Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate refuse to pay ESB!! what to do?

Options
  • 22-11-2010 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi there. ESB bill is on me and I moving out at the end of this month so when we recived ESB bill recently my flatmate said that she won't pay because of beef we had a month earlier. what my option now ? any ideas how to make her pay that bill ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Do you have a lease signed each? whats the landlord's stance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 G1S8

RedXIV wrote: »
    Do you have a lease signed each? whats the landlord's stance?

There is three people living, and we are all on the lease. All signed. Haven't spoken with landlord yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

hi G1S8,

so if i recall from your previous posting, you and your friend (and his GF) are living together... and you were not happy with her dominating the household etc etc....

my advise to you is to just pay the bill, cut your losses and GTFO of there...

the bill is in your name and you are liable for it... just pay it and chalk it down to experience... you seem to be having an awful time there...

are all the bills in your name? or just esb.. ? maybe you can off set it against something else....?

hi G1S8,

so if i recall from your previous posting, you and your friend (and his GF) are living together... and you were not happy with her dominating the household etc etc....

my advise to you is to just pay the bill, cut your losses and GTFO of there...

the bill is in your name and you are liable for it... just pay it and chalk it down to experience... you seem to be having an awful time there...

are all the bills in your name? or just esb.. ? maybe you can off set it against something else....?

Yeah still there and only this stupid girl refused to pay. Well i know that at the end of the day i will have to pay that bill but I'm just askin for any advice on it, i don't know maybe someone here had similar expirience with flatmate.
    Wondering on calling ESB and asking them. Maybe i could prove that they have been living with me at that time ?? any ideas ?

and NO i can't off set it against something else. there is only one bill on me. ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

not really mate. You could try talking to the landlord, if it mentions bills in the lease then you might be able to get him to have a word with your flatmate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ask him to take the bill out of the deposit for all three of you and move out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Did you keep track of any previous payments made to yourself by her for esb bills? If so small claims court would be you next port of call IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tell her that you'll arrange for the ESB to be cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Victor wrote: »

Now this is an option that I like. It seems a bit harsh on her boyfriend, but, if you tell her this will be the result she may well cop on.

TBH, there's a point at which you really out to just go 'feck it', for your own peace of mind, and just leave it and chalk it up to experience.

I'm stubborn enough to probably go with Victor's route though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

G1S8 wrote: »
    Wondering on calling ESB and asking them. Maybe i could prove that they have been living with me at that time ?? any ideas ?

The ESB are not going to care about any domestic situation you are having. They provided power to your flat which was used and the name on the bill is yours. Your issue is with your flatmate refusing to pay. You either need to sit down and talk to her or cut your loss and move. I would happily close the ESB account when you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Wouldn't that affect the OPs account record with them.
    Is there not a reconnection fee?

My suggestion is an extreme one, but can get results. There is a difference between a threat to cut it off and actually having it cut off.
    Wouldn't that affect the OPs account record with them.
    Hardly. They are moving out, they are closing the account. they would of course have to pay the bill.
    Is there not a reconnection fee?
    For the flatmates to pay.

they would of course have to pay the bill.
    Realised this after my post :)

I'd say don't mention cutting them off, give them a last chance to pay. If not, pay up and get it disconnected

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

my flatmate said that she won't pay because of beef we had a month earlier. what my option now ? any ideas how to make her pay that bill ?
    As others have said, tell her that either she pays the bill or you'll tell the ESB to cut the power when you pay the bill :D
    hobochris wrote: »
    If so small claims court would be you next port of call IMO.
    Small claims court is you against a business, so no, the SCC will be of no help here.

sorry i had to go out to see one house.. still on the loook for one :-/.

So let me get this straight, You'r saying that if I disconnect electricity in apartment they will have to pay a reconnection fee ? Because they are staying there, it's only me that moving out.

the_syco wrote: »
    Small claims court is you against a business, so no, the SCC will be of no help here.
    Actually, I understand there is precedent for joint household expenses going through the SCC.

sorry i had to go out to see one house.. still on the loook for one :-/.

So let me get this straight, You'r saying that if I disconnect electricity in apartment they will have to pay a reconnection fee ? Because they are staying there, it's only me that moving out.
    Yes they'll have to setup a new account in their name and pay reconnection fee. If you tell them they could possibly call esb and organise to transfer the esb before you disconnect it. They've possibly already done this, as they hardly expect to keep using your named account

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

@ OP...

