Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greens are gone - Election imminent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

DominoDub wrote: »

Did that happen today??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Biggins wrote: »
    Feck - that was some goings on!

True. Very surprised that situation didn't go up a notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Never fear, those great economic commentators Westlife supply all the answers needed in these hard and shocking times!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11802271

Everyone can now sleep safe tonight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

YES !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

msg11 wrote: »
    True. Very surprised that situation didn't go up a notch.
    Bloody glad they didn't. Thank heavens it was only a small group.
    The world is additionally looking at us right now and we don't need this level type of crap!

I'm all for protesting but trying to bust into a place of power is not an image for a stable government makes!
    (Even if I don't like the actual residing government state party)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

prinz wrote: »
    Excellent work once again by AGS.

Did you not see the ease with which those people just walked through the front gate? If that was an actual angry mob determined to get at the Dail I doubt that sole high viz garda who was alone at that start would have been able to do much about it, shoddy work there by AGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"Sinn Féin", when you absolutely, positively need to fail to make your point but instead attract lowly scum.
    Accept no substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

GreeBo wrote: »
    "Sinn Féin", when you absolutely, positively need to fail to make your point but instead attract lowly scum.
    Accept no substitute.

What actions in the video led to to describe those protesters as scum? Was it the fact that they didn't react against the Garda or that they sat down? I'm not sure which was the action more fitting of "lowly scum".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Did you not see the ease with which those people just walked through the front gate? If that was an actual angry mob determined to get at the Dail I doubt that sole high viz garda who was alone at that start would have been able to do much about it, shoddy work there by AGS.

Yeah bit lax letting them past the gates at all but once they confronted them they did well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

If it wasn't for Ó Snodaigh and a few calm heads that could of been nasty all right

Just on that incident at the Dail, there are a couple of practical things to take note of and remember.

1. The gates can't be locked for fire regulations (evacuation access routes, etc) alone as well as having to be kept open as to provide easy access for emergency vehicles should they be needed.

2. If there is too much Garda presence, folk will complain its too heavy handed and/or why aren't they being put to better use elsewhere - and if there was too little, then why can't they have more there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 brndonnie

irishejit wrote: »
    Never fear, those great economic commentators Westlife supply all the answers needed in these hard and shocking times!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11802271

Everyone can now sleep safe tonight...

they could hardly do any worse the current gob****es have. then again a bunch of monkeys couldnt have done any worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

DominoDub wrote: »

The Stig will have some explaining to do.

Garda B 334 was disgraced in that video

• Advertisement

Crosáidí wrote: »

Which video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

True, he should never had let that guy grab his batton, should have cracked the guys knuckles as he went to reach for it. Amateur mistake, very slack indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I hope a complaint is lodged with the Ombudsman, in fairness the rest of the gardai did an OK job.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I thought he was brilliant. Showed restraint and kept the scumbags back. Remember, any other country in the world and armed police would have shot the lot.

The shinners are making things worse. What the country needs now is to show it's politically stable. An election with a clean hand over of government would do exactly that. Idiots storming the Oireachteas buildings just make us look like Greece.

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    I hope a complaint is lodged with the Ombudsman, in fairness the rest of the gardai did an OK job.

Have to agree, very little there and calmed the stig down thus calming a few of the crowd, your man that spoke that the end fair play to him seeing some sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 CircusIntro

Just heard from Mary O'Rourke that the election will Held on December 23rd;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What actions in the video led to to describe those protesters as scum? Was it the fact that they didn't react against the Garda or that they sat down? I'm not sure which was the action more fitting of "lowly scum".

+1

Christ are we such sheep that we cringe at that video? leave your political/anti-Sinn Fein bias aside please because I see nothing wrong with their actions. If you look at the video closely the Gardai had their trousers down, the protesters could have scattered and ran into Government buildings if they so wished. They chose not to, but they had every right to stay where they were in fact.

It's not the actions of frustrated citizens people should be ashamed of. We have a government of liars who betrayed this nation, they lied to us and they lied to the world. Of course we all thought we had financial liquidity until next summer, we didn't need help. The markets knew otherwise but us poor fools didn't. So please remember, it's the wretched scum occupying those governmant buildings that are the sh1t stain on this nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Just to check, but with Healy Rae and Lowry withdrawing support, that leaves the government (including the Greens) with a majority of one right now?

Are any of the opposition supporting this upcoming budget? Could be very marginal if they don't.

edit - the only think I see wrong with the video is that the protestors clearly hadn't planned getting through the gates, and once through, didn't know how or have the balls to do what a few of them hoped they would do. I mean if you're gonna do something like that, do it properly.

TheZohan wrote: »

The rest of the Gardaí did a great job bar one nut job with a baton

They chose not to, but they had every right to stay where they were in fact..

Eh, no they didn't. No one has an automatic right to wander around Government buildings or property unhindered.

+1

Christ are we such sheep that we cringe at that video? leave your political/anti-Sinn Fein bias aside please because I see nothing wrong with their actions. If you look at the video closely the Gardai had their trousers down, the protesters could have scattered and ran into Government buildings if they so wished. They chose not to, but they had every right to stay where they were in fact.

They had no right to be there.
    It's not the actions of frustrated citizens people should be ashamed of.

This wasn't the action of frustrated citizens. This was an orcehstrated maneuvre designed to make the international media think Ireland is collapsing and to promote violence around the country. Sinn Fein are notorious for causing trouble in every protest they're on. They're jumped up thugs. If they were so concerned about doing the right thing they wouldn't have gone through the gates, they would have stayed outside like every peaceful protester.

LookingFor wrote: »
    Just to check, but with Healy Rae and Lowry withdrawing support, that leaves the government (including the Greens) with a majority of one right now?.

Last I heard was that Lowry was supporting the budget and was calling on Labour and Fine Gael to do the same. Based on the government calling an election right after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

What was the protest for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Buceph wrote: »
    This wasn't the action of frustrated citizens. This was an orcehstrated maneuvre designed to make the international media think Ireland is collapsing and to promote violence around the country. Sinn Fein are notorious for causing trouble in every protest they're on. They're jumped up thugs. If they were so concerned about doing the right thing they wouldn't have gone through the gates, they would have stayed outside like every peaceful protester.

If they were 50 non-affiliated passers by, one can bet their life savings that you would have a totally different view.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    If they were 50 non-affiliated passers by, one can bet their life savings that you would have a totally different view.

I wouldn't think it was an orchestrated maneuvre, trying to incite violence across the country and to present Ireland as destabilsed in the international media.

I would think they were thugs.

...If you look at the video closely the Gardai had their trousers down, the protesters could have scattered and ran into Government buildings if they so wished.

In fairness, with what few Gardi there was there and where they obviously came from within a minute or two from their various stations, they had the situation surrounded well given the very few minutes of time-scale.

Credit too also to those that chose to sit and peacefully protest. The callers for peaceful sitting protesting were right to do so - and fair play, the sensible ones did so right away.

Initially it looked like there was one or two in that group that were of not the best temperament to be facing Gardi - probably at any time - but its always the few bad ones that ruin a protest for the majority - not just in this case.
    ...We have a government of liars who betrayed this nation, they lied to us and they lied to the world. Of course we all thought we had financial liquidity until next summer, we didn't need help. The markets knew otherwise but us poor fools didn't. So please remember, it's the wretched scum occupying those government buildings that are the sh1t stain on this nation.

No difference of views there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Buceph wrote: »
    I wouldn't think it was an orchestrated maneuvre, trying to incite violence across the country and to present Ireland as destabilsed in the international media.

I would think they were thugs.

Yeh right whatever. To me it doesn't matter who the protesters are, people of all persuasions are angry at what has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

+1

It's not the actions of frustrated citizens people should be ashamed of. We have a government of liars who betrayed this nation, they lied to us and they lied to the world. Of course we all thought we had financial liquidity until next summer, we didn't need help. The markets knew otherwise but us poor fools didn't. So please remember, it's the wretched scum occupying those governmant buildings that are the sh1t stain on this nation.

How about the goon in black goading the officer into hitting him?
    "Go on, hit me in the face!"
    Classy.

What exactly do you think they achieved by forcing their way in, shouting and refusing to leave? It was like some pathetic student rally IMO.

Oh and shouting "This is a peaceful protest" doesnt mean you can do whatever you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Using predictive text on your phone, type in IMF :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that The Irish Times is trying to incite the masses with this one.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/1122/1224283834822.html?via=mr

Feeble Irish protests fail to measure up to a Greek tragedy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

More political maneuvering going on. Rats leaving the sinking floating rat cage.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Brian Cowen announced that he is changing our national emblem from a shamrock to a condom. This he feels reflects more accurately the govermentspolitical stance! A condom allows for inflation, halts production,destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks and gives a...sense of security while you're actually being screwed.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jd007 wrote: »
    Brian Cowen announced that he is changing our national emblem from a shamrock to a condom. This he feels reflects more accurately the govermentspolitical stance! A condom allows for inflation, halts production,destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks and gives a...sense of security while you're actually being screwed.....

I hope he's going to prove how good they are by sticking his skull inside one for an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I hope he's going to prove how good they are by sticking his skull inside one for an hour.

Preferably a used one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

TV3 reporting that Cowen may go to the Park tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anyone notice the armed military police that turned up inside goverment buildings at the end of the RTÉ video, hands on sidearms? Brought a little bit of sense to the scenario, bet most people (me for one) never knew they were stationed there.
    TV3 reporting that Cowen may go to the Park tonight.

Won't happen. Gormley and Cowen are right - to have no leadership right now would be worse than incompetent leadership. Get the budget through, I think it's needed, then adjust the shíte as nessecary in the new year - nothing will take effect until 01/01/11 anyway.

sdonn wrote: »
    Won't happen. Gormley and Cowen are right - to have no leadership right now would be worse than incompetent leadership. Get the budget through, I think it's needed, then adjust the shíte as nessecary in the new year - nothing will take effect until 01/01/11 anyway.

It's entirely possible at this stage.

TV3 - Cowen wanted to bring forward the budget**, but the Greens refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

If a snap election was called, theoretically, when is the earliest it could be held?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

jd007 wrote: »

Surely a baloon would be a more likely and cheaper FF solution?

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    If a snap election was called, theoretically, when is the earliest it could be held?

3 weeks from today.

Surely a baloon would be a more likely and cheaper FF solution?

Or am empty bag of tayto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Common as...

Can the greens do anything right!! they've been completely outfoxed by Healy Rae and Lowry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Well now that the election has been called for some time in the next few months I'd prefer it sooner rather than later. I don't think I could bear the electioneering over Christmas, it would drive me up the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can the greens do anything right!! they've been completely outfoxed by Healy Rae and Lowry.
    That wouldn't be hard.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement