Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Emmigrating, skilled workers advise please

Options
  • 22-11-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hey
    Sorry if this is a repeat post but myself and my wife are considering upping sticks to Oz (specifically Brisbane).

I have a mechanical Engineering degree and the wife is a nurse.
    Can anyone advise what the the current market is like for engineers at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I'm and Engineer. Plenty of work in Australia you just need the visa.

See if Qualify

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-applicant.htm

Take a ticket for the long long line.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bakedalaska

There seems to be plenty of work if you have a bit of experience.

I only had about 2 years exp. before I came out but I just got offered sponsorship this week. I found it hard to get it tho but if your willing to make a commitment, most companies will give you a go.

Im doing civil so Im not too sure what the mechanical sector is like.

Id say the way things are in Ireland at the moment, youd be better in OZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Shelga

Sorry to hijack your post OP, just have a quick question myself. I received my degree in Mechanical Engineering this year- would I be right in thinking that a 1 year WHV is all I'd qualify for, seeing as I have next to no practical experience? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

Thanks for the feedback +ive guys,
    Shelga, im probably not the best person to ask as i am in the initial stages of the process. There is a free initial assesment on migrationbureau.co.uk website.
    I know that if you have previous experience you are awarded more points, but i dont know if it will be a show stopper for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Shelga wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack your post OP, just have a quick question myself. I received my degree in Mechanical Engineering this year- would I be right in thinking that a 1 year WHV is all I'd qualify for, seeing as I have next to no practical experience? :confused:
    I think it depends on the sector, and the governing body. I looked into it briefly for myself before, for IT, and i recall that for skilled migration I would've had to complete and receive a positive assessment of my qualifications before applying for any visa. In order to get a positive assessment, had to have x many years experience on top of education.

So i would say in your case, go for the WHV. Have a read through some of the past threads here on the WHV, get the specified work done straight away, and when your 1 year is up, you can apply for a second WHV. Look up immi.gov.au anyway, you might find you can apply for skilled migration, but you might as well go with WHV first anyway. You may find that after you've been there a while you'll get lucky and have an employer sponsor you.

best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement