Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No scots

• 22-11-2010 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I’m wondering what you all think of what as happened to me here in Ireland. Is this right or wrong.
    I’m born and breed in Scotland (mother was Irish) came to Ireland 3 weeks ago as could not find a job in Scotland. So I went to your social welfare and went through the process first got my pps number sorted.
    I went to the social welfare and was told there was no point in me applying for anything including rent allowance and was best if I just went back to Scotland. Now I admit I have never worked here before but the history of people going from Ireland to UK and up to Ireland is very long.
    Is this how it is in Ireland now? I always thought the Up and Ireland had separate rules for each other on this.
    Well looks like imp be heading back home next week unless I win my appeals hearing. I just hope the UK don’t change its rules to the Irish when they come over as myself would be one of the first on the streets in Scotland to complain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

what are you talking about what do you expect them to say, you come over here and you never have paid tax here and you expect to get free money and free rent just cause your mum is irish are you having a laugh or what ??

If any irish person went over to the uk and have never paid tax there you mean to tell me that they would give us free rent?

Come on wake up

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭dublinjock

gustafo wrote: »
    what are you talking about what do you expect them to say, you come over here and you never have paid tax here and you expect to get free money and free rent just cause your mum is irish are you having a laugh or what ??

If any irish person went over to the uk and have never paid tax there you mean to tell me that they would give us free rent?

Come on wake up

Yes i did honestly expect that i could.
    No not just because my Mum is Irish because im a Uk citezen,was told id be fine. I truely thought that moving from Dundee to Dublin would be like moving from One city to another.
    I thought Ireland was like the uk that in the uk irish people are treated like uk citzens in law,welfare etc.
    Its been a wake up call coming here and i just hope that in the UK that the people there dont have your attitude as if they did your be looking at a hell of a lot of people returning back to Ireland shouting racist jocks etc etc.
    You need to look at the bigger picture here,small minded thinking like taht as Ireland in this mess..Oh yes i note the UK giving you a loan...Uk tax payer ie ME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

dublinjock wrote: »
    Yes i did honestly expect that i could.
    No not just because my Mum is Irish because im a Uk citezen,was told id be fine. I truely thought that moving from Dundee to Dublin would be like moving from One city to another.
    I thought Ireland was like the uk that in the uk irish people are treated like uk citzens in law,welfare etc.
    Its been a wake up call coming here and i just hope that in the UK that the people there dont have your attitude as if they did your be looking at a hell of a lot of people returning back to Ireland shouting racist jocks etc etc.
    You need to look at the bigger picture here,small minded thinking like taht as Ireland in this mess..Oh yes i note the UK giving you a loan...Uk tax payer ie ME

are you quite sure an Irish person can go to the UK and just sign up for benefits?? Can you link to this info? I've only ever known people to go over and work.

I highly doubt this is what has 'ireland in this mess' seriously wtf?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭warder6161

you = person that moved to ireland because you couldnt find a job in scotland !
    Unemployed people dont pay tax in the UK.! touch on back to mammy in scotland ya whingebag!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Person who doesnt live here and has not paid a cent in tax here isnt entitled to welfare.

Wow, now thats a shocker

/sarcasm

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Oh yes i note the UK giving you a loan...Uk tax payer ie ME

Yes and YOU the tax payer will make money on that loan you do realise that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

You come from Britain, we are no longer subjects to that realm! So no it is not just as easy as hopping on a boat and joining on ever so lenghty SW queues. We are not part of the "UK" you are British, we are Irish. We are 2 different nationalities! Yes if you work here you can get SW when you lose your jobs, like many Eastern Europeans have, but you cannot just think to yourself "hmm they have a great welfare system and my mum is from there, I know I will drain there economy and not my own"

And yes the Brits are aiding in the bailout. We are their nearest neighbours and Tesco and Iceland and all them are here so they want them to be profitable. And it is the taxpayers of Britain helping us, not you!

Take your head out of your behind!

PCros wrote: »
    Yes and YOU the tax payer will make money on that loan you do realise that?

Even now when the uk trying to help you find falut...Lol what is wrong with you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭warder6161

YOU !!! :mad: muppet springs to mind!!

• Advertisement

Even now when the uk trying to help you find falut...Lol what is wrong with you all.

How am I exactly? Its a fact.....

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    You come from Britain, we are no longer subjects to that realm! So no it is not just as easy as hopping on a boat and joining on ever so lenghty SW queues. We are not part of the "UK" you are British, we are Irish. We are 2 different nationalities! Yes if you work here you can get SW when you lose your jobs, like many Eastern Europeans have, but you cannot just think to yourself "hmm they have a great welfare system and my mum is from there, I know I will drain there economy and not my own"

And yes the Brits are aiding in the bailout. We are their nearest neighbours and Tesco and Iceland and all them are here so they want them to be profitable. And it is the taxpayers of Britain helping us, not you!

Take your head out of your behind!

What you mean no longer subjects?
    Dont get were your coming from with that.
    Im no beliver in the royal family myself.
    Fair enough maybe i was silly in thinking what i did about just moving over here.

What you mean no longer subjects?
    Dont get were your coming from with that.
    Im no beliver in the royal family myself.
    Fair enough maybe i was silly in thinking what i did about just moving over here.

Your post gives them impression that you believe you should be entitled to all of this solely because you are British. Since the Brits have not ruled us for 88 years, I do not feel that your assumption of automatic rights to SW are justified!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Dundee must be some hole of a spot if you thought that Dublin would be the answer to your woes...

I'm irish born and breed - I worked for myself till Oct '07 then became an employee of a bigger firm as I could see the slow down coming then that job came to an end in Dec '09 - I didnt get any social welfare for Dec 09 because 2 years previously in 09 I hadnt enough contribuitions made (only 3 months - you need at least 6 I think) and you think you can come over here and get a handout after 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Fault: it's spelt "fault", not "falut"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

time to bump this over to AH for the lulz

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Your post gives them impression that you believe you should be entitled to all of this solely because you are British. Since the Brits have not ruled us for 88 years, I do not feel that your assumption of automatic rights to SW are justified!

First of all im scot or a jocxk not a brit so please a bit of respect.
    Maybe ive not explained what i mean correctly.
    Yes i know The uk have not ruled here for 88 years my grand farther was involved back in the day and was shot,Pleased to say he lived on thoe.
    All i am is a working guy who came to another country seeking work as my city is in a decline. Being from the uk and having lots of family and friends here i just had the idea that i could claim like a irish person.
    In my road were i live in the past 4 months we have had 3 irish familys move in all from Dublin all got a council house and all getting welfare payments. I was talking to them and they said that uK ireland is just like moving from one city to another and me being doing what i do would find a job easy enough.
    I have since coming here 3 weeks ago found out that indeed its so different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

OP if you have paid enough stamps to qualify for dole in the UK, you'll be able to claim in Ireland. This is true within the whole EU, provided you can prove that you plan to become 'ordinarily resident' in Ireland. If you have not made enough tax contributions in the UK, you will not be able to claim here. If you supply your social welfare office with all of your employment details and can show that you have contributed enough, they will grant your claim. The rules are fairly open and shut on this and the systems are fairly transparent.

If you feel you have been treated unfairly or told to 'go home', you should make an official complaint. However if you know you have not paid enough into your social insurance, you will just have to suck it up. Fás still have plenty of jobs going in low-skilled areas, you could always sign up for one of those while you are looking for a more suitable job if you can't get dole.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BeginnersGuideToBenefits/DG_10035686

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/cross-border-worker/social-security/eu-eu_en.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ScallowayLass

Would it have not made more sense to try and find a job before moving over? Surely you were aware of the state of the nation before landing there. Where I live in Scotland is absolutely full of Irish lads at the minute cos there is no work at home!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Leela0311

First of all im scot or a jocxk not a brit so please a bit of respect.
    Maybe ive not explained what i mean correctly.
    Yes i know The uk have not ruled here for 88 years my grand farther was involved back in the day and was shot,Pleased to say he lived on thoe.
    All i am is a working guy who came to another country seeking work as my city is in a decline. Being from the uk and having lots of family and friends here i just had the idea that i could claim like a irish person.
    In my road were i live in the past 4 months we have had 3 irish familys move in all from Dublin all got a council house and all getting welfare payments. I was talking to them and they said that uK ireland is just like moving from one city to another and me being doing what i do would find a job easy enough.
    I have since coming here 3 weeks ago found out that indeed its so different.

