anyone it would be Bertie Ahern

Advertisement