Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduation 2010

Options
  • 22-11-2010 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

My graduation is coming up soon but I've been given very little information about it. I got a 1.1, which obviously I'm very happy about, but I'm quite private about it and outside of my family I've never really discussed my results. I'm just wondering if my gpa or degree classification will be on the actual degree I receive for everybody to see.
    Also, how long is the ceremony and when do we have to get our gowns? I'm not living in Dublin anymore and I won't be back until the day of the ceremony but I presume it's ok to pick it up then....?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

My graduation is coming up soon but I've been given very little information about it. I got a 1.1, which obviously I'm very happy about, but I'm quite private about it and outside of my family I've never really discussed my results. I'm just wondering if my gpa or degree classification will be on the actual degree I receive for everybody to see.
    Also, how long is the ceremony and when do we have to get our gowns? I'm not living in Dublin anymore and I won't be back until the day of the ceremony but I presume it's ok to pick it up then....?
    Thanks!

No.

Yes.

Yes.

In that order (pay in advance tho)

'I'm quite private about it and outside of my family' Oh come on, now... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TrionaBelina

No.

Yes.

Yes.

In that order

I only asked two yes/no questions!

No your gpa isn't on your degree and yes you can collect your robe on the day?? Thanks for the answer!

It does sound a bit stupid when you write it out! Not ashamed of my degree obviously, it's just I don't know what anybody else got either so it would be strange if they were just written for everybody to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anyone that gets a first gets a special golden gown to distinguish you from the lesser students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Your results are not on the parchment. It is actually identical to what you receive for any degree or Masters. So you could knock one up yourself and hang it on the wall if you wanted :D It will be written in Latin and the only difference between yours and everybody else's will be your name and your course.

The ceremony lasts for about 30-45 minutes, give or take differences for how many people are being conferred at the same time. There will be a speech from Hugh Brady and another academic. They will both be boring and extremely long-winded. UCD put a video up of the ceremony that I attended last year and I appear on the video looking fed up with it all. Presumably they panned out to the graduands expecting to see eager, happy faces!

You can pick up the robes on the morning of the ceremony at the student centre. There will be professional photographers in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Where can you view this video?! I want to check out mine! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

https://secure.phelanconan.com/index.htm

I've heard the info packs are going out on Friday.

Congrats on the 1:1, you shouldnt be shy about it. You worked hard to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Where can you view this video?! I want to check out mine! :)

There are not videos of every graduation, mine just happened to be recorded. It was for PR reasons mainly as Rob Kearney graduated on the same day. You can see it at the bottom of this page, if you graduated last April one of the slow coach BAs :p or a postgrad like meyou might be in it!

http://www.ucd.ie/news/2010/04APR10/270410_kearney.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I hate universities, I really do. They'd be great places without the pomp and arrogance of graduations and awards, especially the almost 'drive-through' way UCD do it. What really gets on my nerves is that on that link about Rob Kearney it celebrates how he got go degree etc... Well he didn't do a degree for the good of his health, usually one is expected to graduate.

Op, the graduation is an absolute load of bollocks. There's only three good things about the grad; dressing nice, eating a nice dinner and getting twisted with your friends. The rest of it is a total waste of time, bunch of old farts sitting up at a stage with sour pusses while Brady says how great UCD is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Anyone that gets a first gets a special golden gown to distinguish you from the lesser students

BEST.POST.EVER.

Advertisement