Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Clasico Monday 29th 8pm.

• 22-11-2010 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Well we are a week from the worlds biggest match, and this year it can be argued it is better than ever.

On show will be the 2 of the best keepers in the world, the best midfielder in the world and the 2 best players in the world in Messi and CR7. We also arguably have the best 2 current managers in world football pitting their wits against each other.

Lookingf at the (probable) starting line ups, there is really nothing to call between them. The main advantage Barca have is continuity, but Real have been playing like men possessed in the last few months, and have 7 wins on the spin under their belts. Another advantage for Barca is that they know how to beat Real, every player in the starting XI will have beaten them, while of Reals, only 4 can say that - Ramos, Casillas, Higuian and CR7.

Of course a huge factor in this is the Jose factor. he has been making the usual comments all season trying to get a rise from Barca. And while they have not reacted publicly, I reckon Pep is on the verge of going spa. Jose also knows how to beat Barcelona. His evry presense will have the Camp Nou crowd wound up.

Starting XI prediction

Barcelona
    Valdes
    Alves---Pique---Puyol---Abidal
    Busquets
    ----Iniesta----Xavi----
    Pedro---Messi---Villa

Real Madrid
    Casillas
    Ramos---Carvalho---Pepe---Marcelo
    Khedira
    Alonso
    Ozil
    Di Maria----Higuian----CR7

Those are the strongest sides either team can field.

Prediction Barca 1-2 Real :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its so tough to call, its nearly impossible to seperate them and in last years La Liga it really came down to the El Classico results that seperated the top two so this game could have a bearing on where the title ends up.

One half of me says its going be a draw while the other says Real Madrid to nick it, I just cant see Barca winning this which is strange seeming as they are the home team.

Going to be some game though, cant wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

1 nil to Barca.

Despite the gap between the big 2 and the rest, there is a smaller but still present gap between Barca and Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I wouldn't be surprised to see Barca snatch this as its in the Nou Camp, I still definitely think Real have become the better side though. The Mourinho effect is just stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

A very tough one to call. Mourinho has added a bit of bite to Real and they are much more solid at the back this season. It will be interesting to see how Mourinho sets the team up, I feel he will opt for two banks of 4 and try catch Barca on the counter.

Anyone know the kick off time? Hopefully 9 as I will be in work til then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

This is the real acid test for Mourinho Pelligrini lost both these last year and it cost him the league (knocked out by Lyon in champions league cost him his job) I think it'll be a score draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

Think Madrid will do it. If they contain messi and I think they will no problems. Be close but a Madrid away win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

I think it'll be a high scoring draw or real winning by 1/2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'll let you all know what it's about. I'll be there :cool:

I think Barca 3-2. Mess (2), Ronaldo, Villa, Carvalho as scorers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

At least two red cards and a controversial late penalty.

Ramos will kick Messi, Ramos will kick Messi. Alonso will get a red for a second yellow.
    Mascherano will kick Ronaldo, Puyol will kick Ronaldo. Masherano will get a red for a second yellow.

Ronaldo will 'win' a late penalty and Madrid will win 2-1

Le King wrote: »
    I'll let you all know what it's about. I'll be there :cool:

I think Barca 3-2. Mess (2), Ronaldo, Villa, Carvalho as scorers!
    What minute do you think they'll score in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I thought these fixtures last year were as good as it gets but this year is so much better. I am hoping for a Barca win but it should be close, it should also be high scoring, i'll go along with Le King and say Barca to win 3-2, Messi will keep his run going too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

CSF wrote: »
    What minute do you think they'll score in?

Hmm I can't give all the details away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Most eagerly anticipated Clasico since Figo's return?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's set up beautifully and should be a cracking match. I just hope there are no injuries between now and the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Real Madrid to get a 3-0 shocker. Barca already lost at home this season and I can see Real wanting revenge for losing out last season, plus the "Mourinho-Factor" of course which radiates everytime he visits Camp Nou.

He showed last season he could beat Barca, and with Chelsea when Ronaldinho was with Barca. Different team mostly (Puyol, Valdes, Xavi, Messi, Iniesta still there) but same mentality and play style. Expect Mourinho mind games to have an effect. (Plus Puyol to get another slap in the tunnel)

Sorry for mentioning Mourinho so much but he really is that special ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Think this will be a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

woah people slow the fcuk down hang on there a sec never mind messi ronaldo and the jose factor .........................the biggest game in world football is on of a monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Am I the only one that thinks Barca will win this?? Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think Jose has ever won at the Nou Camp, in fact, I think he has only lost there?? (Chelsea x2 and with Inter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

woah people slow the fcuk down hang on there a sec never mind messi ronaldo and the jose factor .........................the biggest game in world football is on of a monday?

Why not? There has been a La Liga game most Mondays this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Not like it's anything new. The Champions League Final was always on a Wednesday up until last year and the semi's on Tues/Wed.

Arsenal playing United on a Monday night in a few weeks too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

THFC wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks Barca will win this??
    Well I certainly think they've a waaaay better chance than a lot of people seem to be giving them. Mourinho's previous games against Barca were all in the CL, many in two-legged ties, so it's not a hugely fair comparison.

But most importantly, there's sod all between the two teams overall this year. Barca's slightly shaky start seems to have been overcome and they've only lost once (albeit a huge shock). And Madrid didn't find their feet straight away either. So 3-0 Madrid or any similar predictions seem a bit generous to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Definitely looking forward to this. It will make next Monday 10x better than most Mondays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Its on a monday as there are elections on the sunday in catalunya, and the catalan parties don't want the result affecting voters - especially the spanish (madrid supporters) people living in Catalunya.

ANyway I really hope Madrid win, I couldn't bear to see the Nazis parade down the streets here again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

This is set up to be the best el clasico in a good few years... Both teams are pretty close to each other in terms of squad and talent in the starting 11....

Very hard to call, but i think with the Camp Nou crowd behind them, Barca to edge by 1...

CANT WAIT!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I will be in Barcalona for this, hoping I can get a ticket but I dont think its very likely. I see real sneaking this tbh, taking an early lead and maybe grabbing a 2nd very late on to secure it.

plonk wrote: »
    I will be in Barcalona for this, hoping I can get a ticket but I dont think its very likely. I see real sneaking this tbh, taking an early lead and maybe grabbing a 2nd very late on to secure it.
    If you're willing to pay enough, you'll get one.

THFC wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks Barca will win this?? Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think Jose has ever won at the Nou Camp, in fact, I think he has only lost there?? (Chelsea x2 and with Inter)

...inter last year, no? :confused:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    ...inter last year, no? :confused:
    They lost in the Nou Camp 1-0, won on aggregate though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

They lost in the Nou Camp 1-0, won on aggregate though

oh yeah! :o

i just remembered jose standing in the middle of the pitch with the sprinklers goin off behind him pointing up to the top tier were the inter fans were!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Cant wait for this one.

Think Barca may win or a draw. I reckon Jose will be happy with a draw and then will plan to destroy them in the Bernabeu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Messi and Ronaldo are on top-form scoring at least 2 in most games recently. Both teams are after impressive wins last weekend and this could be an absolute belter of a match. It is the biggest game in world football and I fancy Barca to stuff them - 4-0 Barca with the real "Special One", Messi scoring a hat-trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

anyone know how many clean sheets casillas has against barcelona?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Can't f^cking wait for this one, it's going to be an absolute cracker.
    Barca's pass and move fluidity against the solid and direct Madrid.

I reckon Barcelona will get a strangle hold of this match very early on, possibly go 1 or 2 up. Their players have that extra mental strength when it comes to big games. But who's to say Mou hasn't improved the mentality of his team already.. There's nothing to go by. I can see Pep asking Pedro and Messi to apply preasure on Alonso and Kheidira any time they have the ball. Barca will try to contain Madrid that way. Nip the attack at the bud, and strangle possession.

Its too close to call
    head says 2-2
    heart says Barca to snatch it 3-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

"Barcelona are gonna kill them" - Eamonn Dunphy.

Comfortable Real win it is so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

flahavaj wrote: »
    "Barcelona are gonna kill them" - Eamonn Dunphy.

Comfortable Real win it is so.

Eamonn is a gas man allright.
    I can see Real scoring so Barca will have to get 2 to win.
    Should be epic and at last a match that may live up to the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

gimmick wrote: »
    On show will be the 2 of the best keepers in the world, the best midfielder in the world and the 2 best players in the world in Messi and CR7. We also arguably have the best 2 current managers in world football pitting their wits against each other.

:pac: Valdes world class? Accident prone.

Guardiola will be tested by Jose in this one. Will Barcas style of football be able to break down the 2 banks of 4 Jose will put in frount of his goal? Should be a good watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Prufrock wrote: »
    :pac: Valdes world class? Accident prone.

Look at his stats versus Casillas over the last 12 month or so. While I will not say he is better, his stats compare extremely favourably.

Accident prone would have been an accurate description 3/4 years ago. Not any more.
    2 of the best keepers in the world

I did not say THE 2 best keepers, I said 2 of the best. I cannot name 5 better keppers than either of these 2 in football at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I did not say THE 2 best keepers, I said 2 of the best. I cannot name 5 better keppers than either of these 2 in football at the moment.

I never said you did. :confused:

I just don't rate Valdes as a world class keeper stats or no stats....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Valdez is under rated and he has been extremely solid over the last couple of years.

Prufrock wrote: »
    I never said you did. :confused:

I just don't rate Valdes as a world class keeper stats or no stats....

It was mentioned by someone else in the thread earlier, i don't think he was aiming it at you.

• Advertisement

Mondays mosaic

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/club/temporada10-11/11/25/n101125114219.html

I expect Jose to go on a major mindgame offensive in the next few days, or indeed, crank it up a few notches.

I trust Pep to stay cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

A load of old Clasico goals going up on 101greatgoals for anyone who fancies them.

One in particular caught my eye... guy's only senior goal for Madrid and it's a 50-yarder in the Clasico:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Getting closer :pac:
    Mind games to be expected over the next 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Khedira and Higuain expected to be back. Wouldn't mind a bit of Benzema up front powering through Pique and Puyol. Ronaldo will cause Alves grief which will lead to Pique coming to help him, ball will be laid back to Ozil who will work his magic to play Higuain through.

Pedro will score too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I love the way the special one puts all the heat on himself and takes it off his players. Its one of the things that makes him such a great coach.
    "The fans in the Nou Camp will never forgive me for denying them the opportunity to win the Champions League at the Santiago Bernabeu," Mourinho told FIFA.com. "I'm a persona non grata as far as Barcelona supporters are concerned, so I'll get a hostile reception.

"That's just football. I beat them with Chelsea, then with Inter and now I'm coaching their fiercest rivals, Real Madrid. That's too many things in quick succession. The past doesn't matter, it's what's happened recently that counts. That's the way football works.

"But I'm going there (Nou Camp) to play a football match and that's that. It's like I always say: if we win on Monday then it'll be Tuesday the next day. And if we lose on Monday then it'll still be Tuesday the next day. That's why we have to keep working hard and enjoying ourselves just the same, whatever happens.'

And of course the obligatory praise of his opposite number to put pressure on him.
    "If I were Barca president Sandro Rosell I'd give him a contract for the next 50 years," said Mourinho. "Because he's a club man who's been steeped in the Barcelona way since birth.

"He knows the place inside out and he knows the kind of football that Barcelona fans want. He's the ideal man to coach Barcelona for as long as he wants to.

"We used to work together at Barca and I have only positive memories of that period. Now we're rival coaches but I get the feeling that we respect each other. In my view that's a good thing, and it'd be perfect if it stayed that way,'' he added. "I first said he'd end up being an excellent head coach years ago."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=845801&sec=europe&cc=5739

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Jose+Mourinho+Josep+Guardiola+Barcelona+v+J9u5dkS4DMll.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Real by 2. Don't see Barcelona winning this, but I wouldn't entirely rule out a draw.

At least 3 absolutely ridiculous dives in the match (more than likely Iniesta, Busquets and Ronaldo/Villa). I can see a red card too.

D Day has arrived. An odd thing to say, but this match will almost determine who wins La Liga this season. The momentum this will give the winner cannot be measured.

D Day has arrived. An odd thing to say, but this match will almost determine who wins La Liga this season. The momentum this will give the winner cannot be measured.

The clasicos decided who won the league last season and i very much expect the same this year. I am still going for a Barca win in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Can't wait for this! :D

I just cannot predict it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement