Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turtle romance

Options
  • 22-11-2010 5:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I'm just wondering at what age are yellow-bellied sliders able to reproduce? My boy is only just gone a year old, the girl is about 15 months i think. He spends most of his day fanning his claws at her; she spends most of her time shaking her head in disgust and pecking at him when she gets really fed up of his advances, but he doesn't seem to be getting the message.

However once or twice in the last week I have caught him up on top of her and attempting to get it on. I was horrified ( I hadn't been 100 per cent sure he was a boy until I saw the evidence appear from his tail!).

So my question is - do I need to start worrying about an egg-laying area etc or are they too young for anything to happen? Is this just harmless teenage fumbling? Or should I put a small packet of extra-small durex in their basking area just in case?:)

They're stuck in a 180L for at least another year so I could do without them starting a family...Don't they know there's a recession on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

:D I really enjoyed reading this story!! Hope you get your answer soon before any new members join the family!

(I was told by a pet shop owner, that turtles need an aquarium half the size of the pet shop to be happy to mate!):confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

Hi

My turtle laid two eggs last year but they ate them as they had no where to bury them. I wasnt expecting babies.

If the egg gets moved at all after its laid then the turtle will die, so you need an area for them to bury it. I also found some egg shells when I was cleaning the tank out a few weeks about before putting them in for hibernation.

I had to seperate them because the female one kept attacking the male so that should put a stop to the babies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

ha ha funny stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

I know this is an old thread, but please, if anyone ends up with any turtle eggs, please make sure that they're binned! Ireland has a huge problem with excess turtles being dumped in lakes and rivers, abandoned and dying through lack of care. They're being rehomed all of the time and pet shops still sell them at €20 a piece when they're smaller than the palm of your hand because they're 'cute' with very little info....

Advertisement