Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7-9 week wait on a kindle!

• 22-11-2010 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am looking to buy a Kindle as a Christmas gift. They have to be purchased from Amazon.com and you have to chose the one that allows international delivery. Problem is, they are showing a dispatch date of 7-9 weeks from now, so after Christmas obviously.

Has anyone bought one recently? Just wondering if this dispatch date is accurate?

I find Amazon normally dispatch quicker than stated on the website, but a bit worried about risking it!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I've read on a few sites that there'll be no international stock this xmas, there's stock for the uk and for the US...hopefully you have friends or relatives that can help you out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Use a UK account and address if you have a friend up north. I ordered at about 10am on Friday and it was delivered to my friends address on Saturday morning. Totally awesome. I bought a gift card too which I am going to use to fund the account and buy the UK kindle books. Tee hee hee ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Can anyone confirm it'll work perfect if i order a UK one for use here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm it'll work perfect if i order a UK one for use here?

Yes it will.

When you get it you can leave the UK address as your billing address and buy books from .co.uk site or change to your Irish address and buy from the .com address - or even switch between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kiruna

Apologies if this has already been said somewhere but does the same stand if I buy a Kindle in the US, deliver it to there and get it sent to me. Will it still function correctly in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭emo72

yea it will work okay. maybe need a power adaptor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Got one today :) Dixons in Dublin airport have them, I got the last 3G one they had. Its 127 for the regular and 173 for the 3G one.
    Just to note dixons is past security and its in T1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Jet Black wrote: »
    Got one today :) Dixons in Dublin airport have them, I got the last 3G one they had. Its 127 for the regular and 173 for the 3G one.

That's a really good price, at the current exchange rate, that's cheaper than getting it from Amazon.co.uk and without the hassle of postage etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭breeno

I didn't realise Dixons are doing them? Is that all branches or just the airport? Checked the website there and they're not listed.

Anybody know of any other bricks and mortar shops selling the Kindle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Killme00 wrote: »
    Use a UK account and address if you have a friend up north. I ordered at about 10am on Friday and it was delivered to my friends address on Saturday morning. Totally awesome. I bought a gift card too which I am going to use to fund the account and buy the UK kindle books. Tee hee hee ;)

You have to use a UK account as well as a UK shipping address? Gah. The shipping address was a big enough concern :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

TPD wrote: »
    You have to use a UK account as well as a UK shipping address? Gah. The shipping address was a big enough concern :P

You don't need to use a UK account, just a UK delivery address - I ordered one on my usual credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dog Fan

Just about to order one to a UK address. the wi-fi only version. Already ordered the cover from ebay (cart before horse situation)

I tried to order from amazon.com, but am too late for a christmas delivery.:(

Looking forward to it - pressie for my wife, but I plan to get a look in.:D

Will post later to let you know how it goes (also the whole ordering books part)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I sent someone in today for me and also picked up the 3g wifi one for 173. Cheers for that, great price!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Here is the official quote from Amazon with regard to the International Kindle's
    Hello,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused

For customers outside the U.S., we recommend the Kindle (Latest Generation, 6”) with USB only. Due to strong customer demand, Kindle is temporarily sold out for international shipments, including shipment to U.S. territories, APO, FPO and DPO addresses.

Order now to reserve your place in line at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ1Y8Q. You’ll see current availability estimates on the product detail page. Orders are prioritized on a first come, first served basis.

Currently, we are only shipping devices with a U.S. power adapter to addresses within the U.S.

Further, please note that, the latest generation Kindle and access to the Kindle store on Amazon.co.uk are only available to customers in the U.K. If Kindle is available in your location, you can place an order from www.amazon.com/kindle3G and access the Kindle store at www.amazon.com/kindle.

Kindles ordered today will not be delivered by Christmas. We will ship your Kindle to you as quickly as possible and will keep you informed by e-mail as we get more precise delivery dates.

I'm very sorry about all of this. I hope you'll consider this an isolated incident and give us another chance in the future.

I ended up getting it from the .co.uk site and had it delivered to my cousins in the UK, they are going to forward it for me.

I too ordered my cover before I ordered the kindle :D

I got this bad boy http://www.amazon.com/Eco-nique-natural-Amazon-Wireless-generation/dp/B003ZUXVSK%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJ244PJST563GPYNA%26tag%3Dbestkindlewir-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB003ZUXVSK

51mhk4oZKzL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I take it i could get my brother in law in the uk to buy it and just ship it over to me ??

Thats what a few of us are doing, I can't see any issue with it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I take it i could get my brother in law in the uk to buy it and just ship it over to me ??

Or you could just buy it yourself and have it shipped to his address. Either are no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Just ordered mine :D
    Going to see if I can get a hitchikers guide to the galaxy cover.

Got mine yesterday morning, all I can say is wow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

brightkane wrote: »
    I sent someone in today for me and also picked up the 3g wifi one for 173. Cheers for that, great price!

How did you send someone in if it's past security? Do they work there? I would love to get one but don't have anyone to send it to the UK address.

• Advertisement

Yeah, had to use a friend of a friend that works there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

Anyone know if Dixons in the airport still have stock of the Wi-Fi version of the Kindle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭breeno

I picked up a wifi only version on Saturday. They were running a bit low but the guy in the shop said he was expecting more in. You could ring and ask - it's 01-8447196

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Why is it only in the airport? Would it not make sense to sell them everywhere? Or are they restricted? Can one browse the net normally on the 3G one? I'm in Ireland for 3 weeks at christmas and would rather not have to get some other form of internet for that time. This could be perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

breeno wrote: »
    I picked up a wifi only version on Saturday. They were running a bit low but the guy in the shop said he was expecting more in. You could ring and ask - it's 01-8447196

Thanks for the.number. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

dory wrote: »
    Why is it only in the airport? Would it not make sense to sell them everywhere? Or are they restricted? Can one browse the net normally on the 3G one? I'm in Ireland for 3 weeks at christmas and would rather not have to get some other form of internet for that time. This could be perfect!

Dont know, different rules in the duty free shops maybe. Like how we have to order from America. According to amazon the 3G is free in most countries. Its great, I use the 3G and can use the internet for free. Its not a full browser and it black and white but it does the job I need.

Dont know, different rules in the duty free shops maybe. Like how we have to order from America. According to amazon the 3G is free in most countries. Its great, I use the 3G and can use the internet for free. Its not a full browser and it black and white but it does the job I need.

If you go on holidays for instance and use the kindle, can you use the 3g for free for basic web surfing, checking emails ect?

If amazon has an agreement with that country of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I would like to order a UK Kindle.

I am thinking about using http://www.deliverme.ie/

Has anyone had any dealings with this company?

Many Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

What is the chance I could get one for Xmas?? Love to wake up and have one on Christmas morning... Work an American version work in Ireland? Adaptor etc.... Could ask my neighbour to bring one back with her.

• Advertisement

We've a different voltage system over here so you won't be able to charge it from the mains. As far as I'm aware you could charge it from USB??? Not 100% on that though. To be honest to be 100% sure you should get a UK one delivered to a friend/relative and have them forward it, a lot less hassle and you're guaranteed it works 100% (thats what I did)

Advertisement