Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PSU

Options
  • 22-11-2010 11:12am

http://aldi.medion.com/md8341/ie/
    I got one of these earlier in the year and think its time to upgrade the video card which will more than likely mean new PSU. I think there is a 300 or 350 watt one in there at the moment.

Are PSU's standard? So If I buy any 500 or 600 watt will it slot in fairly easily?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I got one of these earlier in the year and think its time to upgrade the video card which will more than likely mean new PSU. I think there is a 300 or 350 watt one in there at the moment.

Are PSU's standard? So If I buy any 500 or 600 watt will it slot in fairly easily?

Oh god this thread is gonna get ugly with psu fighting when Sol and curry addict come online.

yes, psu sizes are standard, should fit in perfectly.

what case are you using, and what gpu will you slot in? full specs? (so the peep can judge the correct psu accordingly.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Oh god this thread is gonna get ugly with psu fighting when Sol and curry addict come online.

yes, psu sizes are standard, should fit in perfectly.

what case are you using, and what gpu will you slot in? full specs? (so the peep can judge the correct psu accordingly.

Lol, have I opened a can of worms!

Was thinking along the lines of a GTX 460 though havent put much effort into research yet as want to sort out the PSU first.

Case is a standard Medion jobby as per http://aldi.medion.com/md8341/ie/
    Edited 1st post to include link I originally meant to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

The Width and height are but some are longer than others.
    Your best is to measure the psu you have now just to make sure its a standard size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Let us know what your budget is and where you're happy to buy from and we'll give you help if you need it in selecting a PSU/GPU.

Thanks for your advice guys
    This is the offending item:
    http://i.imgur.com/zoCZZ.jpg
    Budget wise I'm not sure, as long as its a capable 500 or 600 watt one then I'm happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's a standard low quality ATX PSU, 300W. You could get a 5750/4670/GT430/GT240 or lower. GTX460 is out of the question. You'd need a PSU almost double the value of your current one

Sorry :(

Came across this one http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5939022/art/ocz/stealthxstream-ii-700-w-p.html

Very reasonable price for a 700w I think, anyone any experience with these?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You're not going to need 700W, but that PSU should be reliable.
    Review on 600W.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Hmm... unless you've got a huge OC or a ton of HDDs in there maybe ditching the GTX460 and the PSU for a HD6850 will fit the bill... ;)

Even with HyperThreading on the i3 isn't a hugely hungry CPU - say ~5A flat out with HT on and the GPU off - and the HD6850 averages around 7A, going up to 9-10A in a few games and stress tests, and of course the odd random usage spike over that. The PSU can handle full system consumption peaks of at least 25A and the efficiency/reliability "sweet spot" would probably be between 10A and 15A. Add 2-3A for drives, fans and chipset and I still don't see the system going past 15A even running flat-out at or near stock speeds in the vast majority of games. Maybe on a bad day with a light OC Crysis:Warhead could push it up to 16A but that would really be it unless you decided to burn a DVD at the same time :D:P And any peaks above the average still have a 10-amp buffer to be absorbed in ;)

A GTX460 on the other hand... even the 768MB version can swallow 10A fully loaded and the 1GB version and its inevitable OC can run far beyond that. They might work on the FSP but I wouldn't be happy stuffing so much load on it, the further outside the comfort zone you go the lower the efficiency (so higher ESB bill), reliability and life expectancy. A system designed to draw an average of more than 70% of a PSU's max sustained load capacity at full tilt just isn't clever.

Tea_Bag wrote: »

Nah, think me and Curry will be on the same side this time, it'll be lmimmfn who'll be running in screaming on this thread :D:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Solitaire wrote: »
    Nah, think me and Curry will be on the same side this time, it'll be lmimmfn who'll be running in screaming on this thread :D:P
    limbs flailing... naturally...

Hmm... unless you've got a huge OC or a ton of HDDs in there maybe ditching the GTX460 and the PSU for a HD6850 will fit the bill... ;)

Even with HyperThreading on the i3 isn't a hugely hungry CPU - say ~5A flat out with HT on and the GPU off - and the HD6850 averages around 7A, going up to 9-10A in a few games and stress tests, and of course the odd random usage spike over that. The PSU can handle full system consumption peaks of at least 25A and the efficiency/reliability "sweet spot" would probably be between 10A and 15A. Add 2-3A for drives, fans and chipset and I still don't see the system going past 15A even running flat-out at or near stock speeds in the vast majority of games. Maybe on a bad day with a light OC Crysis:Warhead could push it up to 16A but that would really be it unless you decided to burn a DVD at the same time :D:P And any peaks above the average still have a 10-amp buffer to be absorbed in ;)

A GTX460 on the other hand... even the 768MB version can swallow 10A fully loaded and the 1GB version and its inevitable OC can run far beyond that. They might work on the FSP but I wouldn't be happy stuffing so much load on it, the further outside the comfort zone you go the lower the efficiency (so higher ESB bill), reliability and life expectancy. A system designed to draw an average of more than 70% of a PSU's max sustained load capacity at full tilt just isn't clever.

Good points, just have 2 1tb sata drives in there. Perhaps the 600w version is the one to go for so.

You have 2 1TB drives?! What else? :o

You have 2 1TB drives?! What else? :o
    lol,yeah that would be a bit bare bones doh!

Nah, I actually didn't expect you to have two HDD in there, your average Medion user will spend their lifetime filling up the first terabyte! :p Heck, even I'd have trouble filling a single 1TB HDD! :o Didn't expect you to have two lurking in there! :o

What other HDDs, fans and optical drives do you have in there? And do you know what model number those HDDs are? :) Not that it'll have a huge difference, still can't pull anywhere near 25A at peak even with the spin-up of those two drives, just wondering how much power they'd be pulling while gaming...

Advertisement