Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No disk space. help needed

• 22-11-2010 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

just need a bit of help there. my disk space is full but i cannot delete anything its as if there is nothing to delete. ive done disk clean ups and defragmenter but nothing is working because all that shows up is things that take up tiny amounts of memory and there isnt that much of them, its driving me bleedin mental because i can't download anything any help apreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

this might help.

let us know how ya get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

?
    I might have missed something here woolymammoth, but why do you assume the OP is running linux? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Uninstall anything you don't need. Or can re-install again. Run your backup app

Then run this...
    http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

See whats taking up all the space

Then maybe this
    http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Assuming its Windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

mixer101 wrote: »
    ?
    I might have missed something here woolymammoth, but why do you assume the OP is running linux? :confused:
    You can boot up on a linux disk. Then you can run some stuff from the CD....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

What version of windows do you use.

What size hard drive do you have (Does it show up as 1 or 2 hard drives under "My Computer").

Is it a desktop or laptop.

Download, install and run ccleaner to clear up some space.

If you have more than one user account run it under each account.

Go to Control Panel -> Add remove programs and look at the list of programs.
    Uninstall any that you dont need.

You can also Reduce the size of the disk used for System restore (if its enabled) and the recycle bin, but I will give you instructions once I have more info.

• Advertisement

mixer101 wrote: »
    ?
    i never said it would help him.. ;) not initially anyway. Why do you assume the OP is running Windows? It's not in the Windows forum!

He doesn't tell us a damn thing, people make too many assumptions when they post looking for help. They assume that magically everyone here knows exactly what they have. I'm 100% certain he's using Windows. But it would be nice if the guy told us, and the version, ya know?

He might be using a Mac, and iPod, or even a mobile phone tbh.

Ccleaner +1 good idea (if windows)

If it was linux I doubt he'd be asking for help. He be telling you why linux is so great.

BostonB wrote: »
    If it was linux I doubt he'd be asking for help. He be telling you why linux is so great.
    hah! true :)

unless it was someone who bought one of those cheap linux netbooks! I've seen it happen.. "it doesn't work. why won't it work like my other computer.. fix it.. fix it!!!"

You're not denying he'd be telling us why linux is great though. :D

BostonB wrote: »
    You're not denying he'd be telling us why linux is great though. :D
    lets face it, anybody who intentionally installs linux usually thinks it's great! :P haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

TreeSize is a good app to see what is taking up the space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 shano_46

tanks for d help lads. ya its a laptop and vista on it . tried uninstall programs and got d same crak ders f***k all to delete there. wont let me download dat linux yolk eider there

shano_46 wrote: »
    wont let me download dat linux yolk eider there
    yeah.. don't worry 'bout that one :D

Install treeSize there, it's a great little app. Tells you the size of files and folders. All you'd need is to compare that to what you know the disk size should be.

So, how big is the hard disk in the laptop? And, how big does Windows say it is? how much does windows say is used? see if ya can attach a few screenshots of those. It could be something failry innocent and simple, or Windows could be corrupt, or the disk could be fecked..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jholland79

It was mentioned earlier that the drive might be in two partitions.
    If you click Start, Run and enter diskmgmt.msc, you will see a graphical representation of your disk(s).
    If it is the case that your hard Drive is full, you really should consider upgrading the drive. Whatever space you free up now will soon be used up. It will also be difficult to defrag a drive that's too full ,which will cause performance problems too.
    Also, I would highly recommend not to disable system restore.

shano_46 wrote: »
    tanks for d help lads. ya its a laptop and vista on it . tried uninstall programs and got d same crak ders f***k all to delete there. wont let me download dat linux yolk eider there

Did you run treesize?

Advertisement