Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you level a mage if you have an 80 warlock ?

Options
  • 22-11-2010 11:28am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So im levelling up a mage at the moment before cata arrives [always wanted a mage for some reason and thought now was a good time] but its very tedious and boring to be levelling up what will be my 6th lvl 80 and countless others to mid levels.
    The dungeon finder helps but as dps its not as useful as tank or healer for obvious reasons.
    I have a warlock specced destruction atm and the more i play the mage im wondering if im wasting time as both feel very similar to play.
    Any thoughts form someone that has both at 80 or even better has raided with both?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've a lvl80 Warlock, and had recently rolled a Mage as they are so stupidly OP at the moment, but found myself getting quite bored of it to be honest. Not sure if it's just too similar to my Destro Lock, or if i'm just bored of levelling another character. I am kind of enjoying levelling a Hunter though, so i think the Mage and Lock were just too similar for my liking.

Always found Affliction to be more fun anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

I prefer my mage to my warlock, but thats purely on pvp reasons really

mage is very tedious to lvl up, 2 million frostbolts to hit 80 :D

but i changed at around lvl 50 to an AOE spec and just done 4-5 mobs at a time, stil boring but i found it alot faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Mage is one of the easiest to level up, or at least it used to be, via AOE levelling, once you've got the knack of it.
    They're considerably different to play than a Warlock (I prefer Warlock as a class to play over Mage tbh, more of a fun class to play) and a tad both overpowered and a little boring to play in pvp at the moment.
    Haven't raided much with the Warlock but found the Mage boring enough to raid with, but enjoyable if you want the big number dps outputs by just pressing a couple buttons - a little monotonous.

The class is what you make of it though, still enjoyable enough to level up.
    Level a bit in the Battlegrounds, you'll enjoy it more given the class is overpowered at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Mage is looking extremely strong for cata in both pve and pvp, warlock is looking very meh atm so go with the mage, it'll still be good even if they nerf it a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

the shattering patch is going live this week so it should make leveling more fun.

thinking of starting another my self to see all the changes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I have a warrior, then levelled a druid (2 months ago) it's currently at level 73, sitting in Undercity halfway between the auctioneer and a mailbox, I got bored of it once I hit 70, feral is too much like a rogue (had a 70 rogue and deleted it) and balance is just not supported up until you hit northrend (no itemised gear really) so other than running the Oculus 20 times a day healing or tanking I've nothing to do.

So not I have a level 20 mage being levelled through the dungeon finder and it's great fun. Aside from all the "Mages are OP" crap, they are fun to play, very direct, press a button, different coloured spell goes towards target.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Baneblade wrote: »
    the shattering patch is going live this week so it should make leveling more fun.

thinking of starting another my self to see all the changes

more info on the patch plz.

rob

copeyhagen wrote: »
    more info on the patch plz.

rob

Info

Dermighty wrote: »

cheers for reply, i should have said i cant get onto any decent mmo sites in work.

could someone copy paste notes if thats cool?

thanks

rob

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks for feedback guys,to make matters worse my druid dinged 80 the other day and the only spec i like for druid is balance, so now ive another caster to add to the mix plus my priest is another dps caster option, too many to choose from.
    If only i enjoyed mellee classes.

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    cheers for reply, i should have said i cant get onto any decent mmo sites in work.

could someone copy paste notes if thats cool?

thanks

rob

Patch 4.0.3a - The world ends this week on live servers!
    Let's confirm this, yes, Patch 4.0.3a will be deployed on live servers this week and will change the world of Azeroth forever. You only have a few hours left to say good bye to the old world (and farm try to get that stupid mount in Zul'gurub) before Deathwing decides that it needs a new look. All the information and the official patch notes are available below.

Get ready for the biggest change you ever witnessed in World of Warcraft, and enjoy!

What's in Patch 4.0.3a
    Sammew posted an interesting list of the features you should and should not expect in Patch 4.0.3a on the official forums. Zarhym also jumped in, and announced a 20% reduction to the XP required to gain levels from 71 to 80.

What is not in:
    Creating worgen/goblin characters
    Worgen/Goblin start zones
    Archeology
    Professions past 450 (Illustrious Grand Master)
    Guild leveling
    Guild achievements
    Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdor flight
    New Zones (80+)

What is in:
    Portals in Dalaran/Shattrath Removed
    Class trainers in Dalaran where portals once were
    New race-class combinations (excluding worgen/goblin)
    New Gnome/Troll starting areas
    Changes to existing zones
    New cata load screens
    New cata intro cinematic
    New cata login screen
    New music
    City Quartermasters, with rep tabards
    Bug fixes
    Class balancing
    Druids, paladins, priests, and shaman will have their talent trees reset
    Experience required to gain levels 71 through 80 is being reduced by 20%
    New tamable hunter pets (Monkey, fox, dog, and beetle, as well as new skins for existing pet classes.)

