Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me please!

• 22-11-2010 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I'm a 17 year old. I am "currently in 5th year" (haven't been to school in 2 months)

To be blunt, I really don't know what to do with my life anymore.

Ever since the start of 3rd year, I started to miss a lot of school, not do homework, study very little (I find it nearly impossible) etc.

All throughout my life I have been told I am intelligent, but lazy.
    I have potential, but like millions others, I never put it to use.

I ****ing despise school. I am always playing catch up, and it's completely my fault. I just don't know where to go from here.
    I missed over 60 days of school in 3rd year, and deservingly, got a mediocre Junior certificate.

I decided to do Transition year. One of the biggest regrets in my life. A complete doss year, and I failed on attendance. No homework, no motivation etc. (2-3 months absence)
    My year head had faith in me, and she fought against expelling me, and I let her down.

For my age, I believe I am quite skilled with Computers, and I am very interested in them. I'd love a career in computers, but I'm a drop out.

I've heard that Youthreach is the equivalent of the Leaving Cert? Is that true? I'm not up on a high horse, forgive me please, I don't mean to stereo-type, but:
    You get paid to attend. It seems like theres a catch, or something. Like it's for stupid people, or drug addicts.

I'm not saying I'm better then the people who are in it! But why do they pay you, to get an education?

I just want a time machine, to start 3rd year again. :(

Comments

Simple as this, its 300 points for computer applications in DCU, hardly the most unattainable feat in the history of the world. Focus on 2 subjects and get at least C3's in them in Honours, pass 4 others and you'll be on your way.

Also, stop being a moany bitch, nobody liked school, stick it out or else you'll end up doing nothing with your life and only regretting that you didn't put in 2 years work, you can pick your own game up by putting in work NOW, its only 2 months into fifth year and the way you seem to be going is the wrong way, change your mentality and focus on your educational life rather than your social life, fifth year isn't the study year, but the practical year, get to know the course and get to grips with it, get a mentality set for 6th year that you get to be what you want to be and that only you can change it, implement a study schedule and stop thinking its impossible.

One more thing, tell your parents to make you go to school, they're doing you no favours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your school and family have badly let you down by putting up with your absences.

Youthreach is generally (though not always) for people who have had difficulties in the school system. What they get paid is a training allowance, though you'd hardly go mad on it and it is docked if you don't attend. Many families depend on that allowance, small as it is.

I don't know of any YR centres that do the standard LC, though there may well be some. Mostly they do the LCA which is a 2 year programme. As you start getting credits for your final mark from the first week of the two years and all credits rely on a minimum of 90% attendance, I'm not sure you at the moment with your head where it is would have any success.

Your standard of literacy indicates you would be well able for the standard LC, so your problem is not ability, but attitude and a school and family who don't seem bothered enough to tackle your nonsense. I would suggest you get back to school and put your money where your mouth is. If you are good at computers, show people how much you want to get a course in computers.

Don't end up one of those oul' lads in pubs coulda woulda shoulda-ing about how good they were at school and could have done anything. There are enough kids who have learning difficulties truly struggling with the Leaving, but still attending every day and trying their best. To see someone who is well able but lazy is kind of galling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

It sounds like you're just looking for an easy way out. 5th and 6th year are the worst 2 years of everyones lives. You get depressed. You hate everyone and everything. It sucks. We've all been there, and most of us got through it. Frankly, your going to end up on the dole for the rest of your life if you dont get up off your ass now and do some work.
    This country is f*cked to say the least, and will be for a long time... You wont get ANYWHERE worthwhile in life without a degree that you can put on your CV. So just get up, do your work, and get the hell out as soon as you can.

Imagine yourself in 10 years, looking back at yourself. You're going to either think "Why the f*ck was I such a lazy idiot?" or your going to think "Ok, those 2 years were terrible, but at least it got me somewhere in life."

Its either these 2 years of hardship followed by a life of relative ease, or 70 more years of depression and regret... Choose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... a moany bitch ...
    I don't want to see this kind of terminology being used in this forum, thanks.

One can express an opinion robustly without descending to calling people names.

And on a personal level, I would tend to agree with the robust responses you have received, OP.

This is your life, you're 17 and on the cusp of adulthood, you need to cop yourself on and take responsibility for yourself.

Would applying to start 5th year again next year in a different school be an option?

