Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Join me on a Running Streak? Starts...now!

Options
  • 22-11-2010 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in a continuous running streak to keep the winter blues away?
    First off I am not a very fast runner and don't do savage mileage like alot of people here so I have to aim at different things than winning races or sub 3.30 marathons to keep me going. I run 2 to 4 times per week and have ran a marathon and a few halves as well. Aiming at the Munster spring classics next year but with work etc. I really can only get out for a few miles in the morning and a longer run at the weekend.
    Was reading Ian O Riordan's book and he had a bit about the legendary Ron Hill and a Running Streak Association in America but mentioned there was nothing like this in Ireland apart from a few lone figures who are on massive streaks themselves - so I thought why not tout this on boards and see where it ends up? (My previous best would be about 4 days!)
    Basically one has to run for at least a continuous mile a day unaided by crutches or anything else, can be on the road, track, trails, treadmill whatever floats your boat. Of course a mile a day is not a problem until you start putting in your normal mileage as well! This probably suits the lower mileage runners like me better.
    So anyone up for it? I started yesterday btw Sun 21st Nov and I got out today for 3.5 miles so so far so good:D
    All a bit of fun but it might make me get out in the impending inclement weather when the fire and a few biscuits might be more enticing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I like the idea buck and I was already thinking for the new year, in addition to the 1000 mile challenge there could be a running streak challenge and I could really see it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The challenge - the most many consecutive days run.
    5km minimum distance

Log the number of consecutive days and the distance covered as part of the streak.

Name |Days |Start |Distance
    Tunney |1 |22nd Nov |10.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Now it's official!! (And 5k)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just to point out. Tunney being a triathlete has probably logged his run in km, most people on here log in miles.

I like the table but the minimum distance could be a put off for some. A mile as a minimum distanceis good enough for Ron Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Woddle wrote: »
    I like the table but the minimum distance could be a put off for some. A mile as a minimum distanceis good enough for Ron Hill.

1.609k - I've moved on from imperialism, but happy to take Osbournes €7bn :p

Daft question but how do you do the thingy with the table to get your name etc. recorded, something to do with the quotes?

BTW the one mile minimum is from the American running streak peoples website maybe thier ground rules should be ours too?
    www.runeveryday.com

One mile? Thats running for a bus...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If it's 1 mile to count, then i am on a streak since last thursday. Is that ok or does it start today?

tunney wrote: »
    One mile? Thats running for a bus...........

Yeah but try running 5k with a flu!

• Advertisement

buck65 wrote: »
    Yeah but try running 5k with a flu!

Done worse, but whatever the consensus is.

menoscemo |4 |18th Nov |20 miles

menoscemo |4 |18th Nov |32km
    Tunney |1 |22nd Nov |10.5km

metric people

menoscemo |4 |18th Nov |32km
    Tunney |1 |22nd Nov |10.5km

metric people

Bloody Kilometers GRRRRRRR

This wouldn't even have to be a yearly thing, so no starting over for the new year, just one long contimous challenge and leaderboard. Also if it's concensus that rules I reckon miles :D

This wouldn't even have to be a yearly thing, so no starting over for the new year, just one long contimous challenge and leaderboard. Also if it's concensus that rules I reckon miles :D

My table, my units. KMs.

My table, my units. KMs.

Fair enough boss

So the minimum to count as a run as now 1.61km yeah?

Fair enough boss

Miles and kms- the eternal battle.

When you go to the track - what repeats do you run? :)

100ms, 400ms, 800s

Name some of the most popular races distances on these boards?

Marathon, half maraton, 5km, 10km, 3km. The odd five miler and ten miler, but its mainly in ks no?

perhaps a topic to be split out into a different thread? What Units and why?

My thread so ... yes:p to the 1.6k minimum - I reckon we'll give Tunney the kms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Name |Days |Start |Distance (km)
    menoscemo |4 |18th Nov |32.0
    Condo131|21 |1st Nov |206.95

Dunno if I'll bother staying with this table - achilles is sore after XC yesterday, so I'll see if my current streak continues after tonight. My longest streak was 12.5 years - then I smashed a lot of ribs, which put paid to my gallop. Denis McCarthy, East Cork AC, probably holds the Irish record. I think he's now on about 28 or 29 years without missing a day.

I'm not as committed as previously - taken 4 days off since July 2009.

btw, anyone else aiming for the 3,000 mile challenge I mentioned some time back - I'm on 2646.43 - looking to be a close thing for 3,000 by Dec 31st. PR is 4487 miles (1989)

Condo131 wrote: »
    Condo131|21 |22nd Nov |206.95

Dunno if I'll bother staying with this table - achilles is sore after XC yesterday, so I'll see if my current streak continues after tonight. My longest streak was 12.5 years - then I smashed a lot of ribs, which put paid to my gallop. Denis McCarthy, East Cork AC, probably holds the Irish record. I think he's now on about 28 or 29 years without missing a day.

I'm not as committed as previously - taken 4 days off since July 2009.

btw, anyone else aiming for the 3,000 mile challenge I mentioned some time back - I'm on 2646.43 - looking to be a close thing for 3,000 by Dec 31st. PR is 4487 miles (1989)

Either you started that streak 21 days ago or you can predict the future ;)

Condo131|21 |22nd Nov |206.95
    BeepBeep67|22|31stOct|220.58

This is a dangerous one for me, I was planning on going to the end of the year, might have to curb my new year's celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

menoscemo wrote: »
    Either you started that streak 21 days ago or you can predict the future ;)
    Oops!! Maybe a bit of both! ...Now if I could only do that for the Lotto! ....or IMF!!:rolleyes:

Condo131 wrote: »

I'll be happy with 2k this year, need to hit 7M per day on ave to do that.

How the hell do I get on the table what's the trick? Anyone?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is 1.6k not a teeny bit short? Think 3k/3.2k would be a bit better...5k would be perfect. It is meant to be a challenge.

Edit: Also, should it not just start with today, so everyone gets to start on an even keel days wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Is 1.6k not a teeny bit short? Think 3k/3.2k would be a bit better...5k would be perfect. It is meant to be a challenge.

It was only a matter of time before the elites moved in :D:D

Edit: Also, should it not just start with today, so everyone gets to start on an even keel days wise?

I agree with you Racoon on starting today, granted some have already a few weeks unbroken running but to get everyone on the same date would be fantastic.
    I think on the basis of inclusivity 1.6k or 1 mile old money is suitable. We are in this for the long haul and with an injury or illness or hangover 1 mile could be a challenge too.

• Advertisement

No fair starting today If you are already on a 22 day streak.
    Oh and the guy who started the thread set down the rule of a run being minimum one mile, hence me being able to inclde saturday, so no way I'm voting to change that :pac:

Advertisement