Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Insurance / Deposit Question / Rent question

Options
  • 22-11-2010 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

1) Can anyone recommend any insurance websites/companies in Ireland (Dublin) that do tenant insurance please? I am hopefully moving to D12 or D6 within the next few weeks. So far, getcover.ie has given me a quote of €99 euro.

2) When paying a deposit/handing money over, is it better to do it via bank transfer? Or is cash the way to do it? Tbh, I am not too comfortable with handing cash over. I thought maybe a bank transfer would be better as it leaves me with proof should any issues/problems arise with landlord/deposit (I am not saying there will be a problem, but just in case lol).

Also, the monthly rent, is bank transfer the way to pay it, or is cash the way to go?

Also, this is my first time moving from home, so is there anything I am missing? (that I have to pay for)

Tenant Insurance
    Monthly bills + rent
    Yearly charge for oil/gas

Also, grocery shopping, does each tenant do their own shopping or does everyone put money together for a 'house shopping list'? I understand cleaning items for the house are shared, but I'm talking about food/toiletries etc.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

1. I get my contents insurance from RSA (thru Cornmarket) and it costs me €130. €99 is about right, if not cheap.

2. Ive always paid cash. Get a receipt for the deposit and you should be fine.

3. Rent is usually paid by standing order. Leaves a traceable trail with the bank (landlord cant say that the rent wasnt paid when it was) and its done without having to think about it.

As for food its up to you and who you live with. If youre living with mates/housemates then typically youll buy your own food mostly. If with a partner then its usually shared. Youll work out an agreement with who you live with as to how to handle it. You might share certain items such as milk, butter, tea etc and then buy whatever else you want yourself.

I think you have it covered for a start. My outgoings are rent, ESB, UPC (tv and broadband). Some places might charge seperately for the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Regarding deposit if you pay cash just make sure you are given a recipt when you hand it over....don't let them say they'll post it on later.

If you have a tv you will need a tv licence, even if they tv is for playing computer games or is broken you need a licence. Usually with house shares the cost is split amongest everyone if the tv is in a communal area like a sitting room but if only one person has a tv and it's in their room then they should pay for it. If everyone has their own tv you only need one licence to cover the whole house.

With food shopping it's down to the people in the house. I've had house shares were we did one big shop every week and had a kitty for food and cleaning supplies etc and house shares were everyone just had their own press in the kitchen and shelf in the fridge and looked after themselves. Have a sit down when you move in and see what peoples feelings are. Usually sharing basic things like bread, milk, butter etc and everyone pays their own food after that is common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thank you both for your replies.

Bills are 75pm (bins, tv, internet, electric/gas, etc).

Advertisement