Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Art books?

• 22-11-2010 1:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought of this while cleaning my room and came across some art books. Does anyone collect them? I think they're quite nice game memorabilia/collection pieces. Got a nice Gears of War art book when I worked in Game one christmas. Also have some german Dragon Quest 9 and Pokémon books which look lovely.

So what ones do you have? I'd like to get a few more.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have a lot of art books/production art but none of them are really games related! Only one I can think of at the moment came with Fallout 3 collectors edition.

I'd love some more. Really like production art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »
    I have a lot of art books/production art but none of them are really games related! Only one I can think of at the moment came with Fallout 3 collectors edition.

I'd love some more. Really like production art.

Oh yeah you have lots of anime/manga cels. I'd say they're gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Production art from comics too. If I didn't already have enough to be wasting my money on with games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

It's a different tact, but I got i am 8-bit, the art book collection of the art exhibition of the same name and it has some pretty special interperations of games.

The curator/editor was interviewed on the fourth episode of A Life Well Wasted, a video-game podcast that if you haven't listened to you really, really, really should. And talking about video game art, check out the fantastic cover art for the ALWW episodes: http://alifewellwasted.com/merch/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have the Fallout 3 book, GTA4 and now GT5 book, also the nice booklet that came with Symphony of the Night.
    If preproduction art is your bag there is a digital art monthly that often has features on videogame art assets, paintings, renders etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I've got a Megaman book from Udon, a Street Fighter one too but it's not great compared to the other one I can't think of the name of it. Also a Pro Evo 6 Guide book, a Zelda walkthrough with cheats for other N64 games from Virgin Megastores and a Video Gaming Manual from Haynes which is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭an_turtar

Here's some pictures of game books I've got, almost all in Japanese. May be of interest to some.

dscf3241.th.jpg

This is All About Namco 1 & 2, published in 1994. Amazing books, rich in detail (24 pages on Pac-Land for instance). With maps of the games, bitmap pattern for the characters (with colour coding so you can replicate them), details of home versions, musical scores, etc. Rare and expensive.

dscf3247.th.jpg

Two very nice books, All About Capcom Head to Head Fighting Games, and the SNK equivalent. Again, full details on all games, all ending, home versions, flyer scans, the lot.

dscf3244b.th.jpg

Sega Arcade History and Sega Consumer History. Covers presumably all of their arcade and home games, again with flyer scans, hardware descriptions, interviews etc.

dscf3252i.th.jpg

The Capcom Retro Game Collection packs are nice, on the left the MakaiMura edition is shown. Includes three versions for Playstation (MakaiMura, DaiMakaiMura, and ChouMakaiMura).
    On the right is the Street Fighter 15th Anniversary book.

dscf3250b.th.jpg

Two nice books from the same publisher. On the left Ge-sen (short for Game Centre, i.e. arcade), which gives nice details, pictures etc. of 100 arcade games. On the right, an 80's home game book in the same style.

dscf3251p.th.jpg

FamiComplete - a complete guide to Famicom games, in two volumes.

dscf3245.th.jpg

Yu Suzuki Game Works. Well known book, covers five of Yu Suzuki's arcade games, and includes Dreamcast versions of each (Outrun, Space Harrier, Power Drift, After Burner II and Hang-on. Notably, Power Drift runs at 60fps, which is the only home version to do so.

dscf3254s.th.jpg

I picked up this Old Gamers book a while back, as you can see it's Volume 1, Action Games. Covers said games on FC, SFC, MD and PCE. Next volume is on RPGs.

On the right, Electronic Game Collectors. Very interesting collection of machines from the past, with rarity and price guides. Not sure what to make of the price guide though.

I also have a few other arcade art books, but I don't have photos of them yet.

Advertisement