Are you getting your deposit back when you move out??? are the two of them going to give you back your portion of the deposit you paid? I doubt you will get this off the agent / landlord if they are continuing lease....

i suppose it doesnt really matter... even if you transfer the account into another name then u still have to clear the balance... or ESB will chase you forever for it :(

your one seems to be a complete b1tch who clearly wanted the place for herself and her man... unfortunately you got stuck in the middle... chalk it up to experience... this is why many people will not rent with a couple..

1. Cancel the esb when you leave, they will have to pay reconnection charge which is around €100, i bet your bill prob around this figure.. if she doesnt pay then they get cut off and it will cost her more in the long run....

2. Throw some of her shoes in the bin (just one though, leave the other one there)... this will drive her nuts looking for them :):)

@ OP...

Are you getting your deposit back when you move out??? are the two of them going to give you back your portion of the deposit you paid? I doubt you will get this off the agent / landlord if they are continuing lease....

i suppose it doesnt really matter... even if you transfer the account into another name then u still have to clear the balance... or ESB will chase you forever for it :(

your one seems to be a complete b1tch who clearly wanted the place for herself and her man... unfortunately you got stuck in the middle... chalk it up to experience... this is why many people will not rent with a couple..

1. Cancel the esb when you leave, they will have to pay reconnection charge which is around €100, i bet your bill prob around this figure.. if she doesnt pay then they get cut off and it will cost her more in the long run....

2. Throw some of her shoes in the bin (just one though, leave the other one there)... this will drive her nuts looking for them :):)

i'm moving out beacuse she said that she will give me my deposit back at the end of the month otherwise I would stay to make her life miserable, but then again if i stay and disconnect esb i'm fecked. :-/ so this is one way out situation, i have to GTFO of here and forget about them i guess.

They've possibly already done this, as they hardly expect to keep using your named account

They haven't done this, i'm pretty sure of it, becouse the only thing that matters for them is me moving out at the end of the mont. They do not care about anything else.

• Advertisement

A step too far.

They haven't done this, i'm pretty sure of it, becouse the only thing that matters for them is me moving out at the end of the mont. They do not care about anything else.
    Pay existing bill and disconnect at end of month (have to pay off new balance too)?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Pay your share of it and get it cut off then
    Tell them "if you aren't paying it then I suppose you'll be fine with it being cut off"

bluewolf wrote: »
    Pay your share of it and get it cut off then
    Tell them "if you aren't paying it then I suppose you'll be fine with it being cut off"
    The OP has to live there until the end of the month though

Right lads, Thanks for all the advices, for all the support and Have a good one. Now i know what to do.

Many thanks for all that replay in this post.

Best Regards G1S8.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much is the deposit, and how much is the bill? I'd advise you to get the deposit, and then give her 2 days to pay for the electicity, or you get the ESB to disconnect her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Call ESB now and give a reading, and say you're moving out, they'll send you a closing bill, and send the next one to 'the occupant'
    it won't fix everything, but might close the gap between the money you need to get from them and the money you'd need to get from them if you wait for the next bill to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

i'm moving out beacuse she said that she will give me my deposit back at the end of the month otherwise I would stay to make her life miserable, but then again if i stay and disconnect esb i'm fecked. :-/ so this is one way out situation, i have to GTFO of here and forget about them i guess.

If she won't pay the esb can you trust her to pay the deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes they'll have to setup a new account in their name and pay reconnection fee. If you tell them they could possibly call esb and organise to transfer the esb before you disconnect it. They've possibly already done this, as they hardly expect to keep using your named account

You can ring the ESB now and put a password on the account so they can't access it to change the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

as they hardly expect to keep using your named account

You'd be surprised at what some people will do... A former housemate of mine did this for about 3 years with both ESB and NTL!

As others have recommended, OP, send in a reading to the ESB, and get them to close your account. Make sure you have everything in writing, etc. so that if there is any hassle down the line (which, from the sound of it, wouldn't be completely unexpected from your, soon former, housemate) you have proof that you send in the metre reading and asked for your account to be closed.

Advertisement