Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cross Bikes

• 22-11-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Would a cross bike make a good winter bike?

I know they have the clearance for mudguards but would the tyres be too slow for the road? I know I could always get different tyres fitted but am just wondering about cross bikes and if it's worth getting one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markdrayton

Vélo wrote: »

I know they have the clearance for mudguards but would the tyres be too slow for the road? I know I could always get different tyres fitted but am just wondering about cross bikes and if it's worth getting one.

If you swap the tyres for slicks there's not a great deal of difference between a 'cross bike and any other road bike. The geometry is a bit different -- generally shorter top tubes, higher bottom brackets and a longer wheelbase for clearance so they won't handle quite as sharply.

The main difference is the brakes. Cantis are rubbish. Even if you don't have fork judder (which plagues many CX bikes) they're not as good as road calipers.

If you're not going to race CX or use the bike off-road at all I wouldn't bother getting one. A touring bike might be more useful for the winter. That said, if you're thinking about racing CX then DO IT. Best form of cycling going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Always worth getting another bike, like you need to ask!

The tyres won't make a huge difference in speed, but you can always change them if you feel to slow (though it'd likely be your legs, not the tyres!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just building up one of these as my commuter - seems to take 32mm tyres havent tested the back yet)

FRPXK_P1.jpg

as far as i know the main prob is companies try and put v brakes with road levers and the cable pull isnt long enough (i'm puttiing old school xt cantis i from my mtb years ago )
    and v brakes were always the spawn of the devil the design never made a lot odf sense (to me apart from getting rid of cable hangers)

anyway i'm going to find out in the next few days :D

as far as i know the main prob is companies try and put v brakes with road levers and the cable pull isnt long enough (i'm puttiing old school xt cantis i from my mtb years ago )
    and v brakes were always the spawn of the devil the design never made a lot odf sense (to me apart from getting rid of cable hangers)

These work with road levers: http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1040&catid=185

Pricey though. Tektro might do some mini-Vs that also work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

These work with road levers: http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1040&catid=185

Pricey though. Tektro might do some mini-Vs that also work.

i have these
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRO_h6npilWuo1mmreTPHrP4uXYjJoYbvZrovYyzS2eFPFU45RJpQ

so gonna see how those work first !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You'll be able to get cross bikes with disc's .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

This is what I have done. I have taken most of the group set from my old winter bike and put it on a cross frame. I have two sets of wheels one with cross tyes and one with road tyres. Its early days - I have done one club training spin on the cross tyres and it was not a huge additional effort. Entered the cross race last Saturday in Tymon Park and loved it. My frame lacks the eyelets for mudguards so it is not an ideal winter trainer.

My rationale was to have a winter bike that gave the option to do cross as well and I am mighty happy with my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

midonogh wrote: »
    This is what I have done. I have taken most of the group set from my old winter bike and put it on a cross frame. I have two sets of wheels one with cross tyes and one with road tyres. Its early days - I have done one club training spin on the cross tyres and it was not a huge additional effort. Entered the cross race last Saturday in Tymon Park and loved it. My frame lacks the eyelets for mudguards so it is not an ideal winter trainer.

My rationale was to have a winter bike that gave the option to do cross as well and I am mighty happy with my choice.

This is exactly what i have done too, with a Surly Cross Check frame and fork. Well pleased, and its still lively on cross tyres, even on the road, but like midonagh, i have a second wheelset with road tyres on it.

PLUG ALERT: Velo, if you're not planning to go off-road but looking for a suitable basis for a winter steed, I'm selling this frame, which donated the bits that went on my new Surly. Lovely steel ride, plenty of clearances for mudguards,. Only selling cos I can't afford to build it up as a second bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

sorry to thread steal. Think of getting a cross bike, just wondering if its worth it going for disc brakes (cable) or if im better off stay with canti.

also peoples opinions on any of these, especially if you have any of them:

Felt F75X €circa 1200
    cube xrace comp €1200
    or focus mares. €1000

all have 105, however I can get the mares for 1200 with fulcums and ultegra sl.

I like the look of the felt myself but have always had a strange love for them, but the focus is outstanding value.

However if I want dics i have to forget all the above and start fresh.

Any advise appreciated.

funkyjebus wrote: »
    sorry to thread steal. Think of getting a cross bike, just wondering if its worth it going for disc brakes (cable) or if im better off stay with canti.

Discs work better. Cantis (IMHO) look traditional.
    funkyjebus wrote: »
    also peoples opinions on any of these, especially if you have any of them:

cube xrace comp €1200

I have an X-Race Comp. It's quite good -- top tube cables, bottle cages, pretty standard geometry and looks nice. It's mid-weight, not lightest but not awful. A friend's Felt felt a bit lighter.

Compact drop bars might not suit everyone.

It also came with a compact chainset, despite the tech specs listing a 'cross chainset. Compacts aren't great for racing as the ratios on small and big rings are too far apart. However, el-cheapo aftermarket rings are €15 or so. I have 46/36 now and it's a lot better.

Main problem is that it suffers from terrible fork judder under braking and doesn't have drillings for a fork-mounted brake hanger. Mine's an '09 or '10 model; perhaps 2011 is different?

• Advertisement
Advertisement