I wish I'd known the new class combinations were coming out, just started a troll mage the other day, level 22 now, probably would have levelled a troll warlock instead. Ah well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Dcully wrote: »
    So im levelling up a mage at the moment before cata arrives [always wanted a mage for some reason and thought now was a good time] but its very tedious and boring to be levelling up what will be my 6th lvl 80 and countless others to mid levels.
    The dungeon finder helps but as dps its not as useful as tank or healer for obvious reasons.
    I have a warlock specced destruction atm and the more i play the mage im wondering if im wasting time as both feel very similar to play.
    Any thoughts form someone that has both at 80 or even better has raided with both?

I had a mage before wotlk got him to 70 in tbc found it really boring compared to other classes i only had fun with him in av.I prefear my warlock to the mage.

thanks for that, re sub this weekend i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Warlock was my first 80 on Outland. Fun to level and fun to raid, however the class wasn't performing well in IceCrown for me and I moved to levelling my Druid.

I had always loved Mages ( my very first char was a mage) so I bit the bullet and levelled one to 80.

Good fun to level, a blast to raid with. Massive DPS, interesting gearing choices.

Each have dynamic differences in play style, although some similarities.

I'd say my Mage ( pre patch) was miles ahead of warlocks in terms of raid performance, however Warlocks rotation and play style is a little bit more interesting and fun.

Looking back I'm glad I have both in fairness, although they seem from the outside very similar, they do have noticable differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

I have both and raid with both...

difference at the moment is;

Mage-2 buttons
    Lock-3 buttons

Banish should be useful in Cata though, so I am gonna level my lock first,
    or maybe the druid, no no my priest..

or maybe reroll a human hunter...

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I've a Mage called Goldilocks which was my first ever character in WoW but just recently levelled her to 80.

After playing a rogue it's quite refreshing to stand back and just nuke.

At the moment I'm basically spamming 1 button but hey I'm getting old.

I like the big numbers 45k crit last night in a 5 man heroic.

Considering I'm only 80 about 2/3 weeks and havent spent any honour or justice points apart from a trinket the mage is way ahead of my rogue which has in theory much better gear.

Maybe you could recruit a friend (perhaps me! :) ) and get your mage boosted.
    Once I've got to the JP cap and levelled professions.

Cant see you levelling a mage once Cata hits though too much distraction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 UberGeneration

i would roll a mage if u got 80 lock coz mages are a total different experience! Just try it out! :)

Leveling away the mage, really liking it.
    Top dps every time in randoms, easily the best dps of any of my chars while leveling.
    Actually for the first time in 6 years enjoyed some pvp in wow, must be down to the mage?
    Im fire spec atm, loving all the aoe at my disposal.
    Might dual spec into frost for pvp.
    Also plan on sampling arcane once i hit 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

don't worry about topping meters until 85

• Registered Users Posts: 83,464 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dcully wrote: »
    Thanks for feedback guys,to make matters worse my druid dinged 80 the other day and the only spec i like for druid is balance, so now ive another caster to add to the mix plus my priest is another dps caster option, too many to choose from.
    If only i enjoyed mellee classes.
    Which have you tried?

Frost Mages (good Frost Mages) in arena are more annoying than, than... than:

• Advertisement

DRakE wrote: »
    don't worry about topping meters until 85

Ofcourse,thats a no brainer :)
    Im just saying its the best ive seen while leveling a char.
    Which have you tried?

Tried them all :)

Ive played all classes, all to 80 except Mage which is 68 now and Shammy which is 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I most certainly would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well I'm just being perverse right now and levelling a Horde side Warlock with and Alliance one being my main.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

Well im in the same boat as ropedrink.
    I have 12 lvl 80s..4 of them are full wrathful welfare epics
    5 of them are 6k gs and over

My main through wotlk was a boomkin but im tired of the class atm
    I have been gearing my Arcane mage lately and he is doing silly damage
    Deciding what toon im going to level to 85 is killin me atm.

I just cant decide what im going to do and my guild is needling me for a decision lol.

I will have to think hard about what is easier to level,what class the guild lacks,and what i feel more comfortable with.

Re: the Mage,im swapping between Fire and Arcane atm while i lvl up.
    @ lvl 75 im finding fire to be the best aoe spec and arcane the best single target dps.
    Just wondering what i can expect @ 85? more of the same?
    Some guy in trade chat was saying lastnight that fire will be the best dps for both aoe and single target end of story?

Advertisement