Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7-9 week wait on a kindle!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Wife ordered me on from crimbo, got it delivered to my grans in north, which is handy as we are spending crimbo with my parents and are driving up on crimbo eve.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it, have already started building my kindle library so that when i turn it on, it will sync my books for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Yelnahs wrote: »
    We've a different voltage system over here so you won't be able to charge it from the mains. As far as I'm aware you could charge it from USB??? Not 100% on that though. To be honest to be 100% sure you should get a UK one delivered to a friend/relative and have them forward it, a lot less hassle and you're guaranteed it works 100% (thats what I did)

The kindles come with a mini USB cable that then plugs into a mains adapter.
    That means you can either charge it from the mains or from a USB port on your PC.
    innovated wrote: »
    Wife ordered me on from crimbo, got it delivered to my grans in north, which is handy as we are spending crimbo with my parents and are driving up on crimbo eve.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it, have already started building my kindle library so that when i turn it on, it will sync my books for me.

Take a look at a piece of software called Calibre. Allows you to organise your offline collection of books, convert them to the Kindle format (.mobi I think) and load them on to the Kindle. Also allows you to download from various news sources, convert the download to ebook format and upload to the Kindle. Handy for reading offline news on the way to work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

SteM wrote: »
    The kindles come with a mini USB cable that then plugs into a mains adapter.
    That means you can either charge it from the mains or from a USB port on your PC.

I realise this and I have one myself but he was asking about the US Kindle. Would it not break it if he plugs it into the an Irish mains plug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

SteM wrote: »
    Take a look at a piece of software called Calibre. Allows you to organise your offline collection of books, convert them to the Kindle format (.mobi I think) and load them on to the Kindle. Also allows you to download from various news sources, convert the download to ebook format and upload to the Kindle. Handy for reading offline news on the way to work etc.

have heard of calibre before, gonna have a look at it for managing news feeds, also might not be great for on the way to work as i drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Yelnahs wrote: »
    I realise this and I have one myself but he was asking about the US Kindle. Would it not break it if he plugs it into the an Irish mains plug?

It wont break but they will have to buy a converter if they want to use the plug. But you can buy a plug, what you get is usb to mini usb wire so you can charge off a laptop etc. You also get a plug that is seperate that you plug the usb into. This is all that needs replacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I would like to order a UK Kindle.

I am thinking about using http://www.deliverme.ie/

Has anyone had any dealings with this company?

Many Thanks

Interested in this also. Any reason not to go with this? Would work out at about 150ish euro all on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

mbroaders wrote: »
    Interested in this also. Any reason not to go with this? Would work out at about 150ish euro all on?

There is a 10-12 day wait so i doubt it will arrive in time for the holidays. I will be definitely be getting one in the new year though using Deliverme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I was going to use them but I seen this thread and it put me off. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I have just received a kindle this morning. I used Deliverme.ie.

I too was wary of using them as I could not find any reliable reviews. But I took a chance on it, and am very happy - excellent service.

They recieved the kindle yesterday and texted & emailed me straight away with a tracking number. I had the kindle this morning at 9:30.

€20 could be bit pricey depending on what your buying, but if you really need something (like I did with the kindle) I would recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

marathont wrote: »
    I have just received a kindle this morning. I used Deliverme.ie.

I too was wary of using them as I could not find any reliable reviews. But I took a chance on it, and am very happy - excellent service.

They recieved the kindle yesterday and texted & emailed me straight away with a tracking number. I had the kindle this morning at 9:30.

€20 could be bit pricey depending on what your buying, but if you really need something (like I did with the kindle) I would recommend them.

Hi, I would like to order a Kindle in time for Christmas so I am using Amazon.co.uk and Deliverme.ie

When ordering off Amazon, did you have a problem after you entered deliverme's address as the shipping address? I got this message:

", there's a problem with the address provided - we've marked our suggestions in red below. Please choose which version of the address you want to use, or click Edit next to the address you want to change."

I cant change the address to anything that doesnt come up as error. I could leave it at that, but Im afraid Amazon will have a problem delivering it to the Deliverme.ie warehouse up north

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I_am_LOST wrote: »
    Hi, I would like to order a Kindle in time for Christmas so I am using Amazon.co.uk and Deliverme.ie

When ordering off Amazon, did you have a problem after you entered deliverme's address as the shipping address? I got this message:

", there's a problem with the address provided - we've marked our suggestions in red below. Please choose which version of the address you want to use, or click Edit next to the address you want to change."

I cant change the address to anything that doesnt come up as error. I could leave it at that, but Im afraid Amazon will have a problem delivering it to the Deliverme.ie warehouse up north

I remember something like that. as far as I remember it gave me some suggested addresses, but I think I just left it as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i tried on the amazon site and had the same problem as everyone else with at least a months wait for delivery, so i just got one off ebay instead from someone in the UK. it was a UK wifi only model still sealed in the box and i won the auction for £129 and specifically asked him to use the UK post office airsure service which added £20 to the final price inc. packaging, but has door to door tracking and 2-3 day delivery which was fine by me to get it in time.

i won the auction tuesday afternoon, got a final price inc. delivery wednesday morning, he posted it wednesday lunchtime and it was in my hand at my front door in navan on thursday morning at about 10am.

it was as advertised, the box was still sealed and everything and it works perfectly so far.

i connected it to the home wifi and linked it to my amazon account and it actually gave me a little giggle as my name is chris so it comes up as "chris's kindle" when it starts up. :D

yeah, i know i'm easily amused. :p

also, just for reference the charger is MicroUSB, not MiniUSB, so the same as newish nokia (and most other) mobile phones from the last year or so.

its the one on the right in this picture, so if you already have one or two of these leads laying around, it doesn't really matter where you get your kindle or what charger plug it comes with as you can charge it using any microUSB cable.

mini-micro-usb-connector.jpg

not had a chance to play with it yet as its for my wife for xmas so she can read on the bus without having to carry a bulky book or newspapers in her bag and if i set it up with the wifi hotspot on her mobile, even tho it's wifi only she can still use it to browse the web or get new content online on a big screen on the go over the 3G on the phone. :)

apparently there's also a front-end for google maps too (and probably loads of other apps etc. as well) so I reckon its going to be a great investment.

my only problem now is managing to keep it in the box till xmas morning and not getting it out to play with it myself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Typing on my kindle! The web browser is surprisingly usable. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I ordered one from Amazon UK on the 9th December using their free SuperSaver delivery, it arrived at my sister's place on the 14th as scheduled, was posted to me on the 15th and arrived here yesterday (18th) so pretty good all things considered. It cost her a whopping £14.25 to send it Royal Mail Signed For (I think she added the extra insurance as well just in case, but not sure) which makes the €20 charge from Deliverme.ie seem quite reasonable, seeing as it's a flat charge, and would be an even bigger bargain for heavier items.

It's a present for the missus so I've only played with it a bit to make sure everything is set up properly for her to play with it on Christmas day, but I'm hugely impressed so far.

Advertisement