You are a bit of a muppet. What does your passport list your nationality as????? Have a look...I think you will find it states you are British!

I am Scottish and have worked and lived here for the past 9 years. You are commonly known as a "winni work" in Scotland!!

• Advertisement

OP if you have paid enough stamps to qualify for dole in the UK, you'll be able to claim in Ireland. This is true within the whole EU, provided you can prove that you plan to become 'ordinarily resident' in Ireland. If you have not made enough tax contributions in the UK, you will not be able to claim here. If you supply your social welfare office with all of your employment details and can show that you have contributed enough, they will grant your claim. The rules are fairly open and shut on this and the systems are fairly transparent.

If you feel you have been treated unfairly or told to 'go home', you should make an official complaint. However if you know you have not paid enough into your social insurance, you will just have to suck it up. Fás still have plenty of jobs going in low-skilled areas, you could always sign up for one of those while you are looking for a more suitable job if you can't get dole.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BeginnersGuideToBenefits/DG_10035686

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/cross-border-worker/social-security/eu-eu_en.htm

Thanks for your comments.
    I have put in a complaint and have a appeal hearing on Thursday.
    This too what you stated about stamps etc would be ok in Ireland as ive worked 15 years. Dosent seem to work like this now. Im gonna go to this hearing just to see what they say but plan on going back to Scotland.
    But thanks for your comments.

Would it have not made more sense to try and find a job before moving over? Surely you were aware of the state of the nation before landing there. Where I live in Scotland is absolutely full of Irish lads at the minute cos there is no work at home!!

Yes in hinesite it would of.
    But how many of us wish we had hinesite before acting.
    I admit coming here was the bigist mistake i have ever made.

Yes in hinesite it would of.
    But how many of us wish we had hinesite before acting.
    I admit coming here was the bigist mistake i have ever made.

Yes it was coz you had your head up your arse for the last 2 years....

The unemployment rate is up to 14% at the moment how on earth did you think coming to Dublin would help your employment prospects?

BTW what is your area of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

People have short memories, throughout the history of this state since independance we have sent our people to the four corners of the globe as we could not provide then with a living. How many of the tens of thousands including my parents went accross the Irish Sea to make a living and how many paddies fleahed the UK social. The man is an EU citizen and as such is entilted to whatever we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

mcko wrote: »
    People have short memories, throughout the history of this state since independance we have sent our people to the four corners of the globne as we could not provide then with a living. How many of the tens of thousands including my parents went accross the Irish Sea to make a living and how many paddies fleahed the UK social. The man is an EU citizen and as such is entilted to whatever we get.

You're indeed right about how things used to be and what a precious lifeline was open to hundreds of thousands of Irish.

Since the 90's anyone claiming social assistance payments in the UK has to prove they are habitually resident there - something introduced here in 2004.

Possibly it's time to post these laws at airports, ferry terminals etc.,

Sad to see the very harsh tone of some of the replies to the OP.

People have short memories, throughout the history of this state since independance we have sent our people to the four corners of the globe as we could not provide then with a living. How many of the tens of thousands including my parents went accross the Irish Sea to make a living and how many paddies fleahed the UK social. The man is an EU citizen and as such is entilted to whatever we get.

Yes, the Irish have travelled the world for work, but that is what they did. They worked, they did not avail of SW payments there. They worked on the railroads and as skivvys for pittens! It is something we can pride ourselves on!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

My HOLE
    I have a cousin who had six different birth certs in London in the 80s claiming 6 times, wise up we screwed the Brits for years. My old man worked on the sites in England and the only ones who screwed him were Irish Subbies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Balagan wrote: »

Sad to see the very harsh tone of some of the replies to the OP.
    Indeed
    My HOLE
    I have a cousin who had six different birth certs in London in the 80s claiming 6 times, wise up we screwed the Brits for years. My old man worked on the sites in England and the only ones who screwed him were Irish Subbies.
    This in very many cases on both accounts is correct .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Please keep posts on topic and helpful. Too much personal abuse, name calling, trolling messages happening on this thread. Next person to post anything that does not help the OP will be banned for 2 weeks.

OP as an EU citizen you have a right to travel freely. However, you cannot just pick a country of choice and go there to claim social welfare. The habitual residence condition in in place for that. Have a look at this on www.welfare.ie. It has been covered many times previously on this forum.
    To satisfy this there are 5 factors that are looked at.
    Your nature and purpose of your residency here - if you come here to work and claim social welfare while doing so, you won't meet this condition. On the other hand if you came here to take up an employment offer it would be different.
    Your length of time and centre of interest could not be considered in Ireland as you have just arrived.
    You don't have an employment record here.
    You do not have any family links or ties here.

You shouldn't have been told to go home to Scotland - you are welcome to stay as long as you like as long as you don't have to rely on Social Welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Stop being rude to the OP. Hey came here with intent to find a job, and was curious as to whether he could avail of welfare until he found one. I highly doubt he came here just to get welfare - So stop judging him. Whatever happened to Irish hospitality? The Scottish people have been nothing but nice to me anytime I've met them.

As for your question - Unfortunately, you cannot avail of benefits. Perhaps you might continue to look for work, but if you cannot get sorted - head back to Scotland for a while and try look for jobs online prior to coming over. best of luck in the job search!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

OP

Google medical device manufacturers in Co Galway.

Some of them are taking on temps, or have been very recently.

You were poorly advised on what to expect before you got here, but there's some work out there and hopefully some help for you if you're serious about finding it. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

OP, you are obviously skilled enough in the internet to post here.

When I moved to Scotland in the mid 90's I was not.

I had to learn things the hard way, and I did.

You had at your resource every question you are asking now re: dole and habitual residence at your fingertips.

Some people here are asking for respect or politeness to be offered towards you.

You have come on here with posts similar to some kind of low-level intelligence yob would make claiming that this state 'owes' you something, because as a potential tax payer in the future that may be part of your taxes?!

Get tae fúck

Never once said the Irish state owes me anyt hing?????
    Yes i have been very ill informed and yes i should of done more research and as i have already said what could of been done in hindsite.
    The fact is i am leaving your country to go back to Scotland with nothing but a total lack of respect for your country and not all but most its people. I have worked lived in UK, Parts of Africa, Europe, and the U.S.A for over a year. And i have never meet a more racist bigoted jealous begrudging race of people. Too think half my family live here and the other half emigrated to parts of the UK fills me full of shame.
    I will be gone from Ireland Monday and will never return or promote this country. Bob Geldof was right this is and still is a banana republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'd disagree with dublinjock - but he's right. The self-righteous attitudes shown in this thread have been disgraceful, and are a poor reflection of Irish society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

dublin jock try the nearest medical centre, there is usually a health board officials office there, ask in reception, you may get something, for a country thats skint some posters here are unbelivable, also a visit to a halting site will get you a lot of info, them people are entitled to automatic dole, plus they they know the system inside out. and how to milk it properly.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    dublin jock try the nearest medical centre, there is usually a health board officials office there, ask in reception, you may get something, for a country thats skint some posters here are unbelivable, also a visit to a halting site will get you a lot of info, them people are entitled to automatic dole, plus they they know the system inside out. and how to milk it properly.

You didnt even bother to read my opening comment, so why comment on something that you havent read.
    I said what do you think is it right or wrong, remember the UK is next door one day you might have kids grand kids that might go to the UK and as in times of past they could be treated and get the same as someone born in the UK. If this arrangememt is now stay in your own land then long term this worse for Irish people. As ive stated look at the big picture here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

OP if you have an issue with a post, report it, and try not to be dragged off topic by flaming and trolling.

flutered banned for 2 weeks.

I am going to lock this thread now because I think I and a couple of others have answered the original question on how the system here works.
    And to be honest I don't have the time or the patience to be on this thread with some of the comments people are leaving to this OP.

Everyone should have a read of the forum charter before posting in this forum again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement