Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence Thread Megamerge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

An aerial is not enough. As said many times you can use an aerial for non TV applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 whalemeat27

whiteman19 wrote: »
    Quick question, is a satellite dish by itself enough to warrant getting a tv licence?
    it was there when i moved in, but all there is is the cable going into the sitting room, but no tv or box, just the dish.

previous tenants also had UPC installed but since that's no longer active, that wouldn't count, right?

housemate's just a bit worried, but she put doubt in my mind that all you needed was the dish, not just something capable of decoding the signal.

I presume your renting?? you are not obliged to buy a TV licence , that is The job of your landlord..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I presume your renting?? you are not obliged to buy a TV licence , that is The job of your landlord..
    No it is the job of those that reside in the property.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html
    Rented accommodation

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation with a television you must have a television licence. This applies irrespective of who owns the television (whether the television belongs to you or the landlord). The law states that anyone resident on a premises in possession of a television set must have a television licence.

^ My brother is renting, his landlord pays for tv licence :confused:

That's nice of the landlord.

• Advertisement

I guess sooooooooooo..

Anyway I'm not buying a TV license , TV man called here already.
    I told him too get off my property Or else I WILL KICK YOUR FACE IN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

^ My brother is renting, his landlord pays for tv licence :confused:

If landlord supplies the TV then he must pay the licence fee.

Jaysus that reminds me, when I moved in there was/is an old portable tv left on the premesis......mmmmmm.

Anyhoo what pisses me off more than the fact that you have to pay for RTE' s ****e programming (which I can't receive anyway) is the fact that the cnuts get advertising revenue as well.
    So we are supposed to pay for the privilege of having unwanted adverts beamed into your living room. Typical Irish way of doing things - shaft you twice and use the full apparatus of the state to enforce you to pay for what is essentially a private company run by cronyism and greed.

How many of the righteous brigade are pleased that their exorbitant licence fee went up a certain overpaid presenters late nostrils (allegedly). :mad:

Humans eh! wrote: »
    Did you not read my post 4/5 posts above? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

god wouldn't ya get sick of all the "I shouldn't have to pay for the licence" rabble? :rolleyes:

thanks to all for the info :) hopefully we'll be there the next time the inspector comes and can explain about the satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I guess sooooooooooo..

Anyway I'm not buying a TV license , TV man called here already.
    I told him too get off my property Or else I WILL KICK YOUR FACE IN!!!
    Yeah you did. Threatening violence too, eh?

Jaysus that reminds me, when I moved in there was/is an old portable tv left on the premesis......mmmmmm.
    No he doesn't! You are the one in possession of the TV even if you have no legal ownership of it so it is your responsibility to ensure the TV is licensed. The inspector won't be sending the summons to your landlord while you're still a tenant.
    Anyhoo what pisses me off more than the fact that you have to pay for RTE' s ****e programming (which I can't receive anyway) is the fact that the cnuts get advertising revenue as well.
    So we are supposed to pay for the privilege of having unwanted adverts beamed into your living room. Typical Irish way of doing things - shaft you twice and use the full apparatus of the state to enforce you to pay for what is essentially a private company run by cronyism and greed.

How many of the righteous brigade are pleased that their exorbitant licence fee went up a certain overpaid presenters late nostrils (allegedly). :mad:

FFS you'd swear Ireland was the only country that has a TV licence that supports state broadcasting with ads. Try moving to France where you need a €118 licence for TV even if you don't receive broadcasts (e.g dvd use only), they have ads on state TV too and you must declare your tv on your income tax forms!

If you think Ireland's €160 licence fee is exorbitant try these countries, many of which have far higher populations and economy of scale (so you'd expect they'd be cheaper):
    Demark €303.35
    Finland €244.90
    Germany €204.36
    Iceland €213.50
    Norway €314.78
    Switzerland €360.65
    and our neighbours UK €174.99

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Threatening violence too, eh?

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

ok, if im living in a house of my own, and i own a tv, but this tv is in my parents house in the attic, in storage. there is no tv on my own premises.

a tv licence inspector calls to my house and asks "do i have a television?"

i claim "yes i do", he then writes me a docket for 160 euro and walks off, keep in mind he did not enter the house for inspection, and did not ask any further questions.

shortly after that when i discovered that you need a tv licence even if its in storage/not in use ... i sold it rigth away for 20 euro and i have proof of selling it, a receipt.

now of coarse i never paid for the licence, as its extortion, so now ive a summons for court. would you rekon ive a case against them? im gona plead not gulity, and try and explain the situation.

what ye reckon ?

what ye reckon ?
    You are guilty by your own admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

cheers. so if i pay it now and ring up the tv licence department and sort it out, will that get the case struck out and maybe i wont have to go to court after all ?

cheers. so if i pay it now and ring up the tv licence department and sort it out, will that get the case struck out and maybe i wont have to go to court after all ?
    I think they hit you with a fee for their legal fees to settle out of court. Can't remember how much though.

if you don't want a day out in court 60 euro fee . I'm speaking from experience here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

Is it possible to ask UPC to block all RTE channels [as we don't watch them at all]? We don't have an aerial attached to the one TV set either so technically if UPC blocked them we wouldn't have any means of receiving RTE broadcasts, and if an inspector called we'd be happy to demonstrate this.

Legally speaking we wouldn't have to pay a TV/RTE licence? Yes?

It should be called an RTE licence, not a TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

policeman wrote: »
    Is it possible to ask UPC to block all RTE channels [as we don't watch them at all]? We don't have an aerial attached to the one TV set either so technically if UPC blocked them we wouldn't have any means of receiving RTE broadcasts, and if an inspector called we'd be happy to demonstrate this.

Legally speaking we wouldn't have to pay a TV/RTE licence? Yes?

It should be called an RTE licence, not a TV licence.

No, once you have a device capable of receiving a tv signal, you need a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

This seems to be the place to put this,

Received a summons this morning to my friends - addressed to me at her address which she signed for! I've never resided at that address.

She assumed i had the letter sent there, like it was something i didn't want my parents seeing

I remember a tv inspector knocking a few months back when i was babysitting. I told him i didn't live there and he said ok and took my name and told me to let the owner know he called!

Any idea's where i stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

source wrote: »
    No, once you have a device capable of receiving a tv signal, you need a licence.

Do I need a TV licence for my mobile phone ????

Have watched live TV on it using different apps - so technically it has the capability of receiving a signal ?

Also - just a note, I have been told that the TV licence is being phased out - source is someone who works in RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

rev2.0 wrote: »
    I remember a tv inspector knocking a few months back when i was babysitting. I told him i didn't live there and he said ok and took my name and told me to let the owner know he called!
    Remember to never give out your personal details to anyone unless you are 100% sure what it is being used for.
    rev2.0 wrote: »
    Your best bet is to contact an post themselves as I dont think you can just not show up for a summons. You dont have to give them any details for who does live there etc since that is nothing to do with you. Make sure to get the details of who you talk to in an post, ideally get this in writing in case they dont pass on the info and you end up getting a judgement against you as you didnt turn up due to an post not dealing with things correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Do I need a TV licence for my mobile phone ????

Have watched live TV on it using different apps - so technically it has the capability of receiving a signal ?

Also - just a note, I have been told that the TV licence is being phased out - source is someone who works in RTE.
    Have you got a tuner on your phone that can pick up a broadcast signal? If not then at present you dont need a tv license for your phone.

In the dock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

An aerial is not enough. As said many times you can use an aerial for non TV applications.

Such as?

BrianD wrote: »
    Such as?
    Amateur radio.

Amateur radio.

You wouldn't be using a TV aerial for amateur radio. A TV aerial is readily identifiable and the TV licence man will know what he/she is looking at.

How would you know? Are you a ham?

I will say it again and aerial proves nothing.

How would you know? Are you a ham?

I will say it again and aerial proves nothing.

A TV aerial is readily identifiable. Plus they generally point in the same direction as others on the street or in the area.

The presence of the TV aerial does not prove the presence of a TV set but it is a pretty good indicator.

But still proves nothing.

• Advertisement

But still proves nothing.

It doesn't but it would be a fair indicator for the licence (wo)man to call or write.

Advertisement