Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thermal Under Wear

• 22-11-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭

Any advice on where to buy thermals? Looking for silk jersey type leggings and havnt a clue where to start

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I would start in Patagonia in Wicklow Street. They have lots of different thermals, designed for different conditions, and usually easy to wash and dry and which last for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Well, you've got a few options:
    Cheap - Pennys, they've a pretty decent range. Never used them myself now.
    Good value - Kildare shopping village, between Nike, North Face, TOG 24 etc… you'll get a good bargain
    The Patagonia outlet store on Exchequer St is reasonable enough too.
    The usual suspects - Arnotts, The Great Outdoors, 53 Degrees North etc etc. They probably won't have their sales on yet, so you'll pay full price before Christmas.

I bring 3 tops with me (I find my salopettes are warm enough on their own) and I give them a quick rinse in the washbasin at night and they dry pretty quickly.

OH! I forgot TK Maxx. If you're brave enough, I usually can't really bear the mess & the queuing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Pick up one pair of skins leggings. You will only need one pair they dont smell untill near the end of the week.

They are pricey but you will only need one and they also help reduce lactic acid build up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

bought a pair of AWOL in great outdoors, pretty sure they were one of the cheaper brands there but they are class imo. wore them for a 9 day trek in Nepal, was sweating heavily going uphill in sun during the day, as soon as the sun went down it would go below freezing, so you needed something that dried out really easy and they did, and didn't smell at all. any other thermals I've bought since haven't been half as good.

if using for ski I doubt you'll really need thermal leggings - usually warm enough in salopettes, top is a good idea though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

if using for ski I doubt you'll really need thermal leggings - usually warm enough in salopettes, top is a good idea though

THe most waterproof and breathable sallopets on the market tend to be shell only and can get quite chilly without leggings.

Plus Compression leggings tend to help keep the legs fresh for hte week skiing :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Haven't worn my compression tights before, but will do next time, not so much to keep warm but to see if the legs survive the days a bit better. Mostly only wear them after long training runs, never out in public if I can help it.

I would rarely be wearing the thermal bottoms in normal conditions, only when it's a really extreme day, and then I find I'm far too hot by the end of it. The legs soon warm up once your using them. I would often just have a thermal top on under the jacket and be fine with that, although an extra layer helps if you take a tumble and bury yourself in the snow.

Advertisement