One way or another, you need to make a fresh start. Making that start in a new environment might leave it slightly easier, but it won't go anywhere unless you yourself are determined to change your ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LouiseZ

It's only the end of November! The LC's not until June. You've got plenty of time to cop yourself on and get a decent Leaving Cert. Fine you're not going to get 600 points but you can do well. Two girls in my school last year did the LC in one year and got over 550 points. One had anorexia in 5th year and missed from November to May of that year. She ended up getting 555, and she was by no means an outstanding student before that, it was just simple hard work. The other was a mature student who came back to repeat, and got 590 after getting 350 the first time!..My advice is to get back to school, even simply just attending classes, not doing too much study outside school hours, could get you 300 points. And then you'll have a course you want and one that you are genuinely interested in. But it's no use all of us telling you what to do (and it’s no use calling people moany bitches either), it's your life and you gotta do it for yourself. But just think, once this year's over you'll never have to do school ever again! :D
    And I’m sure there’s other courses here that have lower points if 300 points isn’t attainable:
    http://www.cao.ie/courses.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Youthreach is really only for people who can't read and stuff.

Basically there really no easy way to put it, go back to school or screw up the rest of your life. Simple as. It doesn't matter if you don't know what you want to do, thats only a reason to do even better so you won't be excluded from courses in the future. School is hard for everyone, but you still have to go.
    Not going back in this economic climate is suicide. 300-350 points is in no way unattainable, if you work hard you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭happyfish

Don't panic!
    Your junior cert doesn't matter at all,I know loads of people myself included who got crap junior certs and went on to get good leaving certs just because we put the work in and went into school everyday!
    Its only 2 months into 5th year you've ages left to catch up just make a real effort to miss as little school as possible and do all your homework, I know how hard it is but you can do it:D
    Don't go to youthreach, I'm not trying to be a snob about it but I do know my cousin who is really smart went there and ended up getting kicked out cause she was so bored!
    Good luck hope it all works out for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Suck it up the f*ck

Suck it up the f*ck
    Completely unhelpful response; nor do we need that type of language / abrasive style of dealing with other posters.

Infracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

Wow, I'm shocked at the harsh responses.
    I was exactly the same as you from second to fifth year. I was having an awful time and wouldn't have gotten out of bed for a free cake and nice shoe party, let alone school. Just suggesting that school might not be the issue...

However, when I thought about what life would be like if I just left with a dire leaving cert I copped on a fair bit. If you can't hack school I don't think you'd be able to hack a job where you have no freedom and awful pay, because that is all you'll get without further education.

It is so good that you have an idea about what you'd like to do, look into details of the courses that would qualify you for that and read up on college life in whatever college offers that course. That really motivated me to put some work in.

To me, youthreach is a last resort. A lot of people I know who went to it were what schools would class as "difficult". My friend went and got bullied by most of her class.

Hope you decide to stay on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Simple as this, its 300 points for computer applications in DCU, hardly the most unattainable feat in the history of the world. Focus on 2 subjects and get at least C3's in them in Honours, pass 4 others and you'll be on your way.

Also, stop being a moany bitch, nobody liked school, stick it out or else you'll end up doing nothing with your life and only regretting that you didn't put in 2 years work, you can pick your own game up by putting in work NOW, its only 2 months into fifth year and the way you seem to be going is the wrong way, change your mentality and focus on your educational life rather than your social life, fifth year isn't the study year, but the practical year, get to know the course and get to grips with it, get a mentality set for 6th year that you get to be what you want to be and that only you can change it, implement a study schedule and stop thinking its impossible.

One more thing, tell your parents to make you go to school, they're doing you no favours.

+1

I was the same as you. However I was made to go to school. Didnt do any work however. I managed to get 5A's just by doing subjects I liked and are similar. Ap Maths, Maths and physics are all fairly interlinked. You dont nessesarily have to be a good student to get through the leaving cert.

However when you go to college its a whole different ball game. Youll get eaten alive with your attitude. its not a degree factory and is far more based on hard work rather than youre aptitude. I found that out the hard way and flunked miserably using up 2 years of grants and when I decided to cop on it was too late, and I couldnt afford to go back. Dont fall into the same trap as me. No one will care of your view point or difficulties you find studying etc.. when going for a job.

Its a pity to see people with good aptitudes constantly falling into this trap. I personally blame the system for making it so tedious and labour intensive. But the masses have to be catered for and we are all doing the same thing so you cannot argue that the system is unfair.

People with aptitude and genuine intelligence are needed in this country, I feel that there are too many people out there with degrees and in good jobs with very little in the way of intelligence or creativity,and its making us an unattractive economy. I urge you to do your best to knuckle down for a few years and just try and be part of this system. When you get into the labour force then this intelligence you say you have will be quickly spotted and you will soon be successful and a few years of torture will seem so so worth it.

That youthreach thing to is an absolute joke, Iv heard of a few people doing it and all are complete and utter scumbags, and as far as I know just did it because they get more doing this than on the dole. Hope this doesnt cause offence, just speaking from the little I know of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

I'm a 17 year old. I am "currently in 5th year" (haven't been to school in 2 months)

To be blunt, I really don't know what to do with my life anymore.

Ever since the start of 3rd year, I started to miss a lot of school, not do homework, study very little (I find it nearly impossible) etc.

All throughout my life I have been told I am intelligent, but lazy.
    I have potential, but like millions others, I never put it to use.

I ****ing despise school. I am always playing catch up, and it's completely my fault. I just don't know where to go from here.
    I missed over 60 days of school in 3rd year, and deservingly, got a mediocre Junior certificate.

I decided to do Transition year. One of the biggest regrets in my life. A complete doss year, and I failed on attendance. No homework, no motivation etc. (2-3 months absence)
    My year head had faith in me, and she fought against expelling me, and I let her down.

For my age, I believe I am quite skilled with Computers, and I am very interested in them. I'd love a career in computers, but I'm a drop out.

I've heard that Youthreach is the equivalent of the Leaving Cert? Is that true? I'm not up on a high horse, forgive me please, I don't mean to stereo-type, but:
    You get paid to attend. It seems like theres a catch, or something. Like it's for stupid people, or drug addicts.

I'm not saying I'm better then the people who are in it! But why do they pay you, to get an education?

I just want a time machine, to start 3rd year again. :(

Oh my god ... i have hardly ve been in school in 3rd year ... passed everything on ordinary and didn't go below C in any of the subjects .AH 5th year , failed all my subjects in final 5th year exams , just started to study a bit , month after xmas in 6th year .. and passed everything including 3 Honours subjects and didn't get a grade below C2 .. got 340 .. Repeating now .. So is it impossible ? NO its not .. its easy...banal id say , so come on ... :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Youthreach is really only for people who can't read and stuff.

That's not true.

A person doing their Leaving in a Youthreach centre is well able to read, as are people in the LCA, ordinary level classes or (for some board.ies) the 'ultimate horror of horrors' foundation level. Just because someone does not fit into the 'standard' educational pattern, does not mean they are stupid or less able.

Yes, many students in Youthreach centres may have had difficulties in school-based classes, but it does not mean they are stupid or any less deserving of a fair go in education.

I'm getting very sick of the elitist nonsense on these forums and the out and out inaccuracies and lies regarding courses most boards.ies know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Youthreach does not sound like the place for you. Also your school must refer you on, you cannot just start there. They don't (as far as I know) do the traditional LC. Have you ever gone to a career guidance teacher or even a mentor? I know people might turn up their noses at such people but they can really work. You sound very bright but, as you said yourself, lazy. This is such a shame. Get motivated either on your own (which does not have appeared to have worked in the past) or visit a professional who will do this for you. Also, how have you gotten away without attending school? Get your parents to make you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

spurious wrote: »
    That's not true.

A person doing their Leaving in a Youthreach centre is well able to read, as are people in the LCA, ordinary level classes or (for some board.ies) the 'ultimate horror of horrors' foundation level. Just because someone does not fit into the 'standard' educational pattern, does not mean they are stupid or less able.

Yes, many students in Youthreach centres may have had difficulties in school-based classes, but it does not mean they are stupid or any less deserving of a fair go in education.

I'm getting very sick of the elitist nonsense on these forums and the out and out inaccuracies and lies regarding courses most boards.ies know nothing about.

I'm literally going on the clips I've seen of it on TV. They were doing phonics. I'm not saying that makes them stupid at all it just means so far school hasn't worked out and good on them for giving it another go, its just it doesn't seem like the place to go if you had goals past secondary. You probably know more about it then me now though.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

Hey, I'm a 3rd year law student!

I wanted to be a science teacher but didnt work for my leaving and ended up doing a PLC and it was the best thing that ever happened me, but a leaving cert makes the world a much easier place to be.

OP my best friend hated school, dossed the whole time, but sat 5 subjects and got 180 points! she did a PLC in international airline studies and hated it so dropped out

worked for 4 years, last year she did a PLC in social care cause she had met alot of people while she was dossing and doing nothing, people that the system forgot, that didnt feel like doing their leaving cert, just did drugs etc, and wanted to make a difference...

she ended up loving that WAY more than school and is now doing social work in uni in london.

another friend of mine is 32 and going back to do his leaving cert... think about that

honestly school is NOT for everyone, it's full of boring subjects that you'll prob never use, but honestly do your leaving cert or do leaving cert applied

with the country the way it is, you will be eaten alive without either of those and then after you can do what ever you want... you just have a year and a half to go

I'm a complete stranger, it doesnt effect me what you do either way but i've seen it 1000 times before...

my careers teacher in school used to say, if you're happy stacking shelves in tescos do it and we'll be happy for you, but if you want to be a teacher, nurse, doctor, engineer, you can do that too... don't sell yourself short and do what makes you happy, whatever that is.

I'm literally going on the clips I've seen of it on TV. They were doing phonics. I'm not saying that makes them stupid at all it just means so far school hasn't worked out and good on them for giving it another go, its just it doesn't seem like the place to go if you had goals past secondary. You probably know more about it then me now though.:o
    Always good to remember that what appears on TV (relevant to any subject) reflects what the reporter / editor feels will make a good shot (or sometimes their own biases) more than reality.

By the way, the use of phonics suggests to me that they may have been working with students with dyslexia, which is a specific learning disorder which affects reading ability but in no way reflects on overall intelligence. I have a good friend with severe dyslexia who can barely read, yet he regularly bamboozles me in arguments about politics, the economy ... well, almost any subject you can name, tbh. And I have a fair few letters after my name ... not that I would ever confuse that with thinking myself intelligent, btw!

Our society has some very narrow notions about intelligence ... if you're interested, google Howard Gardner / Project Zero for a well-respected alternative viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

eurokev wrote: »
    +1

I was the same as you. However I was made to go to school. Didnt do any work however. I managed to get 5A's just by doing subjects I liked and are similar. Ap Maths, Maths and physics are all fairly interlinked. You dont nessesarily have to be a good student to get through the leaving cert.

However when you go to college its a whole different ball game. Youll get eaten alive with your attitude. its not a degree factory and is far more based on hard work rather than youre aptitude. I found that out the hard way and flunked miserably using up 2 years of grants and when I decided to cop on it was too late, and I couldnt afford to go back. Dont fall into the same trap as me. No one will care of your view point or difficulties you find studying etc.. when going for a job.

Its a pity to see people with good aptitudes constantly falling into this trap. I personally blame the system for making it so tedious and labour intensive. But the masses have to be catered for and we are all doing the same thing so you cannot argue that the system is unfair.

People with aptitude and genuine intelligence are needed in this country, I feel that there are too many people out there with degrees and in good jobs with very little in the way of intelligence or creativity,and its making us an unattractive economy. I urge you to do your best to knuckle down for a few years and just try and be part of this system. When you get into the labour force then this intelligence you say you have will be quickly spotted and you will soon be successful and a few years of torture will seem so so worth it.

That youthreach thing to is an absolute joke, Iv heard of a few people doing it and all are complete and utter scumbags, and as far as I know just did it because they get more doing this than on the dole. Hope this doesnt cause offence, just speaking from the little I know of it

You heard the man people, pick subjects you like and do no work and you'll get 5 A's. Who knew?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 golly-pop

Please go back to school, and preferably repeat 5th year next year and pick subjects you like. 17 is really young, - you wont be too old doing LC in 2+ years time. To read your post you could be a graduate, - anyone can tell you are articulate and intelligent. The way things are in the country at the moment you might as well be in school for the next few years anyway. And there are lots of computer degrees around the 300/350 points mark, - which is quite achievable. But you have to get a grip and lose the negativity and put your back into it like everyone else. Get involved in school stuff, - sport, music, etc and enjoy the social part of it. PLEASE GO BACK!!! YOU CAN DO IT!! Let us know how it goes, - post once a month for support and general egging-on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

golly-pop wrote: »
    Please go back to school, and preferably repeat 5th year next year and pick subjects you like. 17 is really young, - you wont be too old doing LC in 2+ years time. To read your post you could be a graduate, - anyone can tell you are articulate and intelligent. The way things are in the country at the moment you might as well be in school for the next few years anyway. And there are lots of computer degrees around the 300/350 points mark, - which is quite achievable. But you have to get a grip and lose the negativity and put your back into it like everyone else. Get involved in school stuff, - sport, music, etc and enjoy the social part of it. PLEASE GO BACK!!! YOU CAN DO IT!! Let us know how it goes, - post once a month for support and general egging-on!
    Go back to school alr ... but the idea of repeating 5th year is THE dummest idea i ve heard this year . No offence .
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 savina10

The guys who attend YR need the time out of school to 'straighten things out' as well as get qualifications. Most of them will tell you they were happier when they were in Youthreach but.... there's a catch - it's harder to carry on up the educational ladder outside the mainstream system.So you have to chose. Is short term happiness better than a long term gain? Its not impossible to get to University but the odds will be against you and the journey will be a long one.

For what its worth, I am guessing that if motivation is your problem - this will follow you again and again and again. Get a BIG PLAN in your head and then take small steps towards it every day.You will wake up one day reaching your goal and then give yourself a HUG!!icon10.gif

As the OP seems to have gotten himself sitebanned, there's not much point continuing this conversation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement