Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greens are gone - Election imminent.

• 22-11-2010 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭

There is increasing, but unconfirmed, speculation the party may announce plans to exit government after the Budget.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/green-party-to-announce-future-in-govt-482745.html#ixzz160fZo351
    he Green Party has called time on its coalition with Fianna Fáil.

A statement from the party has said "it is time to fix a date for a General Election in the second half of January".

Their leader John Gormley said the decision was made on Saturday after a long series of meetings.

Mr Gormley said: "The Irish people feel betrayed and misled."

The announcement comes after last night's decision of the Cabinet to seek emergency funding from the IMF.

In a statement the party said three things must be done in the coming two months to safeguard the future prosperity and independence of the Irish people.

They want a credible four-year plan "to show we can make our Budgets balance by 2014", a Budget delivered for 2011 and funding from the EU and IMF which will "respect vital Irish interests and restore stability to the Euro area".

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/greens-call-for-january-elections-482756.html#ixzz160sO3EER
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Yay - no more cabbage, spinach or broccoli!!

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

It's not official yet I think? Probably hold off for election after budget, perhaps early in new year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

squod wrote: »

There is increasing, but unconfirmed, speculation the party may announce plans to exit government after the Budget.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/green-party-to-announce-future-in-govt-482745.html#ixzz160fZo351

Incorrect tense there, OP.

"Are gone" - past tense; already happened.
    "May go" - present tense; has not already happened.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Fcuk them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

We can but hope.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Far too late. Should have done this years ago lads (if in fact they will go ahead with it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Yay! I'm going off to start a puppy farm;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

isnt that the conditional tense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Can now go on record non-cryptically about a decision we made on Saturday. John Gormley to make statement about current situation in 10 mins

http://twitter.com/paulgogartytd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

starting to spread around now....no mention of it on RTE though :rolleyes:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/

• Advertisement

Can now go on record non-cryptically about a decision we made on Saturday. John Gormley to make statement about current situation in 10 mins

http://twitter.com/paulgogartytd

We as a party have unanimously agreed that deputy stagg must remain fúcked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Good riddance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Not sure about this, Turkeys don't vote for Christmas after all. If an election comes now the greens will be hammered (and rightly so).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Gogarty said 10 minutes 17 minutes ago! What is happening?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

isnt that the conditional tense?

Present conditional, yes, but you may be being pedantic :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Greens are announcing their christmas party venue for this year. Got Saturday the 11th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Seems very f cryptic to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

A last desperate atempt to make themselves appear important before they get turfed out for a decade in the green wilderness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

@breakfastnt Breakfast- Green Party pulling out of Gov in January, calls for election in 2nd half of Jan - Chris

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

To little, too late, poor attempt to regain some semblance of "doing the right thing"!
    They should have been gone long ago from been in cahoots with the shower of wasters I consider them to ALL be!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

A last desperate atempt to make themselves appear important before they get turfed out for a decade in the green wilderness.

+1

except it wont be a decade but forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Greens have done it. GE demanded in January! :) Thank fook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I'm surprised the Greens think anybody will really give a shit. They've done nothing but prop up a morally corrupt and idea-free regime and had all their policies laughed at, or flat-out rejected. Good riddance. They're never going to get even a sniff of power for decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Calls for a general election by the Greens-do they not realise the country will never vote for them again.Ah well, I won't miss 'em.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

If true, it is undoutedly a last gasp effort to retain any semblance of relevance by the Greens.

On the other hand, at least they are not letting Cowen and FF dictate when there will be an election. We won't have to listen to Cowen trying to spin that he got the budget done and is stepping aside for the good of the country and letting someone else from FF contest an election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Today is the first day in my life that I am embarrassed to be Irish :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Last ditch attempt to salvage some credibility and disassociate themselves from FF.

Unfortunately for the Greens, I think they're going to be decimated at the next election. Proportionally more than FF even.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They're going to support the budget but they want an election in the second half of January, or else they'll withdraw their support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The should never have been there in the first place, too little to late IMO.

General Election campaign starts todaty so.

Bye, bye FF. Thank fook for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Here's to the FG/Labour coalition.
    It's not perfect, but it's less corrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The IMF will have their hands up someone else's arse. Same story, different mouthpiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Terry wrote: »
    Here's to the FG/Labour coalition.
    It's not perfect, but it's less corrupt.

That would make a great campaign poster :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Since entering government in June 2007, we in the Green Party have worked to fix and reform the economy. It has been difficult. We have taken tough decisions and put the national interest first

You bailed Anglo in a recession and ruined this country you bad, evil fuhks!

Sure all the damage is done - bit fooking late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

General Election campaign starts todaty so.

Bye, bye FF. Thank fook for that.

Brian Lenihan says he had constructive talks with Greens and they are not walking out of government.

Hhahahah, lies while the press conference was on!

Brian Lenihan says he had constructive talks with Greens and they are not walking out of government.

Hhahahah, lies while the press conference was on!

Yeah apparently Gormley told Cowen about their decision today and he didn't bother telling his Minister for Finance thus making Lenihan look like a complete tit. Again.

• Advertisement

Unfortunetely because of FF and the greens it doesnt matter a flying fcuk whos in power now as were under the yol of the imf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Here we go now, I just wonder which other bunch of idiots end up replacing FF.

IMO Cowen is the worst leader the country has ever had and this whole situation is going to be more far reaching and devastating than the civil war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well this is the end of the Greens in Ireland and the end of Cowen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Well this is the end of the Greens in Ireland and the end of Cowen.

and the elephant in the room ?

FF ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Goodbye FF.
    Don't let the protestors kick you up the arse on your way out.

Terry wrote: »
    Goodbye FF.
    Don't let the protestors kick you up the arse on your way out.

It's hard to kick someone up the arse when their Govt car is running you over!

I've just had a thought.

Enda Kenny may be Taoiseach soon.

That is some scary shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Going forward we'll be kicking the can down the road and trying not to hit the elephant in the room, we are where we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

When are they getting locked up is what I want to know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

John Gormley just called for a General Election to be called in January. NICE :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1122/breaking19.html

EDIT: Yes I know I spelled January incorrectly, but I like it, so I'm leaving it that way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement