Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Is A MASSIVE Year for Rock and Metal

Options
  • 22-11-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

2011 is perhaps the most fundamentally important year we have ever had in Rock and Metal to date. Here are a few of the reasons why:

Notable Musical Anniversaries
    Metallica celebrate their 30th Anniversary as a band
    Queen celebrate their 40th Anniversary as a band
    Queen lead vocalist Freddie Mercury has been dead 20 years
    Motley Crue celebrate their 30th Anniversary as a band
    Poison celebrate their 30th Anniversary as a band
    Def Leppard celebrate the 30th Anniversary release of their major label debut

Notable Birthdays
    Rob Halford turns 60
    David Gilmour turns 65
    Charlie Watts, astonishingly, turns 70

So guys, what are we going to do about it? And what do you think some of these performers will do about it - as well as some of their labels - and generally everyone else. Please feel free to add some anniversaries you think that I have missed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

2011 could likely see the release of the next Lamb of God album if they hit the studio next Feb as planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

old gregg wrote: »
    2011 could likely see the release of the next Lamb of God album if they hit the studio next Feb as planned?

Another reason to celebrate this monumental year for the genre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Rush are playing Dublin. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Pig Destroyer, Primordial, Clutch, Altar Of Plagues, Down, Neurosis, Converge, Gaza and TWO Devin Townsend albums= good year:D
    the Rush gig could be the highlight of the year and Maiden should be a good time. (also heard rumblings of a Metallica Belfast date-fingers crossed!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Pig Destroyer, Primordial, Clutch, Altar Of Plagues, Down, Neurosis, Converge, Gaza and TWO Devin Townsend albums= good year:D
    the Rush gig could be the highlight of the year and Maiden should be a good time. (also heard rumblings of a Metallica Belfast date-fingers crossed!)
    Thought the PD album was gonna be 2010, I was disappointed :(

Just looked at the wikipedia page for 2011 in metal, if it's true then Kampfar are doing a new album, I'll look forward to that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

I'd rather be looking forward to some promising releases instead of looking backward for a bunch of random anniversaries to mark a "fundamentally important year"!

I'd rather be looking forward to some promising releases instead of looking backward for a bunch of random anniversaries to mark a "fundamentally important year"!

It's the nature of the bands and the anniversaries that we are celebrating, and the fact that so many occur in the same year

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

2011 looks to be a very promising year indeed. Some great gigs coming up, Rush, Roger Waters, Amon Amarth and Ensiferum with Children of Bodom. There's also a new Rush album due out, and possibly new releases from Opeth and Primus. Much more than just anniversaries.

After a quick look at the wikipedia page for 1981 in metal, I realise that 2011 will also be the 20th anniversaries of Pantera, Slayer, Motley Crue, Anthrax, Queensryche, and Bruce Dickinson joining Iron Maiden. Plenty of notable bands/anniversaries there.

edit: my math sucks today. That should be 30th anniversaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

2011 is perhaps the most fundamentally important year we have ever had in Rock and Metal to date. Here are a few of the reasons why:

Notable Musical Anniversaries
    1. Metallica celebrate their 30th Anniversary as a band
    2. Queen celebrate their 40th Anniversary as a band
    3. Queen lead vocalist Freddie Mercury has been dead 20 years
    4. Motley Crue celebrate their 30th Anniversary as a band
    5. Poison celebrate their 30th Anniversary as a band
    6. Def Leppard celebrate the 30th Anniversary release of their major label debut

Notable Birthdays
    Rob Halford turns 60
    David Gilmour turns 65
    Charlie Watts, astonishingly, turns 70

So guys, what are we going to do about it? And what do you think some of these performers will do about it - as well as some of their labels - and generally everyone else. Please feel free to add some anniversaries you think that I have missed.

Each one of those gets a resounding "meh" from me. I don't give a sh!t how long a band has been going. They still sound like sh!te! (Ooooooh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I'd much rather so good albums from good bands than landmark cash-ins from has-beens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Well between commemorating how long it's been since a band was formed, since an album came out, how old a musician is, how long since they've died, how old they should've been... There's alot of "celebrating."

To be honest I'd rather celebrate the release of the new Gorguts or Trivium album, and I know more people will want to celebrate SOAD's return next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

A new In Flames album will do me just fine :D

Not to mention a possible SOAD reunion and Dream Theater release ... I'm a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Lots of rumours still going around about Van Halen, new album, will they tour etc etc.

Can't see David Gilmour doing to much bar the Wall cameo with Roger, he isn't a workaholic.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Rush finally playing Ireland is all I need :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

10 year anniversary of Lateralus.

A few dates playing the album in its entirety would do me.

Everything else is meh-tastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

S.M.B. wrote: »
    10 year anniversary of Lateralus.

A few dates playing the album in its entirety would do me.

Everything else is meh-tastic!

Actually yeah. Tool have been fairly quiet of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Amon Amarth - new album! as well as the already mentioned gig with COB ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Actually yeah. Tool have been fairly quiet of late.

they're in writing mode now apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

First Dream Theater album without Portnoys input should be interesting. Wonder if it will highlight for good or bad the dynamic he brought to the band?

Fingers crossed that the Steve Wilson/Mikael Åkerfeldt project sees a release in 2011

New Primordial too.... really looking forward to that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

2011 notable so far for the following :

RUSH play Dublin for the first time ever !!!!:cool:

Roger Waters brings The Wall production to Dublin for what looks like a groundbreaking stage production (probably my favourite Floyd album too :cool:)

Warrior Soul are playing Crawdaddy March 28th :cool: - have waited years to see them.

Wishes for 2011 :

Queensryche play Dublin or Belfast
    Tesla play Dublin or Belfast
    Fish plays Dublin again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Not quite rock and metal forum stuff but I'd be a happy camper were 2011 to see a new Radiohead album and tour. Back on topic, some new product and a visit from Meshuggah would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

New Turisas album due in 2011 now them lads know how to raise your spirits

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Speaking of folk/pagan ish metal, I think there's a new Korpiklaani album out next year too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

New Darkest Hour,get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

new crowbar album 2011. feck motley poo, and poison???? pffff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

never got the point of anniversarys and nostalgia in rock ... unless theres a tour attached...:) rush playing live....gonna be animal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Nodferatu wrote: »
    new crowbar album 2011. feck motley poo, and poison???? pffff

+1. New album AND "European Tour". Wouldn't mind travelling to see 'em live!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭DementoR

New Nightwish Album and also the Transiberian Orchestra doing their first ever European Tour including a show in the Apollo in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DementoR wrote: »
    New Nightwish Album
    It's about time for them to release something new. It's been a long wait since 2007.

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    +1. New album AND "European Tour". Wouldn't mind travelling to see 'em live!

I'm going to see them in January, well worth the money

Advertisement