Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Attempt at HDR

• 22-11-2010 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

I know that this is not everybody's taste. Blasphemy I hear shouts of from some of the purists.

But I took a trip to the Botanic Gardens yesterday and had a go at some HDR photography. Some C&C welcome.

5194603053_2f0ebf5c61.jpg

5195238628_35403e07ac.jpg

5195200712_5632b7613f.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Nice shots.
    HDR is a bit odd though, i can never understand why some people get so worked up about it. I've never tried it myself, maybe someday.
    But these shots are nice, i like the second one most if i were to pick one out.
    1st one is a bit on the bleak side, the third one, i love the clouds, very apocalyptic looking.
    nice shots overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sbkfan10

I think that the first 1 is a bit bright, maybe bring ot down a stop. For me HDR works great with a moody sky as in #3.

I assume that you used photomatix?

Well done and happy snapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

paulusdu wrote: »
    Nice shots.
    HDR is a bit odd though, i can never understand why some people get so worked up about it. I've never tried it myself, maybe someday.
    But these shots are nice, i like the second one most if i were to pick one out.
    1st one is a bit on the bleak side, the third one, i love the clouds, very apocalyptic looking.
    nice shots overall.

Agree with you on the HDR paulusdu. I think photos are very futuristic/ comic type. But I have to say it is growing on me a little.
    sbkfan10 wrote: »
    I think that the first 1 is a bit bright, maybe bring ot down a stop. For me HDR works great with a moody sky as in #3.

I assume that you used photomatix?

Well done and happy snapping.

sbkfan10 - yeah I used photomatix. Again first time using it so it will take a bit of time tricking about with it. I love the skies that it produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Great shots balfey,did you find using photomatix easy..would be great to see some bike shots done this way :)

hoganpoly wrote: »
    Great shots balfey,did you find using photomatix easy..would be great to see some bike shots done this way :)

hoganpoly - just used the standard settings. It does give you a nice few templates as standard and you can add to this. Like all software I am sure there is alot you can do with it but it is not bad straight out of the box.

I bet the bike photos would look great in the too.
    Roll on the Skerries 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

hoganpoly wrote: »

How would HDR bike shots work? Don't you need a static subject? Fine if they're parked! :)

kelly1 wrote: »
    How would HDR bike shots work? Don't you need a static subject? Fine if they're parked! :)

Kelly1 - One of the guys told me that you can do this with a raw image.
    Edit it in lighthroom and save it as three file types with different exposures.
    Worth a try I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

get cracking on it ,would love to see the result...heres one static shot
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35614822@N08/3401859305/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Balfey1972 wrote: »
    Kelly1 - One of the guys told me that you can do this with a raw image.
    Edit it in lighthroom and save it as three file types with different exposures.
    Worth a try I suppose.
    Yes, that's pseudo HDR. I don't think it would work very well if contrast is very high. You'd have too much noise from the shadows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

# 3 for me.

Nice work. It does look like the sky is very important in these shots for impact.

So if it works on bikes it would work well on some of the cars around our patch? Theres an idea.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Fabulous set. Beautiful. I found myself just re-looking at 1 and 2 and ignoring 3 as it takes a little from the strenght, as a set, that 1 and 2 have going on together.

I'd love to see them in print on a wall, my hallway preferably:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

I love them, Balfey, especially 1 and 2.
    2 is absolutely stunning :)
    Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Love the second shot, looks spot on in my opinion. I can never get the hang of HDR and I think it is very easy to over do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I wouldn't normally like HDR's that cooked, but for some reason I do... nice one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

I think these are a good example of nice hdr, well done. Hdr is not all bad, it can help at this time of the year when the light is dull and gloomy. 1 and 2 are great.

Advertisement