Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The PL a 4 horse race ?

• 22-11-2010 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

With only 3 points separating the top four teams, is it a 4 horse race?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

It's about a 7 or 8 horse race tbh, yet again it looks like the traditional "big teams" don't want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Chelsea and United yet again imo. The premiership the worlds most exciting league :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Loos like a 6 horse race for the CL places and if Liverpool get their shiz together you can make that 7.Still think Chelsea are favorites for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

At the business end it will probably be Chelsea/United, but right now its a funny looking league table with 4 defeats already for the leaders, United only winning half their games but only behind on goal difference. Arsenal losing 3 at home yet still only 2 points behind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

i wouldnt rule liverpool out of the league yet,a few wise signings in january and they will be very much in the running.

9 points is nothing with the way results have been going.every team is capable of beating each other.

with the exception of west ham,there useless!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Premier League is the new Championship. Dunno what everyone is moaning about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think it's going to be a two horse race in the end Utd and Chelsea no team has won the league with more then five losses in a season and going by that it will be United and there excellent defense which will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I think it's going to be a two horse race in the end Utd and Chelsea no team has won the league with more then five losses in a season and going by that it will be United and there excellent defense which will win it.

United's excellent defence have conceded as many goals as arsenals so far this year.

And here's something weird I just noticed there. All of the top three have scored the exact same number of goals at home and away (17 at home for each and 11 away)

playa3 wrote: »
    United's excellent defence have conceded as many goals as arsenals so far this year.

And here's something weird I just noticed there. All of the top three have scored the exact same number of goals at home and away (17 at home for each and 11 away)
    Conspiracy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Don't rule out the mighty Bolton. :D

• Advertisement

Chelsea lost 6 last year, United also lost 6 in 1996

Chelsea lost 6 last year, United also lost 6 in 1996
    Touché

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it's at best a three horse race between Chelsea, United and Arsenal. I think a fit Van Persie would ensure that Arsenal are in the race. I think United are still amazingly unbeaten, and their defence is getting stronger and stronger, and if Rooney can regain form quickly, we can build up some steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Not really horses this year is it? More like old nags I would have thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

PHB wrote: »
    I think it's at best a three horse race between Chelsea, United and Arsenal. I think a fit Van Persie would ensure that Arsenal are in the race. I think United are still amazingly unbeaten, and their defence is getting stronger and stronger, and if Rooney can regain form quickly, we can build up some steam.

IMO Van Persie will not go without another injury til the end of the season, unless he is used wisely. And defensively I think they are still too dodgy.
    I believe if City start to play a bit more attacking they will be there or there abouts come May.
    I think United, yes I am a United fan, could nearly be favourites at the moment. They have Chelsea and Arsenal in the one week in 3 weeks I think and if United can get 4 points out of that I will be quite confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

PHB wrote: »

This.

I think it will be these three and us ( Chelsea ) to retain it. Saying that its gonna be very close again this year, ervy time Arsenal build up a few good results they blow, United have to turn more draws into wins and Chelsea have to regain form, stating the obviouis i know, but its going to come down to a team outting a good 7-10 wins on the spin together and its up to the rest to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Essien wrote: »
    It's about a 7 or 8 horse race tbh, yet again it looks like the traditional "big teams" don't want it.

I really hate Alan Smith for introducing this pointless phrase every time a "big team" drops points.

So, do United, Chelsea, etc go out and say "f*ck it, we don't really want to win this league, lets not try to win today"

Touché

Sorry to nitpick :D

6 losses would appear to be the limit though....cant really see United/Chelsea losing 7 8 or 9 games and still being champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I think it's between 5 teams:

United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and City.

I think the last 3 will be out of the race by March.

I think Chelsea to win with us maybe 3/4 points behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I really hate Alan Smith for introducing this pointless phrase every time a "big team" drops points.

So, do United, Chelsea, etc go out and say "f*ck it, we don't really want to win this league, lets not try to win today"

Absolutely, because both myself and Alan Smith meant it to be taken literally when we said it.

By the way I was being sarcastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Sorry to nitpick :D

6 losses would appear to be the limit though....cant really see United/Chelsea losing 7 8 or 9 games and still being champions.

I can so long as United keep drawing / squandering leads!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

I don't know about a four horse race to be honest. Perhaps over the years we have seen the league dominated by the likes of United, Chelsea and Arsenal.
    This season has shown that the so called lesser teams have improved somewhat. The likes of West Brom and Newcastle beating Arsenal, West Ham and Wigan beating Spurs and Sunderland and Birmingham beating Chelsea prove that nothing can be taken for granted by the "big" teams anymore.
    It is my opnion that almost all the teams in the premier league are prepared to play attacking, entertaining football, unlike in Italy where it seems it is more important not to lose.
    As a Spurs fan I wouldn't really label us as title contenders this season at least. Then on the other hand, we seem to have quality players in most positions and overall have a squad as good as any of the other teams do, so why shouldn't we be thought of as contenders?
    Any team that can go on a bit of a run between now and Janurary will be hard to catch. So who knows, maybe come May it will still be a 5 or 6 horse race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Arsenal will poop their jocks.

Man City may be dark horses. We'll have to see how they develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Unless Mancini grows a pair, i don't see anyone other than Chelsea winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I see 4 involved man utd, chelsea, arsenal and man city. Vermalen back for arsenal could transform their defence, if man city let loose like the weekend they will be a force, chelsea need their best 11 back and united need rooney to find last years form. I don't believe spur's defence is good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

orourkeda wrote: »
    Arsenal will poop their jocks.

Arsenal are stronger than last year, so they will do better than many think, Utd and chelsea will be there and possibly city if they actually start playing football rather than trench warfare.
    Spurs not strong enough. Gallas at the back:eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement